• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OEL manga jumping the shark

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
Quit saying what, KyuuA4? The truth? Manga is the Japanese word for comics. What part of this simple statement do you kids not get?
Truth? I'm sorry if it is wrong. Laughing It was fine in the beginning when manga was "new" to the US. But, that age-old "definition" you cling to is dead.

I'd rather deal with the dead body of an age old real person than your silly little imaginary friend with stereotypical giant eyes any day. Your definition of manga is fluff. You can't even form a coherent definition of the word. Don't declare the king to be dead if he's perfectly fine and you just want to usurp power in a manga coup d'etat. These is nothing wrong with this baby here, quit throwing him out with the bathwater.

Funny. Americans used to have the bad stereotype that Japanese had small 'slant' eyes, among other bigoted views during the war and even after. Now you're helping to propagate one that the Japanese create comics with giant eyes and other such simple minded crap. Sorry, buddy, but I can't stand to see manga boiled down to BS marketable stereotypes.

Quote:
Somehow, "manga" and "quality" became associated. As a consumer, I don't even give comics a chance to get my money (yes, I have a right to make THAT decision. You can't tell me how to spend).

If the words "manga" and "quality" have become associated, it's a biased view and it's simply wrong. If you keep this up, you're biased view is useless in this conversation, pal. Hell. You admit your bias. You have no business continuing this conversation if you continue such outright close mindedness. It has all the futility of inviting the KKK to an Obama rally. Sure you have the right to say you won't look at an American comic. I also have the right to say that if you do that, if that's what someone does, then that person is a close minded moron and borderline racist who is against his own country.

Quote:
And yes. A comic like Garfield does suck -- yet some of it is improved by removing Garfield -- only to leave Jon Arbuckle alone talking to himself.

Jim Davis actually approved that Garfield free strip due to its simply bizzare new humor being brought to old strips. If you think that's an example of why Garfield sucks, you're wrong. Not that Garfield doesn't suck, you're just grasping at straws in your out right comics bashing. If you think Garfrield is all there is to the old format of the comic strip, you're wrong.

Plus just because one comic is bad, all of them are? What BS is that? That's lumping in a whole country's output with one bad comic. That's tantamount to saying just because one black guy stole your car stereo, that all black people steal car stereos. Dear goodness, man, listen to yourself and the prejudiced filth coming from your mouth.

Are you gonna say that a classic comic like Calvin and Hobbes sucks because it's not manga? Or something silly like Calvin and Hobbes is manga because it is good? Can you just admit already that good old American comics can be simply amazing, no Japanese required?

Are you actually saying that manga is simply better than comics, period? Are you that stupid and simple minded? Please tell me I'm misunderstanding you and this is not what you're saying.

Again, leave your bias and bigotry against American comics at the door, or your conversation here is useless.
Quote:
When it comes to the VERY BEST -- we look towards manga. If you disagree, all you have to do is claim that Tezuka sucks.

You're so full of crap in your black and white world where manga is good and comics are bad. Of course I'm not saying Tezuka sucks. I'm saying you can't lump all manga and all comics into two separate camps. They all belong to the same damn world. There's good and bad in both Japan and America.

Your pro-Japanese bigotry is astonishing. You say, if you're not with us, you're against all manga? Really, do you morons work for the Bush administration? You show the same level of intelligence and similar thought simple minded processes. If we don't say manga is better than comics, then Tezuka sucks? Wow. Keep on piling it higher and deeper.

Really. Your crass bashing of America and its comics is amazing. Please, do us all a favor and move to Japan. You clearly show no love for this country or its industry and creators. You're so brainwashed with the word manga, it's pathetic. Ding ding. Pavlov's bitches have been trained so well by their masters, you don't even realize there's no steak on the plate.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
here's French: Je pense que la nationalité n'a aucun rapport avec ce qui donne lieu à la bande dessinée. Même parmi les Japonais, les créateurs de bandes dessinées pour faire de leurs créations de tous les jours en tenant compte de leur propre individualité, avec aucun être la même. Ce qui est important n'est pas les différences entre les créateurs, mais leur amour pour la bande dessinée.

What is the point of this? Bande dessinée (BD) is the word the French use for comics. Outside of Europe, BD is used to refer to European comics. So in this context, the mangaka is talking about comics in general. If she said manga in the Japanese text, she was talking about comics in general.

Kyu, I bet you're such a Japanophile you prefer Sazae-san over Garfield.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:29 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, guess I'm out of an early retirement! Rolling Eyes

mdo7 wrote:
forget the media and genres. Look at the marketing schemes on OEL manga/global manga and look at the marketing schemes of other media that emulate others like Grand Theft Auto. You have to think parallel. I keep telling you guys this and you ignore that fact. Geez, you guys really hate OEL manga, you know what, do you guys read 1 OEL manga and thought "oh, it sucks and maybe other OEL manga sucks" just because 1 OEL manga was not good meaning that other OEL manga sucks. No, you just have to gice OEL manga a chance. OEL manga does go a little beyond what Japanese manga have done.
Let me get this straight, so your validation for "OEL manga" is not any visual evidence or rational arguments, but that it's a cheap marketing gimmick and that because others have done cheap marketing gimmicks it makes logical sense to transform a word meaning comics to a word meaning style, which you've yet to clearly define after 30 pages?

