• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Chobits, Eden of the East Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
Yay! Spice and Wolf!

With Eden's movies being announced for 2011... I hope we wont have to wait that long for more S&W Sad
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
I'm not the biggest fan of Funi, but I'm stoked to get Chobits on Blu-Ray and I'm really looking forward to seeing/getting Spice and Wolf II. Spice and Wolf was my favorite release from 2009.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Funi announced Eden of the East last year, and I haven't heard anything about a release so far, so I'd be more excited about the films if I had the series.

According to their twitter, the TV run of EotE is aimed for a late summer release.

Link please? What Channel would air EotE anyways?

I think he meant they plan to release the TV series on DVD in late summer.

I always liked Chobits, and it's nice to see it rescued. I won't be picking it up, as I grabbed the two bailey boxes a few months back out of the bargain bin. It's still good see an enjoyable show staying in print.

The rest I don't have much interest in, and the prospect of a Funi dub makes me even less interested.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ah great. Only makes sense to add 'Spice and Wolf II'. So good to hear the news. Wink
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:58 am Reply with quote
Yay Awesome! I hope FUNimation will also save...

Card Captor Sakura
Disgaea
The rest of the Tenchi Muyo series
Koi Kaze
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Need the first season of Spice and Wolf on BD first...
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Chobits...wait, isn't that already dubbed by Geneon? Why on earth Funimation would pick the series up?

By the way, if Funimation manages to pick up Cardcaptors Sakura, then I would recommend using the dub cast from the second movie (if they could get an agreement with the unions in California).

I'm just waiting for either Funimation or Bandai to pick up To Aru Majutsu no Index (Bandai got my hopes back by bringing back the same dub cast from the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya).
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like the Bang Zoom! Dub of the second CCS movie. The only voice I felt were dead matches were Michell Ruff as Tomoyo and Wendee Lee as Kero and I don't recall much about the other characters but Sakura sounded just as annoying and Mona Marshall...I love her to death but she wasn't who I would have picked as Shaoran. Personally I think Jessica Boone or Maxey Whitehead would be matches for Sakura. Boone already played Misaki in Angelic Layer though but Whitehead I think could pull Sakura off with out her being obnoxious sounding.

That being said I didn't think the Japanese dubbing wasn't all that better than it's American/Canadian counterpart of the series. Above it yes, but I've still heard far better.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Booyah, I am so stoked about Spice & Wolf II! Very Happy
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
FaytLein wrote:
Funi announced Eden of the East last year, and I haven't heard anything about a release so far, so I'd be more excited about the films if I had the series.

According to their twitter, the TV run of EotE is aimed for a late summer release.

Link please? What Channel would air EotE anyways?

I think he meant they plan to release the TV series on DVD in late summer.

Oh alright, lol. You can see how I misread his comment though, right? xD

Dark Paladin X wrote:
Chobits...wait, isn't that already dubbed by Geneon? Why on earth Funimation would pick the series up?

By the way, if Funimation manages to pick up Cardcaptors Sakura, then I would recommend using the dub cast from the second movie (if they could get an agreement with the unions in California).

I'm just waiting for either Funimation or Bandai to pick up To Aru Majutsu no Index (Bandai got my hopes back by bringing back the same dub cast from the first season of Haruhi Suzumiya).

Probably because the Geneon Singles and Box Set are expensive and rare now?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Because Geneon USA is a dead entity as of two years ago that no longer licenses anime and doesn't have the abillity or staff to continue production and sales of Chobits or any other of it's own series anymore due to financial trouble. Therefore they have partnered with Funimation which puts out their DVDs for them. If they want to release any of their titles they have to do it through Funimation. Funimation releases of old Geneon series are basically the same old Geneon release repackaged and rearranged with a Funi label plastered on it next to the Geneon one.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Good to see Chobits getting a re-release, but I have to wonder how good the show will look on bluray, considering its age. I love Spice and Wolf, but I'd like to wait for a blu ray version.
Dark Paladin X

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Quote:

Because Geneon USA is a dead entity as of two years ago that no longer licenses anime and doesn't have the abillity or staff to continue production and sales of Chobits or any other of it's own series anymore due to financial trouble. Therefore they have partnered with Funimation which puts out their DVDs for them. If they want to release any of their titles they have to do it through Funimation. Funimation releases of old Geneon series are basically the same old Geneon release repackaged and rearranged with a Funi label plastered on it next to the Geneon one.

Then again, they could be re-releasing Chobits in Blu-ray disc, thus giving higher quality of the video.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
The licensing of S&W II was expected but hearing it made official was still a happy moment. Most fans agreed that it was even better than the first season, so those who have only seen the first season have a lot to look forward to. Presumably Funimation's box set will include the wonderful episode 0 (the interlude episode between the two series), but I'll be curious to see if they actually put it at the front of the volume or not. The bigger question is whether or not Funimation will also include the "Stretching With Me" Extra which came on the Japanese Blu-Ray set.

The Eden of the East movie license is also no surprise - in fact, Funi would be dropping the ball massively if they got the TV series but didn't get the movies, since the movies finish off the series.

Chobits is a bit bigger surprise but probably also inevitable, given how popular it was in its day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pretty_Kitty84

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear Funi got Chobits, maybe this will clear the way for more older Geneon release rescues. (Please, please, PLEASE get Cardcaptors. Last time I saw this series going for $600 for the complete subtitles only version.) Like many I already own Chobits on DVD and see no reason to double dip on it.

Spice & Wolf 2 is no big surprise. Extremely excited to get it though. S&W was one of those series I didn't expect to enjoy so much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7