• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koji98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
You know, I just liked Clannad the least ... it felt too much like an obvious harem with the "fighting over whose food Tomoya is going to eat" thing, especially. I also felt that the "drama" for Nagisa was nothing - compared to other Key dramas. I've gotten into this before in other threads, though Razz

The second half of After Story is the part I like best ... until the cop-out ending Wink

I have to disagree. Clannad is my favorite because, other than the bit of a harem thing going on for about two episodes prior to Nagisa's arc starting up, it didn't do much of it at all. I loved Air and Kanon, but Clannad is my favorite because it's more realistic to a sense.

Kanon and Air had a lot of mystical stuff going on, like Kanon with spoiler[Makoto being a fox, Mai having an ability to cure illnesses/fighting that power in the form of invisible beasts, and the entire story being in Ayu's dream or w/e,] and Air with spoiler[Misuzu being the reincarnation of the girl in the sky, Yukito starting over as a bird, Kano being cursed, and Minagi's dead sister appearing and playing with her.] Just about everything in those two stories are connected tightly to a mystical aspect. The only one arc in Kanon I can think on the top of my head that doesn't have (much) a mystical aspect is Nayuki's arc, but her story is a bit shafted in the anime compared to the visual novel.

Clannad has mystical aspects of course, like spoiler[Yuko's ghost getting people to go to her sister's wedding, Misae and her cat, and of course Ushio being the girl in the end of the world and Tomoya being the robot,] the majority of the story is realistic. Kotomi's arc is very realistic with spoiler[overcoming the death of her parents, with the last thing she told them was she hated them,] Kyou and Tomoyo's arcs are realistic romance stories with a bit of drama in them, Sunohara and Mei's arc was a realistic story of sibling love, Yukine's arc was a realistic story about spoiler[her wanting to get to know more about her dead brother through the people who were associated with his life,] Yoshino's was a realistic story of spoiler[a rocker who had fallen from why he did music and ended up doing drugs then finally found happiness with the woman who encouraged him to pursue music,] and you finally have the realistic romance of Nagisa and Tomoya.

Yes, they are drama, and may go over the top, but what makes Clannad stand out from Air and Kanon is the fact that Maeda made the majority of the story not be bound by the concepts of magic and what not, but instead made stories that could happen in real life. Sure, Tomoya and Nagisa's drama may not have been as "dramatic" as the other series, and in the anime ended on a bit of a Dues Ex, but I felt more from their struggle than I did with Misuzu and Ayu. They didn't have to struggle with mystical beings from years ago or being in some girls dream. Their struggles were as real as you could get in anime, and the two of them worked hard for their relationship which wasn't just placed on their laps through a stereotypical trope. Some complain they didn't see any "action" between the two of them, but I'm glad they didn't, because their relationship was personal, regardless of them being fictitious characters.

That's where I view Clannad on the Key Trilogy™ when compared to Air and Kanon. Clannad was more "real" than the other two, and I enjoyed it more because of that fact.

/end rant
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
And yet if you don't focus on the "magical" parts of Air, you'll also see that it had a lot of "real" drama.

Most of it dealing with spoiler[mothers losing their daughters. Such as in Kano's arc where we see the flashback of the mother who was forced to see her daughter sacrficed because the village viewed her a bad omen. Or how about a baby being born stillborn? Do you know how real that is? I have friends who have borne stillborn children. It's a huge loss, and we see just how much it affected Minagi's mother by her treating Minagi as if she was the baby sister. There's also Kanna's mother who is imprisoned and cannot see her daughter as well. I can only imagine the anguish she must have felt, and then to end up dying when she finally met Kanna, very powerful. Lastly you have the very real scenario of an aunt slowly growing closer to her niece and learning to be her surrogate mother, and eventually love and care for her. ]

I do love the second half of After Story (other than the ending), but as a whole, Air is the best of the Key trio in my humble opinion.
Koji98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
And yet if you don't focus on the "magical" parts of Air, you'll also see that it had a lot of "real" drama.

Most of it dealing with spoiler[mothers losing their daughters. Such as in Kano's arc where we see the flashback of the mother who was forced to see her daughter sacrficed because the village viewed her a bad omen. Or how about a baby being born stillborn? Do you know how real that is? I have friends who have borne stillborn children. It's a huge loss, and we see just how much it affected Minagi's mother by her treating Minagi as if she was the baby sister. There's also Kanna's mother who is imprisoned and cannot see her daughter as well. I can only imagine the anguish she must have felt, and then to end up dying when she finally met Kanna, very powerful. Lastly you have the very real scenario of an aunt slowly growing closer to her niece and learning to be her surrogate mother, and eventually love and care for her. ]

I do love the second half of After Story (other than the ending), but as a whole, Air is the best of the Key trio in my humble opinion.

Of course there is "real" drama in Air, but I'm pointing out the fact that Clannad has stories that have no "magical" part to it, at all. If you were to remove the girl with wings from Air, they still include a mystical feel to it, the same being said from with the spoiler[orbs] in Clannad, except in Clannad's case there are plenty of stories that don't use any for of magic (Minagi's and Fuko's stories would be considered mystical for spoiler[the usage of ghosts in some form], however Tomoyo's story has no mystical aspect at all).

I think we can both agree on how much we enjoy each story is how much do we like that aspect of Maeda's story telling. This also comes into play when showing someone any of these shows. Do they enjoy a heavier dose of magic in their story or don't want as much.[/spoiler]

Last edited by Koji98 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
I think we can agree on that, although Key also did Planetarian which is a wonderful story without the involvement of Maeda.
Koji98

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think we can agree on that, although Key also did Planetarian which is a wonderful story without the involvement of Maeda.

