• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:
The script is stripped down of the sort of filler and padding that dogs most anime shows and arguably fits 2-4 different series into 27 episodes.

There was a lot of unnecessary material in the program. Most of episode 4, for instance. Wasting time with the different generals when they could have trimmed it down and maintained the same plot progression and even increased the emotional impact. Most of the beginning of the timeskip arc was too padded. The drama with Rossui really could have been trimmed and still had the same relevance. The entire space portion could and should have been a couple of episodes at the most, instead of trying to pull the most out of the deaths of redshirts. And at a certain point it becomes a giant, cartoonish pissing contest.

Fun to watch, no doubt. Just not really anything special.

Episode 4 was supposed to serve as the entire journey summarized in a single adventure. It perfectly illustrated the dynamics among the main characters and had a sense of cotidianity that added the necessary backdrop for the events in episode 8. It was the same about the progression in the conflicts with the different generals after Nia's introduction.

The beginning of the time-skip arc was, if anything, too rushed. They tried to build-up an entire conceptually thought-out society in a few scenes. They packed too much content in too little time. Rossiu's struggle was the right length, too. They had to build-up the thematic idea in the conflict between Simon's reliance in methods of the past to build-up a new future and Rossiu's complete disregard for his origins that will ultimately only lead him back to the origins he was trying to forget.

I do agree that episode 24 was awkwardly executed; but 25-27 were perfectly structured in a way so that no scene would lack meaning. I would argue that they're the best organized episodes in the show.

Greed1914 wrote:
It had themes that have shown up before...

But obviously! No fiction is able to showcase or develop themes that haven't shown up before! Fiction is essentially only quotation of experiences.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I might apply a slight tweak to Eureka seveN's ending, just to allow us to see spoiler[Talho and Holland's child].

I can't resist rolling out my irritation with having bought all of Eureka 7 at near suggested retail. Change the ending? How about we start with episode 36 or 37, whenever it is the story turns into a spoiler[Survivor season, and goes emo-angst-emo-emo-soap-emo-emo-angst-stupid most powerful mecha in existence can't mount a sand dune and then suddenly without explanation is carrying everyone through the woods. No explanation for why they couldn't see the Big Tree before--it just finally appears because otherwise, we would have missed all the pointless episodes previous. Then Renton stands immobile in a library while his sister, whom we never met, explains in detail to us the entire story, not avoiding the opportunity to cover every single theme, just so Renton can regurgitate it to Holland so the audience really, really gets it. That show nose-dived so fast and so far I wanted to throw the whole thing in the trash. There were a few redeeming episodes and scenes toward the end, but overall they should have fired the writers and hired new ones at episode 36. ] There.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I might apply a slight tweak to Eureka seveN's ending, just to allow us to see spoiler[Talho and Holland's child].

I can't resist rolling out my irritation with having bought all of Eureka 7 at near suggested retail. Change the ending? How about we start with episode 36 or 37, whenever it is the story turns into a spoiler[Survivor season, and goes emo-angst-emo-emo-soap-emo-emo-angst-stupid most powerful mecha in existence can't mount a sand dune and then suddenly without explanation is carrying everyone through the woods. No explanation for why they couldn't see the Big Tree before--it just finally appears because otherwise, we would have missed all the pointless episodes previous. Then Renton stands immobile in a library while his sister, whom we never met, explains in detail to us the entire story, not avoiding the opportunity to cover every single theme, just so Renton can regurgitate it to Holland so the audience really, really gets it. That show nose-dived so fast and so far I wanted to throw the whole thing in the trash. There were a few redeeming episodes and scenes toward the end, but overall they should have fired the writers and hired new ones at episode 36. ] There.

I know I've rebutted all of these points once before, so I'm not about to do so again now. Razz But there is one egregious mistake in there. spoiler[The "tree" didn't exist until after the end of episode 49. It was the result of the program in Eureka's collar being executed upon Dewey's death, which attempted to force her to become a new Coralian control cluster to replace that which had been destroyed at the end of episode 48. I thought that was made reasonably clear.] In any case, I still count the show as a complete masterpiece, especially the final few episodes. Best-executed fictional romance I've ever come across in any medium.

Also, try learning what "emo" actually means before stringing it next to itself ten times over. Razz

Greed1914 wrote:
I'm not going to bother quoting since it would take too much space, but I have to side with penguintruth about Gurren Lagann. It had the cool factor, without a doubt, but I don't think that it had any sort of amazing themes in it. It had themes that have shown up before, and I definitely don't think it somehow managed to "fit 2-4 shows" into it, and certainly not those of the shows listed. To me, this was a successful attempt by Gainax to make something that was fun to watch, and that's about all there is to it.

