• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anairis Quiñones to No Longer Voice Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Englis

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N V

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Price added in a post from his Twitter account that he no longer auditions for roles of characters that are people of color, and that it was a "difficult decision to say no" to his casting for the role, but welcomed Mesa's casting. [...]. In the story of the anime and manga, Chad is a character of Mexican and Japanese descent. Mesa hails from Cuba.

Hahaha, comedically genius paragraph construction. Perfect punchline.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:08 am Reply with quote
Kusakabe wrote:
It feels like we're moving further away from 'legacy' casts. The Twitter Generation of Voice Actors really feel like they want to focus on their friends and their cliques and want to push the older generations out so they can play their favorite characters in redubs. Games get anime adaptations and they don't even bother trying to get anyone back.
Voice actors are becoming more and more replaceable and it kinda sucks...
But they're not really doing anything to stop it. So...

Legacy casts isn’t really a thing in American voice acting it’s why for example as much as people held the late Kevin Conroy as the definitive Batman why there were multiple different actors voicing the character in newer animation and video games. Even while Conroy was still alive and able to voice the character.

Kougeru wrote:
As an Asian person though, I can't understand why the color of a voice actor matters anyway. Most anime characters are Japanese. Most English voice actors are not Asian. It doesn't matter and roles should not be decided by the actors skin color. It's honestly just racism to choose by skin color. Yoruichi isn't even black. She's Japanese with dark tone.

So casting a black actor in the role to "match" wasn't even accurate. Cast for acting ability and if the voice fits the character. Nothing else matters. Cast completely unknown people if need be, if they're the best fit.

This seems a bit funny in light of the still simmering feelings over Scarlett Johansson’s casting as the Major in the GiTS live action adaptation. Even with them having the out of the Major being a cyborg who regularly replaces bodies. Hell DragonBall Evolution still gets complaints over non Asian actors being used for the very distinctly non Asian characters.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:08 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Wait, Anairis "deserves" a role "permanently" but Wendee doesn't deserve to continue a role she's already established in and mostly likely (not buying the "scheduling" explanation) was recast due to politics of voice/race of VAs and fictional characters?

No, I don't really care about politics and race etc. For me, it's just about being respectful to fellow actors (and people in general) which Wendee was not.

I admit I could've used better words though, sorry about that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
juaifan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:38 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
No, I don't really care about politics and race etc. For me, it's just about being respectful to fellow actors (and people in general) which Wendee was not.

If being respectful was a required criteria to work in voice acting then there would be very few people in the industry. You don't have to be nice to work in television or film. Most celebrities are complete not-so-nice-people on Twitter and attack and berate people constantly. There's a reason people say to not to look at your favorite actor's Twitter account. Wendee Lee herself has said far worse in the past without anyone caring, probably because it was directed towards people they also dislike so they were fine with her acting that way or threatening to blacklist people in the past.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:53 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Legacy casts isn’t really a thing in American voice acting it’s why for example as much as people held the late Kevin Conroy as the definitive Batman why there were multiple different actors voicing the character in newer animation and video games. Even while Conroy was still alive and able to voice the character.

[...]

This seems a bit funny in light of the still simmering feelings over Scarlett Johansson’s casting as the Major in the GiTS live action adaptation. Even with them having the out of the Major being a cyborg who regularly replaces bodies. Hell DragonBall Evolution still gets complaints over non Asian actors being used for the very distinctly non Asian characters.

I'm not sure which America you're from but legacy voice acting is definitely a thing. Just take your Kevin Conroy example. He was the DCAU Batman in Batman TAS, The New Batman Adventures, guest starred on Superman TAS, Batman Beyond, guest starred on The Zeta Project, Justice League, guest starred on Static Shock, Justice League Unlimited, and several feature length movies. On top of that he guest starred on other Batman series in guest roles including live action for Batwoman. Then voicing Batman for the Arkham games and voicing for the Justice League Action cartoon because fan nostalgia sells. He voiced a parody Batman/Superman character on The Venture Bros. called Captain Sunshine. That's just Kevin Conroy.

There's Futurama that's been cancelled twice and now on its third run with all the same actors. Bender's VA even trended when he was almost recast.

Any VA change of any notoriety of American productions I can think of has someone that can recreate the original VA's voice with the audience not being able to tell the difference if they hadn't known there was a change. Cleveland from Family Guy, Rick and Morty (and Mr. Poopybutthole) come to mind. Looney Toon characters have maintained the same voices even after many VA changes over the decades. Same with Disney characters.

Really it's only when a show is rebooted that they change VAs because they are going in a different direction from the original and want to make sure the audience doesn't confuse the new show with older versions. Many different iterations of Ben 10, TMNT, Marvel and DC characters, etc. They do still find time for cameos of VA from those legacy series. They had the original Lion-o VA from Thundercats voice the 2012 Lion-o's father and then he once again voiced his original Lion-o on a crossover episode of Teen Titans GO and Thundercats Roar. Kevin Conroy even voiced Batman in a episode of Teen Tians GO.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:07 am Reply with quote
juaifan wrote:
If being respectful was a required criteria to work in voice acting then there would be very few people in the industry. You don't have to be nice to work in television or film. Most celebrities are complete not-so-nice-people on Twitter and attack and berate people constantly. There's a reason people say to not to look at your favorite actor's Twitter account. Wendee Lee herself has said far worse in the past without anyone caring, probably because it was directed towards people they also dislike so they were fine with her acting that way or threatening to blacklist people in the past.

