• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Guilty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
JesuOtaku, as far as the truth goes, you don't have to worry about Yuuki. Zero, on the other hand... well, let's just says he's NOT going to be happy about it.

Hope I'm not spoiling too much but it looks like it will be revealed in the next episode.

Oh yeah, he's gonna be PISSED. Hey, at this point, it's not hard to believe that Yuuki won't end up with EITHER of them, and we'll end up with a tragic ending on our hands. The tone of the story certainly supports that...and the ED songs have given us a solitary foreboding, haven't they?
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
yeah, you're right. The ending does seem to indicate that she could end up alone. The way the manga's currently going though; it seems some of the characters will be leaving to go their seperate ways. But hopefully not permanently. So maybe no one will die, they'll just go off somewhere else for awhile.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, the blood finally hit the fan in this episode. Geez, with all the waffling through the first half of Guilty, it had to, but in one episode, all the mysteries that have just snuck through in hints from episode one were REVEALED in a big mass *squee*-a-thon.

Ho-ly shneikies.

spoiler[Shiki's daddy, Rido, is one bad mo-fo. Not only is he selfish, with an unrestrained libido and a smart mouth, he's also very evil and has high precedence within the Vampire Council. There's something wicked he wants to accomplish, but he can't do it just by possessing Shiki's weak pubescent body. He needs to revive himself, and he employs the vengeful Ichiru, who only cares about Shizuka, to help him. (Shizuka probably hated Rido, ironically, even if they were betrothed.) Ichijou, having strong family ties to the Vampire Council, sees value in leaving Rido be, or at least doesn't want Shiki's innocent body to get torn apart. Aidou is the opposite side of the fence, so finally I can tell them apart.]

spoiler[Kaname's "love" and yet coldness to Yuuki is explained in one fell swoop. He's her brother, not her lover, and he leaves her memory wiped in an effort to keep her vampire form (and blood) under wraps from the evil Rido, who will suck her dry (as perhaps his mate?) in order to revive himself. Certainly that was his intention with Shizuka, another pureblood! Kaname, knows, however, that after ten years of being repressed, the vampire inside Yuuki will tear itself out and drive her mad if he doesn't help her. So he coaxes it out of her, (with female fanservice!) no doubt happy that she knows the truth, but EXTREMELY concerned for her safety now that she's officially prey for Rido/Shiki, and hey, her happiness is probably smothered if, like Zero, she doesn't like being a vampire. I don't know if she will or not, actually, because she didn't seem averse to the idea, but she doesn't have a very vampire-friendly personality, since all they do is feed off of others, and she's a very kind and giving person. (Ooh...she did tell Zero she's just selfish at heart, though, didn't she?) Either way, can't wait for next week! Speakin' of Zero...]

spoiler[Zero is probably going to go crazy at this point, certainly trying to kill Kaname (futile) but maybe even trying to kill Yuuki! I hope he's not that nutso, but that would be a horrible shock considering Zero's just found out that his one goal he ever made for his miserable vampire life just got flushed down the toilet. To be strictly accurate, he never had a chance at protecting Yuuki. Now what is he? Well, he's still a Hunter, and proud of it, desperate to keep that reputation. If he snaps, it's going to be in that direction, and he will try to put Yuuki out of her misery, followed by killing himself, but I still have faith that he'll come around, even if it takes him the entire last six episodes run...oh yeah! He and his brother still have to fight and kill each other at some point, don't they? Hmmmm.]

The only remaining mystery at all is what the evil goal of Rido is exactly...and what Kaname's countergoal is to that. Other than that, all the mysteries introduced from episode one just a-sploded and the episode was DEFINITELY awesome enough to make up for the couple middling ones we've had from the top of season 2.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku, the last chapter of manga spoiler[had Zero contemplating killing Yuuki, and then thinking about all the nice things she'd done for him. It's been a little over a chapter now and he's still hesitating. So my guess is he won't kill her, though I could be wrong. But I hope not.]