Did anyone ever accuse the show of covering themes that had never been done before? Jeez, I feel like a broken record here. The themes used in the show are as old as storytelling itself, which anyone who's ever watched it should be able to acknowledge. It's the specific style and flair by which they're executed, the utter disdain for any sense of self-restraint in its pacing, and the overwhelming sense of GAR that pervades the whole production that make it as special as it is. I mean, seriously, that ending...spoiler[throwing galaxies around like ****ing shuriken]. Nothing will ever be able to top that scene in my mind for raw coolness.

And once again, penguintruth, if you can honestly sit there with a straight face and call the show "stretched out," than that label can just as easily be applied to every single anime series ever existed. Allow me once again to point to your avatar in an accusatory fashion. Razz
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I suppose my big issue here is that the massive coolness factor almost overshadows the points that the show wants to make.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
7ThIsGod wrote:
It perfectly illustrated the dynamics among the main characters and had a sense of cotidianity that added the necessary backdrop for the events in episode 8.

What does this word mean?
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
7ThIsGod wrote:
It perfectly illustrated the dynamics among the main characters and had a sense of cotidianity that added the necessary backdrop for the events in episode 8.

What does this word mean?

Ineventual, everyday events. What happens but has no special relevance. Episode 4 was like a perfect example and summary of what their journey was like during the first few episodes; that's why it was necessary for further episodes to actually work.

Greed1914 wrote:
I don't know, I suppose my big issue here is that the massive coolness factor almost overshadows the points that the show wants to make.

The coolness factor is part of the points the show was trying to make, I think. It is also Imaishi's idyosincratic voice and one of his signatures as a director.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
pparker wrote:

I can't resist rolling out my irritation with having bought all of Eureka 7 at near suggested retail. Change the ending? How about we start with episode 36 or 37 ... There.

I know I've rebutted all of these points once before, so I'm not about to do so again now. Razz But there is one egregious mistake in there. spoiler[The "tree" didn't exist until after the end of episode 49. It was the result of the program in Eureka's collar being executed upon Dewey's death, which attempted to force her to become a new Coralian control cluster to replace that which had been destroyed at the end of episode 48. I thought that was made reasonably clear.] In any case, I still count the show as a complete masterpiece, especially the final few episodes. Best-executed fictional romance I've ever come across in any medium.

Also, try learning what "emo" actually means before stringing it next to itself ten times over. Razz

Sorry, I had forgotten the plot device to spoiler[reveal the tree specifically. Yeah, I'll give you that, as it was organic to the story (though the reveal was a bit late to not be convenient). It took a long time for them to see anything off the coast, though. My memory of it is clouded by frustration and anger, and you'll excuse me if I don't pop in the disc to look for a good reason why, but I suspect it's because of the overpowering sand dunes. Wink

Wait, now that I recall you mentioned episode 49, that was after the exciting library sequence, right? So what I meant was them discovering the library--that's what was hidden from them as a plot device to allow the "emo" series of episodes to occur. God, I can't believe now that it lasted 13 episodes not counting interwoven scenes back on the surface. I was really being lenient in my criticism.]

Yes, I do know that emo is a musical genre. However, you might want to listen to the crowd responses when asked to define emo in this video and see if they differ significantly from the moods displayed by the characters--every last one of them, without respite--in those episodes. I suppose technically better terms would have been spoiler[soap opera, angst-ridden, or melodramatic pseudo-pathos which goes from at least an hour past the point of, um, making the point, into what would have been high comedic parody if they weren't actually being serious and if it hadn't cost me over $300 to watch it. They are disappointed at not having arrived in a startling nirvana, or at least something that resembled some effort being put into art production and plot--which the audience is led to believe they will as a major plot point (actually, expectations pumped up to stratospherically high levels). I.e., the single most important goal of the story, around which all action in the 3rd quarter of the story is focused (if not more. You might want to compare Gurren Lagann in that wise). So, they are sad, and Eureka changes. Um, 10 minutes, maybe? Give it at most 20 minutes with some action in an interesting setting that showed some effort, without the emotional duotone (sad/angry) round-robin ("Okay, Bob, who's turn is it to cry now? I forgot.")] Yes, that would be more correct. I won't even start on its spiritual twin Planetes... Smile
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
...I don't even want to respond to that, because I honestly can't tell what the hell you're even specifically referring to in there. Very Happy But if you're throwing Planetes in the same boat with E7, then I'm just about assured as loving its ending every bit as much as I've loved its first 14 episodes, so that's a big relief. Razz
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
...I don't even want to respond to that, because I honestly can't tell what the hell you're even specifically referring to in there. Very Happy But if you're throwing Planetes in the same boat with E7, then I'm just about assured as loving its ending every bit as much as I've loved its first 14 episodes, so that's a big relief. Razz

