• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Gets Live-Action American TV Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Are they gonna keep all the fanservice? It could be just like another Game of Thrones.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I hope there will be a real Live action adaptation in Japan, where they know how to do good adaptations.

Yeah, because "Gantz," "Parasyte," "Casshern," "Gatchaman," and "Attack on Titan" were given such justice.
Nacirema

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
It a interesting announcement. It also worth noting that the company describe the series as:
Quote:
The all-new Skydance Television series will follow a brilliant young beta tester Kirito and his group of friends when they are trapped

It seem to be like the company is going to keep the original Japanese name.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
My initial reaction is hysterical laughter.

Hopefully the show is pretty and entertaining... if it even comes out.
Mexican Batman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the series, I have only this to say about the adaptation:

It
will
be
a
train
wreck.

Seriously, nobody will watch it. Stick to the books and anime.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
So I didn't read the whole thing.

My first question is "Skydance"? Are they known for any show? do they target kids or not.

Done by the right people, that could be nice, I guess. The story is pretty much universal, and would work with a live action. The problem is that fantasy/sci-fi show are some of the most expensive. the fact it's an independant production company makes me wonder if they will have the budget for making it look good. I mean, the whole dual wielding thing for example would look pretty underwhelming without numeric edition.

Another thing I'm afraid is the way they will portray the gamer/geek community. Television is a really conservative medium, and for f*ck sake, the image of the geek community that tv give is awful. I rarely seen it treated with respect. It's always the nice weird guy, or the associal, etc. Stereotypes everywhere. The wrose being "The big bang Theory". Even if the show is funny enough the first time you see it, the description of the geek/gamer community is awful in this. Retarded teenagers at best. And that's what the image the public have of that. And more than the budget or the fidelity to the original content, that make me afraid.

About the story, the good thing is that they can expand. If they keep the concept of being stuck in the game, the bad guy, and, the kirito/asuna thing, that's enough. They can keep the context, and create new stories (they are supposed to live a year in that, so many thing can be addedp and talk of many interesting theme, as the lawless zone that the net is, how people act differently on the net and in their life, etc.

In the end, I don't know how to feel. It has a great potential, The concept is rich enough to do many thing, and even with many differences, the SAO concept would still be there.
But there also is plenty of room to be an abomination. So, wait and see.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
At least they're not messing up a good anime. SAO was watchable, but forgettable. It just happened to come up in a season there wasn't much else worthwhile watching. Anime fans are about the only ones who really bothered to watch it. And it's not a beloved show like Dragonball or Naruto. (Well maybe not so much Naruto now.)
Lee syaoran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
This is a good thing. Movies tend to rush things, tv will allow this SAO to keep its pace. It is essentially a hunger games type story mixed with some online gaming. America is hungry for this. I always wonder why there is so little transported to a nother world fiction in America. Japan cranks out a new one every season.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

(But trust a SAO thread to get five pages of responses in as many minutes...) Rolling Eyes

Funny how despite your condescending snark and bait comment towards the series here you are posting in that very thread. Thus adding to the page count you hold disdain for. Mr Kettle is calling.
Amuris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
And... this is outta left field.

I don't really know what to think. I love the series, but the anime sort of put it in a weird light.

Honestly, I think that's where all the (rather pointless) hate comes from, imo. Because if you read the light novels, you'll see that there is really a lot more going on with the story.

In fact, the two biggest negative complaints I read people saying about SAO is that it devolves into a harem anime and that it has a confusing amount of time-skipping. And that isn't actually a false statement. But it's really the anime that depicts it this way because it mixes in different side stories into it's chronology.

The LN's chronology, in anime episode terms, actually goes from episode 1, then immediately jumps to episode 8 and stays it's course from there (meaning no more gaping time-skips).

The episodes with Sachi, Lizbeth, Yui, etc are all side stories that are written after the first book. And while they are still part of the series, they aren't critical to the main plot.

When Laeta Kalogridis said she was inspired by it's masterful and inventive story telling, she is probably talking about the original books, which are actually pretty darn good. Mainly because they don't reek of generic anime harem... not to say the cast is any different... but you just see them in a different light is all.

If you ask me, it feels worse reading the light novel, at least if you read it as it was coming out like I did. Progressive may have fixed things, but the original was worse for those things than the anime was. It may have killed the pacing for random harem building stories, but it doesn't feel as bad as all of those stories being added for the sake of desperately trying to make a complete story incomplete. This made worse by half of them being forgotten and failing to contribute to the plot. If "Americanizing" it includes ignoring the harem and keeping all the romance between Krito and Asuna, it would be a return to what was good about SAO in the first place.

