• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Hiiro Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
While the pirates do things for show the majority of the time, and the majority of the story they are kind of like paper lions, I think people have forgotten what they did to the ship in the 'Practice Cruise' arc that was firing on the Odette II. They certainly didn't ask questions or try to take them into custody or something. They just blew them out of space, thank you very much! Of course, one of the two pirate ships involved was protecting its future captain, the other was protecting their future captain, and their current captain's daughter.

So, while the story does generally paint a rosie picture of the pirating world, they are capable of some cold hearted action as well...

As I recall, they were not pew-pewing them into space dust, they were blinding them using the reflective sail when they noticed the shots must have been aimed manually. That's not cruelty, that's a diversionary escape tactic. I don't think a single person has died in this anime. Harlock didn't do much true pirating either, but he sure as hell killed a ton of Mazone when he needed to. Emeraldas takes down entire fleets in a single barrage.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

One last thing, I did say that Nyaruko is dumb and forgettable to me, but some of you seem offended by this comment. I am not trying to offend any of you. I am just trying to offer my honest opinion about a series.

Disagreement != "Offended"

And again, you haven't addressed the point as to why "Dumb and forgettable" means a show shouldn't be watched.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
One last thing, I did say that Nyaruko is dumb and forgettable to me, but some of you seem offended by this comment. I am not trying to offend any of you. I am just trying to offer my honest opinion about a series.

I've noticed that I have to always put "IMO" in anything that has my opinion in it. It's kind of stupid to have to do this all the time, but it works.

angelmcazares wrote:
I want to keep believing that the members in the ANN forums are intelligent people willing to discuss about anime without getting personally offended. If anyone criticizes I series I like, I am not offended by it. But I get offended if someone questions my freedom to only watch what I like.

Most of the people here are pretty reasonable, but some get big persecution complexes if you disagree with them. This is kind of unavoidable everywhere, but it is much better here than other places on the subject of anime.

It really does happen everywhere. I once said that steamed broccoli had no place on the plates of high-end restaurants in a foodie forum and was trolled unmercifully as an elitist. I'm a vegetable elitist.... Confused

Back on Topic: I give kudos to Bamboo for watching all these shows! I have only been able to check out a few of them. I am still watching Hunter X Hunter. The kids are so cute and Hisoka is one of those characters that steals every scene that he is in. Scary dude, both creepy and oddly compelling.

Kids on the Slope: I've only watched the first two episodes, but I plan to marathon this on its conclusion. Same thing with Tsuritama Kids on the Slope is one of the few shows that interests my husband. He has tastes that I can never predict. He only seemed to like hard Sci-fi stuff like GitS, until the day I found him watching Hetalia, and now he's a big Hetalia fan. Shocked

I think I'm probably enjoying Kuroko's Basketball a bit more than Bamboo does. The episodes just fly by, and I really have fun watching it every week.

Only two other new shows I have been keeping up with weekly: Folktales From Japan and Polar Bear Cafe. They are easy shows to watch on a weekly basis. I'm enjoying Polar Bear a lot more for its absurd, surreal and dry humor. Folktales is very uneven to the point where I wonder why some of the stories are even worth (re)telling. I can understand why Bamboo dropped it. I might too.

I have a lot of shows in my queue that I just haven't had the time for recently. I feel like I should watch OZMA out of some sort of (perhaps misguided) loyalty to Matsumoto, but the reports I've been reading have not been good.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And again, you haven't addressed the point as to why "Dumb and forgettable" means a show shouldn't be watched.

He was originally referring to Stream and you see Bamboo already has busy schedule so why should she bother with something that is dumb and forgettable.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

He was originally referring to Stream and you see Bamboo already has busy schedule so why should she bother with something that is dumb and forgettable.

Except one or two or even three opinions shouldn't affect Bamboo's opinion on watching the show for the column.