As for what Kaname might do, I recently saw a pic from a Japanese magazine that seem to indicate that Kaname may have to defend Zero against his hunter master, Yagari. Course, is was magazine art for the anime, so it might not mean anything. I would like to see Kaname take more responsibility for Zero. That's one thing that always irked me about him. Of course, Zero didn't seem to want his help but he should have at least tried.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
That sounds intriguing. Shocked

Speaking of Kaname, as of the last episode's reveals, he's become about 10,000 times more likable. I still don't like him very much, but I don't despise his guts. I wasn't aware that spoiler[Rido, nasty of nasties, was after Yuuki's blood. That would be a very good reason to be so manipulative, if it really was (brotherly) love and not self-motivated. He's still overly deceptive, arrogant, and murderous though, and as you pointed out, he is not taking nearly as much responsibility for Zero's welfare as he should. If he were a real man/vamp he would give Zero the courtesy of being in the loop and NOT intentionally anger him, but his feelings for Yuuki make him kind of a douche around the guy, soooo...] yeah.

I understand and like Kaname better, but he's still not the hero Zero is. Zero does irk me with his whole overly independent/not honest with his feelings thing, but at worst those are socially destructive behaviors. Kaname's shortcomings lead to a slippery slope on moral grounds, while Zero's, well, a punk. A cute punk. Razz
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hey JesuOtaku, have you seen any of the recent VK Guilty eps? What are your thoughts? I just saw ep 9/22 raw on youtube. Wish I knew Japanese. Not much happened though, too little Zero. Even though I know what happens with him next, I'm still worried. Anyway I enjoy this thread. It's one of the few place I can intelligently discuss this anime without a bunch of obsessive fangirling.
Pinktiarapanda

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
eeeeek. i wish i knew japanese too :'(. fear not! the subs should be out on thurs.

but yes speaking of episode 8 and all that jazz....
spoiler[i really wasn't expecting yuuki's character to completely flopity change like that. now that she's "awakened" she's like this bad ass full blown vamp. it makes me nervous. i don't know if she'll remember zero since she has kaname. but i do agree with the fact that kaname is a lot more likable now. although i still think zero is for yuuki. i'm scared because i heard that zero is going to lose it and try and kill kaname and yuuki (because they are purebloods)...but i heard that he changes his mind about wanting to kill yuuki *swoon*. but it may be just a rumor.
weee shall seee!!!
]
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
The animation (and character designs) are not this show's selling point. But I like the story and the refreshing heroine.

I think the character designs are beautiful (though I'll agree that characters are a bit static sometimes). I managed to get a friend to watch the show just because she thought it was so beautifully drawn (though the first season did have a dip at the end when things weren't quite as well done, but that's not uncommon).

I like them as well (the series' art in general as well when it's not in super-deformed mode) but I also have a ton of trouble telling people apart, expecially the secondary characters. Confused

I really enjoyed episode 8, cool twist, it really turns things upside down. Although, spoiler[I was kind of expecting it given the ending theme for season 1 and the fact that Youki didn't start turning into a vampire after repeatedly giving Zero a ton of blood.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:

I really enjoyed episode 8, cool twist, it really turns things upside down. Although, spoiler[I was kind of expecting it given the ending theme for season 1 and the fact that Youki didn't start turning into a vampire after repeatedly giving Zero a ton of blood.]

Oh, that wouldn't happen. I mean, I was just surprised that she didn't become anemic, but not that she didn't become a vampire. Why would she? Only purebloods can inject the curse into their victims. Zero's not even CLOSE to pureblood level. He's really low on the totem pole.