Planetarium is a great story, especially loving the lack of additional characters in the story. What I'm interested right now is Rewrite and what Ryukishi07 is bringing to the table. Imagine, a romance like Clannad with the mentality of Umineko.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:55 am Reply with quote
Oh man, so nice to hear there are other, er, "age advanced" anime buffs out there. I was particularly encourage by the poster who was able to convert his mom! That's quite a coup. Maybe I'll try out Emma on my own mother...
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
Zac, if you ever need someone to lie for you after you kill a hallway full of those retards screaming various memes, look me up. I'll do my best to convince the jury it was self defense. Hey annoying kids, you know what would really make you stand out? If you could go an entire convention without doing that goddamn Marco Polo thing. Yeah, that would be swell.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Could I say just how much I relate to bemused Bohemian and jgreen's grandmother.

Mother, not grandmother! I'm already 30 myself. That's part of the point I was trying to make...even living under roof as an anime fan from the ages of 15 to 25 (minus a couple years at college), I couldn't turn her into an anime fan until she discovered it on her own.

tuxedocat wrote:
Will she watch streaming video?

Nah, she's still rockin' a 28k modem, if you can believe that. Shocked

Basroil wrote:

I've been a fan for about eight years now. Got hooked when my son asked me if I could record these "cool looking cartoons" he was seeing commercials for that were on Cartoon Network's late night Adult Swim. Well by trying to be the responsible parent and prescreen the shows I got hooked by Cowboy Bebop and Tenchi Universe.

Ha! Nice. Your story kind of reminds of this. Very Happy

The King of Harts wrote:
Steph brings up all the reasons why I'll probably never go to con. All the stories people bring up just tell me, "Dude, stay away because you'd want to punch everyone." I can't stand being around people who act like fools just to impress people or gain attention (positive or negative), that's why I never went to parties in high school. I'd also have no one to go with so nobody would be there for me to vent on and there's nothing pretty about pent up rage.

Eh, I still find plenty of fun ways to spend time at ACEN every year, even though there are plenty of people there who get on my nerves. You definitely have to have your own group of friends with you, though...that buffers you from the obnoxiousness quite nicely.

Blood - wrote:
I was particularly encourage by the poster who was able to convert his mom! That's quite a coup.

Heh...thanks, man! It was pretty surreal watching her try to explain Aria to my brother, who introduced me to anime through Akira way back in the day, let me tell ya...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Justp94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually love that 4Kids Opening! Its Hip! LOL.. u guys just old.. no taste.. lol.. So funimation re-dubbed... hmm i might gotta check out those new voices..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was a fun show! Nice to put users to pipes...the last two guests were my faves, Blood- and then Scott.

Still waiting for the Theron/Carl/Hope show.

Yes, gas money is a killer for us teenagers.

Finally...where were the ladies? I might volunteer. Gotta represent.
Justp94

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
This is my Opinion. Feel free to comment on these.

Anime to Suggest to Friends if you are introducing it to them by Genre. Note: All are in English. Never show an American Japanese or Foreign Anime that isn't in English. They don't like it and Probably won't unless they actually start getting into Anime.

Comedy
Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple, Ouran High School Host Club, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu, Love Hina, School Rumble, Ninja Nonsense, Desert Punk, Air Gear

Romance - Don't do Kanon or Air Because of alot of americans like normal sized eyes and stuff that realistic.. until they become a constant anime viewer.

Main Options: Suzuka, His and her Circumstances, Peach Girl, Rumbling Hearts, Fushigi Yuugi (Fantasy and Adventure also), Ayashi no Ceres (Fantasy & Adventure Also), Marmalade Boy (Old animation, but is good).

Action
Afro Samurai, Black Lagoon, Devil May Cry, D.Gray-man, Murder Princess, FLCL (Some mecha and Comedy involved).

Adventure
Twelve Kingdoms, Black Cat, Fushigi Yuugi, Saiyuki

Mecha
Full Metal Panic!, Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Code Geass

Magic
Ultra Maniac, Shuffle!, Maburaho, My-Hime, Negima

Based off of Novels:
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Romeo X Juliet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
About your Florida and college answer. Florida is probably around the 3rd highest film industry state (I'm prolly wrong since I'm just judging by the number of film schools http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_schools). But it would probably be REALLY hard to get into USC because it's pretty selective and since he is coming from Florida, especially expensive...
firecrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I feel that if "One Piece" were on T.V. with the FUNimation dub it would come into a close second-place to "Naruto".
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
albanian wrote:
Could I say just how much I relate to bemused Bohemian and jgreen's grandmother.

Mother, not grandmother! I'm already 30 myself.

Sorry. My bad! If your username is anything to go by it looks like we miight share a surname in real life - but you obviously came up with clearer-sighted brain than I did!
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
You know, I just liked Clannad the least ... it felt too much like an obvious harem with the "fighting over whose food Tomoya is going to eat" thing, especially. I also felt that the "drama" for Nagisa was nothing - compared to other Key dramas. I've gotten into this before in other threads, though Razz

The second half of After Story is the part I like best ... until the cop-out ending Wink

Perhaps the anime played out like that because of the mass stories. But they were all linked together this time which obviously will effect each person's stories more so, because of how they are linked. I agree with part of Nagisa's story compared to the others.

Obviously the meat is in the After Story. Ending is not a cop out....>.> But we have already argued about that Anime hyper Game players just see it differently. I like them all very much. I find Clannad has the best writing since it takes aspects from ONE, Kanon and AIR and creates an amazing story. By far one of the most advanced of the KEY titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7