• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The trailer for Sonic 4: Episode 2 has just been publicly released. It will be in 3D unlike Episode 1 and will likely be a downlodable title as well.

I hope to God, its not Jason Griffith voicing him.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The trailer for Sonic 4: Episode 2 has just been publicly released. It will be in 3D unlike Episode 1 and will likely be a downlodable title as well.

I hope to God, its not Jason Griffith voicing him.

I don't think Jason would be voicing Sonic since last year. Don't tell me you are not aware that SEGA changed VAs last year. I don't think Jason was that bad as Sonic, Roger is doing good as Sonic. I don't see why people should hate Jason, it's not his fault. I would blame SEGA and 4kids for this. Jason did a good job as Keita in the anime, Kurokami.

enurtsol wrote:
I don't remember Barry Watson.
There was a time when you'd invoke the Funimation name and it'd start a flame war.

I think Barry Watson was the reason why Funi used to do a lot of heavy editing. when Barry left, Funimation started to become the company we came to love.

Quote:
And a remake of the classic French film (translated) Elevator to the Gallows. Even a remake of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mickey Rooney aside.

I'm aware of the Elevators to the Gallows remake in Japan. But I used American film because to help me add to my argument about film remake.

Breakfast at Tiffany got a Asian remake. No way, I never even heard of this remake anywhere around the web. Is there any news article or any evidence you can used to back that up? That's the first time I heard of this.

Topgunman wrote:
When you watch Street Fighter II The Animated Movie. I can honestly say the dub was so much better, and the Japanese version sucked. The soundtrack in particular sucked, no intensity, no adrenaline pumping music, it was DULL while the American version easily owned the Japanese. I'd even watch the censored version without the Chun Li shower scene over the uncut Japanese version. No one in the US complained when Vega (JP) was changed to Bison and Bison (JP) was changed to Balrog and Balrog (JP) was changed to Vega. In fact, it's the Japanese Street Fighter that was inferior in more ways as those names for for example didn't suit those characters but when switched around in the American version, it fit them perfectly.

Same goes for Dragon Ball Z, the Japanese version had the same problem with the score and OST's as SFII:TAM while the Toonami+FUNimation version made it so much more badass and intense. They even reduced the episode count and added their own music as well.

I like the way you express that. I can't say anything for the Street Fighter 2 film, but yeah the Chun-Li shower scene was probably not needed. It's just a fanservice that didn't fit in. But about DBZ, yeah I agree the music from Funimation was better. I got chance to watch DBZ without Falcouner music and some scene sounded too weak without the music. There were scene in DBZ with no music at all, like Vegeta killing Nappa and it's just doesn't feel right without the music.

At least DBZ Kai didn't need any music change when Funimation brought it over to US, although the music in DBZ Kai is now under question because of possible copyright infringement.

Also, Funimation version of Shin-Chan was indeed the way I would watch it. As Justin Cook said on ANNcast, the show in the Japanese version is inappropriate for kids in US, but too kiddish for adult audience. Hence, why the rewrite and changes.

Quote:
I don't know how the Japanese handle outside works but the original creators don't seem to be complaining, and that's partially why Japanese works are being translated into English in a more faithful manner, they were mad that their manga were being 'flipped',

I did recall Akira Toriyama (Dragonball creator) was not happy with the manga 'flipping'.

Quote:
Bottom line is, what goes on in Japan's edits of American works is not my concern because I'm not gonna watch GI Joe, Batman or Ninja Turtles in Japanese and it's up to them to decide weather they want things done faithfully or not, and American audiences decided they wanted faithful releases so the companies have to oblige.

Well not to you, but to me and some other people. Yeah it's a concern because well, I'm not a hypocrite when it comes to how countries handle foreign animation. I understand why they do it but I like to use it to show anime fans that Japan did edit to American cartoon is no different from how US use to edit anime.

Quote:
But why American fans are praising Japanese edits is something I really cannot understand. They probably feel more mature by watching them because they thing the Japanese swear and make their stuff more adult. Personally, I don't think it's something anyone other than the Japanese should be concerned about.