Where the HELL do you get off on telling me what I like and don't like? Where the HELL do you get off on putting words in my mouth? Where the HELL do you get off on calling me a racist and a terrorist? Where the HELL do you get off on questioning where I lived? Where the HELL do you get off on spewing crap like that? Where the HELL do you get off on insulting my intelligence by refusing read what I write?

Huh? Pay attention, you little snot. I'm getting tired of your finger-pointing and dictating what I like and don't like when you've got on freaking blinders.

Quote:
You're using that picture again!!! Look, manga is not about origin ok but it's about art and style. I stumbled upon several pro-OEL manga website. I think you FAILED!!! You don't give OEL manga a chance.
READ GODDAMMIT. I'm getting tired of you not reading English. DEFINE THIS STYLE.

Quote:
These manga are not what people would call American comics, but rather, manga drawn outside of Japan. As in the case of manhwa, the Chinese and Korean equivalent of manga, people of English-speaking countries have begun to coin another term for their work, often now referred to as “original English language manga” (OEL manga), or for all encompassing purposes “world manga.”
Several things to note here, as well as several assumptions made. This article implies a distinguishing difference between what is "manga" and what is "comics," i.e. stereotypes. The wording gives that away, "... not what people would call American comics." To them, it's that people are attempting to ape Japanese comics, so that they identify these imitations as having a vague connection to Japanese comics. See how that works? Generalize Japanese comics and generalize American comics so the two can be differentiated, i.e. stereotypes, and laud the world for attempting to copy Japanese comics, or at least mark out the obvious attempts at specifically aping Japanese comics. That's what "OEL manga" relegates both OEL works and manga to, stereotypes.

That's not what your work to be known as.

Natsuki Takaya wrote:
I think that nationality has no relation to that which gives rise to manga. Even among the Japanese, manga creators are making their creations everyday reflecting their own individuality, with none being the same. What is important isn’t the differences between the creators but their love for manga.
This is a Japanese person using manga in the way it was intended in Japan, comics. If we fully translate that, she's talking about comics in general. Of course it doesn't make sense to say someone from country X can't make comics. That's ridiculous. She also says that manga is an individualistic creation, not a "style" or a generalization, leading to the fact that manga can be whatever it wants.

Quote:
It's emulation. There's nothing wrong with emulation, there are good and bad ones. OEL manga is a good emulation.
Emulation in and of itself is a creative dead end. Done right it can produce quality works, yes, but nonetheless, one wants to move beyond emulation.

There is a difference between just producing mechanical derivations and using those same mechanics to produce original works. They don't have to look different, or use different structure. They can visually look very much like "manga" and still be original, or at least a quality work. That's what "OEL manga" needs to become, not just copies.

Quote:
“Steady Beat is uniquely Texan. It has Texas culture, Texas architecture, a Texas school system, Texas people, and also Texan biases,” Rivkah said. “If the plot of my story, a girl who realizes her sister’s gay, were to occur in Japan, it’d be a completely different story.”
So, why is it that you claim to relegate this difference in comics to a stereotype of Japanese comics? You call it "OEL manga" because it "looks like Japanese comics," then go ahead and claim the virtues of the unique American nature of this title? See how superficial the style is then?

Quote:
OK, we'll probably see something new in OEL manga that no Japanese manga has ever reach. I don't know what, but it'll destroy your view. Like what probably, maybe USA doing a OEL sport manga on Skiing, probably.
All you're proving is that manga is not a genre, which is what we've been saying all along. In fact, you say you want something new in "OEL manga," yet pigeonhole it to a stereotype copy of Japanese comics.

Quote:
I can’t find it right now, but I read the explanation by the guy who came up with the term OEL. He wasn’t a marketer, just a guy who likes manga and american comics who needed a word for “comics done by english speakers in a manga style.” OEL was shorter. He also said that it isn’t a very good label, because the “english language” part doesn’t work for all those people telling stories in French, Spanish, or German who use a manga style.

OEL is a pretty useful label for people living in the US. “Comics” in the united states usually means superhero stories sold as floppies. “Graphic Novels” usually means very serious artsy trade paperbacks, usually ironic, depressing, or satirical ones.

I’ve seen “OEL” used alot, and I think it is pretty useful. I think it describes what a lot of people want to do: tell stories that use the essential techniques of manga. Just like with fanfiction, a lot of people start out just with imitation, but most are trying to really understand what makes it work, and are trying to tell interesting stories using those tools.
Oh hey, she just pointed out exactly what we don't like about the term "OEL manga," that it's a stereotype.

Quote:
I sure wouldn’t want to work on contract with Tokyopop, based on the stories I’ve heard! From that interview: “We co-own it together” = “you are hosed.”
Hey look, she's disparaging your beloved TokyoPop.

Quote:
Not that there’s anything wrong with that - but there’s many more stories to tell. Thanks to OEL and webcomics, there’s space to tell them in. People are excited about manga because they can find so many different kinds of stories that mean something to them. Right now its a bit of a mess - we don’t even have genre labels for some of the stuff that’s being produced, so we’ve had to import those too.
So they're lauding the open creativity of manga and the variety of stories and genres it brings to the table, yet are fine with using a stereotype of Japanese comics? No, that's not right.

