• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Aya Hirano Claims She Still Receives Death Threats From Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:20 am Reply with quote
It really sucks to hear that Aya Hirano is still receiving death threats even after more than a decade after the incidents that started all this happened. Getting upset to the point of harassing and threatening a celebrity that you like because they dare to have sexual relationships in their private lives is stupid and unacceptable.
King Chicken

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:52 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
2. VAs are wanted for their vocal talents, not their looks. (Unless the VA doubles as an idol.)

Like with any job (and life in general) being attractive is always a plus. Plenty of actors who are also attractive can double dip into gravure work or other modelling opportunities without being an actual full on idol. Selling more gravure photobooks or DVDs gets your name out there and more job opportunities since you'll be more popular and in-demand. But not everyone does it. I personally won't be saying no to Maaya Uchida deciding to do more photobooks next year.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Maybe there is in fact a problem with treating people like commodities instead of humans?

If the people in question agree to commoditize themselves, then there's no problem. It's only a problem if they're unwilling.

This is generally not considered a great approach to matters of human rights.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:

My posts were made in reply to other posts discussing the idol industry, not the original article, but since the context may be lost, let me just say this now: What's happening to Aya Hirano now is not acceptable. Threats, harassment, stalking, and other unlawful behavior is not justifiable, and former fans should move on. Hopefully we can agree on something.

People are responding to your posts because they do not say this. They actively undermine this and encourage those actions. You can’t pretend you believe this while going “Yes the effects are bad, but the causes are very very good.” You’re praising an exploitative system doing exactly what it was designed to do while also putting any blame for it directly on the workers being exploited by trying to hand waive away that you totally don’t support what happens to them but it’s their fault for getting involved. So you can throw a “we all agree” at the end of it all you want, but when you keep proving that you do not actually give a damn about the reason it happens don’t be surprised that others know it is hollow.
Cyan Bloodbane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:03 pm Reply with quote
All because she dared to have a life outside her fans. Wow.

Japanese idol fans need to grow a pair.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Aerdra wrote:

My posts were made in reply to other posts discussing the idol industry, not the original article, but since the context may be lost, let me just say this now: What's happening to Aya Hirano now is not acceptable. Threats, harassment, stalking, and other unlawful behavior is not justifiable, and former fans should move on. Hopefully we can agree on something.

People are responding to your posts because they do not say this. They actively undermine this and encourage those actions. You can’t pretend you believe this while going “Yes the effects are bad, but the causes are very very good.” You’re praising an exploitative system doing exactly what it was designed to do while also putting any blame for it directly on the workers being exploited by trying to hand waive away that you totally don’t support what happens to them but it’s their fault for getting involved. So you can throw a “we all agree” at the end of it all you want, but when you keep proving that you do not actually give a damn about the reason it happens don’t be surprised that others know it is hollow.

Please do not put words in my mouth or pretend to know what I believe. I've maintained that harassment and other transgressions committed by fans are the fault of the fans themselves; not once have I blamed idols for poor fan behavior. The most severe consequence of misconduct by an idol should be termination of employment; threats and such are never justified.

If people want to paint over the whole idol industry with a few bad examples, then I suppose we won't ever find agreement. The anime fandom is often judged by outsiders in the same way.
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:17 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Few things I'm still confused with anime-oriented voice actors in Japan:

1. Is there a line between being a VA and an idol?
Can you become a VA without becoming an idol? Or is it part of the package? Who decides this? Your talent agency? Or the industry?
2. Can you become a VA without being, uh, physically attractive? Can I become a highly sought-after VA if I am able to voice 100 different types of characters from gruff old dude to charming bishonen BUT have a look that would shatter your camera lens?
So you can be an idol and not be a VA and vice versa. Aya Hirano was a pretty unusual and somewhat more extreme case than most.

She was incredibly gifted, and she was attractive so she was marketed as both. Had things turned out differently, I would imagine she would have transitioned into a mainstream tv or movie actress. She was that good, and thats probably why she still is a topic of conversation to this day. I mean, look at this thread, its 5 pages long, spanned several days, and involves someone who hasn't had a major anime roll since 2015.

I imagine that perfect storm of acting talent, looks, personality, and singing ability is what caused her to develop an idol like following even though she wasnt an idol in the more traditional sense.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
Aerdra wrote:

Please do not put words in my mouth or pretend to know what I believe. I've maintained that harassment and other transgressions committed by fans are the fault of the fans themselves; not once have I blamed idols for poor fan behavior. The most severe consequence of misconduct by an idol should be termination of employment; threats and such are never justified.

If people want to paint over the whole idol industry with a few bad examples, then I suppose we won't ever find agreement. The anime fandom is often judged by outsiders in the same way.

