• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Linkin Park Anime Style Video and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
Berserker77 wrote:
By the way, The Clash was just a watered down rip-off of a group called The Crass, so the Clash itself was something in the way of a marketing scheme. I find it hard to believe they get half of the credit that they do, but I digress

Shocked

OK, I don't know how albums like Sandanista! and London Calling, which have good musicianship and a variety of musical styles, can be considered "a watered down rip-off of Crass" who, by the way, formed a year after The Clash.

Not for nothing but i think the Clash as well as Punk pioneers The Damned,The Ramones etc.; contributed a lot to today's rock music and help to pave the way for many musicians besides addressing social injustices and such.
the aforemention band(s) used high speed guitar riffs,raging melodic lyrics and even experimented with Reggae. (I.E. Clash's Bank Robber.) The thought of Clash being some marketing ploy is laughable at best.If it werewn't for guys like these, there might have not been a Linkin park and so forth.And speaking of which, Hybrid Theory is still their best CD as far as i'm concerned. (If anysong should get the Anime treatment it shouldv'e been Sinking.)i had already got the impression that Chester and the rest of LP are into Anime, just by this cover of their second release;Reanimation. I have yet to see any of their videos, for i cannot stomach the "lame trendy" network that is MTV. (At least the Spider-man animated series was cool.)
Cool

Last edited by the_soultaker on Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
lLost SoulL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:17 am Reply with quote
I don't profess to be a scholar on anime, but I have seen my share. Cowboy Bebop has to be one of my fav's. It seems to me that Anime has its share of crap and awe-inspiring work, so I don't see the point in stating that Linkin Park will stain the sancitity of anime. And yes, anime is getting more popular. There's even some of MTV2, Heat Guy J, which I just don't know whether I care enough about to try it out.

Personally, I love the style of Kill Bill and this video (I also love Linkin Park and the song) It seems to be made for motion though, as it seems to kind of blur and flow in a beautiful way to my eyes. Standing alone is a different story. However, if it isn't AS beautiful as it is in motion, it certainly isn't horrible. Ed, Edd, and Eddie. HAH! Sure, the faces aren't exact, and are a bit unappealing when examined closely, but I'd say they didn't do half bad of a job. Of course, the video doesn't seem to make much sense, but then again how many videos do? I can probably count the ones I know that relate to the song on one hand. And, the Kid's Story sequence I found mesmerizing and very fitting. I mean, how great is it to show the surrealism of the matrix by distorting images in the sequence? I don't know about you, but it seemed perfect for the story, and it seemed to me that in the end, when Kid revived, that things were much clearer when he was in the "real" world. Of course, I love the smooth anime as well, but I find this new kind of style refreshing. At least they're trying something new instead of sticking to the old untill it gets beaten to death.

And yes, modern music isn't the best to come out of our history, but Linkin Park is certainly not the worst example of this. Shallow lyrics? Look at a rap song, THERE you'll find shallow lyrics. Just because a song doesn't give a political statement or makes you think particularly hard doesn't mean it can't be meaningful. Sometimes music is made as a release from tension and a way to stop your brain from overloading. My taste in music is really based on one rule. It has to make me feel something poignant, and I find that in Linkin Park. Other things such as meaningful lyrics, etc. really come later and yes, make songs more special. Linkin Park's lyrics are generalized, but certainly not shallow.

Of course, I'm not here to force anything on anyone. But I'd rather you not consider that Linkin Park is the bane of anything it touches just because you don't like them. You really could do far worse than LP.

Great quote btw, about rage? Sums up the band perfectly I'd have to admit!

Shout out to all the Rush, Tool, Rage, (and others) fans out there. AWESOME!!!
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to finally of gotten to see the video, and though I wasn't stunned, I think the animation was still fantastic. It's gritty, and like most of you have said, looks like the animatrix's kid story, but so what? So it doesn't have the usual wide eyed, solid colors, anime style shadows, ect. I understand those who dislike it because it doesn't "look" anime, but well... anime is an artform, and it's not limited by rules. Anyway, I loved the detail in the character designs, and I especially loved the closeups of the one girl's face. When the band came out it reminded me much of Black Heaven's opening.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Ironically, this song would be perfect for a future DBZ movie.
AnimEdge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I was disapointed in this myself, LP is over played but i liked them the first 50k times, there overplaying is one reason i dont listen to radio stations, and mtv not being music tv anymore is why i stoped watching that, so i watch the video off there site, i think the first time i have ever been to the mtv site, but over all im disapointed in this video, i figured that IG would run with the darkish energy in the song but instead they did some rehash of Kill Bill Animation whitch was really well done(the kill bill animation), i allways liked IG becouse they all way change there style, GITS's style is diffrent from Kill Bill's style whitch is diffrent than FLCL's style, there all ways changing styles so i expected something diffrent, is it me or did it seam that they just played the same 6 clips over and over both backwards and forwards untill they where doing the roof scene, that actually looked very fluid and smooth untill they showed closes ups on there faces, ugh. It seams that maybe IG was just out for the money this time, or maybe one end of the group eather IG or LP misunderstood or missaid what they wanted the video to look like and it came out looking like this, who knows sence LP doesnt ever say what studio did the Kill Bill animation but just refere to them as the people who did kill bill, maybe thats what IG thought they wanted was Kill Bill style, or maybe IG thought that would be the best way to do it, who knows, eather way im disapointed in the video
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quick note: I.G didn't do the LP video, it was GDH (GONZO Digimation Holding)
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Who said that The Clash wasn't musically talented? And that they were a ripoff? Because somebody said them, and now I'm mad.