Quote:
But like its already been mentioned...Yes, in Japan they have baseball. It has its own flavor, but its still BASEBALL. Just like manga. American manga may differ greatly from Japanese manga, but its still, in essence, MANGA. It follows a certain style, the illustration style and whatnot are similar. I'll quote Lida Zeff from Dramacon: "So, if a non-Japanese person draws it, its not manga? Applying this logic to something else we all know and love...a pizza is not a pizza unless it's baked by an Italian in Italy. Yes?" And, in my opinion, people who get THAT pissed off about American manga (especially when they ARE American) are overly obsessed...and losers at life. Like its already been said, art (and manga) is supposed to be free and unrestricted.
Already been answered. What hasn't been answered is Moomintroll's post. Oh and, if art's supposed to be free and unrestricted, why is that they're fine with pigeonholing the entire output of Japanese comics to a stereotype of a generalized style? Define me this STYLE. Pretty damn hypocritical if you ask me. I've said again and again that manga isn't a magical club of exclusive quality or about how Japanese comics are pure and superior. Seems like they're the ones making that assumption, nay, using a strawman argument based off that assumption.

Quote:
I believe manga is a style! That means anyone (with talent) in the universe who sticks to the basic variations of manga are participating in the movement. Japanese manga, is of course manga from Japan. So what would American manga be? Just comics? Of course not! The majority of American comics I have seen have all fallen out of the basic manga variations. We can call it "Japanese manga" because it originated in Japan, however, manga these days does not only originate in Japan but is a popular art style all around the globe!
Can she back that up? We've shown visually that manga has no restriction on what manner of style it uses, so if the variations of manga are infinite in possibility, then the resulting emulations should logically be as free and varied. But then that means "manga" as a term loses all value because it encompasses all kinds of comics, and we already have a word for that. Comics. All she's doing is stereotyping an entire country's visual medium.

Quote:
That's right it's about art and style.
PROVE IT. DEFINE IT.

Quote:
If it's in the manga aisle at a bookstore, then it's manga. If it looks like manga (big eyes, no nose) it's manga. But, that's MY definition. Everyone's got a different view on things! If you don't wanna call something that's drawn by someone who's not japanese manga, then don't: just don't make a huge fuss about what someone else thiks! Everyone is entitled to their OWN OPINION.
Oh, so if that fake Gucci bag looks like a Gucci bag, then it's a real Gucci bag? If that "authentic Italian suit" was made in a sweatshop in Brazil, it's still an "authentic Italian suit?" If that iPod clone looks like an iPod, it must be an iPod? If that car looks like a Saturn, it must be a Saturn? If that Asian guy looks Chinese, he must be Chinese? All Arabs look the same? All Jews are good with money?

STEREOTYPE = BAD.

You can have an opinion, just know that you'll have to be able to back it up, and that some opinions are wrong.

"The sky is a tiny calculator plotting a rebellion for Canada."

Quote:
You guys have been battling this debate, no, wait, flame war like you want to show the world that you're right. Well you're not, everybody has a opinion. There's no such thing as a wrong opinion. For the sake of OEL manga/Global manga reader, if you don't like the name OEL manga, just call it something else. Not everybody like the name OEL manga/Global manga. Just don't make it a big deal. I told you that many time but no, you want to show that you're right. Do you three get more powerful and sexually aroused when you want to pawn somebody proving you're right? If you are, then you have a psychological problem. Why do you want to show me, KyuuA4, and Da Gamers Elite that OEL manga is a stupid marketing, and it's a dumb emulation. Chinese Manhua and Korean Manhwa emulate manga in many way also. Blame them also. Tokyopop probably saw that manga can be emulated and decided to join in. I don't see you guys blaming England and Germany for their emulation of manga. You should be boycotting Marvel Comic because they are joining in the manga fad. Actually, I think you should be not reading any Teen Titans comic because they went manga-style after the show emulate anime.
The ones stoking the flames the most have been you, you brick wall, calling people racist because they don't agree with you. We're not showing the world that we're right, we here showing that your opinion needs more than "it art an style!!11!oneone!!11!" There is most definitely such a thing as a wrong opinion. "Richard Nixon was made of corn and green beans." There we go. In fact, in the early 20th century, the thought that eugenics was a good thing was prevalent in America. North Carolina even had an active eugenics policy until the mid-80's. A wrong opinion that cost people lives and pain and suffering.

I do call it something else. Comics. And just like how you keep spouting you have the freedom of speech, we have the freedom of speech to say you're wrong and show you why. You're the one who admitted that "OEL manga" was a "dumb marketing." All we said about emulation, the very act itself, eventually hits a dead end. You've been making assumptions and putting words in our mouths about how we hate America and are working with terrorists and hate this and that because we call Japanese comics, Japanese comics.

Again and again--I'm starting to wonder if you even understand English--Korean manhwa is more than emulations of manga. It's an entire country's comics output, and there's way more than emulations of manga. In fact, an example I keep mentioning, "Shin Angyo Onshi," is a great example of an "adaptation" brought to life. It looks and feels like a manga but isn't a mindless, superficial visual clone. Oh, and glad to see you stereotyping another country's entire visual medium as copies. They don't call their works "Original Korean Language Manga," they use their own words for comics, manhwa. We've been through this.

This is an American site, so we discuss matters relevant to us. Not Germany or Britain. They don't call their works "Original German Language Manga," this convention is an American one. Your red herrings are annoying. We single out TokyoPop because they've been the ones who pushed this marketing, and the one who ditched it and failed their creators.

