• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo Film's Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Arekusei wrote:
J-Head wrote:
Arekusei, I'm going to guess that you are a young teenager. Your grammar is bad, your arguments are bad, and your posts are all-around bad.

But it's ok. Many of us were like you when we were young. One day, you will enjoy anime, not care so much about subs or dubs (because the issue isn't important), and will look back on posts like these and cringe. "Ugh, why did I say crap like this?" However, it won't matter, because it was a dumb argument about a purely subjective and personal opinion on ways to watch anime. There is no right or wrong.

Even though you will grow up, you should make an effort to recognize the difference between opinion and fact as soon as you are able too. It makes conversation easier and your mind more open, in addition to making people hate you less.

EDIT: Also, the "blocked nose voice" you are talking about? That is simply that particular VA's natural voice. And yes, he is terrible.

Not a teenager, no, just not from English speaking country. And opinion on sub vs dub is important, as dub delays legal releases, in smaller countries even sometimes by years(because of cost and small number of dubbing studios). And change of characters because of voice is not subjective thing, it is very objective if the changes are drastic compared to original.

The American voice-over industry sucks. These guys are used to really bad quality and when the voice acting becomes just mediocre the Americans go all crazy about it. They don't understand Japanese or many other languages to make a good comparison. They think is good because they don't know better.

In the 90's Mexico was doing the best dubs in the world, and I mean really top notch stuff to a point that many series like Dragon Ball were as good if not better than the original. The real level of USA is way below average and that's a fact. The movie 13 assassins is the last victim and is quite sad really.

Having a good voice is not enough, you need to act the role as well. Cowboy bebop is not a good voice-over work BTW. You need to wake up Americans and maybe things will change for the better.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
I am not exactly sure what you mean by "phoned in his performance". O_o

It's a common entertainment industry term (acutally used very commonly in most industries that are distributed geographically). Basically it means that the person who "phoned it in" put in a lackluster effort (to whatever the task was) at best.

I don't agree with the original comment, but that should explain what they meant.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Anti_Nadalista wrote:
The American voice-over industry sucks. These guys are used to really bad quality and when the voice acting becomes just mediocre the Americans go all crazy about it. They don't understand Japanese or many other languages to make a good comparison. They think is good because they don't know better.

In the 90's Mexico was doing the best dubs in the world, and I mean really top notch stuff to a point that many series like Dragon Ball were as good if not better than the original. The real level of USA is way below average and that's a fact. The movie 13 assassins is the last victim and is quite sad really.

Having a good voice is not enough, you need to act the role as well. Cowboy bebop is not a good voice-over work BTW. You need to wake up Americans and maybe things will change for the better.

Posts like this REALLY need to be deleted. They serve no purpose other than to instigate arguments.
Buster D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the first three films' subtitles are the names for the three classical movements (Jo-Ha-Kyū or Introduction-Exposition-Climax)

I wish someone would've told the idiots at FUNi this before they translated Ha as "Break" in the preview at the end of the 1st movie. Did they get it right for the 2nd one? Haven't watched their subs for it yet.
Vracer111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
When 2.0 came out, there was an official Hong Kong DVD and Blu-ray release that had English subtitles. It was a legit release too, and actually came with some extra swag. It came out maybe 1-2 months after the Japanese release too, so if 3.0 is getting the same treatment, this might be your best bet.

That's what I did for 2.22, bought the Region 3 DVD (yes the HK 2.22 version) and then waited for Funi's Blu-Ray. DVD was of EXCELLENT picture/audio quality though the subtitles were a little wonky in some cases...overall okay subtitles though! Will be doing the same for 3 and 4 if the trend continues. If I remember correctly, home release of films 3 and 4 will be official fully completed versions from the start (no 2.0-2.22 like remastering/editing changes needed.) So no 3.0/4.0 release, just straight to 3.33 and 4.44, at least that is what i remember hearing/seeing somewhere...

I much prefer the english subtitles for the Evangelion Rebuild movies... which is why I'll get the region 3 DVD and Funimation's Blu-Ray release (for it's better English subtitles over the HK release.)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:01 am Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

As a Japanese, do you think that Japanese companies overprice their disc sets? The reason I'm asking is that there's quite a bit of discussion about reverse importation on this forum, and many people are saying that overseas distributors don't have licenses to certain things because Japanese companies are afraid of reverse importation.

The truth of the matter is that yes, Japanese fans have always struggled with the pricing. My buying habits for one, consisted of maybe 2 or 3 anime series total per year. Most fans treat purchase as an investment than a casual hobby. The price forces every fan to be a hardcore fan.

So there's no casual fans. The way it's going, North America could lead to that too. (Kinda reminds us of the comics industry in the 90's when it became a collector's market, an investment rather than a hobby. So the Japanese industry is the same way.)

Anti_Nadalista wrote:

The American voice-over industry sucks. These guys are used to really bad quality and when the voice acting becomes just mediocre the Americans go all crazy about it. They don't understand Japanese or many other languages to make a good comparison.

Shippoyasha wrote:
I am Japanese and yet I am confused when Westerners fight over dubbing. I watched Evangelion movie English dubs and they were quite excellent.

There goes that excuse. Wonder if Anti_Nadalista understands Japanese too.............
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:29 am Reply with quote
You know this is just going to end like all the others did? With Anno laughing his arse off whilst pissing in our faces. Rolling Eyes
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:00 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You know this is just going to end like all the others did? With Anno laughing his arse off whilst pissing in our faces. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps that's how you reacted to EOE. If so, I actually enjoyed the golden shower.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Perhaps that's how you reacted to EOE. If so, I actually enjoyed the golden shower.
Aye, some mother's do have 'em.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 am Reply with quote
DTJB wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

If that's Anno's form of trolling, I haven't been trolled. EoE is great and I hope Rebuild goes full Cronenberg.
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DTJB wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

If that's Anno's form of trolling, I haven't been trolled. EoE is great and I hope Rebuild goes full Cronenberg.

That would be absolutely amazing. Technically speaking, you could consider EoE body horror as well.
Oh, and count me in as not considering EoE as being a troll. It gave the series an absolutely insane, violent, disturbing, beautiful, and satisfying conclusion. Any movie that is soul-crushingly depressing but carrying a sense of hope and redemption at the same time is okay with me. It's one of my favourite movies, and one that I can watch repeatedly.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
DTJB wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That would be absolutely amazing. Technically speaking, you could consider EoE body horror as well.
Oh, and count me in as not considering EoE as being a troll. It gave the series an absolutely insane, violent, disturbing, beautiful, and satisfying conclusion. Any movie that is soul-crushingly depressing but carrying a sense of hope and redemption at the same time is okay with me. It's one of my favourite movies, and one that I can watch repeatedly.
....And they lives.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting pretty sick of this "Anno is a troll" bullshit. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Just checking in to say that I'M STILL EXCITED!

And I also wish that we could stop calling artists "trolls" for surprising people, creating things outside the norm or interacting with audience expectations in any way. It really trivializes their creativity!
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
EoE is great and I hope Rebuild goes full Cronenberg.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea, considering his version of The Fly still scares the crap out of me, and all I've ever seen are stills of the transformation and the ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7