• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Online Petition Demands Content Warnings for Sexual Violence in Weekly Shonen Jump

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Are we really saying that "nobody takes no-consent groping as a real threat because it is fantasy" the very same month a mangaka has been arrested by (allegdly) groping junior high girls?

And take notice the petition is NOT asking for the removal of the material, but a label warning, like videogames, movies... what's wrong with that, I wonder?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:06 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Are we really saying that "nobody takes no-consent groping as a real threat because it is fantasy" the very same month a mangaka has been arrested by (allegdly) groping junior high girls?

No one is saying non-consent groping/sexual harassment in real life isn't an issue, just about everyone took what happened very seriously.

Quote:
And take notice the petition is NOT asking for the removal of the material, but a label warning, like videogames, movies... what's wrong with that, I wonder?

A label on the magazine/stories is one thing, but take note what the article mentions;
Quote:
The campaign organizer, a man named Manabu Sekiguchi, demanded that Weekly Shonen Jump should include content warnings or explanatory notes in panels containing sexual violence. He also demanded for Jump to survey its readers about their level of sexual education in order to create expressions of sexuality that can be properly grasped by the audience.

The level proposed is simply too intrusive, and the latter part would constrain freedom of the artists/authors.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Quote:
At the very least we can all learn to admit things can cause harm so we can start to better understand exactly what that harm is.

We can all also learn some things are harmless no matter how prejudiced puritanical view one holds. Are you up to the challenge?

Ah yes the very brave challenge of holding hands over my ears and loudly yelling PURITANS. Puritans, the people that were so incensed over the fact others dared to have interpretations of a fictional work and demanded it never be explored, because it hurt their world view too much that others might be more open to new ideas that could cause things to change.
out-of-control

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
The level proposed is simply too intrusive, and the latter part would constrain freedom of the artists/authors.

What's wrong with constraints on creative freedom for a magazine that's still aimed at minors which comprise a significant amount of its buyers, even if they're no longer the majority? You wouldn't run Berserk on Weekly Shonen Jump, would you? There's always Young Jump, Ultra Jump, and a ton of other seinen magazines from other publishers where the type of content that the petition author finds unsuitable for WSJ would fit in perfectly well.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Ah yes the very brave challenge of holding hands over my ears and loudly yelling PURITANS. Puritans, the people that were so incensed over the fact others dared to have interpretations of a fictional work and demanded it never be explored, because it hurt their world view too much that others might be more open to new ideas that could cause things to change.

puritanical: adjective having or displaying a very strict or censorious moral attitude towards self-indulgence or sex.

Sort of you're right, the historical Puritans(many different groups, mainly reserved for the more extreme wing of Protestantism/Calvinism) had a beef with the more mainstream movement in how far they went removing Roman Catholic influence from their teachings and going back to the, in their mind, purer Christianity, ie essentially in how one went interpreting the bible. However that is outside the scope of this article.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:16 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
lossthief wrote:
Nobody's saying media can make you believe things that are obviously impossible are suddenly possible. What they're saying is that the framing of an action can influence how people perceive similar actions in the real world. Teens reading Dragonball probably won't go out and flip skirts to emulate Master Roshi, but when somebody else does flip a skirt or grope a girl, it can offer a frame of reference where they see it as just a harmless prank instead of sexual harassment or assault. Or it can influence them to dismiss the girl being upset as her overreacting. THAT is where media routinely and consistently portraying nonconsensual sexual acts as funny or harmless or attractive becomes a problem, especially when standardized sex ed so rarely covers the topic of consent.

At the end of the day we're talking about kids here. There's a huge difference between a kid doing something and an adult doing something. People trying to compare this to the act-age mangaka are being very disingenuous. If a young boy slapped a girl on the butt while riding his bike past her like that mangaka did, they'd get detention or some other form of disciplinary action from their parents or school. At most, they'd be suspended for a bit. When an adult does that, that's a crime because they're older and know better. That's why they go to jail and put on a sex offender registry for doing the same thing. Kids are going to do stupid and immature things as a part of their growing and learning experience. Some people never learn or grow, but that's more of a failure in their personal life than anything that has to do with the media they consume and they'll quickly find themselves as a member of the prison system.

Yeah, no, screw this. This is exactly the kind of "boys will be boys" garbage the writer of the petition was against.

You're framing boys sexually violating girls as youthful mischief. Do you know the kind of damage that does to the girls? How humiliating it feels, the anger and shame it creates? And what kind of message it sends to both parties when it's framed as "not a big deal"? It sucks! It's a horrible feeling, and not in a "youthful mischief" kind of way but in a "lasting psychological damage" kind of way.

I work with young kids, and turns out you can teach them about consent and respect each other's bodies from a very young age - like, starting in infancy. We teach children to pay attention to each other's body language, like if they're trying to give someone a hug and they start pulling away. We teach them to ask if they can draw on someone else's paper or knock over a tower they built. We don't act entitled to their bodies by forcing physical affection they may not want. The brain starts forming these connections very, very early and it's better and more effective to start reinforcing them from day one.