And one last thing:

READ WHAT WE ACTUALLY WRITE.

P.S. - Stop using Google translator.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
The BEST manga surpasses the standard of the BEST "comic". Therefore, when it comes to setting the threshold for the BEST work, manga beats out comic.

How can you state this preposterous "fact" when you've barely read any Japanese or American comics? You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Quote:
If you want, feel free to find a comic that surpasses any manga according to any category: both visually and story (yes, I'll consider story here).

Given that nobody anywhere has read every American comic or every Japanese comic, that's an equally stupid thing to say.

Quote:
Somehow, "manga" and "quality" became associated. As a consumer, I don't even give comics a chance to get my money (yes, I have a right to make THAT decision. You can't tell me how to spend).

"Associated" in your mind, maybe. All this tells us is that you're working off the basis of unfounded and narrow-minded ideas. The fact that you have false perceptions and a blinkered outlook needn't apply to anybody with a bit more sense.

Quote:
When it comes to the VERY BEST -- we look towards manga. If you disagree, all you have to do is claim that Tezuka sucks.

I don't have to think Tezuka "sucks" to think that Moore or Los Bros Hernandez or Eisner are also great. It's like saying that in order to believe that non-French cheese is as good as French cheese (and essentially the same thing), you must be prepared to say that emmental cheese is terrible.
Again, it's a patently ludicrous argument - and further evidence that you aren't debating in good faith.

---

Having got that out of my system, I agree with SharinganEye.

None of us is gaining anything from going around and around in circles knocking down the same flawed arguments from our friendly neighbourhood troll (and his sidekick, America's Greatest Mind) over and over again, ad infinitum.
Presuming that I can restrain myself from making the occasional sarcastic rejoinder, I'm out of here until such a time as KyuuA4 makes good on his promise to provide his criteria for what constitutes "manga".
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

Chi's Sweet Home is actually kinda nice. Razz Razz Razz And who the heck is Sazae-san? However. An nice anime girl dressed in a Neko outfit. That's HOT.

Hmm. Me a Japanophile? You own more manga than I do. Razz

Nevertheless, I have yet to develop a fetish for Japanese women. I prefer white chicks. Twisted Evil Laughing Nevertheless, I'm actually open to the Japanese. Not the Chinese though -- after seeing the Olympics -- especially their gymnastics team. Ugh. WTF did they do to their faces?! Laughing

Though, I wouldn't mind going to Japan to do Mission work.

Moomintroll wrote:
How can you state this preposterous "fact" when you've barely read any Japanese or American comics? You simply don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Simple. I'm not affected by the anal-retentiveness of BOTH groups. Hence, I sit here smack dab in the middle between the two.

SharinganEye wrote:
Generalize Japanese comics and generalize American comics so the two can be differentiated

And so - I don't see the point of differentiation. We'd save a lot of headache if (when) the two types can be merged. Unfortunately, y'have the "hard core" fans on both ends.

SharinganEye wrote:
Oh boy, guess I'm out of an early retirement!

Yea. I try to get away... and make due on what I need to do. But I keep getting reeled back in. Laughing

SharinganEye wrote:
READ GODDAMMIT. I'm getting tired of you not reading English. DEFINE THIS STYLE.

Patience! Laughing At this point, I have nothing more than a set of questions -- sketch outline -- and -- a small assortment of random images categorized as "comic" and "manga". For kicks, I'm going to make Moonmintroll wait. Twisted Evil

SharinganEye wrote:
this convention is an American one.

Another big reason why "Manga as Japan-only" is wrong. It's an American convention. The main difference -- it is an American accepted convention -- whereas -- OEL is rejected.

NOTE: I reject OEL on the basis that it is single language.

Moomintroll wrote:
Quote:
If you want, feel free to find a comic that surpasses any manga according to any category: both visually and story (yes, I'll consider story here).

Given that nobody anywhere has read every American comic or every Japanese comic, that's an equally stupid thing to say.

The only thing I ask here is to compare the "best" with the "best". If anything, "reputable" vs "reputable".
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
Tamaria wrote:

Chi's Sweet Home is actually kinda nice. Razz Razz Razz And who the heck is Sazae-san? However. An nice anime girl dressed in a Neko outfit. That's HOT.

Just... look it up or something. If you don't know Sazae-san, you still have a lot of research to do.

Quote:

I own a lot of manga because I like comics and a lot of comics I like happen to be from Japan.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:

I own a lot of manga because I like comics and a lot of comics I like happen to be from Japan.

**excuse** (cough)

Yet, likewise, I share that sentiment. So, quit dropping down to Xeno's level by calling names. Even me, for the past 10 years, I've looked at far far more manga than comics.

The most unfortunate aspect of the English language is the tendency for differentiation whenever convenient -- with complete disregard for inclusion. It's sad. Pathetic. And that's why this argument exists.

Now. In another forum, I managed to read this:

Quote:
Quote:
So creativity and cliche's can't be the main distractor from OEL's otherwise Manga itself would be going down the same slope.
Unfortunately, they are. You're correct of course, I personally encountered many manga which are cliched and quickly dropped them. Many other mediums have the same problem. What distinguishes OEL and normal manga is that the former has no masterpieces whatsoever. Some may be able to point out a few decent ones, but that's just about it.