Good news! I didn’t put any words in your mouth. You’ve said them every single post including this one!
You’ve once again referred to “misconduct” as if that’s what happened in this case or any other with humans having human relationships. You keep stating that you disagree with the “consequences” of such actions, but still think there should be consequences! Hey it’s the exact entitlement and misogyny that led to the thing you supposedly condemn. How cool and neat. It’s a very cool thing that the industry you’re very defensive about markets those exact attitudes and ownership of exploited worker and then brushes it off as “bad apples” while they cultivate the entire orchard made entirely from seeds of bad apples.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:55 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Aerdra wrote:

Good news! I didn’t put any words in your mouth. You’ve said them every single post including this one!
You’ve once again referred to “misconduct” as if that’s what happened in this case or any other with humans having human relationships. You keep stating that you disagree with the “consequences” of such actions, but still think there should be consequences! Hey it’s the exact entitlement and misogyny that led to the thing you supposedly condemn. How cool and neat. It’s a very cool thing that the industry you’re very defensive about markets those exact attitudes and ownership of exploited worker and then brushes it off as “bad apples” while they cultivate the entire orchard made entirely from seeds of bad apples.

Misconduct in this case is breach of employment contract, the consequence of which is naturally termination of employment. Most idols come and go without incident; most fans do not cause any problems. It is dishonest to pick a few bad apples and use them to represent the orchard.

I've made clear what I find unacceptable. I've repeated that I believe what happened to Aya Hirano is unjustifiable. If you or anyone else want to make more straw men of me and skewer them, have at it.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
Misconduct in this case is breach of employment contract, the consequence of which is naturally termination of employment. Most idols come and go without incident; most fans do not cause any problems. It is dishonest to pick a few bad apples and use them to represent the orchard.

I've made clear what I find unacceptable. I've repeated that I believe what happened to Aya Hirano is unjustifiable. If you or anyone else want to make more straw men of me and skewer them, have at it.

I've been out of this conversation because you're clearly a lost cause, but nobody's making a straw man out of you. You're defending a predatory industry that encourages the exact type of fanbase that stalks, sends death threats, and assaults these young women. And when they speak out about it, they are forced to apologize to their fans for "making trouble." People in this thread have tried to point it out again and again, but it doesn't get into your skull. You have outright stated that it's fine for this industry to exploit and make these young girls into commodities, because they "consented" to it. You've also said that the industry doesn't need reforms because of...how much money it's making. Just a reminder of that one.

Also, FYI, "don't date anyone" is a crappy job requirement, and only serves to enhance the parasocial relationship between otaku and the idols they obsess over by convincing them that they're available. Thus leading, again, to the stalking, the assaults, the death threats, etc.

You seem to think the industry has changed, but the reality is that it hasn't. You just won't hear about what these girls are going through until their contracts are well behind them and they no longer need to rely on it for their careers. Until they've aged into adulthood, at the minimum.
LadonTree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:39 am Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:

Also, FYI, "don't date anyone" is a crappy job requirement, and only serves to enhance the parasocial relationship between otaku and the idols they obsess over by convincing them that they're available.

It's a crappy requirement, but it's what brings in the big bucks. They would make a lot less if they didn't. It only a problem when idols want to start dating but also keep the fat paycheck.
[/quote]
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:54 am Reply with quote
LadonTree wrote:
It's a crappy requirement, but it's what brings in the big bucks. They would make a lot less if they didn't. It only a problem when idols want to start dating but also keep the fat paycheck.

...Are you serious? Because I literally just pointed out the problem with this, but to make it explicit: this is a problem because women (like the one in this article, shockingly enough) receive death threats a decade after "betraying their fans" by having sex. There is no world in which this is acceptable, and there is a direct line between this employment requirement and this result.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Aerdra wrote:
Maybe there is in fact a problem with treating people like commodities instead of humans?

If the people in question agree to commoditize themselves, then there's no problem. It's only a problem if they're unwilling.

This is generally not considered a great approach to matters of human rights.

Going back to basics here:

It doesn't matter if it's the Idol Industry, sports, anime, Adult Video, sex work, agriculture or whatever else one can think of: Their personal life is their personal life. They sell you their, work, their service, their product, and that's where it ends. Their private life is their own personal sphere, ruled by themselves, mostly.

You can call it the pursuit of happiness.

Shay Guy wrote:
People are allowed to fall in love; to deny so is to deny their personhood.

"The freedom to love is a fundamental human right."
"That's not something I expect to hear from an idol."
-Oshi no Ko

…It's gonna be fun seeing the kinds of discussions that pop up when that starts airing.

OK. This sounds promissing.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:47 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
We aren't comparing a bigot to Hirano. There's absolutely zero things in common between those two situations and you couldn't blow that anti-trans dogwhistle any louder.
Aerdra wrote:

I didn't say that the idol industry needs reform; I was actually implying the opposite, given the industry's growth. If there are enough people replacing those who leave, it means there are enough people who don't feel exploited. And like I said before, those who do feel that the idol job description is burdensome should find a different line of work, which may or may not include alternative avenues in the entertainment industry.
You can't be serious. People take exploitative jobs out of a means for survival constantly and add the glow of potential fame to a teen/ young adult who puts their trust in management and you have a recipe for disaster. It doesn't matter if the "incels" hold the money or if for some reason you think dancing 22 year olds shouldn't have sex because you bought their CD. It's messed up. Death threats are not ok. Just quit engaging with their work if they aren't "pure" enough for you (gross).

