• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach: Thousand-Year Blood War Anime's Dub Casts Alain Mesa as Chad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
(To the above, this is Chad's 3rd VA from my understanding, not fourth, apologies if am mistaken)

I agree with most of your post, but I just want to specify that Kaiji Tang replaced Jamieson Price in the English dub for the live action movie, making this Sado's fourth English VA. They went out of their way to get Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh back as Ichigo and Orihime, respectively, but recast Sado and Rukia (and Michelle Ruff was apparently not happy that she didn't get invited).
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:19 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
I agree with most of your post, but I just want to specify that Kaiji Tang replaced Jamieson Price in the English dub for the live action movie, making this Sado's fourth English VA. They went out of their way to get Johnny Yong Bosch and Stephanie Sheh back as Ichigo and Orihime, respectively, but recast Sado and Rukia (and Michelle Ruff was apparently not happy that she didn't get invited).

From the sounds of it it seems like they wanted to cast mostly Asian-Americans for the live-action dub if Bosch and Sheh were the two to come back, and most of the rest of the cast were replaced with Asian-American actors aside from a few like Cassandra Morris and Derek Stephen Prince. Interesting they feel that way about dubbing live-action but not anime. I wonder what their criteria is in deciding when to do it. It does come off as a bad look to only focus on matching Chad's Mexican heritage here but feel non-Asian actors voicing fully Japanese characters is acceptable and not an issue worth addressing.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So, again, dubbing over all of these anime chock full of Japanese characters should only include people with Japanese ethnicity (an undertaking all on its own likely without enough of a work force), even though it’s actually only the performance that matters? That’s not unfair, it’s just highly impractical.

Not necessarily last I checked Johnny Young Bosch isn’t Japanese but he is of East Asian descent. Secondly The U.S. isn’t Japan we have have a good number of individuals of various cultures who could “potentially” roles that match their ethnicity rather than what usually happens.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 8:58 pm Reply with quote
flamemasterelan wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
(To the above, this is Chad's 3rd VA from my understanding, not fourth, apologies if am mistaken)

Oh, u'r counting live action then. Just so we're clear here, I do not consider live action stuff based on anime to be anime which is what I was referring to in that post becus to me, live action isn't anime and you can have so many dif actors "playing" and "voicing" the characters but live action can't do what anime does and the clash between the rl looks and the colors and designs of the anime to rl just doesn't work. Even if its just them dubbing over the actors I still don't consider live action to be anime, even if they have and share similar roles. So if we count live action Chad has 4 VA, if we don't though it should be 3 right?
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Tenbyakugon wrote:
So, again, dubbing over all of these anime chock full of Japanese characters should only include people with Japanese ethnicity (an undertaking all on its own likely without enough of a work force), even though it’s actually only the performance that matters? That’s not unfair, it’s just highly impractical.

Not necessarily last I checked Johnny Young Bosch isn’t Japanese but he is of East Asian descent. Secondly The U.S. isn’t Japan we have have a good number of individuals of various cultures who could “potentially” roles that match their ethnicity rather than what usually happens.

Let me know how the recruitment and overall product comes out in the end. Rolling Eyes
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:25 pm Reply with quote
White actors getting more chances to voice popular anime characters than Asian American anime voice actors is a real serious issue that needs to be discussed, and some Asian American voice actors have raised the issue, but the people using it as some kind of gotcha argument are not being serious about it.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Anime is a medium made by Japanese people and features mostly Japanese characters. Logically it would make sense to only involve those people in the casting if we're speaking of matching voice to character. So in the end very few White people would get dubbing roles, and almost no Black or Latino actors would get roles at all. That's just the nature of anime in general

But that's not what most people mean when they say representation. Assuming they're acting in good faith their end goal would most likely be an equal number of White, Black, Asian, and Latino voice actors voicing these Japanese characters at random. That obviously is not representative of what nationality most anime characters are, but for the people who only care about voice talent having representation that's what they should logically be aiming for in their activism.

So it depends what kind of representation you want here. Obviously White, Black, and Latino actors would hate the first option as it would favor Asian Americans. Meanwhile, Asian Americans would be shafted in the second option because a medium tailor made for them to shine in would force them to share the wealth with everyone else. It's always going to be unfair to someone in the end.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:54 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:

So it depends what kind of representation you want here. Obviously White, Black, and Latino actors would hate the first option as it would favor Asian Americans. Meanwhile, Asian Americans would be shafted in the second option because a medium tailor made for them to shine in would force them to share the wealth with everyone else. It's always going to be unfair to someone in the end.
This is a false dichotomy being set up because nobody is suggesting that BIPOC characters should only play the character of their race. What people are wanting are more opportunities for BIPOC actors in an industry in the US where the majority involved is still white. Opening more BIPOC roles for anime characters would not lead to less opportunities for Asian American actors because already white actors are overwhelmingly cast in anime roles at the expense of everyone else including Asian Americans.
kaoru99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:15 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This is a false dichotomy being set up because nobody is suggesting that BIPOC characters should only play the character of their race. What people are wanting are more opportunities for BIPOC actors in an industry in the US where the majority involved is still white. Opening more BIPOC roles for anime characters would not lead to less opportunities for Asian American actors because already white actors are overwhelmingly cast in anime roles at the expense of everyone else including Asian Americans.