So a manga fan can at least pursue their hobby knowing that with such a large pool of materials, a large pool of talents that are creating these materials, and a well-established tradition that ensure the flow of these talents, there'll be something good for them to read at least, say, once a year.

Big name pieces in manga come out all the time, and we of course hear and read about them; I haven't heard about such pieces coming out of OEL yet.

Someone who went into OEL wanting to sample the medium would just find only drudges. This might change soon -- this might've already changed -- but too bad for now, bad PR is hard to remove.

The problem with it I've said above: it's a young medium and it's an entirely derivative medium, with a much larger and more established alternative in both normal Japanese manga and normal Western comics respectively; not a very good condition to be producing masterpieces really.

Your problem will be two-folded: producing a good piece on your own and crossing the hurdle that is the (so far justified) prejudice in the general public that will definitely make your creation less respected and received than it deserves.

If you can stand that pressure, go for it. Maybe ten years from now we'll look back and your name will be on the top of the list of OEL pioneers who made the medium respectable and established.

I - in fact - cannot say any better than that. The saddest truth is the part I put in bold. What we have here is "OEL" competing simultaneously with the Japanese and Western forms of comic. Nevertheless, when an OEL is looked at, it is not compared to X-Men. Nay, it is being compared to a Japanese comic. In that sense, "OEL" is comparable to manga.

Yet, when I say, manga is manga from whatever part of the world it comes from. I follow the same sentiment as the very last paragraph. Someday. Perhaps, this "OEL" medium may be the saving grace between Japanese and American comics -- where the differentiation between the two may no longer exist.

As long as that differentiation does exist, then this argument will continue.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
New medium? The medium is comics and is has been around for over a century.

The people who create what you call "OEL manga" are just people who have been influenced more by foreign comics than the generation of comic artists that came before them. The group isn't even big enough to count as a whole generation. Most of them are newbies in the industry, most of them will not make it as comic artists. Most of them are still in the emulation phase, they're not making anything revolutionary. That post gives these young creators way too much credit. Don't put them on a pedestal before they actually accomplisch something.

OEL is competing with the Japanese and the American comic industry? They themselves (or rather, their publishers) put them in there. They were too eager to label them in order to be able to ride the manga-wave.

These comics are not the way to break down the wall readers seem to feel. If we want to get rid of that wall, we need to stop attachting all sorts of sentiments to the words "manga" and "comic". You're part of the problem if you think Japanese comics are superiour to other comics.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Alrighty. I don't think I need to tell you guys that this thread is generating a lot of reports. We've seen insults and aggressive comments quite a bit so far, and at this point it just seems to be people arguing that others opinions are wrong and dancing around a magical circle that is never ever ever ever going to end. So I'm going to be honest and just say we're on thin ice here, and we're prepared to end the thread by locking it if it gets any further out of hand.

There is some civil discussion here, which is the only reason the thread is still alive. Insults and disrespect towards others opinions really needs to stop. Not to mention that if people just want to argue over the rights and wrongs of peoples opinions that are based on definitions that are 100% subjective, then this is never going to stop and we're just going to have a lot of angry, frustrated users. There comes a point that you just need to agree to disagree, especially when it comes down to definitions and subject matter like this, that are pretty much completely up to each individuals interpretation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Alrighty. I don't think I need to tell you guys that this thread is generating a lot of reports. We've seen insults and aggressive comments quite a bit so far, and at this point it just seems to be people arguing that others opinions are wrong and dancing around a magical circle that is never ever ever ever going to end. So I'm going to be honest and just say we're on thin ice here, and we're prepared to end the thread by locking it if it gets any further out of hand.

There is some civil discussion here, which is the only reason the thread is still alive. Insults and disrespect towards others opinions really needs to stop. Not to mention that if people just want to argue over the rights and wrongs of peoples opinions that are based on definitions that are 100% subjective, then this is never going to stop and we're just going to have a lot of angry, frustrated users. There comes a point that you just need to agree to disagree, especially when it comes down to definitions and subject matter like this, that are pretty much completely up to each individuals interpretation.

You're right, there are some agreements and disagreements. But it got out of control because some people don't accept the true fact. There's no such thing as wrong opinion (Yes SharinganEyes, does that mean if somebody said republican is better, does that mean you can beat him up because he's making a opinion that you think is wrong and democrats are right). Keoyn, I recommend we close this topic, it's not getting us anywhere. Keoyn, I also want to request that all flame war be eliminated in this anime/manga community. I find all flame war stupid and pointless. Xenos,so what if you don't like the term "OEL manga", don't take it out to the world and prove that you're right. Not all people agree with one another unless it's a real fact not a debatable topic.

Xenos, you're a comic book fan at heart right. I grew up with DC and Marvel just like you. I love superheroes as much as you do, and I love manga and manga-style art. But this is my last weapon on you. Do you know when Marvel Comic was formed? 1939 (it was then called Timely comic), DC was made in 1934 (as National Allied Publications) . Why did Marvel formed after DC was made? It was because of Superman and Batman that made superhero popular and Marvel decided to cash in on the sucess, Marvel created some superheroes that was somewhat original but emulating the superheroes that DC did. Applying your logics about OEL manga is dirty cheap marketing on manga, are you saying that Marvel sucks because they are using the same marketing schemes for superheroes comic and DC should do the superheroes not Marvel? Saying OEL manga is a cheap marketing on Japanese manga is just like saying that Marvel is doing cheap marketing by creating superheroes that emulate DC Comic superheroes. DC Comic also emulate some Marvel superheroes