Coarse Limely: Your fascist ranting against "messy animation" also makes me very angry. Just because it doesn't look like some ultra-slick uber-processed Gonzo anime doesn't make it worthless and ugly, unless you're too ignorant to understand how animation was MEANT to accomodate any infinite number of different styles and techniques.

Now a haiku:
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEA-UHL
Linkin Park sucks bad.

What I find funny about these guys is that they're, like, 30 years old and they grew up in the suburban Phoenix/Scottsdale area or whatever. What are they screaming and ranting about again? Waiting in line at the deli?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:27 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
What I find funny about these guys is that they're, like, 30 years old and they grew up in the suburban Phoenix/Scottsdale area or whatever. What are they screaming and ranting about again? Waiting in line at the deli?

Who says that everyone in a small nice town is happy and has no problems? That has to be perhaps one of the most uniformed comments I have ever head. Where you come from can effect some part of your personality and how you think, but there's a whole load of other stuff that can effect it just as much, if not more. I live in a small little everyone's family redneck town, and I'm told I need therapy, and am in some pretty bad depression.
Kal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Hm, I really don't understand the whole commotion over the LP music vid, but in my opinion, I think it's definitely neat and a wonderful take on incorporating anime into music videos, Kill Bill style or not, IG or Gonzo Rolling Eyes But putting those aside, and just looking at the video as itself, I thought that the style with all its dark messy lines added a lot of character, especially towards the story of the video. It fitted very well with the whole darkness theme and added the necessary confusion. But maybe that's just me Wink

LordByronius wrote:

Well, I don't find it all that weird that they are in their 30s. There are numerous bands out there who are actually around that age as well. Besides, who says that you can't rant about waiting in a deli line? Those things can be a pain in the ass Anime exclamation But yeah... LP is free to scream/sing/rant about whatever they want -- even if you can't comprehend what they mean sometimes, but then again, how many music nowadays make a lot of sense? Anime smile + sweatdrop
Animefreak08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
LordByronius wrote:

I live in a small little everyone's family redneck town, and I'm told I need therapy, and am in some pretty bad depression.

Welcome to the club. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:49 pm Reply with quote
It wasn't thaat bad. The music actually fit in with the animation, and the song was somewhat decent. Coming from a non-linkin park fan, this is actually a good AMV with Linkin Park music. =P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
khy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
woops.

i remember an article elsewhere stating that it was Production IG, i guess they switched the production company at some time.

It still looks incredible and incredibly like the anime sequence in KB Vol.1
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Coarse Limely wrote:

Sorry about the whole "Gaytron" thing. What I meant to say is that linkin park's shallow lyrics and merely passable musical talent offend my deeper anime sensibilities.

I think people just have a problem with Linkin Park because they're so huge. I mean their cd is still at the top of rap/rock/pop chart and selling more then anyone else. For that reason that they're selling more then any other band get people mad that thier band isn't do as well....

Oh yea this quote is so silly, I wonder if this guy is so despert to find an excuse to hate a band or just not thinking at all. "Deeper anime sensibilities" get real.

Also different style use in Animatrix is awesome. People hate it because they dont' understand the style being used. Just listen to the director's commentary about each video and you'll get a better understand of directin and style.

LordByronius wrote:

Now a haiku:
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN
THESE WOUNDS THEY WILL NOT HEA-UHL
Linkin Park sucks bad.

With a user name like "lord" byronius, you sound like some a 30 year old dude. Perhaps that's why you can't comprehend or even relate to the music. Actually they grew up in the suburb of Los Angeles... and in L.A. is a complicated place to live.
Also those two lyric you quoted from crawling, they're describing how a person feel about insecurity...you did know that right? (Assuming anyone with half a brain would)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
So it doesn't have the usual wide eyed, solid colors, anime style shadows, ect. I understand those who dislike it because it doesn't "look" anime, but well...

I don't care if it doesn't "look" anime, I still think it's ugly. The execution was a bit off thanks to overuse of the good 'ole rotoscope. If they wanted to make it look stylish and ragged, they should have gone all the way and actually distorted the band members' proportions a la Kid's Story. Simply tracing live human movement and bumping the camera to compensate for the inevitably slower appearance of the action doesn't cut it. Just reminds me of my crappy, sketchy motion studies from my Life Drawing class.

Of course, the parts where they didn't merely draw over live footage actually weren't that bad. The parts where they just traced the band were a little pathetic, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
First off Linkin Park is not metal. They have absolulty nothing in common with bands like Black Sabbath, Guns n Roses, or Led Zeppelin. Even those three bands sound very different there are some areas of the music that can allow you to put them into the same category. Linkin Park is hard, and that is the only thing they have in common with those bands. They are the leaders of the "whine rock" movement, and about the only band from that movement that like.

The video was not impressive. They made my favorite song of the album almost suck because of the video. Fer Chrissakes what is there to be gushing over since the whole video is just a bunch of still frames placed on different areas on the screen at different times. They didn't even bother to get a large variety of frames made.

That being said I have never seen anything like that video.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7