The fact of the matter is that's an anime series that is legally streaming and it's been absent from this column. She did state in her post that she didn't get around to it the first time since she was watching 25+ shows and probably won't write about it, but might watch it. That's perfectly fine - I understand the daunting challenge of the column for this season.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Top ongoing:
Fate/Zero 2 -- story is a bit rushed as of late compared to the light novels, but still holding strong.
Aquarion EVOL -- No one seems to have mentioned this title at all. While not legally available, it's definitely a gem worth watching if you already aren't.
Sakamichi no Apollon -- Still holding strong. The story is starting to get a bit iffy for me on how it's approaching it, especially since it's only 11 episodes and that the number of conflicts continue to outpace the number of resolutions per episode. It's not a bad thing, but it may need to slow down a little.
Lupin III -- Lupin fun as usual
Accel World -- Having read the light novels, I'm fairly impressed with the way the staff is handling the title at he moment.

Shows that are improving:
Sankarea -- It started off a bit slow for me even having read the source material but it's certainly keeping my attention more now. Rea continues to be enjoyable to watch as she adapts to her new life.
Tsuritama -- As expected of Kenji Nakamura, the midpoint of the series begins to bring something interesting into play. While a bit far-fetched, it at least has some time to explain what in the name just happened.
Cardfight 2 -- Still going strong. Solid character development and for a shounen title, it's great to see that there is no one overpowered character. It's a development title and a shame that Crunchyroll did not pick up the second season.
Sket Dance -- Getting slightly better but if I have to tell someone to watch the first 30-50 episodes of a series before it gets good, it's not going to cut it that easily.
Ginga e Kickoff! -- This is what Area no Kishi wanted to be and potentially what Giant Killing may have wanted to be 2-3 years ago. Pacing is a tad slow, but the character development is strong and leaves a fair enough of suspense to keep interest.

Guilty Pleasure favorites:
Saki Achiga-hen -- it's no surprise that many people dropped this. I've personally threw all "potential story" aspects out the window thus far and I've seen the original Saki. Basically, you either are watching this show because you enjoyed the first season or you like the new cast. It's clear that this show is catering towards people who enjoyed the first series and that it's setting up for a potential sequel of the first series.
Acchi Kocchi -- if you don't like Tsumiki, there's really no point in watching this show. It's fun moe show that's more logical than K-ON! and light-heart/slower than Lucky Star or Azumanga Daioh.
Smile Precure! -- Obviously the Precure franchise never did so well overseas, but for those who enjoyed Heartcatch Precure! 2 years ago, this is something worth considering.
AKB0048 -- XENOGLOSSIA 2 if anyone hasn't realized it yet. Music is great and fans of AKB48 will notice a lot of not just character cameos but also various references scattered throughout the series (e.g. name of the ship is named after an AKB48 song, etc...). Nowhere near a solid show but an interesting watch.
Medaka Box -- If you've read the manga far enough, obviously you know what the show is going through. It's still in the SKET DANCE phase, and there's really not much it can do for a bit. If the show is really 12 episodes, well then that sucks. If not, then great. The show is well adapted from its source for the most part but not a good attention grabber and really no substance. Unlike Tasogare Otome x Amnesia (described below) the adaptation is at least interesting.

Stuff that are dropping off a cliff...and fast:
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia -- as I said earlier, show is decent as a manga, but not very interested when adapted. I enjoyed the first episode's approach as it felt very Shin Oonuma like but as the series progresses, it doesn't really get much better. Much better to read as a manga than say C3 from last fall.
Kore wa Zombie 2 -- show is 10 episodes long only. It hasn't really moved. It has comedy like the first season and the "plot" is a little bit more but not substantially different.
Area no Kishi -- This show just needs to drop dead. Go watch Ginga e Kickoff! instead.
Haiyoru! Nyaruko-san -- I hate to put this here but it's finally hit the point where the show is emphasizing more on the romance than the comedy. It's not a show that needs romance and the comedy clearly worked better, especially when the cast was still small earlier on in the series.