For example:

-Static Shock, didn't some of the villains and heroes seem to be a lot like Marvel's X-men, and Fantastic Four and other villains. Doesn't the teen getting superpower remind you of X-men. (example: like Hot Streak reminds me a lot like X-men's Pyro and Fantastic Four's Johnny Storm. A villain in Static Shock named Hyde is too similar to Rhino. I believe Ragtag, another villain in Static Shock copied off X-men'sRogue. I also believe that a villain turned hero named Rubber-band man emulate Mr. Fantastic)
-Marvel's Hawkeye reminds me too much of DC's Green Arrow.
-Marvel's Deadpool share too much similarity with DC's Deadstroke (aka Slade in Teen Titans series, A little note, Deadstroke was created before Deadpool)
-Marvel's Kingpin looks like a blatant copy off of DC's Lex Luthor.
-Arcade from Marvel reminds me too much of DC's Toyman but Arcade use arcade game where Toyman use toys.
-Marvel's Dr. Strange is probably Marvel's clone to DC's Dr. Fate (Dr fate came out first then Dr Strange)

Even if Marvel did emulate and probably copied-off superheroes. Marvel still had a sucessful marketing, why because of the marketing schemes. Compare that to the OEL manga marketing, as I said if you say OEL manga is just cheap marketing schemes to cash in on Japanese manga. You're saying that Marvel Comic, Dark Horse and other comic book company emulate superheroes and it's cheap marketing schemes. If you're bashing Tokyopop, then you're bashing Marvel because they're emulating things and use cheap marketing to cash in on that fad.

Marvel did a lot of good job from not only doing superheroes, but doing other genres like romance (Marvel comic had a lot of influences in Japan), Fantasy, Horror, Western, and other. Sometime I think Marvel should have come up with the Harem, Ecchi, Sports, Shonen-Ai/Yaoi, Shojo-Ai/Yuri genre, it could have makes American Comic book more intresting, they could have come up with Fruit Baskets and Cowboy Bebop if Comic code authority hadn't violate the 1st amendment . Anyway,
Xenos (that includes you SharinganEyes and Moomintroll), don't try that "you're confusing genre with medium" crap on me. I want you to forget Medium and genre. I want you to look at what Marvel did, and compare to what OEL manga is doing. If Marvel can manage to be sucessful by emulation and this so-called "Cheap marketing". What do you think OEL manga is doing??

Speaking of Marvel, have you been reading about this:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-24/madhouse-to-create-4-anime-with-marvel-comic-heroes

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-25/iron-man-wolverine-in-marvel-madhouse-1st-tv-anime

First it was the upcoming Marvel OEL manga. Then DC team up with anime studio to do Batman: Gotham Knights. Now look what's happening to Marvel superheroes, they're becoming anime. What do you call that Cheap marketing because anime is becoming a fad now. What's next:

-Superman anime with character design by Akira Toriyama.
-Frank Miller and Shinichiro Wantanabe team up and do a Sin City anime (I've encountered a lot of people who would love to see a Sin City anime/manga)
-Yoshiyuki Tomino doing The Punisher anime with dark and gritty images.

SharinganEyes wrote:
Oh, so if that fake Gucci bag looks like a Gucci bag, then it's a real Gucci bag? If that "authentic Italian suit" was made in a sweatshop in Brazil, it's still an "authentic Italian suit?" If that iPod clone looks like an iPod, it must be an iPod? If that car looks like a Saturn, it must be a Saturn? If that Asian guy looks Chinese, he must be Chinese? All Arabs look the same? All Jews are good with money?

STEREOTYPE = BAD.

You can have an opinion, just know that you'll have to be able to back it up, and that some opinions are wrong.

Yes all Stereotype=Bad. So the only stereotype you accept is the manga should be made in Japan and nowhere else.

Xenos wrote:
Torture? By OEL manga? Fun. See I knew he worked for the Bush administration.

And again, I don't mind a number of OEL manga. I think it sells itself short if it calls itself that instead of just plain old graphic novels. Not even comic books because most of the stuff is in full volume format and graphic novel is simply the better word. We should be selling people on that, not some Japanese word.

A little off topic, but Bush was not a great president (he turn down a medical insurance act that could help children). About torturing stuff, I would use anime to toture anime hater and racist people if I wanted information out of them. I oughta recommend this mind torture to FBI if they want to torture KKK members by using anime as a tool.

Quote:
Fine. Then you should give up your OEL manga BS. Please do.

I'll still buy a OEL manga even if the creator don't call it manga. I'll even buy that upcoming X-men, WOlverine OEL manga to support OEL manga market and my love of Marvel comic.

SharinganEyes wrote:
This is an American site, so we discuss matters relevant to us. Not Germany or Britain. They don't call their works "Original German Language Manga," this convention is an American one. Your red herrings are annoying. We single out TokyoPop because they've been the ones who pushed this marketing, and the one who ditched it and failed their creators.

Oh really, so why does ANN have a Australian section? On the news section of ANN, I guess you never seen ANN talking about anime-related stuff in another country like for example:

[url]animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2006-06-04/australia-and-new-zealand-join-tokyopop's-global-manga-revolution[/url]

So that's talking about USA only.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-03/brazilian-team-wins-2008-world-cosplay-summit

So that's talking about America, it looks like it talking about Brazil. OMG, this is American web site that should be talking about American stuff and things related to anime/manga is becoming international. So now ANN is becoming like CNN for anime/manga.

