• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Berserk Manga Creator Kentarou Miura Passes Away at 54

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:14 am Reply with quote
I’m not going to pretend I was a super hardcore fan of his work (I enjoyed it on a casual basis and played that PS4 Berserk game to catch up with it) but the man was only 54 and influenced so much in terms of dark fantasy, the huge sword trope, etc. His influence was grand and that is only matched by the people who he affected with his work.

RIP.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:19 am Reply with quote
Berserk was a series I always planned to start collecting, but would always put it off. I'd always say Miura is more likely to pass on before the series ended, jokingly and using it as a reason to not get the series. Hunter x Hunter is the other series I'd do the same thing with.

But it is something I never thought would actually happen. 54 is too young.

RIP.

Last edited by Ali07 on Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Jay_Stone

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:20 am Reply with quote
RIP
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:44 am Reply with quote
This was shocking and sad news to wake up to this morning. I've never read Berserk, but was well aware of its reputation. It seemed like one of those series that would go on forever. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
Berserk was the first time where I got to the end of the anime and decided I had to read the Manga because I couldn't leave it there. This is very sad to read
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf: Noticed the Guinea Saga parallel, too. Should've spoiler[ stabbed Griffith when they had the chance]. R.I.P.
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:59 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I was not prepared for this. Very first thing I saw this morning when I checked my texts so it really hit hard. I'm a latecomer to the series, only watched the 1997 series and movies several years ago, but it made a huge impression on me. RIP Miura.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hunter x Hunter is the other series I'd do the same thing with.

Unfortunately it's going to be a very likely scenario that Hunter x Hunter will not be finished by the time Togashi passes away. I'm pretty sure at this point he's content with only making more of it when he feels like it. The manga is still on hiatus right? It's been on hiatus for at least over a year now?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:33 am Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Hunter x Hunter is the other series I'd do the same thing with.

Unfortunately it's going to be a very likely scenario that Hunter x Hunter will not be finished by the time Togashi passes away. I'm pretty sure at this point he's content with only making more of it when he feels like it. The manga is still on hiatus right? It's been on hiatus for at least over a year now?

Couple of years. I'm sure he can only do so much given his back. I know he got surgery for it, but it didn't seem to help much.
Megax36

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
Couldn't help myself but to think about Hunter X Hunter when I read this, but I didn't want to hijack the thread meant for Miura.

When I think about it, these two manga franchises (Berserk & Hunter X Hunter) are a lot like the Song of Ice and Fire series (or Game of Thrones for TV only viewers) of the manga world. Both have great long stories and TV adaptions that have concluded, but authors that will likely never finish them. With this sad news, we just got confirmation that this will definitely be the case for Berserk. However, on the bright side, maybe now an animation studio will have a good reason to pick up the series and tell the story from the beginning up to where it got.
ebronstein

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
I still remember watching the 90's anime. I have yet to watch the new one. Miura San built a world, and defined a portion of fantasy manga. He and his world will be missed.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
I hope Hara comments on this. He did a dual interview with Miura five years ago. https://www.manga-audition.com/zenon201610-haraxmiura/
Ebron: No need. The 90s anime is the only good one.
Never_Know_Best

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:24 am Reply with quote
I discovered this series in the bleakest darkness. Like a sort of wakeful dying. No path seemed illuminated, even by faintest candlelight. I felt myself becoming an old, weak, resentful, rotten young man for reasons beyond counting. It was legitimately the lowest point of my life.

Then, I witnessed this man. A man who did not exist, but who nonetheless just about could have. He went through Hell, repeatedly. Betrayal, horrific abuse, soul-tearing loss, the absolute death of one’s ideals and the identity that is built around them; all of it. He was even quite literally marked for unspeakable pain, alienation and demise.

But he kept persevering. He struggled. Fought. Slaughtered. Stubbornly closed himself off to a world he considered beyond hope, too unsafe in a sense. Twice, as did I.

Then he met a single kind, persistent person in a bleeding sea of abject misery. He found more. He started to heal, to redeem. To foster the same process in others. He began to attempt the molding of an old toxic motivation into something more necessary and, yes, powerful. As before, he finally allowed himself to feel amongst human beings, walking with purpose and more measured ferocity.

Never again would he be the same, for better and worse.

Berserk is my modern myth. Its “perfection” or completion is irrelevant. Today the world has lost an absurdly ambitious draftsman, as well as a shamanic speaker of what is to the human experience all too true.

Do read Berserk, if you haven’t.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
Berserk's my favourite manga, I simply can't believe this. I remember years ago, Berserk was always one of those series that cropped up in conversation and I didn't believe the hype at the time. Then my older brother told me that I had to get into Berserk, I finally did and the rest was history and we've been following Berserk to this day.

I have no other words than to say RIP Miura and thank you for everything.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
berserk was a manga i read some 7-8 years ago and at the time i thought there were no more manga left in this world that could impress me, and boy was i wrong. the epic drawings, the refined way miura tells the story, and all those deep characters made me fall in love with berserk, a manga that it so far away from what i normally like. thank you miura sensei for gracing us with berserk. may you rest in peace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8