Is there a reason you keep specifying white people? Because a role taken is a role taken regardless of skin color. That's still one less role for an Asian American actor. Zeno Robinson voicing a Japanese character is just as bad as Justin Briner voicing a Japanese character. If you're not willing to call both of them out then please do not act like you're an ally to Asian Americans. We don't need people disappearing the second the conversation turns towards going after non-whites for doing this because you don't want to be uncomfortable calling those people out. Just like when people are there calling out Hollywood whitewashing an anime adaption but the second we complain about other ethnicities doing it they skitter away and make excuses why it's okay for Daniella Pineda to play a Singaporian character. We see the people who do that and remember them. Do not lump people who care about Asian American representation in with your little anti-white crusade. We are not motivated by the same thing and our goals are not aligned.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:40 am Reply with quote
kaoru99 wrote:

Is there a reason you keep specifying white people?
Because it is people from privileged positions that are benefiting from the way the system is currently set up and right now the people of privilege are white actors.

Quote:
Zeno Robinson voicing a Japanese character is just as bad as Justin Briner voicing a Japanese character. If you're not willing to call both of them out then please do not act like you're an ally to Asian Americans.
if the end goal is about providing more opportunities to BIPOC actors as a whole, Zeno playing one or two major anime roles in the past six years he's been doing anime voice acting is nowhere the same as white actors dominating the dubbing industry since the 1980s.

Quote:
Do not lump people who care about Asian American representation in with your little anti-white crusade. We are not motivated by the same thing and our goals are not aligned.
This is not about being anti white but again providing more opportunities that will benefit all marginalized actors.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:18 am Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:

Let me know how the recruitment and overall product comes out in the end. Rolling Eyes

Considering how the only thing that tends to matter to anime fans is how well an adaptation adapts the material or how good the art design or animation is in anime.

Don’t be too surprised if the lede gets buried Razz
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest when I say,I don't believe this. I never had a problem with Jamieson Price playing Chad. He was pretty good in the role. If it was something like he had a contract dispute,was too busy to do the role,I could understand that. But,because Chad had darker skin than most of the other characters,he should have to give up the role to someone else of the same ethnicity.
I'm sorry,but I don't like that. Price was good in the role. He shouldn't have to leave it because he's not the same color as the character. I think that's wrong. I liked Price in the role. It's not fair that he can't continue for silly reasons like this.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:44 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I'll be honest when I say,I don't believe this. I never had a problem with Jamieson Price playing Chad. He was pretty good in the role. If it was something like he had a contract dispute,was too busy to do the role,I could understand that. But,because Chad had darker skin than most of the other characters,he should have to give up the role to someone else of the same ethnicity.
I'm sorry,but I don't like that. Price was good in the role. He shouldn't have to leave it because he's not the same color as the character. I think that's wrong. I liked Price in the role. It's not fair that he can't continue for silly reasons like this.

Thank you for coming in a week late to tell us you did not read the article or the preceding comments. Price was not forced out. He was not made to do anything. He chose to step down from the role and stated as much in his own words, and explained his reasoning. You can agree or disagree all you want, but framing this as him being forced to leave the role is disingenuous.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:44 am Reply with quote
Well,lossthief. Although Price left willingly,it comes across to people like me that it felt like political correctness might have played a role in this. As I said before,I never had a problem with Jamieson Price playing Chad. He did a good job with it. I have no idea why he shouldn't have kept going with it. Similarly,I never had an issue with Roscoe Lee Browne voicing the Kingpin in the 1990's "Spider-Man" animated TV series.
He gave the character a certain amount of creepy sophistication. Outwardly,he could come across as a great benefactor and philanthropist to New York. But secretly,he was one of the city's biggest crime lords who could get rid of you if you got in his way. The fact that he was a black man voicing a white character made no difference to me. The only thing that mattered was that he did a fine job playing one of Spider-Man's most formidable enemies. That's what I'm talking about here.

The skin color or ethnicity of the person playing the character in an anime dub or an American animated cartoon shouldn't matter. All that should really matter is the person's talent and ability to do the job. I think that's what's getting lost here. I think it's dumb and silly to obsess over things like that. I don't know why others feel the need to do that. But,that's how I've always felt about it. It's a shame others don't feel the same way.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Although Price left willingly,it comes across to people like me that it felt like political correctness might have played a role in this. As I said before,I never had a problem with Jamieson Price playing Chad. He did a good job with it. I have no idea why he shouldn't have kept going with it.

He said why he chose to step down. In the article. "It comes across" and "felt like" are not facts, but you're treating them as truths. You and the "people like you", who, let's be honest, are probably just other commentators in this thread that you're parroting, are wrong. Something happened that you don't like, so your gut instinct is to fabricate a "pc-woke" boogieman to try and find something/one to blame. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7