Ah, I know I'm too critical, and in a small minority on this one. I expected a different story, and what I got p*ssed me off. That's all. And, yes I expect you'll enjoy Planetes--no Eureka 7 fan I've heard of hasn't. Wink
BrianaTheBard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
As for the previous week's question, I don't know that I have any series I think of specifically as "comfort food," because it's been quite some time since I've actually sat down and rewatched anything. I suppose that any of the shows I viewed multiple times back in the day on [adult swim] would definitely qualify. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, FLCL, FMA, Big O, Samurai Champloo...they all feel like old friends, and I'd gladly pop in a disk of any of them at the drop of a hat.

I'm glad you agree with me. I'm getting kind of tired of these holier-than-thou people who name off a bunch of different anime that you've never heard of as "comfort food." I didn't have much access to different types of anime, and they turn up their noses when I say that I've only watched the dubs.

*sigh* I could rant more, but I would just be going in circles.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Ah, I know I'm too critical, and in a small minority on this one. I expected a different story, and what I got p*ssed me off. That's all. And, yes I expect you'll enjoy Planetes--no Eureka 7 fan I've heard of hasn't. Wink

I'd actually love to go point-to-point with you, since little brings me more enjoyment than a heated (and most likely pointless Razz) debate, but I'd find it nearly impossible unless you were able to break down your opinions into more specific details, and since I know you probably don't recall many of them and definitely have no desire whatsoever to re-watch the episodes, I'm certainly not expecting you to. As the tired old line goes, to each their own opinions. Smile I suppose what I find most interesting is that I can be in such utter agreement with your points in the Evangelion discussion thread, yet completely diametrically opposed over this other show that treats its main character in at least a vaguely similar way at certain points yet winds up leading him to a completely different outcome. Fandom can be a very strange thing to pin down, I guess.

And Briana, I've probably watched and enjoyed quite a few of those shows that those sorts of fans like to promote, but what made me an anime fan in the first place was watching all of the fantastic shows that [adult swim] used to air back in '05 or so. You never do forget your first love in any sense of the word, and I owe my entire fandom to that collection of series. And yes, I'm also of the opinion that they all have excellent dubs. Smile
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
pparker wrote:
... And, yes I expect you'll enjoy Planetes--no Eureka 7 fan I've heard of hasn't. Wink

I'd actually love to go point-to-point with you, since little brings me more enjoyment than a heated (and most likely pointless Razz) debate, but I'd find it nearly impossible unless you were able to break down your opinions into more specific details, and since I know you probably don't recall many of them and definitely have no desire whatsoever to re-watch the episodes, I'm certainly not expecting you to.

Oh, I would love to debate E7, because I have pretty strong negative opinions on the last part. If I get a chance, I'll re-watch the offending section, and I assume there's a E7 thread here where we can debate on topic. Hey, it might even reduce the trauma to replay it. Smile

Oh, and thanks for the agreement on Evangelion. I feel like a lone soldier in that one.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:57 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:

Oh, and thanks for the agreement on Evangelion. I feel like a lone soldier in that one.

There is no lone soldier in Evangelion debates. I had to wade thru thousands of thesis-long discussions while that was first coming out. No, no, definitely much much more than one in any side, oh my poor poor tired eyes remember quite well. Anime cry
pparker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
pparker wrote:

There is no lone soldier in Evangelion debates. I had to wade thru thousands of thesis-long discussions while that was first coming out. No, no, definitely much much more than one in any side, oh my poor poor tired eyes remember quite well. Anime cry

Ha, I can't imagine the pain for someone who's been around a long time. I shouldn't complain. Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:

I wouldn't normally do this (respond to an Answerfans column a week late in the forums), but I just want to say that Azumanga Daioh is my comfort food animation, it's happy, with well animated, fluffy visuals, the characters are all well realized and likeable, with good development, the music is cheerful, there are just enough indications of the girls' and womens' sexual desire, interest and curiosity to stop them from coming off as innocently moe in that way that makes me want to throw things at the television, and it condoningly portrays a lesbian crush. Finally, there are lots of cats.

For what it is worth, ( Rolling Eyes ) I use the term brain candy to describe a show like Mahou Sensei Negima! I would only admit to liking the show if I was being tortured at Guantanamo Bay (well, OK, I will freely admit to liking parts of the original soundtrack).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7