Quote:
puritanical: adjective having or displaying a very strict or censorious moral attitude towards self-indulgence or sex.

Believe it or not, most of us aren't objecting because of a hatred of sex, but due to a belief that boys and girls alike have the right not to be treated as sexual objects, but as human beings. I actually love a lot of sexy content, but only when it, you know, treats people of all genders as willing and enthusiastic participants.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Do not change the goalposts. The objective is non-consensual sex. Nobody is saying "oh, no, my kid saw a tit! What an outrage!".

Do you have any problem with addressing the problem of non-consensual sex acts passing as a laughing matter? Rolling Eyes
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Do not change the goalposts. The objective is non-consensual sex. Nobody is saying "oh, no, my kid saw a tit! What an outrage!".

Do you have any problem with addressing the problem of non-consensual sex acts passing as a laughing matter? Rolling Eyes

As I said, real life crimes have no relation to fictional events. Non-consentual acts are fine, in fiction. If you don't want to read such fiction, don't read such fiction.

On the other hand, no-one should pass such crimes as a laughing matter when they happen in real life.

Is it so hard to see the distinction?
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

It would be funny if it wasn't so annoying, that so many of us -and the petition itself- have emphasized this is about depictions of non-consensual sex, and yet the "fanservice defender" peeps keep yelling at a strawman puritan sex-hater that wants to censor all of the cartoon tiddies.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Yeah, no, screw this. This is exactly the kind of "boys will be boys" garbage the writer of the petition was against.

You're framing boys sexually violating girls as youthful mischief. Do you know the kind of damage that does to the girls? How humiliating it feels, the anger and shame it creates? And what kind of message it sends to both parties when it's framed as "not a big deal"? It sucks! It's a horrible feeling, and not in a "youthful mischief" kind of way but in a "lasting psychological damage" kind of way.

I work with young kids, and turns out you can teach them about consent and respect each other's bodies from a very young age - like, starting in infancy. We teach children to pay attention to each other's body language, like if they're trying to give someone a hug and they start pulling away. We teach them to ask if they can draw on someone else's paper or knock over a tower they built. We don't act entitled to their bodies by forcing physical affection they may not want. The brain starts forming these connections very, very early and it's better and more effective to start reinforcing them from day one.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're referring to working with little kids if you're talking about playing with toys and drawing. That's a far cry from talking about middle school and high school aged teenagers who are going to get all moody, rebellious, and full of raging hormones. If telling people not to do bad things worked, there would be no crime. Obviously it doesn't. "Boys will be boys" is not an excuse for people to act that way without consequence, it's a proclamation. Boys will be boys. They're going to get into fights, run through the girls locker rooms on a dare, experiment with drugs and other substances, try to have sex, and be overall unruly. I hope you don't think those kids you work with will stay sweet little angels forever who never talk back to their parents or will act out come the time they enter junior high and high school. If I'm wrong, feel free to DM me in 10 years and let me know. The idea that teenagers only act lout like that because of manga or any other type of media in simply not true.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're referring to working with little kids if you're talking about playing with toys and drawing. That's a far cry from talking about middle school and high school aged teenagers who are going to get all moody, rebellious, and full of raging hormones. If telling people not to do bad things worked, there would be no crime. Obviously it doesn't. "Boys will be boys" is not an excuse for people to act that way without consequence, it's a proclamation. Boys will be boys. They're going to get into fights, run through the girls locker rooms on a dare, experiment with drugs and other substances, try to have sex, and be overall unruly. I hope you don't think those kids you work with will stay sweet little angels forever who never talk back to their parents or will act out come the time they enter junior high and high school. If I'm wrong, feel free to DM me in 10 years and let me know. The idea that teenagers only act lout like that because of manga or any other type of media in simply not true.

L M A O your understanding of child development is laughable
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

So, my experience is going to be about as anecdotal as yours but hopefully it opens your eyes to how ridiculous it is to make blanket statements about behavior based on gender. I'm a parent of two boys, the oldest is 11 and entering middle school. As part of being a good parent I've had frank discussions with him about physical consent.

I start this with my kids from about the age that they can talk. In a move that my parent's generation finds completely mind-blowing, I ask them if I can show them physical affection. I ask my toddler if I can kiss him goodnight. Sometimes he tells me no for whatever reason. In those instances I say "OK" instead of play-pouting. I don't act like it hurts my feelings. I do this intentionally as an example of normalizing asking for consent and accepting rejection.

My oldest has some kind of interest in the opposite sex, although he's private about it. Regardless, in his very short lifespan he has never been disciplined at school or by me for having a problem keeping his hands to himself or pursuing that interest in a way that was inappropriate. It isn't a given that all boys/guys/men will act out their interest in women by touching, flashing, grabbing, sneaking, etc. That image of boyhood is an excuse for making girls/women tolerate it. Even without the proactive steps I take, I'd argue that there's just as many guys whose experience was liking a girl, asking a girl out, asking a girl if she WANTS to fool around, etc. I'm not suggesting teenagers won't get up to any kind of sexual shenanigans (or even that they shouldn't), only that it SHOULD be normal for both parties to be interested.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Snipping previous quote...