Well that, and probably they think Japan should punish US for editing anime by having Japan do the same thing, butcher American cartoon. At least Japan didn't pull a 4kids on South Park or Family Guy.

Quote:
Just to point this out, I'd find Japanese edits to be more confusing than 'creative' or 'uncreative.' They make all these hentai/eroge/dating sim games and adult visual novels but God of War 3's sex scene was changed to have Aphrodite's breasts covered up. It's a game for adults yet it was censored.

Yeah, Japan and also CERO tend to pull double standard and I'm a little mad at them for doing these ridiculous edit. Did you know Call of Duty Black Ops got censored in Japanbecause of tortures and gore. Yet this is the same Japan that make gory movie and movie with scene of torture like Tokyo Gore Police, Machine Girl, Suicide Club, and Grotesque. These movie have been shown and released in Japan without any censorship. Also, God of War sex scene and nudity was not the only thing Japan censored. Mafia 2's playboy magazine was censored in Japan, they censored the boobs and butts in the Japanese version of the game. Yeah, Japan has an odd censorship and that always baffle me even to this day. I will agree with you it's stupid and maybe CERO should change their guideline for nudity and graphic violence in video game both Japanese and Western. I don't want to see anymore censorship to western game in Japan, it reminds people and myself of how US use to edit Japanese games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

I like the way you express that. I can't say anything for the Street Fighter 2 film, but yeah the Chun-Li shower scene was probably not needed. It's just a fanservice that didn't fit in. But about DBZ, yeah I agree the music from Funimation was better. I got chance to watch DBZ without Falcouner music and some scene sounded too weak without the music. There were scene in DBZ with no music at all, like Vegeta killing Nappa and it's just doesn't feel right without the music.

At least DBZ Kai didn't need any music change when Funimation brought it over to US, although the music in DBZ Kai is now under question because of possible copyright infringement.

Also, Funimation version of Shin-Chan was indeed the way I would watch it. As Justin Cook said on ANNcast, the show in the Japanese version is inappropriate for kids in US, but too kiddish for adult audience. Hence, why the rewrite and changes.

On the contrary, that shower scene was hot imo. But damn, the Japanese score of SFII just destroys the mood completely even if we get 5 seconds more with a shot of her behind, that itself still wouldn't compensate the bad score.

The dub's score somehow made that shower scene seem less random and more relevant as a build-up scene to her fight against Vega.

So there are some modified anime that are actually better than the original Japanese. They just have to know how to do it right, and 4kids sure as hell don't know how to do that.

Last edited by TopGunman on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The Chun-Li shower/fight scene is the only thing the Street Fighter II movie is remembered for. In fact, it's one of the only scenes in the movie that I think actually worked. Without it, it would just be more boring garbage probalby involving more of Ryu wandering around like a hobo.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
We shall see. They're still going to have to go to court, it seems.

If it was Chapter 7, then yes, it would've been the end.

At least this is the first step of fianlly having 4kids out of our hairs for good.

The sooner they file for chapter 7 and go six feet under , the better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
With guys like Dan Green and Veronica Taylor, they'll probably go on to do voices at Ocean. FUNimation, Cartoon Network or random American cartoons, which the latter would suck.

As for the rest of 4Kids, well as long as they don't butcher any more anime I wish them the best except for that bastard, Kahn. He went on record for saying 'anime and manga will never be big in the US' proven wrong.

If 4Kids goes down, let's all celebrate with a glass of champagne, non-alcoholic for me and let's hope some series get redubs in the future like Shaman King.

Actually doing American cartoons would not suck for them, because they would get paid more. Voice acting in anime dubs doesn't pay nearly as much as doing voices in video games, American cartoons or commercials. If 4Kids went under, all the NYC voice actors likely have to move to LA to continue to work as voice actors. They wouldn't work for Ocean, because Ocean is Vancouver and why would they move to another country? In North America, LA would still the biggest market for voice actors.

Last edited by The Overlord on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
With guys like Dan Green and Veronica Taylor, they'll probably go on to do voices at Ocean. FUNimation, Cartoon Network or random American cartoons, which the latter would suck.