First, I just want to thank Lynzee Loveridge for her anti-trans dogwhistle comment. I agree 1000%. Second, I don't know what I find more mind blowing:
  1. The comments initially made by user Aedra; or
  2. The fact that user Aedra has been unrepentantly defending their comments.
    If you're in a hole, then you should stop digging.
    Just sayin'
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Aerdra wrote:
We'll have to disagree on the "morality" aspect of the idol industry, because we hold different values and beliefs, and I figure those participating in or supporting it have their own opinions.

Being an idol is a job. You're not forced to accept that job, and no one is forced to offer you that job. If you're want to receive all the benefits of that job, you're expected to abide by all the requirements of that job. It's as simple as doing what you're supposed to do.

If people in the idol industry think the job requirements are immoral, they should leave. If enough talent leaves and too few new talent joins, the industry will be forced to reform itself or collapse. Until then, idols are simply people doing a certain job with specific requirements.

If only things were that easy.

I'll start off by saying that I love Love Live! (as you can surely tell by my chosen avatar). Outside of that, my contact with Idol music is somewhat limited, since I prefer the J-Rock, J-Metal and Visual Kei, when it comes to Japanese Music. Anime wise, I also love the Macross series (including Delta, perhaps specially), and Zombieland Saga.

I find the aesthetics of idols fascinating, and yes, appealing.

From a legal standpoint, this sort of contract is currently not illegal, though you can make the case that they are unconstitutional. But as of now, they're legal, so technically, you can say the employer has the power to impose such contracts.

However, the market does not exist in a vacuum. People work in it, people consume it. It is both a product of society and a influencer of said society. If it's profitable to do so, then the market will have incentives to ruin people's lives, perhaps without thinking of itself as ruining people's lives, but rather as being efficient in its purpose of generating profit.

Having an economy is important, but we can't have one at all cost[/b]. They do this because one of their most profitable markets is men with generally little social skills and bad obsessions regarding sexuality (themselves victims and perpetrators of all the things that are wrong with Japan).

The Idol industry has a culture by which people cannot express problems or even a personality. In neighbouring South Korea, such a similar state of affairs led to the death of some of their most famous singers, such a Sulli.

In Japanese culture, if you make too many waves, you are a troublemaker. In that sort of culture (which, I argue, the West isn't too different from), anybody complaining about anything isn't reading the room, and should learn how to take it, suffer in silence. To suffer in silence is seen as a sign of maturity (and again I say that the West isn''t too different).

Being an idol is not like being in a restaurant. There are people who dream about it, and who will witstand 'till the point of suicide, if it's what it takes. And management knows how far many are willing to go.

https://soranews24.com/2019/03/25/idol-says-her-on-stage-apology-after-being-attacked-was-something-her-managers-forced-her-to-do/

https://soranews24.com/2019/01/16/there-are-many-mentally-unwell-girls-in-akb48-claims-ex-member-of-japans-top-idol-singer-group/

We also have the sad story of what may happen if you even had like one nude photo before, in some cases.

https://soranews24.com/2016/05/07/anime-talent-agency-explicitly-rejects-voice-actress-applicants-who-have-appeared-in-pornography/

I would like to add that there are idols and former idols who have criticized this policy, present in most (but not all) idol groups. Rino Sashihara, back then a member of HKT48 and formerly in AKB48 and STU48, celebrated a love confession between two (female) idols, and went on to say:

“Seeing them so happy together, and also that there was a love triangle, it makes me think once again that no-romance rules for idols are shit.”

https://soranews24.com/2018/03/20/lesbian-idols-confession-of-love-prompts-veteran-to-say-idol-romance-restrictions-are-shit/

Meanwhile, there is societal change, as most college men agree with idol's freedoms and rights.

https://soranews24.com/2016/08/27/idol-singer-dating-bans-are-unnecessary-say-majority-of-japanese-college-men-in-survey/

And it seems some courts side with idols' bodily autonomy.

https://soranews24.com/2016/01/19/japanese-judge-dismisses-lawsuit-against-idol-singer-who-violated-contracts-no-dating-clause/

To sum it up:

Things are going to change because there is a slow-mounting pressure to do so, even from within, and Hirano Aya-san being open about what she is going through is part of that process. At some people, the people wiling to shun the Idol industry will have enough sway to at least reevaluate certain aspects of Idol culture, much like the mental health discussion in South Korea.

All of this because there is a greater concensus against treating idols as property, and mandating people's love and sex life is treating people as property.

Restricting people's lives even if for a market logic, specially if for serving a market logic is immoral.

This isn't to say anything about what we personally consider moral or not. But the general restriction of other people's freedom for the sake of someone's idea of morality or for the sake of a product is inherently immoral.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6