Keoyn, Close this topic if no one is convinced of me, KyuuA4, or Da Gamers Elite. We can't come to a agreement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

I understand a lock is inevitable, but could you want until Kyuu has posted his analysis of manga?

@ mdo7, superhero comics are a genre. It idea behind it is pretty clear, it's a story about super heroes who fight against super villains. Some stories are more realistic than others, some go beyond the good vs evil thing, some don't, but as a genre they are easily defined. (And I'll say this again, American comics are more than just superhero comics, especially when you go back to the time before the CCA castrated the industry.)

Manga was, until Tokyopop and some other people hijacked the word, essentially the entire Japanese comic industry. You can't really emulate something that can be divided in so many genres and artstyles. The people who draw what you call OEL manga were often influenced a handful of comic creators, not the whole Japanese comic industry.

Emulation is not a bad thing, in the beginning atleast, but these new creators still need to grow as artists. I think you'll restrict them if you stick the manga label on them.

Something I've noticed is that many people now start out with reading almost nothing but manga, but that they are exposed to the comic industry as a whole when they start creating comics of their own. They'll be influenced and inspired by European and American artists who don't draw in a stereotyped mangastyle. But if we've already put them in the manga-box, they'll have a hard time to get out of it, because people expect them to draw in "manga style".
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
These comics are not the way to break down the wall readers seem to feel. If we want to get rid of that wall, we need to stop attachting all sorts of sentiments to the words "manga" and "comic".

Even MDO had to convince me to tone that down. Laughing

Tamaria wrote:
You're part of the problem if you think Japanese comics are superiour to other comics.

Do me a favor and count the number of anime/manga conventions globally compared to comic conventions.

That's due to the power of language. If manga happens to be inferior to comics elsewhere, I doubt we'd even allow a separate word to describe it. Heck, manga itself probably would not have expanded beyond Japan. Nobody likes a loser after all. This "manga wave" (mentioned in the next part) would not have been possible if manga happened to be mediocre.

No need to remind me. Plenty of manga happen to be outright crappy; it's just that we're shielded from it because few would bring that material over.

In terms of numbers of great manga vs great comics -- great manga outnumbers great comics. Yes, in this equation, "quality" is equal. Therefore, quantity factors next.

We can probably compare the likes of Superman to any Shounen manga; and these aren't even that great.

Tamaria wrote:
OEL is competing with the Japanese and the American comic industry? They themselves (or rather, their publishers) put them in there. They were too eager to label them in order to be able to ride the manga-wave.

I'll say it before; and I'll say it again. It's the trend of marketing to do these things. If you haven't tried a sales job - you should do so. Marketers will do anything - even sell their own parents (maybe) - to sell a product. So, whatever sentiment regarding manga and comics mean so little to them.

It just happens that manga IS a huge wave. Like a surfer, it is a good idea to ride it. Miss a wave, who knows where's the next one - or - will it be bigger? I dunno.

Then, finally. The other part about "OEL manga" being "manga" as opposed to "comic". We - you and me - tend to compare "OEL manga" with "manga". As far as the OEL is concerned, manga is used as a litmus test as far as quality is concerned.

When someone says, "OEL manga sucks" or "OEL manga lacks quality"... what's it being compared to? X-Men, or Fruits Basket?

In short, "OEL manga" (even if you call it something else) is comparable to Japanese manga -- more so than American comics. Therefore, it is manga. Yet, the "OEL" part had to come in because few would accept the idea of manga produced outside Japan.

mdo wrote:
First it was the upcoming Marvel OEL manga. Then DC team up with anime studio to do Batman: Gotham Knights. Now look what's happening to Marvel superheroes, they're becoming anime. What do you call that Cheap marketing because anime is becoming a fad now.

This points out the trend made in various editorials years ago:

Manga's "influence" is that predominant. "Influence" behaves like a pendulum, and it's swinging our way now. If it is enough to alter the American comic industry, then it is enough to claim that manga is "superior". I doubt any company would change their ways -- for fun. It's a market effect.

Tamaria wrote:
But if we've already put them in the manga-box, they'll have a hard time to get out of it, because people expect them to draw in "manga style".

It's a reasonable expectation because it is what readers demand.

Yet, instead of trying to mimic Japanese story telling, I'd like some good wholesome American (or European) stories ported into the manga visual format. That would be a nice change of pace from the multitude of Japanese based stories in manga format.

Keonyn wrote:

Yea, cheap shot for me to put some last words prior. But hey, the rest of y'all, go ahead. Cool In the meantime, I have a little "project" by which I'll be wasting my time on. Twisted Evil Laughing

On that note - I motion that we have this thread locked Right Now. Anyone second?

Last edited by KyuuA4 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

On that note - I motion that we have this thread locked Right Now. Anyone second?

Hold on, there, I'd really like to see that definition of manga you promised us all first. At any rate, I think the rest of us are done until you step up and tell us all what manga is, so just spit it out already. We have very neatly layed out our terms, and you could at least show us the same courtesy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
KyuuA4 wrote:

Hold on, there, I'd really like to see that definition of manga you promised us all first. At any rate, I think the rest of us are done until you step up and tell us all what manga is, so just spit it out already. We have very neatly layed out our terms, and you could at least show us the same courtesy.

