• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Boils and Ghouls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zump

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Probably the scariest anime I've ever seen is Wicked City. Yoshiaki Kawajiri's use of blue and red shading gives the film a very creepy and otherworldly feel. That scene in which spoiler[the spider woman attacks the main character in his own bedroom] is really unnerving.

Also, I think the opening scene from the original Vampire Hunter D deserves special mention. The music and visuals in that opening scene are extremely creepy.

The Devilman OVA (which was mentioned in the podcast) is another example of a scary anime, what with its various demons and its creepy musical score (courtesy of Kenji Kawai).[/spoiler]
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget also how effectively Wicked City taught us all to fear the evil, unholy vagina. Very Happy
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Interesting podcast Zac (BTW, good intro). Also I myself am a big horror movie buff. I have watch a lot of horror movie (even one from the 1930 and 1950). For me, some of the Hammer Films like Dracula and Frankenstein are like brutal and hardcore. Also, I would agree Alien was scary (and so is Jaws), and I will agree the Excorcist was disturbing. Also I like to say Higurashi was the most disturbing anime I've ever watch, I was all like "What the (Bleep)!!" whenever I watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:38 am Reply with quote
Count me as another vote for the creepiness factor of Higurashi. I bought the first volume artbox back when it first came out, then went to my brother's house and sat down to watch the first episode with him, neither of us having any idea what this show was about. spoiler[The opening scene of the main character beating two girls' heads in with a bloody bat] made us stop it rather quickly, and I didn't get around to watching it myself for a few weeks after that. After finally making it through the first arc, that damnable fifth episode started and creeped me out all over again, which wasn't helped at all by having to wait until the next volume came out. I hope one day to eventually add Kai and the OVAs to my collection, as I still haven't seen them and am still holding out hope for them.

Hunter Sopko wrote:
The only horror movies I've seen recently (which wasn't honestly that recent) were 1408 (Fantastic, effective buildup! But not a great payoff. Once the real bad **** starts happening to him in the room, it just goes downhill.), and The Mist, which was AMAZING. Glad to hear the love for it on the show. Thomas Jane (I just want my kids back!) is great in it, and the end is utterly amazing.

I actually just bought 1408 about a week ago, though I haven't watched it yet, but oh my gosh... I saw The Mist in theatres, and while it's not really "scary", per se, the amount of tension and psychological madness pushed on the characters was slightly difficult to watch. And the ending, which even King himself couldn't come up with, was so tragic... probably one of my top 3 horror movies. And the bonus black & white version on the video release actually made the movie feel slightly creepier, which was cool.
Helociraptor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It is rather silly, when we consider some of the more blatantly cheesy aspects of its resolution, but for me the second season has the benefit of actually tying together a number of events that would otherwise be nothing more than a series of creepy paranoid murders. It gives them a greater scope and a sense of thematic purpose, in a way, that they would otherwise lack. At the expense of eventually removing all of the mystery, yes, but not for a gratuitous reason. You could argue including elements of horror was ultimately nothing more than the means to an end.

I still would have preferred a resolution without said cheesy- and sillyness.
A resolution not necessarily has to solve the mystery. Season 2 could have presented a similar struggle to escape from that cycle, but without presenting a clear villain or scheme. The town itself would have made a far better antagonist, with its "motivation" and means left unexplained, in my opinion.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:30 am Reply with quote
Helociraptor wrote:
Quote:
It is rather silly, when we consider some of the more blatantly cheesy aspects of its resolution, but for me the second season has the benefit of actually tying together a number of events that would otherwise be nothing more than a series of creepy paranoid murders. It gives them a greater scope and a sense of thematic purpose, in a way, that they would otherwise lack. At the expense of eventually removing all of the mystery, yes, but not for a gratuitous reason. You could argue including elements of horror was ultimately nothing more than the means to an end.

I still would have preferred a resolution without said cheesy- and sillyness.
A resolution not necessarily has to solve the mystery. Season 2 could have presented a similar struggle to escape from that cycle, but without presenting a clear villain or scheme. spoiler[The town itself would have made a far better antagonist, with its "motivation" and means left unexplained, in my opinion.]

Now I think that would have been missing the point of the series, which I would say has just as much of a mystery element as it does a horror element. I mean, my god, by the end of the 4th question arc (besides, the fact there are "question" arcs obviously means there needs to be "answer" arcs), I had more questions about what was going on than by the end of the first season of LOST. To just leave everything unanswered would be a big middle finger to the audience.

Besides, spoiler[if it were the whole town against them (or even just the village clans), I don't think I would have found any way for the protagonists to have won to be believable, and let's face it, after all the crap they've gone through (think you've got it tough, Shinji? At least you only went through life once), I think it's fair to say they deserve their happy ending (assuming they get one).]

Granted, once again, I have not seen Kai yet, but I could get a good vibe of where the series was going by the end of Season 1. spoiler["Eye-Opening" shows us that the village clans are not behind this, and "Atonement" shows Rika (who knows about the "resets" somehow) gaining a desire to end this cycle, and possibly Keiichi will retain his memories (I'm not sure on that one). Also, Rika (and maybe Keiichi) will have to struggle to prevent their friends from falling into the paranoia and mistrust that destroyed their lives in previous arcs]. I imagine I'm not completely off on these guesses.
Helociraptor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now I think that would have been missing the point of the series, which I would say has just as much of a mystery element as it does a horror element. I mean, my god, by the end of the 4th question arc (besides, the fact there are "question" arcs obviously means there needs to be "answer" arcs), I had more questions about what was going on than by the end of the first season of LOST. To just leave everything unanswered would be a big middle finger to the audience.

Answers aren't always good, not if they don't measure up to the mystery they are supposed to solve.
How is not explaining everything a "middle finger to the audience"? Just because there is no definitive answer, given with authority, doesn't mean that there can't be any answers. They rather would come as indications and hints possibly filtered through the unreliabilty of the characters and thus subject to interpretation by the audience.

Quote:
Besides, spoiler[if it were the whole town against them (or even just the village clans), I don't think I would have found any way for the protagonists to have won to be believable, and let's face it, after all the crap they've gone through (think you've got it tough, Shinji? At least you only went through life once), I think it's fair to say they deserve their happy ending (assuming they get one).]

I meant the town as an entity, not its inhabitants. I don't see how that would have been any less believable than what they came up with.

Quote:
Granted, once again, I have not seen Kai yet, but I could get a good vibe of where the series was going by the end of Season 1.

Maybe you should watch season 2 before forming an opinion on it.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I know people have mention Bake neko from Ayakashi, but no one has mentioned Mononoke, granted it is probably much more thriller, but there are points (In the first hotel arc and during the last bake neko arc) that are legitimately scary in a disturbing way
Eyre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but did Jason say excuse me in Arabic at 52:33? (afwan)

If he did, can he suggest any resources to get Arabic anime with English subtitles?
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
Since this joint ain't capped yet. I'm gonna throw a really late hit.

What do H.P. Lovecraft's storys and and the live action Beck have in common? spoiler[In the way that Lovecraft's monsters are built up to extremes yet are left for the most part abstract, you never get to hear Koyuki sing. Theatre of the mind Mofos.]

Happy Late Halloween

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6