• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-02-20]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
pparker wrote:

Oh, and thanks for the agreement on Evangelion. I feel like a lone soldier in that one.

There is no lone soldier in Evangelion debates. I had to wade thru thousands of thesis-long discussions while that was first coming out. No, no, definitely much much more than one in any side, oh my poor poor tired eyes remember quite well. Anime cry

Ha, I can't imagine the pain for someone who's been around a long time. I shouldn't complain. Smile

Part of it is there's no manga to precede the anime. So nobody knew beforehand where the anime was going. And it's one of those weird psychological/psychotherapy anime (it actually started that trend on J-TV). So, as each episode came out after another, everybody was scrambling for their own symbols for explanation and adjusted their psychobabble theories accordingly. Laughing
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:04 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

I for one would definitely buy a CD of Funimation's collected dub songs, particularly if it had the opening theme of Fruits Basket. It was a beautiful song in Japanese, but it was just as beautiful in English. But somehow I don't think they ever did full-length dub versions of the songs, I get the sense they only did the 1:30 that was required for the opening/ending theme's time.

In Fruits Basket's next-to-last episode (I think that it is episode #23) there is a piano medley that is played in place of the regular closing song. Simply as breathtaking as it is heartbreaking.
Crying or Very sad
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
BrianaTheBard wrote:
I'm getting kind of tired of these holier-than-thou people who name off a bunch of different anime that you've never heard of as "comfort food."

Does not having seen so many anime make you feel inferior?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote
BrianaTheBard wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
As for the previous week's question, I don't know that I have any series I think of specifically as "comfort food," because it's been quite some time since I've actually sat down and rewatched anything. I suppose that any of the shows I viewed multiple times back in the day on [adult swim] would definitely qualify. Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell, FLCL, FMA, Big O, Samurai Champloo...they all feel like old friends, and I'd gladly pop in a disk of any of them at the drop of a hat.

I'm glad you agree with me. I'm getting kind of tired of these holier-than-thou people who name off a bunch of different anime that you've never heard of as "comfort food." I didn't have much access to different types of anime, and they turn up their noses when I say that I've only watched the dubs.

*sigh* I could rant more, but I would just be going in circles.

The reason others list different anime than you may be because they like other anime than you do, and not necessarily because they think your taste in anime is inferior to theirs, but yes there are some elitists out there, and you have my sympathies. I have probably seen shows you haven't, judging by your adult swim based response, but I don't think anything of it (except that it would be good if you had access to more different anime so you could choose to watch if you wanted to). If you'd like to joint-author a rant on the "Miyazaki is god and shall be worshipped as such" crowd, then I'd be down for that (even though I like Miyazaki, if I have to hear one more person say that everything else is garbage with no redeeming value then I might just start carrying anime on my iPod so I can show them something interesting then and there.) My other comfort food anime may be Cardcaptor Sakura, which is enjoyable to watch for the effort put into the character interaction, and I quite like Potemayo, which I've just started watching, really funny, happy show, plus Hidamari Sketch, which is an energetic but somehow chilled at the same time slice of life sketch show about art students. Kiki's Delivery Service (told ya I like Miyazaki) is kind of comfort food, if nothing else it is an interesting portrait of a young teenage girl (not entirely realistic though) and I like to come back to it.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
BrianaTheBard wrote:
I'm glad you agree with me. I'm getting kind of tired of these holier-than-thou people who name off a bunch of different anime that you've never heard of as "comfort food." I didn't have much access to different types of anime, and they turn up their noses when I say that I've only watched the dubs.

Uh... what? I just rechecked this thread, and it's not like you posted any choices yourself and got mocked for it. So this post makes no sense. Who cares if someone really likes an anime you haven't heard of and enjoys rewatching it? It just means that *gasps in shock!* they like an anime... that you haven't heard of. Not that they are some horrible dub hating elitist. (Though it's possible that may be true as well.)

Honestly, if simply reading about people liking series you don't know about makes you tired, I strongly suggest you don't bother to read the responses to the Answerfans question next week. In fact, you probably should never read any thread that discusses anime, cause you never know when someone might have an opinion different than you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7