SWAnimefan wrote:

Then there is the story itself, I question they would be even be allowed to show powerful moments that was in the story, like spoiler[the sex scene between Kirito and Asuna], what happened to Asuna at the end of the ALO arc, or Shinon's life. spoiler[(Not due to the gun attack, but the fact she's living alone and almost was raped).] So makes me think the SAO we know, will be drastically altered for the sake of a Western TV audience, unless they move it to HBO and the cast are over 18.

you know that first one was cut out of the novel when it was published. What we read was a section of the webnovel thrown back into the rest of it. It was never part of the official publication.

Also, Animeking1108 has a good point. Most Japanese live action adaptions screwup just as much as American ones...I think the problem isn't what country does the adaption. Seriously, the only one were the race of the actors is a real issue is the last airbender, since the aparent races of the characters are intentional there rather than a symptom of the writers own race or nationality. Considering that, race distribution in attack on titan was also intentional but they worked with what they had, japanese actors.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
At least they're not messing up a good anime. SAO was watchable, but forgettable. It just happened to come up in a season there wasn't much else worthwhile watching. Anime fans are about the only ones who really bothered to watch it. And it's not a beloved show like Dragonball or Naruto. (Well maybe not so much Naruto now.)

I would call it the opposite of forgettable. And its fanbase is still very loud and vocal years later(hence a Hollywood adaptation). They love it to death, and they won't let you forget it. It also really seems to have spread beyond the core anime fandom in my experience. The number of times I've had to tell my teenage non-anime-fan nieces that it's a bad show after their friends keep recommending it as a gateway anime is almost upsetting. This is not the kind of anime that I want to be known for. And certainly not something I would ever recommend to someone who hasn't seen anything else the medium has to offer.
Alcest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
Remington Steele wrote:
This could work if they work with the source material. Being America and wanting to white wash everything and ignore the source, it will probably suck. I will be checking it out though.

I see more blackwashing than anything, these days. Also, you obviously are completely clueless about Japanese live-action movie industry if you think that ignoring source is an American thing.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I hope there will be a real Live action adaptation in Japan, where they know how to do good adaptations.

Yeah, because "Gantz," "Parasyte," "Casshern," "Gatchaman," and "Attack on Titan" were given such justice.

Like in everything, there are some adaptations that things don't work too well, but also there are good adaptions but in the case of American Live Action adaptations of manga and anime there are zero good adaptations.

American SAO will probably have the same setting of the original, but they will probably change everything else. Like i said before, can you imagine a US adaptation of a LN that have teenagers as main characters, with a harem flavor, where are scenes of teenagers killing teenagers, attempted rape, tentacles, incest ,etc
Can you imagine the firestorm on American media? Teenagers involved in this kind of things? No way the production don't change many things.

I expect the localization going to be very big in this adaptation, and like in the other American adaptations, that will going to ruin the adaptation.
That's why it would be better a Japanese Live Action Adaptation, that don't have so many constrains.

Remington Steele wrote:
This could work if they work with the source material. Being America and wanting to white wash everything and ignore the source, it will probably suck. I will be checking it out though.

White Wash will be pretty easy in this case, because the setting is in a game, the characters can have any face they wanted.

writerpatrick wrote:

Sure, and been the 2nd most popular anime on myanimelist only behind Death Note is because is not that beloved.
DPaladinD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
I'd hope not, but I can't see them casting even up and coming Asian actors to play Kirito and Asuna. They'll both be the in game names for the series' two leads, despite the original mention of Asuna being new to gaming and used her real name.

Seeing as in the anime, and I believe the LNs, they made a point of explaining how they came up with their online names at certain points. Would love to see this adaptation stumble through that if its not Kazuto and Asuna as the leads.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
Are they gonna keep all the fanservice? It could be just like another Game of Thrones.

Meh, the fanservice is SAO is vastly overblown. The vast majority of it is the camera focusing on a girl's butt or breasts instead of her face, and a few tame skimpy outfits. Besides that, you have three scenes of a girl in her underwear, a couple scenes of a girl bathing, a few scenes of girls in swimsuits, and that's basically it. If you really stretch the definition of "fanservice" you can add two or three scenes of a girl being attacked.

All in all, it's pretty unremarkable.

#854688 wrote:
you know that first one was cut out of the novel when it was published. What we read was a section of the webnovel thrown back into the rest of it. It was never part of the official publication.

It wasn't even in the webnovel originally. It was it's own separate side story posted separately on the author's website, hence why it has a title that the author recognizes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8