I realize that and it's a shame, but yeah, it happens. Wish it just didn't have to.

It's more of a personal principal, I suppose. I'm not aware of thing Wendee has said in the past, but have very low tolerance for such behaviour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:23 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Seen so many comments in this same beat and no one actually rebuking them and it's driving me insane. Black isnt a nationality. Japanese isnt a race. There are Japanese people who are also Black. Just like there are Asian Americans or White Latinos. This is -to put it kindly- a mind-bogglingly ridiculous argument against the casting of POC voice actors. To presume that Black and Japanese are mutually exclusive is not just plain ignorance but straight up racist and it's embarrassing that it's a narrative still so pervasive in anime fandom communities in this day and age

In the first place It shouldn't matter what color the VA happens to be in correlation to the character. This whole debacle would be a lot more healthy if that aspect was stripped away and and it was only about the argument between Quiñones and Lee...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:35 am Reply with quote
Regardless of whether you want to "see" color or wish you could ignore the racial aspects of the situation, they exist. It's honestly offensive to suggest as much when one party in this situation has to live as a Black person and deal with all that entails, but comments like the above come in and want to pretend it's not a factor in anything. Because it's inconvenient. If you can't have those sort of nuanced conversations, it's free to say nothing at all.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
Well, if you want, I can state my opinion on it. If the role of Yoruichi was recast solely because the producers wanted a PoC in that role, it was a wrong decision. It was also wrong of Lee to go after Quiñones because ultimately none of it was her fault, she should have laid the blame on the producers...
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:55 am Reply with quote
Another part of simply being Black or a PoC is people hypothesizing you were cast for no reason other than your skin color.
Anime_Dawn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:00 am Reply with quote
The amount of people constantly claiming POC only got a role due to 'diversity' is a slap in the face to their talent.

These are people who have had roles for years, showing their talents, and yet each time they land a role that is also a POC we see these takes. It's disheartening and disappointing to see in the community.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:37 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Well, if you want, I can state my opinion on it. If the role of Yoruichi was recast solely because the producers wanted a PoC in that role, it was a wrong decision. It was also wrong of Lee to go after Quiñones because ultimately none of it was her fault, she should have laid the blame on the producers...

You know that your opinion isn't like, more correct by trailing off with ellipses, yeah?
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Anime_Dawn wrote:
The amount of people constantly claiming POC only got a role due to 'diversity' is a slap in the face to their talent.

These are people who have had roles for years, showing their talents, and yet each time they land a role that is also a POC we see these takes. It's disheartening and disappointing to see in the community.

In most situations where people make the POC hire accusations I would agree. However, this is a situation where most of the original cast returned with at least one character's VA, Chad, was replaced when the original VA decided not to return to the role due in part, in my opinion, not wanting to be wrapped up in the controversy at the time of white VAs voicing POC characters.

Now I happen to believe Viz initially decided to make that a precedent and recast the other notable POC character voiced by a white VA. I have a hard time believing Wendee Lee would go on such a destructive twitter tirade against her colleagues' tweets of support for Anairis Quiñones if she wasn't upset to not have gotten the same outreach from the same colleagues when she didn't get to reprise her role. I suppose you could take the claim that she didn't know her colleagues didn't realize she was the original VA at face value but along with the "scheduling conflict" just sounds like damage control to save face for Viz's poor decision making and Lee's diva behavior.

I just think the big corporation doing virtue signaling to the twitter generation and entitled white lady freaking out seems more plausible an explanation.
Anime_Dawn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Or...they wanted to try something different with a character and a POC got the role.

Assuming it was race based only helps perpetuate the problem and again...slap in the face of their talent. Everyone auditioned and got a part.

As for why she didn't get an out pouring of sympathy...she never posted about it. From the outside looking in, it looks like she was on board. Beyond that, if we add in all the stories that came out after this outburst, and also how most of the VA responses honestly sounded afraid of her retaliating towards them...she's not really ingratiated herself to anyone.

And the only source for why this happened is rather biased and I question it tbh. A scheduling error doesn't explain a month of work nor the time it takes to record. Especially questionable when Lee was already involved in the production.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:14 pm Reply with quote
It goes without saying that Wendee Lee was waaaaaay out of line. But I think the article sidesteps the bigger conversations being had and that we need to have about the lack of opportunities for POC and LGBT+ voice actors. So often, the only roles actors like Quiñones or Zeno Robinson or A.J. Beckles get are characters of the same hue, and often they're competing for those roles *against* the Wendee Lees of the world. There are actors who have changed their stage names to sound less ethnic, a classic Hollywood tale, and there are actors who only get sent Black roles or whatever.

And you look outside anime, similar conversations are happening around western cartoons like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Big Mouth.

Calling Quiñones or anyone else a diversity hire is an insult to their talent and to all the other voice actors like them trying to get by. She deserves all the good things that will come her way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10