Stuff that are still iffy:
Hyouka -- It's going to take this show some time, but at least it has it. Still not quite sure about the approach for this show.
Uchuu Kyoudai -- good setup and character development but my real question is will the series simply end with Mutta getting the astronaut job? For a series that was "claimed" to be 48 episodes, I'm not sure what to make of the stuff that was "cut." I mean here we are 8 episodes in and spoiler[Mutta just passes the second exam.]
Jormungand -- It has a second season in the fall, Itou Shizuka as Koko continues to be as fun as ever, but I can't help but think that the show is going in circles.
Mouretsu Uchuu Kaizoku -- It really needs to pick up the pace sometimes. I really enjoyed the last arc with Jenny but that was really it. Marika is still growing as a character, which is great, but finding a good stopping point for this series is probably going to be difficult.
Natsuiro Kiseki -- Slice-of-life is getting slightly better but still far to even match Tamayura or Hanasaku Iroha, let alone ARIA.
Kuroko no Baske -- I agree with the review, the show lacks substance. The games are rushed and things happen.
Eureka Seven Ao -- Interesting yet not. Really not sure what to make of this show just yet. I'll probably wait a few more episodes before I can give a more definitive answer.
Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL -- show continues to lack what made 5D's awesome.
Toriko -- slowing down a lot. I don't keep up with the source so I can't really say much except that after a solid 39 episodes earlier on, the last 15-20 have been pretty poor.
Saint Seiya Omega -- things have gotten slightly more interesting but it's far from what made the older Saint Seiya titles good.
ZETMAN -- The fact that the show is still moving about 1 volume of manga per episode annoys me. Lack of explanation and there seems to be a lot of details glossed over. Definitely watchable if you haven't read the source, but if you think deeper about the show, some things don't always add up.
Upotte!! -- One episode good one episode pointless. The show continues to follow that trend. I think the show is only 10 episodes long, but regardless of length, it hasn't shown a clear cut stance of where it will place at the end of the season.

Dropped:
None since I don't drop any show Razz

Other titles not mentioned above:
Hunter x Hunter 2011 -- still Hunter x Hunter, nothing much to say.
Nazo no Kanojo X -- Haven't started watching this yet...
Ozuma -- seen half, and not impressed.
Phi Brain 2 -- just no. I like the OP but that's really about it. Puzzles are at least a little bit more reasonable now though unlike the first season.
Koi-ken -- Haven't started watching this yet...
Shirokuma Cafe -- Haven't started watching this yet...
Kimi to Boku 2 -- Haven't started watching this yet...
Gundam AGE -- Still bad overall.
Hiiro no Kakera -- Nothing struck me in this show.
Sengoku Collection -- Nothing struck me in this show.
Yurumates 3D -- not terrible but very very far from good.
Shiba Inuko-san -- eh....
Recorder to Randoseru Re -- eh....
Arashi no Yoru ni -- Okay as a movie, but as a 2+ cour show, it's not very interesting.
Queen's Blade Rebellion -- Much more tamed than I had expected surprisingly. Still typical Queen's Blade though.
Shining Hearts -- Shining series continue to suck.
Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki -- started off okay, but now just boring.
Folktales from Japan -- eh....
Gakkatsu! -- This can be amusing occasionally.
Naruto SD -- Not as funny as I was hoping it to be. I don't even like the original Naruto series but was hoping for this to at least entertain me.

probably forgot a couple to list here, but probably not worth mentioning anyways.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
A million shows.

Jesus Christ, how in the world do you find time to follow like, 50 shows?
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
A million shows.

Well, thats like what... 18-20 hours? If anime is your main hobby, and you don't have a full time job or anything, I could see that as doable.
joecoolhascome

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Ranking the shows I'm Watching:

1 Kids on the Slope
2 Space Brothers
3 Tsuritama
4 Polar Bear Cafe
5 Lupin III - A Woman Called Fujiko Mine
6 Sankarea
7 Jormungand
8 Mysterious Girlfriend X
9 Bodacious Space Pirates
10 Medaka Box
11 Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
12 Accel World
13 Upotte!!

I really should stop watching Upotte but the gun education keeps me coming back for more...
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
A million shows.

Well, thats like what... 18-20 hours? If anime is your main hobby, and you don't have a full time job or anything, I could see that as doable.

I'm always amazed when people can follow so many shows. I usually can only watch around 1-2 hours worth of anime in any day unless it's something amazing to watch more than that (I marathoned School Days a couple of years back...best decision ever).
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
A million shows.

