• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
A bit surprised to see ID: invader in disappointment, I've seen many person mention it in their best of 2020 list.

Gotta agree on Digimon, the first couple of episodes were really strong but it started taking a noise dive after that. I wonder if it would have turned out better if it had been fully original and they weren't confined in their option by having to follow previous version.

I'm pretty aggressive at dropping stuff so I can't really add much, I guess I'd pick Yashahime. It's not particularly bad but so generic and full of weird decision that undermine it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I didn't watch any of the worst pics.

Blew my load early on what I thought was the worst of 2020 back in the first page - animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5262868#5262868 - but that's only when it comes to stuff I finished. For stuff I dropped, most of them were just out of boredom rather than anything too specific except for Elaina - not really the same issues everyone had with episode 3 (I just thought it was pointless if we're not getting any involvement from her) but episode 6 upped Elaina's annoying tendencies to eleven, and I just gave up on ever liking any element of that show.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Hmm, Gibiate hadn't even been on my radar, but I do also love a really bad anime sometimes. Can anyone tell me if it's "so bad it's good" sort of mess? ...Also probably going to want to watch Island of Giant Insects in this case.
Mother's Basement did a short run at Gibiate and claims it his worst of 2020. https://youtu.be/eKTKRS71whE Here is a "sakuga" moment from it https://twitter.com/i/status/1345479282097680384

For Mr. Martin and yourself, I am getting the dub version of Giant Insects and the initial dialog is so stupid it promises to elevate the already bad Japanese action to funny status.
Nodz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
How was Attack on Titan: The Final Season even an option on the Mega Poll list when only 5 of it's 16 episodes actually aired last year? That's more than a little ridiculous

Only 4 episodes aired!
And I totally agree... It seems people voted for the anime itself and not for these 4 episodes that aired in 2020.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I didn't vote for it (because it didn't finish) but to be entirely honest those 4 episodes were some of the best anime of the year, to me. I don't mind seeing it 'win' the poll.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Mister @Nicholas Dupree , "Cagaster" isn't portuguese but "Cagaste"(you took a shit) is.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Runner-up here would be the OVA for DanMachi 2.
But that was hilarious though.

Last edited by FilthyCasual on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Noblewoman Maria skates on the edge of a few “possessive lesbian” tropes but it's hard not to cheer for her given how visibly she's spent her life trying to find a place she can be with Katarina when the nobility still visibly relies on arranged marriages between men and women.

Do you mean "Mary"?
me_barron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait, Appare and Kosame are gay? Color me oblivious.
db999

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed reading the worst of the year and some of the entries were hilarious to read. All of the writers did a good job of making me laugh with their descriptions of their worst anime. I guess the worst anime I watched this year would be Yashahime, which I do enjoy, but it was really disappointing. I watched 11 anime this year.

11 Yashahime
I mostly enjoy the show, but it’s definitely the weakest show I watched this year. It mostly suffers from pacing problems, and there’s also a problem with the character’s not being motivated to find their parents. Still, there are worse ways to pass the time than watching this show so it’s not like it’s bad. I’ll probably drop the show until it concludes because there are too many shows I want to watch next season and this will have to be a casualty.

10 God of High School
I rarely put shows that I didn’t finish onto my list, but in this case, I only stopped because I was fully satisfied with the show by episode 5. Sure the story isn’t very good and the characters are too basic, but that action animation sure is good. And I really like episode 5’s conclusion and felt that the characterization was finally at a good point. However, I stopped because I was fully satisfied and didn’t need to see the rest of the show.

9 My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead To Doom
This show was just pure fun. I thought most of the episodes were funny and Bakarina is laughably dense. It also surprised me by being legitimately moving near the end of the show. The only reason it’s so low is that while it is fun, I don’t really see myself ever rewatching the show, but I’ll definitely check out season 2 when it drops.

8 Sword Art Online War of the Underworld Part 2
Alicization started out really strong with the first 3 Cours, but by the time the conclusion came about it started to tire me out. Pretty much the reason why it’s this low is that the fight against PoH lasted for way too long, and there’s also the fact that the show doesn’t end so much as just stop. If it wasn’t for the fact that Unital Ring existed and is going to be adapted, eventually, I probably would have made it lower, but the first half of this season was still excellent so I can’t rank it too low.

7 Higurashi When They Cry Gou
I sure didn’t expect this to pull the rug out from under me and reveal itself to be a sequel instead of a remake but I’m definitely sticking with the show. The animation is much better than the original season and the twists to the formula are really interesting and I want to know how the series ends up. However given that Higurashi is also a mystery series, I won’t be able to rank it higher until the mystery is revealed.

6 My Hero Academia Season 4 2nd Half
The second half of this season ended up being another cool down arc, but one that was thoroughly enjoyable. The festival had some funny gags such as class 1-B’s Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter ripoff performance, and I enjoyed the new minor villains Gentle Criminal and La Brava. The class performance was really good as well. I also really enjoyed the final 3 episodes and if this part of the season had been that good It could have made it into the top 5, but these types of arcs are necessary.

