• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winter is Coming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What's sad is that Chihayafuru has bombed in Japan. The sales aren't just weak, they're practically non-existent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no justice in this world.

Won't lie, Chihayafuru is one of the more boring anime I've seen in recent years. Couldn't make it past the second episode. If I was going to watch a josei, I'd rather go back and rewatch Kuragehime personally. Not too surprised if it's not doing well.

As for stuff I did like. Persona 4 seems obvious enough, probably my favorite new series. Ben-to, Ika Musume 2, Phi Brain, Un Go, Guilty Crown... uh.. Future Diary, Fate/Stay... I think Chihayafuru was the only show I dropped this season actually.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:35 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
As for stuff I did like. Persona 4 seems obvious enough, probably my favorite new series. Ben-to, Ika Musume 2, Phi Brain, Un Go, Guilty Crown... uh.. Future Diary, Fate/Stay... I think Chihayafuru was the only show I dropped this season actually.

I'm not surprised you dropped Chihayafuru if those are the sorts of shows you like.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
I've only watched Fate/Zero but it seems I've missed the big one: Chihayafuru.

Didn't even notice the show was there this season, to be honest. But it seems like good stuff. Already on my "Plan To Watch" list.

As for Fate/Zero, the lenghty talks are boring (or maybe that's because NicoNico's spanish subs suck), but I love the characters, so I'm in for season 2.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
Didn't even notice the show was there this season, to be honest.

Um, that's pretty much what the purpose of this column was, to get you to notice.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm not surprised you dropped Chihayafuru if those are the sorts of shows you like.

I thought it was boring too. I generally don't like people like Chihaya (the enthusiastic/oblivious part of her) and the game wasn't exciting for me either. So there wasn't much to hold my interest. There was definitely nothing wrong with it, but just meh.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I found it really slow as well, but if it ever gets a R1 releases (highly unlikely though this would be perfect for NISA) I would purchase it so I can watch it at 1.5 speed since that is how I watch a majority of anime and non anime these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote
tojik wrote:
Any Megami Tensei fans care to chime in on Persona 4? I think they're using the game's elemental magic mechanics, but is that making the battles too hard to follow? Are the pyrotechnics and Shoji Meguro music not enough to sell them? There are also pacing issues, but my overall impression is that they have a plan and they're executing it well enough for this to end up really good.

I know I don't speak for all fans, nor probably even a decent amount of fans, but I feel that P4A's problem is that it's straddling the line too much. It's trying to cater to both game fans and new fans, and it's leaving both a bit disappointed (don't get me wrong, it's still a good series, just not what it could be). New fans are often left feeling that they're missing out on things, not knowing the game, and, at least for me, I feel that I'd enjoy things better not knowing the game *coughAikacough*.

It's decent enough, and I've really enjoyed a few episodes (9 in particular comes to mind), but between the crap that was episodes 7-8 (which actually made me avoid the series for 3 weeks) and the ridiculousness and scene-ruining Aika showing up all over the place, my pre-season/early-season "MUST BUY" has been drastically reduced to "might buy if it improves."
gingi789

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

......which means what, exactly? I liked all but 2 (Ika Musume 2 and Phi Brain) of the shows listed above and Chihayafuru. Or is someone who likes those shows incapable of liking something like Chihayafuru? (not to mention, two that he listed are two that the columnist liked as well and are going to continue with)

Please don't generalize.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It seems the links to Last Exile, Majikoi, and Kimi to Boku are all broken in this article. I noticed this when I wanted to check out Bamboo's reason for dropping Last Exile again and the link wouldn't take me anywhere.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
gingi789 wrote:
......which means what, exactly?

(not to mention, two that he listed are two that the columnist liked as well and are going to continue with)

It means whatever you want it to mean.

And Bamboo hated two of the listed shows. What's your point?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
And the fact that I can describe the plot entirely by simply explaining events in other series in no way indicates a lack of creativity and originality.

So? Can you name one show within the last 10 years that wasn't just a combination of reused ideas? Even the much lauded Madoka is just Kamen Rider Ryuki + Bokurano + Magic girls.

Just because the parts are the same doesn't mean the entire machine won't work. In fact using reliable designs ensure that it does work.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
It seems the links to Last Exile, Majikoi, and Kimi to Boku are all broken in this article. I noticed this when I wanted to check out Bamboo's reason for dropping Last Exile again and the link wouldn't take me anywhere.

Ah, crap, sorry; fixed.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
And the fact that I can describe the plot entirely by simply explaining events in other series in no way indicates a lack of creativity and originality.

So? Can you name one show within the last 10 years that wasn't just a combination of reused ideas? Even the much lauded Madoka is just Kamen Rider Ryuki + Bokurano + Magic girls.

Just because the parts are the same doesn't mean the entire machine won't work. In fact using reliable designs ensure that it does work.

Yeah, that's what Hollywood's been trying to do - shuffle the parts and hope what comes together works. Heck, look at Quentin Tarantino's films - he takes his different inspirations and puts them together. Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
Sometimes they wind up as total messes but at least they're entertaining messes.

I fail to see how Guilty Crown is any sort of mess though. The plot is always on track, with even seemingly irrelevant things actually building things up in one way or the other. Shu's gone through a lot of character development already and the show is only half over. It may not be original, but it's solid work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5