As for the rest of 4Kids, well as long as they don't butcher any more anime I wish them the best except for that bastard, Kahn. He went on record for saying 'anime and manga will never be big in the US' proven wrong.

If 4Kids goes down, let's all celebrate with a glass of champagne, non-alcoholic for me and let's hope some series get redubs in the future like Shaman King.

Actually doing American cartoons would not suck for them, because they would get paid more. Voice acting in anime dubs doesn't pay nearly as much as doing voices in video games, American cartoons or commercials. If 4Kids went under, all the NYC voice actors likely have to move to LA to continue to work as voice actors. They wouldn't work for Ocean, because Ocean is Vancouver and it Vancouver, why would they move to another country? In North America, LA would still the biggest market for voice actors.

There would be two options for NYAV: Either move to San Fernando,CA or relocate to NJ and be like Costal Carolina rarely getting any ADR business.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
TopGunman wrote:

Actually doing American cartoons would not suck for them, because they would get paid more. Voice acting in anime dubs doesn't pay nearly as much as doing voices in video games, American cartoons or commercials. If 4Kids went under, all the NYC voice actors likely have to move to LA to continue to work as voice actors. They wouldn't work for Ocean, because Ocean is Vancouver and it Vancouver, why would they move to another country? In North America, LA would still the biggest market for voice actors.

There would be two options for NYAV: Either move to San Fernando,CA or relocate to NJ and be like Costal Carolina rarely getting any ADR business.

Well except some individual NYAV VAs have moved to LA by themselves, like Tara Sands and Megan Hollingshead. A lot of VAs move from other parts of North America to LA to further their Voice acting career.

Anyway going to make to the main topic, just because people will lose thier jobs if 4Kids goes out of business, isn't in of itself a good reason for them to stick around. 4Kids comes off as very poorly run company, their practices were ultimately self destructive, that's why they lost the One Piece license, that was likely the beginning of the end for them. They took practices that worked for them in the past and applied them to product that so too far out of their stated mandate. It was a bad choice, they went too far on that one and it came back to bite them. Also if 4Kids committed a civil wrong, they will have to pay for it. Its sad that everyone in Enron lost their jobs, but that doesn't justify the existance of a bad company.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:

Bottom line is, what goes on in Japan's edits of American works is not my concern because I'm not gonna watch GI Joe, Batman or Ninja Turtles in Japanese and it's up to them to decide weather they want things done faithfully or not,

So let's say a Japanese company that licenses both Japanese animation --some of which you like a lot (let's say your favorite anime)-- as well as American animation shows but butchers the American animation shows. So the Japanese fans of those American shows want that Japanese company to go bankrupt. And the Japanese company does go bankrupt, and everyone rejoices, and no more of the Japanese animation of theirs that you like will ever be made. No problem with that scenario? After all, it's none of our concern as far as the Japanese are concerned. Smile

mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I don't remember Barry Watson.
There was a time when you'd invoke the Funimation name and it'd start a flame war.

I think Barry Watson was the reason why Funi used to do a lot of heavy editing. when Barry left, Funimation started to become the company we came to love.

Still, Funimation later admitted that Saban was especially strict on them. Possibly because Saban was only distributing for them and doesn't want to get in trouble for something that it does not own and thus doesn't make much money on.

mdo7 wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

And a remake of the classic French film (translated) Elevator to the Gallows. Even a remake of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Mickey Rooney aside.

I'm aware of the Elevators to the Gallows remake in Japan. But I used American film because to help me add to my argument about film remake.

Breakfast at Tiffany got a Asian remake. No way, I never even heard of this remake anywhere around the web. Is there any news article or any evidence you can used to back that up? That's the first time I heard of this.

It's not done yet.
They're having problems.

Mickey Rooney's Asian character was racist as heck, but hey, if they wanna remake it, who's gonna complain if they change that from the original, right? Laughing

mdo7 wrote:

I like the way you express that. I can't say anything for the Street Fighter 2 film, but yeah the Chun-Li shower scene was probably not needed.