I haven't seen the next episode as it hasn't been subbed, but it really BITES that Zero doesn't do much in it! I mean, at the end of this last one, there was this budding confrontation between him and Yuuki! I guess she saw what she saw through the door and left, huh? Darn. Sad They're probably saving all that junk for the finale.
dAngel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for fear of spoilers, lol. But I have a question. I haven't read the manga, but in episode 7, why does Kaname spoiler[say something about wishing he were Yuuki's "real" elder brother? Later in episode 8, it seems pretty clear that he is Yuuki's real brother. Were they raised together, but not actually related? Am I missing something? I really don't want to be spoiled if that's the case, but I just found that kind of confusing. Now that I think about it, they certainly look a lot alike.]

Yuuki being spoiler[a dormant pureblood makes sense with all the earlier hints about her blood being especially attractive to vampires. I wonder if Zero drinking her blood all this time has had any effect on him. It doesn't appear to seeing how he still needed to drink Kaname's blood to keep from degrading to level E so quickly. I'm anxious to find out what happens between them. That last scene with Zero pointing his gun at the door was intense.]

Also. I'm anxious to see some Chairman Cross badassery before the series is over. spoiler[Was that a weapon he was fondling at the end of episode 8? ]
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dAngel wrote:
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for fear of spoilers, lol. But I have a question. I haven't read the manga, but in episode 7, why does Kaname spoiler[say something about wishing he were Yuuki's "real" elder brother? Later in episode 8, it seems pretty clear that he is Yuuki's real brother. Were they raised together, but not actually related? Am I missing something? I really don't want to be spoiled if that's the case, but I just found that kind of confusing. Now that I think about it, they certainly look a lot alike.]

I believe what the explanation is that spoiler[Kaname is in the body of Yuki's biological brother but isn't her brother. I think he is an ancestor that was revived, like how Rido is being revived right now.]
dAngel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
I believe what the explanation is that spoiler[Kaname is in the body of Yuki's biological brother but isn't her brother. I think he is an ancestor that was revived, like how Rido is being revived right now.]

Oooooh I see. Hmm, that's interesting. That raises even more questions, but explains a lot about Kaname's feelings for Yuuki. Also smooths over the whole issue of spoiler[incest to seem a tad less creepy. Poor Kaname! He almost had me convinced with his whole "ahh shucks vampires do this sort of thing all the time" speech, lol. ]

I like the whole Rido/Shiki storyline, and the fact that Rima and Ichijo are trying to protect Shiki. I wonder if they will be able to save him.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
dAngel wrote:
wandering-dreamer wrote:

Oooooh I see. Hmm, that's interesting. That raises even more questions, but explains a lot about Kaname's feelings for Yuuki. Also smooths over the whole issue of spoiler[incest to seem a tad less creepy. Poor Kaname! He almost had me convinced with his whole "ahh shucks vampires do this sort of thing all the time" speech, lol. ]

I like the whole Rido/Shiki storyline, and the fact that Rima and Ichijo are trying to protect Shiki. I wonder if they will be able to save him.

Well, he may have the memories/life of some great ancestor, if that is the case, but he was still raised as her brother, so it makes little difference. Biologically speaking, it makes no difference at all so...ick. -.-'
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, ick is right! But brother or not, I still think Zero's the better choice. Poor Zero's had to put up with her constant fawning over Kaname but at least, Yuuki's always stuck up for Zero. I just hope she continues to do so but right now, Zero's so mad at her and Kaname, I'm afraid she might side with her brother. However, it's obvious that Zero still has feelings for her. I just hope she realizes it and tries to smooth things over instead of trying to kill him. spoiler[Even though, in the last chapter of the manga, Zero's threatened to kill all purebloods, but according to the blurb at the end of the chapter, the ball's now in Yuuki's court.]
dAngel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, he may have the memories/life of some great ancestor, if that is the case, but he was still raised as her brother, so it makes little difference. Biologically speaking, it makes no difference at all so...ick. -.-'

Ick indeed...lol. This anime has a lot of forbidden love themes to it, doesn't it. I've been a Yuuki/Zero fan since the beginning so it didn't phase me quite as much. I agree with your theory that Yuuki might very well end up alone, unfortunately. I get that vibe too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9