I'm always amazed when people can follow so many shows. I usually can only watch around 1-2 hours worth of anime in any day unless it's something amazing to watch more than that (I marathoned School Days a couple of years back...best decision ever).

Well, I watch like 24 currently airing shows according to my MAL (it can reach 30 in better seasons), so I can understand that guy somewhat. I couldn't get up to 50 though just due to lack of shows that are interesting to me. If there were 50 shows that all interested me airing at the same time, I dunno if I'd be able to do it but I'd sure try.

In the past when I was getting more into anime, I used to marathon stuff all the time and it wasn't rare for me to do an entire 12 episode show in a day. I don't do that anymore though.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
A million shows.

I have a full-time job and a life. I just make time since yes it is my main hobby. It's not easy keeping up with them, especially when there are shows that I have lesser interest in. It helps to know a bit of Japanese at least (broken or not) to understand what they're saying as it allows for multi-tasking occasionally.

It's completely doable when weekends are less active and not to mention Tuesdays and Wednesdays when anime blocks are usually quiet. I should also note that a vast number of shows this season are 5 minute shorts rather than full length episodes and if you skip OP/ED themes for shows you dislike the themes of, it really speeds things up (20 min per ep roughly). This season is a little more tricky for me since there are a number of good OP/ED themes yet a lot of mediocre titles in my opinion. To be honest, only Fate/Zero and Aquarion EVOL really hold my interest.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
These are the series I am currently watching from most to least enjoyable.

1. Kids on the Slope - what's not to love about this great series

2. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - very intriguing and great animation quality

3. The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - Fujiko is very mysterious and love the old school feel.

4. Hyouka - at times slow but have great hopes that it can become amazing

5. Mysterious Girlfriend X - odd but I can enjoy it

6. Space Brothers - first 4 episodes were awesome, since, a bit boring

7. Natsuiro Kiseki - Sunrise animation but very slow most of the time

It is very impressive Kit-Tsukasa that you have a job, life and find time to follow that many series. I struggle at times to keep up with my current series. Smile
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Anyways, I saw Nyarko-san listed on Bamboo's streaming schedule that she posted on twitter, so I expect that it will probably show up in a future column, now that some of her other shows have been cut.

I don't know if I'll get around to Nyarko, honestly. I missed the boat on it back when I was still juggling 25-ish shows, and it's kind of past the statute of limitations now. I may end up catching up on it anyway, but it will likely not appear in the column this season.

Nothing of value was lost. And it is completely understandable, you are doing a yeoman's job, Bamboo! Thanks for your hard work. Smile
angelmcazares wrote:
First, I did not know I was agreeing with a troll. That being said, I started watching Nyaruko, but I did not keep on watching because the series was not to my liking. The great thing with so many series available to stream is that we can choose to watch the shows we like best.

I think we do agree, but I am called a troll because I call 'em like I see 'em. I also have strong opinions that people don't care to hear. They don't like that I have a very low opinion of the typical Japanese otaku and the hikikimori (shut-in looser) who are driving the current anime market. Hey, I understand, but haters gonna hate the hater...
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
I am called a troll because I call 'em like I see 'em. I also have strong opinions that people don't care to hear.

I think a lot of people are called trolls because they state opinion as fact e.g. "Nyarlko is stupid" vs "I think Nyarlko is stupid". I'm quite aware of this because I have a tendency that way myself, and had to train myself out of it (huge props to my ex-manager for the help there).

Personally, the only use I have for other people's opinions about anime (or any show) is when I haven't seen the show myself and I'm trying to get an idea if it's worthwhile checking out. Once I've seen it I'll make up my own mind.

In the case of Nyarlko, I've watched it and enjoyed it immensely due to the twisted Lovecraftian (twisted from the original I mean) and other geek references (yes, I have played Call of Cthulu along with plenty of other RPGs in my time). But if it didn't have those references I think it would be a very forgettable show and I can definitely understand why it wouldn't resonate with people who don't get a good belly-laugh out of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7