• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Reaches Kickstarter Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desslok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Is it really cutting costs tho? They still have to distribute the discs - and the extras at the higher tiers - to the backers. 60 bucks a volume (the 125 tier for both 1 and 2) is about in line for what these sets will probably run at retail.

So this really just a fancy preorder system where a third company take 10% off the top.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Is it really cutting costs tho? They still have to distribute the discs - and the extras at the higher tiers - to the backers. 60 bucks a volume (the 125 tier for both 1 and 2) is about in line for what these sets will probably run at retail.

So this really just a fancy preorder system where a third company take 10% off the top.

Yeah, basically. I get the complaints against abusing crowdfunding, but it's not really saving Funimation any money and it only really effects fans in a positive way, unless you were set on a quick sub-only release(at this point, what's another 6-9 months?). The vast majority, if not 100% of the people who donated, would have been first in line to buy the release if there wasn't a kickstarter anyway. Maybe they're spending a little bit more than they would have, but having the extras, like theatrical posters, and other exclusives that wouldn't otherwise be available makes it a pretty neat system. I'm all for it. I just hope that when they return to do it again, it's to get out releases for more niche titles. It's not really a loss to them to give that a shot either.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Funimation won't try and double dip by releasing the new dub and then in the future release the old dub on blu ray without the extended scenes. This would explain why only the collectors edition will have both versions in it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
Hear that! I remember back about 2001, when RightStuf put out a challenge in the days when VHS still ruled: "We want to issue The Irresponsible Captain Tylor on DVD, but we need proof we can break even -- that means [x number] of pre-orders by [y date]." Needless to say, the project was a success...and I still have my t-shirt declaring "I Made the Tylor DVDs Happen!"

That actually sounds like a fun idea for a cwordfunding reward.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 pm Reply with quote
With this success, every anime licensing company should just use kickstarter to see if the fans would pay for a redub or continuing dub of a certain show... maybe Sgt. Frog or Detective Conan. Or maybe if a show about a blonde-haired child from another world who uses lightning that is activated by a human partner fighting other demon/human pairs was given a very poor dub, perhaps a company that ruined such a brilliant anime franchise such as, say, Viz Media, could start a kickstarter to see if it's worth the trouble to redub it.

Just speaking hypothetically.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:47 am Reply with quote
The more they do it, the more people will get tired of it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The more they do it, the more people will get tired of it.

If that happens, they'll stop getting money. If you ask me, this is a great way to see what the fans want. It's also a great way to motivate the creators by paying them in advance.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Is it really cutting costs tho? They still have to distribute the discs - and the extras at the higher tiers - to the backers.

Yep, but for each backer, that means one less retail sale. So the costs of printing discs may be the same. Do we know that it is actually Funi that will be distributing the discs? I'd be surprised if they were handling the distribution to all of the backers of the KS.

And, if you think of these backers as the type of people that would've been the same ones to buy a new release for this series regardless, a lot of them are paying more than they probably would've at retail.

Add to that, having over $170k extra to help pay for a dub...I'm unsure what I'm missing that others seem to see, still looks like they're coming out with extra money they wouldn't have had if they paid for the dub themselves.

I mean, there's no way that Funi would be undertaking this project to be in the red once it's done. Even if Funi is at break even once the KS stuff is over, then they still have the retail release to benefit from.

Also, I hadn't looked into the FAQ, but I did decided to look at the distribution of this. I wonder if Funi will actually stop retailers from selling this to people outside of the US and Canada.
Quote:
The retail releases of The Vision of Escaflowne will also only be available in these two countries.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Quote:
I wonder if Funi will actually stop retailers from selling this to people outside of the US and Canada.

Funimation can make that limitation a condition of release to retailers. However, I'm not sure how well they can enforce it. If for instance Amazon sold copies elsewhere I doubt they would refuse to continue to do business with them.

Once copies get on the secondary market they have no control at all. Some retailers also have secondary market outlets .... You can look on YouTube a day or so after the initial release, you will likely see multiple copies available.
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Yep, but for each backer, that means one less retail sale. So the costs of printing discs may be the same. Do we know that it is actually Funi that will be distributing the discs? I'd be surprised if they were handling the distribution to all of the backers of the KS.

True, but that would seem to be a case of cutting off your head and standing on it to make yourself taller. Does it matter if a unit is moved from a preorder or from retail?

What Funi sells to the retailer is probably lower than the 60 a Volume so they might make more money that way, but then Kickstarter takes 10 or 15% off the top, so that extra money starts getting cut into.

Ali07 wrote:
And, if you think of these backers as the type of people that would've been the same ones to buy a new release for this series regardless, a lot of them are paying more than they probably would've at retail.

That had occurred to me. I'm still thinking that with the dub secure, canceling my backing and just picking them up next time they have a Funi sale at TRSI. It depends on whatever stretch goals they come up with in the meantime, and I still have a couple of weeks to think on it.

