• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Most Dangerous Alien Planets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Because a show that delved into the psyche of a group of very disturbed individuals and still tried to empathize with them in a very realistic way is definitely worse than a show about one-dimensional teenagers fighting giant anatomy dummies.

Yep.

Some people might not like watching a group of people in trouble for personal issues when it hits close to home, there are those that can't watch Watamote as a comedy because it simply wasn't funny when in effect it IS there life.

So when given the choice of watching something that is "completely outlandish" vs watching something "too close to home" sometimes people have to turn off the show that brings up harsh reality.

Sometimes people just want to watch a show to escape the drudgery of there own life at times.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I think that Jyu-Oh-Sei should be number one on this list, now that I've taken some more time to ponder, as not only is it populated with man-eating flora but being on it means that you would appear in that horrible, horrible anime.

That planet also has a "malaise of laze" as everyone on that planet became so darned lazy. Even the protagonist of the series, the guy who was biologically fated to live a very short life and who was hellbent on revenge, succumbed to the "slacker miasma" there and decided to piddle away a huge chunk of his life-literally years-doing nothing but building air conditioners and mud bricks until circumstance beat some sense back into him.

That show taught me a harsh lesson about anime: if there's a time skip in a show, there's probably a lot of "suck" along with it.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Some people might not like watching a group of people in trouble for personal issues when it hits close to home, there are those that can't watch Watamote as a comedy because it simply wasn't funny when in effect it IS there life.

Doesn't even have to be current (or recent). I stopped watching Watamote precisely because her pathetic attempts (and failures) to understand why she didn't fit in hit dead on my own situation when I was in high school (some 20+ years ago ...). I'm no longer that same person (though many of the same traits are there - I'm just better at understanding myself now) but even so the show was not enjoyable for me.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Sometimes people just want to watch a show to escape the drudgery of there own life at times.

Life doesn't have to be drudgery to want to escape Wink I enjoy my life and my work. Sometimes I escape to soaring wonders of fantasy (written or audiovisual), other times I just want to turn off my brain.

What I don't do is read or watch something I don't enjoy just because other people think I should.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
My worst show of 2013, the poor excuse for a show called Blood Lad, didn't even make the list. It's mediocrity was just that bad!

Also, I forgot to vote.

Flowers of Titan would make both best and worst lists, even from pure visibility to actual quality or lack therein and we all know how Attack on Evil can come up in both camps. An actual show with nothing worth speaking of? Slips completely beneath the radar.

And for the upcoming season, I plan on wallowing in my DVD anime collection. That should always be an option...
Himeko90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

There are 27 series that "qualified" for the list, it would be a safe bet that most that voted AoT as the "worst of 2013" probably has not even seen half of that list.

realistically people that voted on Titan are just giving it Hype Backlash because it "wasn't as good as they were told" as opposed to a substantially terrible series.

Those are some pretty big assumptions. Do you actually have proof to back them up, or are you just throwing out BS because you don't agree with the results of the poll?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:44 am Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

There are 27 series that "qualified" for the list, it would be a safe bet that most that voted AoT as the "worst of 2013" probably has not even seen half of that list.

realistically people that voted on Titan are just giving it Hype Backlash because it "wasn't as good as they were told" as opposed to a substantially terrible series.

Those are some pretty big assumptions. Do you actually have proof to back them up, or are you just throwing out BS because you don't agree with the results of the poll?

anime#14950
Witch poll was that? the one with a brief sampling time, or the one that has been up long enough to collect over 1600 votes, which one has a better consensus of the community, hmmm?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:

Witch poll was that? the one with a brief sampling time, or the one that has been up long enough to collect over 1600 votes, which one has a better consensus of the community, hmmm?

Just for reference, the "Worst Anime of 2013" poll shown in the column received 1,457 unique votes in five days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
This response from another poster more than accurately portrays my feelings on the situation.
Quote:
And honestly, that's the problem. You can never tell whether the people with differing opinions are genuinely unimpressed with something we like such as Kill la Kill or Watamote, or if they're just trying to be dicks and getting a rise out of people.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

actually there are those that agree with his assumptions. and there is also the viewership raitings of the series as proof. though yea, its kinda farfetched. but i wouldnt completely dismissed it and call his comments BS either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Himeko90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

Just for reference, the "Worst Anime of 2013" poll shown in the column received 1,457 unique votes in five days.

Slam.......... Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:

Slam.......... Laughing

Explain how it is a slam, because the numerical difference between both polls is hardly any different.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
not to mention i bet there have to be some kind of time lapse between the other versions of the website.

though this may be an honorable mention , i would probably put the planet on mai otome. considering that the planet is filled with slaves, childs and orphan monsters all over the place, it would be one place i definitely wont wanna visit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6