• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation to Distribute Gungrave Anime for Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
It would be my hope against hope that tonight is a double dose of Soul Eater and Evangelion. That would make a lot of people happy...

Of course people'd STILL find something to bitch about, even though it'd make up for the massive PHAIL
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I dunno.. LOL

"Hey Talia" screams "Hetalia"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
It would be my hope against hope that tonight is a double dose of Soul Eater and Evangelion. That would make a lot of people happy...

Of course people'd STILL find something to bitch about, even though it'd make up for the massive PHAIL

Those two were the ones I wanted to see out of all the other things they were planning. They'd also be the best bets for becoming money makers, since Eva is Eva and Soul Eater is a well done shounen.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Jarmel wrote:
This whole event has unfortunately been a waste of time for me and I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

A waste of time? How much time did you personally put in to a PR campaign about new title announcements? What effort did you actually expend besides every now and then checking a news website? I don't understand what you actually lost here. If anything complaining that you're not impressed with the title announcements on an internet forum is a much bigger waste of your time than... I don't know, waiting around to hear the announcements? Who does that?

Then you obviously aren't that much of a gamer or any electronics where you wait years and try to predict what is going to come out next. You're right that the two to three hours I put in pales in comparison to their PR department but they get paid for this. I unfortunately wasted time borthering with instead of commenting on the political news or doing some more research on my stock portfolio. I'm using the forums to express my dissapointment with Funimation and expressing your opinion is never a waste of time.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Although I already own all the first edition discs of Gungrave, (the first 4 volumes baring the Geneon and Pioneer logos together), I still consider this to be fantastic news. Gungrave really is a fantastic series and one of the best friendship stories I've ever seen in anime. It's worth it to check it out even once (and don't be put off by the first episode which solely catered to the video game fans). Smile

I keep hearing a lot about Trigun but barely enough about Gungrave. Maybe it's due to the fact that Gungrave hardly has any comedy to it while Trigun mixes a lot of comedy into its drama.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:

Then you obviously aren't that much of a gamer

I play a lot of video games.

Quote:
or any electronics where you wait years and try to predict what is going to come out next.

But I sure as hell don't spend my life doing this. Yeesh.

Quote:
expressing your opinion is never a waste of time.

Actually I think the internet has basically proven this to be false.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I'd make this argument about the show: if the games were tripe, why would I have any vested interest in an anime based on the same source material?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Because unlike the games which were all nothing but mindless shooting, the anime series takes the characters (from the first game) and expands upon their relationships, their ordeals, and their lives. What Nightow gives us in the anime series is a very strong backstory of the leading character (Brandon Heat) and his friend-turned-foe (Harry MacDowell) and their struggles to make it to the big time in the world of organized crime. The show deals heavily with two themes "friendship" and "betrayal" and emphasizes what affects it will have on one man's actions and goals.

The anime series does stay faithful to the video game for the most part (albeit with some changes to the characters and battle setups) but when we do get to the video game based elements of the series, you can understand why these things are happening. Brandon's revenge is based off of a chain of events that dealt with the goals of making it to the top in the world of organized crime and personally considers it his goal to give one final answer to the one who betrayed him, through force if necessary.

Without the backstory between Heat and Macdowell, Gungrave could've been easily dismissed as a mindless action shooter anime that tried in vain to be like Hellsing but failed miserably. The drama strewn background is the series' strongest point and really is the zenith of Yasuhiro Nightow's work.

Don't just watch Gungrave for its action, watch it for its characterization. It truly is an anime that helped set the standard of what all video game based anime should focus more on.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Is it necessary to play the games to appreciate the story? Oh wait, the games have no "story" beyond shooting crap up...heh. But seriously, if it really IS good, then maybe...but decent game-based anime are few and far between. The last time I got any enjoyment out of an anime with a video game basis was Street Fighter II The Movie (yes, I enjoyed it for what it was, and at least it had no pretense of being anything more than a string of set piece fights).
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually I think the internet has basically proven this to be false.

Wrong. The internet just proves that some people just shouldn't have opinions.

The last time I saw an anime based off of a game that was even half decent was Xenosaga. That might only be because Xenosaga was much more like an 80 hour movie with minimal interaction then a game though so they didn't really have to come up with too much Rolling Eyes
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Xenosaga didn't interest me because of the glaringly obvious Ho Yay
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen all the cards yet, but I'm going to make a wild speculation and say Shikabane Hime Kuro, which airs in Japan starting January 1, 2009. I say this since it's a direct continuation of Aka Rolling Eyes I could easily see this one in place of Eva or Soul Eater if they used Gungrave already.

Quote:

The last time I saw an anime based off of a game that was even half decent was Xenosaga. That might only be because Xenosaga was much more like an 80 hour movie with minimal interaction then a game though so they didn't really have to come up with too much

Game and show were both crap. Game = watching a movie as you said. Anime was just bleh, and don't get me started on Devil May Cry anime. If anything, you're better off watching Persona -trinity soul- or Tales of the Abyss (despite poor transitions).

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
And all this time I thought Ho Yay was some weird pig latin terminology. Confused
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Gungrave is a great anime actually. One of the best I've ever seen. It's probably the only one based on a video game that turned out great. People miss out on great stuff for stupid reasons.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I avoided Gungrave the anime because I heard the games it's based on are, to put it bluntly, shit. This is disappointing...unless tomorrow we DO get Evangelion for sure, this whole thing was nearly a waste of time with one or two worthy exceptions.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
No offense, but video games as source material are often suspect, so that was why I thought it wasn't worth a second look at first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8