Besides, we could use a new thread. Someday. Twisted Evil Wink

Well, if there's one thing certain -- I haven't backed down from my stance for a year or two now. So, I'm not chickening out. If that's what you think. Yet, times like this makes me wish I can write a book. Twisted Evil
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:24 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:

Do me a favor and count the number of anime/manga conventions globally compared to comic conventions.

As in popularity equals superiority? That's very superficial. Besides, I think the comic conventions will win. Both America and Europe have very few manga conventions, most conventions are anime conventions with some manga and games for added flavour.

The comic conventions I've seen cover comics from all over the world, but always put an emphasis on comics made in the country the convention is held in. Aside from one manga convention in the US (and perhaps yaoi con...) I can't think of any manga conventions outside of Japan. In Japan there are many events, but that is mostly because their comic industry is gigantic. I've never been to a Japanese comic convention, so I don't know how and if European and American comics are presented there.

Have you been to Japanese comic conventions? If so, please share your experiences.

Quote:
That's due to the power of language. If manga happens to be inferior to comics elsewhere, I doubt we'd even allow a separate word to describe it. Heck, manga itself probably would not have expanded beyond Japan. Nobody likes a loser after all. This "manga wave" (mentioned in the next part) would not have been possible if manga happened to be mediocre.

No need to remind me. Plenty of manga happen to be outright crappy; it's just that we're shielded from it because few would bring that material over.

In terms of numbers of great manga vs great comics -- great manga outnumbers great comics. Yes, in this equation, "quality" is equal. Therefore, quantity factors next.

We can probably compare the likes of Superman to any Shounen manga; and these aren't even that great.

Manga is not inferior or superiour, it's just different. The Japanese comic industry gave life to some comics European and American creators never thought of, but the same can be said about the European and American comic industries. Publisher simply imported some new flavours, but which is better, chocolate or strawberry, is up to individual preferences.

And how do you know great manga outnumber great comics? Did you actually count them? How did you grade them?

Quote:

I'll say it before; and I'll say it again. It's the trend of marketing to do these things. If you haven't tried a sales job - you should do so. Marketers will do anything - even sell their own parents (maybe) - to sell a product. So, whatever sentiment regarding manga and comics mean so little to them.

Tokyopop picked up a lot of creators that weren't ripe for picking yet. They used an agressive marketing campaign to market their often subpar material, failed and dropped most artists like bricks. Yeah, really amazing marketing there.

Quote:
It just happens that manga IS a huge wave. Like a surfer, it is a good idea to ride it. Miss a wave, who knows where's the next one - or - will it be bigger? I dunno.

Riding a huge wave when you're a bad surfer is a bad idea. In case you haven't noticed, I'll point it out again. Tokyopop is doing really bad right now. Not only have they dropped pratically all "OEL manga creators" (well, exept for DJ Milky, because it can be awfully difficult to get rid of your own boss) together with the buzzword, they're even canceling Japanese series left and right.

Quote:
Then, finally. The other part about "OEL manga" being "manga" as opposed to "comic". We - you and me - tend to compare "OEL manga" with "manga". As far as the OEL is concerned, manga is used as a litmus test as far as quality is concerned.

You don't get it. When we compare manga-influenced-comics to manga, it's because th creators were heavily influenced by Japanese comic artists. We compare things because they look similar, but the mistake many people make is assuming Japanese comics have an overlapping style. They don't recognise mangaka as individual creators, they have a stereotypical view of the Japanese comic industry. If you think American comics are limited to superhero stories, you also basing your view on stereotypes.

Quote:
When someone says, "OEL manga sucks" or "OEL manga lacks quality"... what's it being compared to? X-Men, or Fruits Basket?

They're being compared to good comics. Certain "OEL manga" aren't bad because they aren't as good as Fruits Basket, they're bad, because they're bad.

Good comics often have an universal appeal, even when they appear grounded in one culture. Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms wasn nomited in for two categories for the Eisners this year. The first one was Best Short Story the second one Best US edition of International Material. It was competing with comics from the rest of the world! The same goes for Monster, which was running for a Best Continuing Series award.

Quote:
This points out the trend made in various editorials years ago:

Manga's "influence" is that predominant. "Influence" behaves like a pendulum, and it's swinging our way now. If it is enough to alter the American comic industry, then it is enough to claim that manga is "superior". I doubt any company would change their ways -- for fun. It's a market effect.

I doubt art abides to natural selection. Sometimes people want something exotic, especially when they have become bored with the local dishes.

Quote:
It's a reasonable expectation because it is what readers demand.

If you truely like comics, you should give them some room to develop themselves. If creators only draw what their audience wants them to draw, we'll end up with countless Shounen Jump-type series. Authors will be encouraged to create series that can run for a long time, most series will be cancelled before completion and most of the series that are allowed to stay will overstay their welcome.

Quote:
Yet, instead of trying to mimic Japanese story telling, I'd like some good wholesome American (or European) stories ported into the manga visual format. That would be a nice change of pace from the multitude of Japanese based stories in manga format.

But what is the manga format? We're still waiting for the definition. I certainly hope you aren't talking about giving Tintin big eyes, an even bigger weapon and enough speedlines to cover half a page.

Quote:

Nope, you're just looking for an exit, because we still want that definition you promised us.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 52