Wait, what what? That's the reason we purchased the uncut VHS, just to show it around to people! Good times, good times. Laughing

mdo7 wrote:

Adult Swim/Williams Street helped in acquiring it too, so it had to be tailored to their taste.

mdo7 wrote:

Well that, and probably they think Japan should punish US for editing anime by having Japan do the same thing, butcher American cartoon. At least Japan didn't pull a 4kids on South Park or Family Guy.

But FLCL's take on South Park didn't get the point of the show. Laughing
TopGunman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So let's say a Japanese company that licenses both Japanese animation --some of which you like a lot (let's say your favorite anime)-- as well as American animation shows but butchers the American animation shows. So the Japanese fans of those American shows want that Japanese company to go bankrupt. And the Japanese company does go bankrupt, and everyone rejoices, and no more of the Japanese animation of theirs that you like will ever be made. No problem with that scenario? After all, it's none of our concern as far as the Japanese are concerned. Smile

Thankfully, that's not the case. The Japanese aren't so uptight about edits to American cartoon shows as much as we are uptight about American edits on Japanese cartoon shows since they don't even like American cartoons that much anyway. There's no situation right now that should make me feel concerned since because let's honest here, American television animation nowadays are mostly crap in comparison to old classic cartoons like Batman and have no artistic value whatsoever, therefore there's not nearly half as much business in it as there is in anime.

enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

I like the way you express that. I can't say anything for the Street Fighter 2 film, but yeah the Chun-Li shower scene was probably not needed.

Wait, what what? That's the reason we purchased the uncut VHS, just to show it around to people! Good times, good times. Laughing

It still couldn't compensate the lousy score in the original Japanese version. Good thing the better dub came out uncensored. Still wasn't worth buying it for most of us anyway.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:24 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Thankfully, that's not the case. The Japanese aren't so uptight about edits to American cartoon shows as much as we are uptight about American edits on Japanese cartoon shows since they don't even like American cartoons that much anyway.

We don't really know. The Japanese mainstream over there cares about the edits as much as the American mainstream over here cares about the edits - that is, not much. Like us, the American animation otaku over there is a niche, and I've met a few that are as rabid as some of ya guys are here.

TopGunman wrote:

There's no situation right now that should make me feel concerned since because let's honest here, American television animation nowadays are mostly crap in comparison to old classic cartoons like Batman and have no artistic value whatsoever,

Spoken like a true anime outsider would say about anime. Laughing

(How many times have anime fans say "art is art and art is subjective and regardless no to any censorship." If some say Qwaser is crap, would it still be OK to edit it? Hmmm.............)

Most of anything is disposable entertainment, and that includes anime.
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:34 am Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
All I can say is:

"Curse you, Perry the Platypus!"

LOL hellz ya. DOWN WITH 4KIDS. They have F**ked up Yu-Gi-Oh! way to much and it needs to stop. I am a duelist and I watch all the series Subbed and I can't stand these stupid dubs anymore and I am pissed as hell at them for screwing Yu-Gi-Oh! up this much. I don't want them to get a hold of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal so they better go down to the F**KING GROUND!!!!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Adult Swim/Williams Street helped in acquiring it too, so it had to be tailored to their taste.

Mother*******. It's bad enough they ruined many of the great jokes in the Japanese version (which could've easily translated into "American" quite easily), but a frelling Cable Network had a hand in the editing process as well?

**** this ****.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Mother*******. It's bad enough they ruined many of the great jokes in the Japanese version (which could've easily translated into "American" quite easily), but a frelling Cable Network had a hand in the editing process as well?

**** this ****.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Shin-chan rewrite. They made it much funnier. They didn't ruin it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

**** this ****.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Shin-chan rewrite. They made it much funnier. They didn't ruin it.

You've got a point there. In fact, I quite like the Funimation Shin Chan. It's anything but G rated or bland like most of CN's previous work. I even liked the ending theme, but there has yet to be a Funimation song I've yet not to like.

The series was pretty much left the same with the exception of the names and some other minor bits.

But yeah, I am glad 4kids is filing chapter 11, I hope they later file chapter 7. What they did to One Piece is unforgivable and irredeemable. They knew One Piece isn't for little kids and they edited the living heck out if it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8