Ali07 wrote:
Add to that, having over $170k extra to help pay for a dub...I'm unsure what I'm missing that others seem to see, still looks like they're coming out with extra money they wouldn't have had if they paid for the dub themselves.

You know, I'm willing to give Funi the benefit of the doubt here. Yes, they might be a large studio, but they're still just a very large fish in a very small pond. With anime still being a niche market, I don't begrudge them making a little bit extra coin. It might keep them afloat during a lean year, it might help them release that Speed Racer set a little bit sooner, it might convince them to release other old anime.

If I'm getting value for my money, I fail to see how this transaction is a win/win for both Funi and me.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
If I'm getting value for my money, I fail to see how this transaction is a win/win for both Funi and me.

It feels like you assume that your value came at a net loss for Funimation when there's nothing to really indicate that.

Here's a scenario where it is a win-win: You paid $50 for something but felt it was worth $75. You feel that you got a value. You got a win. However, the people who sold it to you only paid $25 for it. They got a win. This is a win-win scenario for you and Funi where you felt you got a value.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

True, but that would seem to be a case of cutting off your head and standing on it to make yourself taller. Does it matter if a unit is moved from a preorder or from retail?

What Funi sells to the retailer is probably lower than the 60 a Volume so they might make more money that way, but then Kickstarter takes 10 or 15% off the top, so that extra money starts getting cut into.

That's one of the most hilarious analogies I've ever heard. And I love it.

Desslok wrote:

That had occurred to me. I'm still thinking that with the dub secure, canceling my backing and just picking them up next time they have a Funi sale at TRSI. It depends on whatever stretch goals they come up with in the meantime, and I still have a couple of weeks to think on it.

I'm considering doing the same. The extras that come with the tiers and the possible stretch goals are going to be the determining factors.

Desslok wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

You know, I'm willing to give Funi the benefit of the doubt here. Yes, they might be a large studio, but they're still just a very large fish in a very small pond. With anime still being a niche market, I don't begrudge them making a little bit extra coin. It might keep them afloat during a lean year, it might help them release that Speed Racer set a little bit sooner, it might convince them to release other old anime.

If I'm getting value for my money, I fail to see how this transaction isn't a win/win for both Funi and me.

I don't think that Funimation is going to make a whole lot of extra money from Kickstarter. Like you said, Kickstarter already takes 10%-15% and then you have the cost of manufacturing and distributing all of the exclusive extras on top of the Blu-ray sets. I think it'll pretty much put them right where they would have been before. The only difference is they don't have to front load any risk. They already have the money. Yeah, I think that's a win for everyone. And I really hope it does lead to them(and other distributors) doing more crowdfunding on projects that they aren't sure of. Seeing AoA do something like this to determine if there are enough people willing to pay their prices for a set of Mushi-shi, or Samurai Flamenco would be really cool(Yes, I know very very unlikely given their relationship with Japan).
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It feels like you assume that your value came at a net loss for Funimation when there's nothing to really indicate that.

Here's a scenario where it is a win-win: You paid $50 for something but felt it was worth $75. You feel that you got a value. You got a win. However, the people who sold it to you only paid $25 for it. They got a win. This is a win-win scenario for you and Funi where you felt you got a value.

In this instance, I think the value is about spot on. 125 bucks for 30 episodes of an excellent series that has been remastered and redubbed on Blu? That seems very fair.

More importantly it sends a message to other studios who might be watching, looking at older or less viable properties that could use a dub or remastering and saying "Okay, this could work". If that leads to - oh, just to pick an example out of the air - Discotek seeing Escaflowne's rampaging success and then deciding to set up a campaign to dub the back half of Red Jacket Lupin III, I would consider this 125 bucks well spent.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Desslok wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

In this instance, I think the value is about spot on. 125 bucks for 30 episodes of an excellent series that has been remastered and redubbed on Blu? That seems very fair.

More importantly it sends a message to other studios who might be watching, looking at older or less viable properties that could use a dub or remastering and saying "Okay, this could work". If that leads to - oh, just to pick an example out of the air - Discotek seeing Escaflowne's rampaging success and then deciding to set up a campaign to dub the back half of Red Jacket Lupin III, I would consider this 125 bucks well spent.

"If I'm getting value for my money, I fail to see how this transaction is a win/win for both Funi and me."

I don't understand how the Forum quote relates to that italicized statement. It seems like you definitely see how you could get value for yourself and that it could be a win for yourself, but I'm confused on what about it makes you think Funi couldn't have got a win from the transaction.

Did you mean you to write "win/loss" rather than "win/win"?
Desslok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
No, everybody wins. Funi gets to release an older series with little up-front risk, I get a great classic on my shelf in a sexy new format and the fence riders can hang on for six months until retail prices (and better) to get a better deal for a great classic in a sexy new format. Everyone comes out ahead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7