• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Theron & Rebecca's Anime in America 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
@Key: Yeah, good taste Wink. Nah, joking aside, I found it a very strong comedy in its own right, and the setting is used very well for novelty (or nostalgia) angle, especially with Hotaru a fish out of water in the beginning. The atmosphere in terms of the direction, music, art are also top-tier, and the little stories like in episode 4 of each season are far more than standard "cute girls doing cute things", capturing universal microcosms of the joy and sadness in growing up.

In much the same way as I'd say Love Live! is worth a watch over something much more pedestrian like Idolmaster unless you're intolerant of the very concept of idol shows, I'd skim over a ho-hum CGDCT title like GochiUsa and recommend Non Non Biyori as just a great anime.

Let's put it this way: if someone was not charmed by the first episode of the first season (I gave it a 2/5 in the Preview Guide that season), does the first season offer enough more to draw reluctant viewers in? And just saying that it is good isn't sufficient here, as quality innocuous fluff is still innocuous fluff. The first episode strongly struck me as an "if you normally like this kind of thing then you'll like this series; if you don't then don't bother" kind of thing.

To put it into perspective, consider The Seven Deadly Sins. Although I think that ends up being a very good shonen action series, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who wasn't already at least tolerant of such series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Let's put it this way: if someone was not charmed by the first episode of the first season (I gave it a 2/5 in the Preview Guide that season), does the first season offer enough more to draw reluctant viewers in? And just saying that it is good isn't sufficient here, as quality innocuous fluff is still innocuous fluff. The first episode strongly struck me as an "if you normally like this kind of thing then you'll like this series; if you don't then don't bother" kind of thing.

That's exactly what it is. I enjoyed it, but if you don't already like iyashikei cute girl shows in the same vein as K-ON!, this isn't going to do it for you. I'm not really sure why jymmy is trying to push it on you, to be honest. It is cute and has some deep little pockets of emotion, but so do most other slice of life shows. If the first episode didn't grab you, there isn't anything later on that would change your opinion.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

If you put it that way? I suppose not. Perhaps episodes four and ten, but then they may be simply the best rather than truly different. It was more the "for fans of the genre ONLY" sense of your comment I was responding to; although it didn't seem to grab you, I still think it has a broader, more universal storytelling, directorial style and humour that shine through even if cute girls are anathema to you.

Key wrote:
To put it into perspective, consider The Seven Deadly Sins. Although I think that ends up being a very good shonen action series, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who wasn't already at least tolerant of such series.

Fair enough. I don't know if I'd say "very good", but I see what you mean.
ChatxKilluaxNoir

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
I like the anime you gave awards to, & the the awards you gave, but I feel like there was other good anime that deserve some kind of award.

Here is my list & reasons why I think so.
  1. Ushio & Tora: I feel like this was one of the most enjoyable anime of 2015, & had a unique art style. Also I feel they two main mcs, Ushio & tora would have been good for the most dynamic duo/group award, I also feel like it had a good opening & closure, esp. the opening was good, basically I feel like this anime deserved some kind of award
  2. Arslan Senki: This was another one of my favorite animes, where it focused on more than the mc, & also made him feel more real, & wasnt unnatural op like lots of other mc's. I aslo found the op. & closure quiet good for this anime. I also found the war scenes & fights more realistic & different than the super powered fights of usual, I found just the whole war, & take over, betrayal, siege, basically the overall plot pretty interesting.
  3. Eden of Grisaia series: I really like this anime, it was probably my favorite of this year. With a cool 1st season, prequel, than 2nd season. I found the 2nd season op, well im pretty sure it was the 2nd season to be great. Also in this anime you will come across that statement you said, but something being being so sad its beautiful quite a number of times. This anime was really fun, could really sad at times, & depicts harsh realities that makes you relate & cheer for. not just the mc, but all the characters, But its not only a sad anime filled with action, to me this anime probably was the one that made me laugh the most. The mc, yuuji esp. made me laugh due to strange personality that devolped from never having a normal life & the strange way he was raised, Yuuji as a character is really tragic, sad, but funny character as well, he was also kind of a crybaby, & really endearingly cute, causing him to react quite different, & funnily in situations most people would react completely differently, of course it wasnt just him that made me laugh, & found really adorable & likable as well, but most of all the other characters did as well with all the weird personality traits, but sad pasts made me laugh, & really like them as well. I also really liked the art, & how they did the story line, made like the story all the more. Basically, I think this anime deserved some kind of award, like the the other two I mentioned, dont know exactly what. Plus the mc. Yuuji i a complete & total badass, sorry I just had to say that. There is other things, such as death scenes, sad past & unusual pasts, & certain scenes, that I wont specify due to possible spoilers.
Please read this post, & take these anime in commission for some kind of award, I just think these three amazing anime really deserve some kind of award, I feel they were all amazing in some way. Very Happy

{Reformatted your annotated list. Hope you don't mind. ~nobahn}
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:36 am Reply with quote
#850000 wrote:
[*]Eden of Grisaia series: I really like this anime, it was probably my favorite of this year. With a cool 1st season, prequel, than 2nd season. I found the 2nd season op, well im pretty sure it was the 2nd season to be great. Also in this anime you will come across that statement you said, but something being being so sad its beautiful quite a number of times. This anime was really fun, could really sad at times, & depicts harsh realities that makes you relate & cheer for. not just the mc, but all the characters, But its not only a sad anime filled with action, to me this anime probably was the one that made me laugh the most.

I hadn't heard much about Eden of Grisaia - I liked Fruit of Grisaia well enough, but there were enough issues that I didn't watch the sequel...but maybe I will give it a chance. You phrasing it as the first season being a "prequel" makes me a bit more interested. Very Happy As Theron said, we couldn't watch everything, but you've definitely piqued my interest in the series again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6