• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Review: Sailor Moon Crystal

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I agree; I think we should find out whether this is true or not...but those sketches are cool.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I have seen a couple of others mention that her contract is up in July, but I don't know if that was also second-hand info they received or what.

I am very curious about that. Supposing this is the end of the reboot, that makes sense. but if it isn't, I wonder if they'll renew her contract, or even get someone new on already? I like what she brought to the table, but I feel things just get darker from here on, so a character designer that can bring a bit more of the atmosphere (and maybe combine more of Naoko's styles over the years plus her newest) would be great.

Actually, I feel Infinity and Stars share more in terms of atmosphere, but Supers is so much more whimsical and about coming of age, it wouldn't make sense for it to be as lumped in with the others. (But it's unrealistic to expect Toei to keep shifting anything to bring in new artistic elements, lol.)
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I get so wordy, I am so sorry. x'D

Yeah, those sketches are nice! I actually really like Sako's art and felt it had the perfect amount and quality of the shoujo aesthetic to work, but also transition well into animation.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
Don't worry, I talk a lot too Very Happy

Unfortunately, I did find out these bad news...http://sailormooncrystalfailures.tumblr.com/post/124139547683/just-what-the-hell-is-with-this-piece-of-shit

(sorry about the explicit word in the link)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:38 am Reply with quote
It seems that Munehisa Sakai is just having a hard time accepting the fact that Sailor Moon Crystal is plagued with multiple animation flaws...
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I agree...but from what I've seen, it's like Toei isn't trying at all with the animation here... Mad
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Are they sure that's his real twitter? Even looking at it, I'm a little sketch (even if Osabu is following). but most likely, he's not allowed to discuss Crystal.

I think there's also the fact that he's just the director; it makes more sense to tweet the anime director. At the same time, that person sounds really rage-y and rude, so I can guess they were not sending him a polite message, lol. I would block someone like that too. x'D

Perhaps it's best to contact Osabu, but I'm pretty sure the Crystal team knows their anime is full of flaws and mistakes, lol. They won't have an epiphany from us telling them, and they're probably more concerned with what Japanese fans think before he international audience. (And since we know we'll be getting it dubbed soon, we should probably be contacting Viz about it, actually.)
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it could be a good idea to contact Osabu, wonder what he thinks of Crystal...

(And yeah, that guy did sound rude contacting the director).
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Haven't read the thread in awhile, but Diana's seiyuu Shokotan posted about being finished with recording about a month or two back, too...

A pity we didn't get any news on Crystal's status during the Usagi/Chibiusa birthday event...I've had my gripes with Crystal, yes (e.g. not accurate to the manga in certain aspects, while not adventurous enough in other ways) but I'd rather have more Moon than none.

Just a shame we'll never know the real deal of what went down at Toei during the 2 years of Crystal's development/hiatus.

Honestly, I'd love for Infinity arc Crystal to have Ogata et al reprise their roles, but I guess that'd be unlikely? Anime catgrin + sweatdrop (Manga Haruka with Ogata's voice, can you imagine?! Razz )

I hope we'll get some news from Toei in the coming months!
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
@ Sailor Sedna :
Osabu has always seem very invested the series, and has always worked hard on his end too. I imagine he's glad that Sailor Moon is finally getting something again, but the level of quality control probably bothers him. (But it isn't their first go around with Toei, so he knows what to expect.)

@ Sailor Star Dust :

That would have been the perfect time.
As a Crystal fan, I can readily admit that it has a number of problems (small and significant). But ultimately, yeah. I would always prefer more Sailor Moon rather than none.

Ogata voicing Uranus again would be a dream come true (for manga Haruka). I kind of wonder who they would get this time around. . .

I feel like if we don't see anything after the last episode, maybe around Christmas or New Years, something will be said. This is Trollei, and they do have a pattern~.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
@ Sailor Star Dust

I heard the reason it took so long was because Toei wanted to make Precure out of Sailor Moon and Naoko didn't want them to do that.

@manapear

I also hope Masako Katsuki comes back too, she was lovely as Michiru Anime smile
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
She was~. Her voice was so elegant and perfect.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Well, this is it. The last episode of Crystal is airing.

I will say though, though this post was older, comparing Crystal to the manga/anime, I have to agree with what Rogueywon said on how they thought it illustrated how the 90's anime was better than the manga, but that's just my thoughts.

I dunno what's gonna happen afterward, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
I don't care what happens next for me after all of this this series never happened I am simply going to pretend it never happened
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
I think it would hard to do that; I can't even see fans remembering this series in a good light at all. Crying or Very sad

At least there is the manga and the original anime, or you could do your own story.

I'm currently working on my own idea/reinterpretation of the Sailor Moon story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 53