5 Railgun T
This season of Railgun was quite good especially the first story arc dealing with the sports festival. Having to see Misaka navigate the events with her friends not remembering her led to some pretty cool moments. The second half is a bit less strong, due to it being more episodic, but the final few episodes ended up being really fun. My favorite part is probably the interactions between Misaka and Misaki who make for a great pair of frenemies. I was also pleasantly surprised it managed to keep its production values consistent despite the constant delays.

4 Kaguya Love is War Season 2
I’m a pretty new convert into loving this series with me not having watched it’s first season when it came out. I watched season 1 earlier this year and absolutely loved it. Just finished binging season 2 and I liked it as much as season 1. Unlike a lot of others, I don’t think either season is all that different in terms of quality. Sure I think season 1 is funnier, but the storytelling in season 2 was stronger so I think it evens out. Can’t wait for season 3 next year.

3 Jujutsu Kaisen
This is one of the hardest top 3s for me as each of these three shows are near masterpieces, but Jujutsu Kaisen just missed out on the silver. Not only have the production values been some of the best I’ve ever seen, but the story and characters are excellent enough to back up the animation. The soundtrack is also phenomenal as well. This also has one of the most likable casts of the year and it also has some really surprising twists and turns. This is pretty much classic shounen perfection.

2 Beastars
I almost didn’t check this series out but I’m glad I did because it’s swiftly become a new favorite. It’s also quite unique in that I haven’t really seen much else like it. In a lesser writer or studio's hands, the disparate tones could have made for a very uneven show, but everything manages to stick together. The 3D was also fantastic, it never brought me out of the show and a lot of the time I forget I’m even watching a 3D series. The only problem the 3D sometimes has is with some of the wide shots of the school. I also think it nails the messaging by not going for such a 1;1 racism parable. While that does play into the series I appreciate how subtly it was handled. If it had been simulcasted outside of Japan when it aired last year it probably would have been my favorite show of 2019, but alas it’s going to have to be number 2 this year instead.

1 Fruits Basket
It wasn’t even a contest Fruits Basket is shaping up to be one of my favorite series of all time. Season 1 was in 4th place for me last year, but this season is an improvement in every way. Every episode released this year was a treat and over half of them made me cry. The characters got a lot more development and the series did a good job of revealing information about the curse. It also made me wonder about Akito’s character a bit as it gave me a tiny bit of sympathy for them. In some of the flashbacks Akito actually seemed not much different than any other child, but this season made it clear that something made them snap and turn into the bitter awful person we love to hate today. As an anime-only watcher, I hope the final season continues to be as good as this season was because if it can stick the landing it’ll definitely be one of the best anime ever.

Also it’s cool to see the results of the poll and my top 4 are in the list, I didn’t rank Attack on Titan because theres only 4 episodes and it’s nowhere near finished.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:51 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
I am seeing complete opposite takes of BNA and both sides sound credible, one says it’s a bold project with ambitious themes and directions, and the other said the latter half crumbled and the ending rushed a lot (if we ignore the whole style over substance thing). I don’t even know which side to trust since I have to watch at least quite a few episodes myself to tell if my time investment is justified

Those two takes on BNA aren't mutually exclusive. Personally, I believe its a bit of both: ambitious but falters in the latter half, specifically the last episode.

I would agree on that.
I loved the first half of the show, but it really suffers in the second. The first half (mostly episodic) is worth a watch, at least.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:08 pm Reply with quote
When the voting for the Mega poll first open, I was really really afraid that the Demon Slayer movie would just have another landslide victory here but I was pleasantly surprised it only got as high as 5th. No offence to the movie or the fans who enjoyed it. AOT Final Season was pretty much a given to win this since its arguably the most highly anticipated anime of the season so it didn't matter if its finished or not.

On another topic, what happen to the old Mega Poll results format with all the numbers & percentages & whatnot. I want to see EVERYTHING laid out there, not just the top 10 or 5 Confused
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I've gotta totally disagree with the "review" of Nekopara. While it wasn't exceptional by any means it was quite entertaining for me to watch.
Lenks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:08 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
Hmm, Gibiate hadn't even been on my radar, but I do also love a really bad anime sometimes. Can anyone tell me if it's "so bad it's good" sort of mess? I feel like it's been a while since we've had one of those (the mid-2000s was pretty good for that genre, with Gundoh Musashi, Legend of Duo, AND Genma Wars). But adding bad CGI sounds like an added bonus to me.

It's a complete mess and I loved every second of it. The last episode is a total dumpster fire. It was made in the completely wrong decade and should have been a hyper violent 80s OVA. The OP and ED are fire, too.
Panophobia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
This best LBGTQ+ list is so forced. More than half of the characters are not even gay.

Eripiyo and Maina:
Eripiyo is just an obsessive crazy fan. That is it. She is just a rare female fan. Meanwhile Maina is just grateful to her.
There was an actual lesbian couple in the show btw. Maki and Yumeri. Just sayin.

Karyl and Pecorine:
This is really forced. Just because Pecorine said “I love you!”, this does not mean she has romantic feelings.

I understand that you want this kind of representation in anime, but just because you ship character do not force it to be something it isn't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9