There are many teenagers, male and female, who do not engage in the types of behavior you're trying to pass off as a completely unavoidable parts of life. There's a big difference between a healthy and reasonable exploration and gradual expansion of one's boundaries and behavior that is best described as antisocial, criminal, or both. And this doesn't rule out teenagers exploring their sexuality in a healthy and consensual fashion.

Your dim view of teenagers is condescending and honestly rather insulting. Raging hormones don't force teens to sexually harass their classmates, they only remove inhibitions on desires that were already present. That many high school students graduate without disciplinary records should be plenty of evidence to at least entertain the notion that maybe, just maybe, not all teenagers are unabashed not-so-nice-people. People, be they children, adults, or somewhere in-between, act out for a reason, or oftentimes for many reasons.

Lastly, your post seems to imply that only boys will act out... which is just flat out ridiculous. Acting out generally isn't a good thing, but boys hardly have a monopoly on such behavior.

Edit: Trying to stay on topic...
As far as the article is concerned, I think it's important to keep in mind the focus on sexual violence. The petition never says that all sexual content should be banned from the magazine, nor does it even say that sexual violence should be banned from the magazine. The idea of attaching content warnings to scenes of sexual violence doesn't strike me as a fundamentally bad idea. Heck, I wouldn't oppose similar warnings for general physical violence either, but that's another kettle of fish. However, I tend to agree that adding warnings to individual panels seems like an unnecessarily onerous task. I think a better idea would be to put whatever warnings are warranted on the page or two before and possibly after the chapter.

Would such warnings prevent readers from reading such labeled chapters? No. Do I think that it would be a helpful tool for younger readers and potentially their parents to be better-informed consumers? Absolutely.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
"Boys will be boys" is not an excuse for people to act that way without consequence, it's a proclamation. Boys will be boys. They're going to get into fights, run through the girls locker rooms on a dare, experiment with drugs and other substances, try to have sex, and be overall unruly.

This is such utter bullshit it's not even funny. For starters you are completely justifying bad behavior by saying boys WILL BE boys. Secondly, that is an extremely rude and blatant blanket judgment against all young men. You're saying every young boy is going to act put and do these sorts of offensive or stupid things. Not only that, but when they do it it's just because they're boys. Yea, no. Neither myself nor any of my friends ever did shit like that. We didn't do it because it was rude, offensive, mean spirited, or just flat out stupid. We were raised to not act like little shits and have some modicum of self restraint. So no, boys WILL be boys is not an acceptable excuse, nor is it even a valid blanket judgment. No one is going to stay "a sweet little forever" as you put it, but that doesn't mean they'll act out in the manner you described. Everyone makes mistakes, it's part of growing up. That does not mean they are going to act in such a manner as above, nor does it excuse it.

Ryujin99 wrote:

Lastly, your post seems to imply that only boys will act out... which is just flat out ridiculous. Acting out generally isn't a good thing, but boys hardly have a monopoly on such behavior.

I agree. Some of the worst offenders in my class growing up were the girls. This fallacy of boys will be boys also implies that ONLY boys will act out. Girls do it just as much. Girls can also be just as interested in sex as boys. Which goes back to the whole consensual aspect, and how having warnings against such material in the magazines (related to the petition) is hardly a bad thing.
Hi! Jhonathan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:04 am Reply with quote
Someone here mebtioned the program 24h, i think this comparision miss the mark of the issue at hand, because 24h is not a fictional show, it's a live documentary, that follows real life policemen, well at least that's how this program is here in Brazil, maybe there in America, the situation is different, and they include more fiction on the program. Wherever the point I want to reach here is, even with a program glorifying and romaticing the police force, this didn't prevented the population of the USA, of foming together and start rioting, asking for a reform in the police. This on itself is a proof that the affect of fiction is more abstract and less direct, than this petition tries to tell us. Fiction can have a impact on reality, wherever is not direct, and it depends on the person subjectivity. Ecchi mangas can be perceived as gross and bad, wherever they're not responsibles for the bad treatment that woman receive in Japan. And even if we start working under the idea that they can influence bad acts, so we have to apply this vision to every work that show characters having bad attitudes, should we put a warning in every page of Fairy Tail were Grey tales off his clothes in public? A warning in every page where a girl, after getting embarrassed because of a compliment, hits violently the one that complimented her? A warning every time a character uses violence to solve a disagreement or falls wronged?
We also totally shouldn't brush off sexual assault as a natural and silly thing, wherever the focus should be put in solving the misconceptions of these kids and searching way to prevent and educate them, instead of trying to change the media that they consume, since as I said before, has a extremely abstract effect
I also would like to say that, my comment isn't a end to all, is just my opinion, and I appreciate the vision of others, even if they disagree with me. I believe that is possible to discuss this matter and reach a satisfying conclusion, to both sides
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7