• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Zero (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
Now that they've earned a big name for themselves, I'm sure they'd be able to get away without them and still make a decent profit. Has anyone read their most recent title (Mahou)? If so, confirm/deny sex scenes?

No sex scenes, no story choices, looks fabulous, isn't very well received.
_Archer_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
isn't very well received.

Only when compared to other Type-Moon VN's is it not well received since Fate Stay Night is arguably the most successful VN ever, and I've heard that Tsukihime upon release was the best selling VN ever at the time, but I'm not sure about that. On the whole of VN's, it could be considered a success.

Speaking of which, I've heard that the original light novels of Fate/Zero were not well received either. Has anyone heard anything similar before? Does ANN translate sales for Light Novels like they do with manga/anime from, I would imagine, oricon?
jl07045

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
_Archer_ wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
isn't very well received.

Only when compared to other Type-Moon VN's is it not well received since Fate Stay Night is arguably the most successful VN ever, and I've heard that Tsukihime upon release was the best selling VN ever at the time, but I'm not sure about that. On the whole of VN's, it could be considered a success.

It's Typemoon, it's gonna sell well no matter what (it was the top seller of April according to Getchu). But apparently people on 2ch are complaining about the length vs the price, lack of ero and the story not having much of a point.

Speaking about Tsukihime, it's hard to find sales numbers for it. I've seen numbers like 70 000 somewhere, but I can't find those anymore. Still, Air sold over 100k that year and Kanon sold even more the year before. Japanese also seem to count the vns together with stuff like Tokimeki Memorial and Sakura Wars, so if you count those figures, even F/SN wouldn't be anywhere close to top ten.

Anyway, I won t go further off-topic so take it or leave it.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:13 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
lack of ero

Only in Japan....god lol
LunarMoon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:59 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

_Archer_ wrote:
The fact that it leaves a negative impression of Shirou on people so often is another fault of the adaptation despite the fact that I've seen many people argue he's one of the most well written protagonists in anime/manga/LN/VN fandom, a statement I fully agree with.

Fortunately I wasn't drinking anything when I read this sentence or I would have spit it out all over the computer. If F/SN ever makes its way to the States in any legal, affordable fashion then I'll have to check it out just to see how someone could possibly justify a statement like that.

It really doesn’t take that much to compose a relatively well realized anime character, as after viewing 160+ of them, I could pretty much place the majority of the characters that I’ve seen into any of the numerous “-dere” categories while coming up with a fairly accurate picture of their “personalities”. Any anime character with hobbies, personal aspirations, and believable flaws is already going to be in the upper echelon.

Characters such as Shirou Emiya and Okabe Rintarou are the exception to the rule in that they have all three of these qualities, so while claiming that he’s the most well realized character in the anime, light novel, and visual novel fandoms may be a bit extreme, I’d definitely posit that he’s one of the better ones.

In regard to the purpose of the visual novel medium, when novels and anime already exist, this is actually a pretty good example of a necessitating use. The branching paths of the visual novel medium allow the same character, Shirou Emiya, to be introduced to a collection of alternate situations so that the viewer can see how he reacts to each of them. He’s still the same character at the beginning of each route, but different stimuli foster different reactions that reveal separate facets of his personality, while, likewise, causing him to develop in entirely different ways depending upon the events that he’s exposed to.

jl07045 wrote:

It's Typemoon, it's gonna sell well no matter what (it was the top seller of April according to Getchu). But apparently people on 2ch are complaining about the length vs the price, lack of ero and the story not having much of a point.

Speaking about Tsukihime, it's hard to find sales numbers for it. I've seen numbers like 70 000 somewhere, but I can't find those anymore. Still, Air sold over 100k that year and Kanon sold even more the year before. Japanese also seem to count the vns together with stuff like Tokimeki Memorial and Sakura Wars, so if you count those figures, even F/SN wouldn't be anywhere close to top ten.

I'm going to go ahead and bring up the obvious visual novel to compare it to: Clannad. Type-Moon and Key are in a similar tier of popularity and financial success, and both companies, due to this success, could probably get away with making visual novels without erotic content.

Clannad has absolutely no erotic content and is one of the best selling and most critically acclaimed visual novels ever released. I'd assume that criticisms aimed at Witch on the Holy Night have more to do with the plot, characterization, and other factors, than with its absence of erotic content. Of course, before the success of Fate/Stay Night turned Type-Moon into the juggernaut that it is today, the situation was entirely different.
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Kirei's real wish was answered. spoiler[He obviously just wanted to see Archer naked.][/spoiler]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Dalvyn wrote:
Kirei's real wish was answered. spoiler[He obviously just wanted to see Archer naked.]

Again, glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. Best answer yet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hellfire104

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Can anybody explain what happened? spoiler[Kirei destroyed the grail and then it just blew up and destroyed a bunch of Tokyo? *so confused*] Can anybody explain what went down in that last episode?

[Mod Edit: Fixed your spoiler tags. - Keonyn]
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, first off, Kirei had nothing to do with what happened. You're thinking Kiritsugu.

spoiler[After Kiritsugu forced Saber to destroy the Grail, the release of energy caused a huge fire. Hundreds of people were killed, but Kiritsugu managed to rescue one small boy, who he adopted. Because of his Class Ability and because he was bathed in the taint that was within the Grail, Gilgamesh was able to remain in this world permanently. Kotomine was also revived by the taint in the grail.]

Five years after the end of the war, spoiler[Kiritsugu was telling his adopted son, Shiro, about his dream to be a hero of justice. Shiro took this to heart, but, unfortunately, Kiritsugu died in his sleep.]

However, five years after that, Fate/stay night happens.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Just finished the second season. Really awesome all around. Though as some others have said, I was disappointed that there was no spoiler[Saber vs. Gilgamesh] battle like FSN led us to believe.

I felt so bad for spoiler[Kariya] the entire show, I don't think I can ever forgive Sakura for that ending. I am now totally fine with w/e Zouken does to her now.

I was pretty surprised that the second half was able to make me like Kiritsugu when he was probably my least favorite character of the first season. I don't really know why but I just thought that was so badass when he spoiler[ordered Saber to destroy the grail twice.] Also, damn him for constantly being surrounded by incredibly hot women his whole life.... spoiler[guess the tragedies are his payment for it though...]
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
I don't think I can ever forgive Sakura for that ending. I am now totally fine with w/e Zouken does to her now.

(spoiler tag used to avoid triggers)

No. No no no no a million times no. Did you even understand what was going on there? Sakura was spoiler[being raped] for over a year, by those worms, and was not even fully aware of what was going on. Additionally, that "w/e Zouken does to her now"? That would be not only spoiler[raping] her for the next 10 years (physically, not just those worms), but having Shinji follow suit. Why? Because spoiler[the worms increase her carnal urges, and not raping her would lead to her losing control].

I don't care if you don't like what happened in the end, NO ONE deserves what happened/happens to Sakura, and to imply that she deserves it is victim blaming, and (IMO) one of the most offensive things you can ever say.
Beized

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
What did poor Sakura do? She's just been traumatized in inaction.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Beized wrote:

She spoiler[dumped Kariya in the worms]. Mr Sinister goes to far but it surprised me when I saw it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beized

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Beized wrote:

She spoiler[dumped Kariya in the worms]. Mr Sinister goes to far but it surprised me when I saw it.

Didn't he just spoiler[drop over dead and slide in while she watched?] Not really much she could do.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
She also spoiler[essentially just spat on the grave of the man who just gave his life trying to save her with that last comment she gave.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 50 of 52