• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ro-Kyu-Bu! TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
getchman wrote:
Wait, are we taking about Suruga or Nadeko?

Nadeko.

Seriously, people who point to Nadeko liking Koyomi as some sort of horrible pedophillic thing are just insane. She's goddamn 15. She's not a little kid. She's in love with a 17 year old. This is so normal its almost banal.

just for clarification and nothing else, are you sure she is 15? i was under the impression that both she and Tsukihi are the same age and still in middle school and a year younger than Karen, who is about to enter high school. wouldn't 15 be too old for middle school?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:

just for clarification and nothing else, are you sure she is 15? i was under the impression that both she and Tsukihi are the same age and still in middle school and a year younger than Karen, who is about to enter high school. wouldn't 15 be too old for middle school?

I think she's the same age as Karen, not Tsukihi. But to be honest, I'm not even sure Koyomi's 17, not 16.

The point is this, a girl who is in 8th or 9th grade (to use the US grade levels for clarity) has a crush on a boy who is in 10th or 11th grade, who happens to be the older brother of her best friend.

Excuse me if I've bored you by describing one of the most cliched things imaginable.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
getchman wrote:

I think she's the same age as Karen, not Tsukihi. But to be honest, I'm not even sure Koyomi's 17, not 16.

The point is this, a girl who is in 8th or 9th grade (to use the US grade levels for clarity) has a crush on a boy who is in 10th or 11th grade, who happens to be the older brother of her best friend.

Excuse me if I've bored you by describing one of the most cliched things imaginable.

well, i did ask, so it's not really a problem. i'm just seriously confused as to the age of the cast and what grades they are in, so i figured you might know.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Tsukihi and Nadeko are both 14. There's no harm in her liking him. There's only a problem if he takes advantage of that.

But one should probably look up Japan's age of consent before making judgments.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I think he is supposed to be in his first year of high school and they are in there last year grade school. he's around 15, and they around 11.

There's a massive difference between a fifteen-year-old and an eleven-year-old. Don't try and excuse the indefensible.

This is dtm42 in his usual moralistic posturing outrage mode as he has been in this thread about a basically innocuous show like Ro-Kyu-Bu. And here's the other dtm42 from the SAO discussion thread in the anime forum:

dtm42 wrote:
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Guys.

GUYS

Is this normal, though?

Probably not normal, but who cares? I approve of this picture.

Be warned, the picture that dtm42 "approves" of is NSFW. For those who don't want to click on the link, it is a dojinshi image of the very underage Yui lying in bed with Asuna. Both are dressed only in panties and very filmy tops as they embrace. As far as erotic-ized images go, it is several magnitudes higher on the squick scale than anything that appears in Ro-Kyu-Bu! yet dtm42 "approves" of it.

Yep, real mountain of consistency, there. Rolling Eyes
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
it is a dojinshi image

Actually that's official art from Nyantype magazine.

Anyways, for a lot of people if it's yuri (suggested or otherwise) there's no problem.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
Why did this thread turned into a pedo debate?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:09 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Anyways, for a lot of people if it's yuri (suggested or otherwise) there's no problem.

I think a mother and adopted daughter having a cuddle on the bed is cute and I make no excuses for thinking that way. If anyone thought that I wanted the two characters to shag then they need to get their minds out of the gutter.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:17 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

I think a mother and adopted daughter having a cuddle on the bed is cute and I make no excuses for thinking that way. If anyone thought that I wanted the two characters to shag then they need to get their minds out of the gutter.

Laughing What a load of baloney. How many mothers and adopted daughters cuddle together in their panties? Laughing Your hypocrisy - as always - is staggering. You'll go on about the stuff in Ro-Kyu-Bu! which is totally mild but claim to see nothing untoward about the above pic. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
Yay, another season of Ro-Kyu-Bu, and I usually skip over sports anime.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
I think he is supposed to be in his first year of high school and they are in there last year grade school. he's around 15, and they around 11.

There's a massive difference between a fifteen-year-old and an eleven-year-old. Don't try and excuse the indefensible.

This is dtm42 in his usual moralistic posturing outrage mode as he has been in this thread about a basically innocuous show like Ro-Kyu-Bu. And here's the other dtm42 from the SAO discussion thread in the anime forum:

dtm42 wrote:
ZorgonXtreme wrote:
Guys.

GUYS

Is this normal, though?

Probably not normal, but who cares? I approve of this picture.

Be warned, the picture that dtm42 "approves" of is NSFW. For those who don't want to click on the link, it is a dojinshi image of the very underage Yui lying in bed with Asuna. Both are dressed only in panties and very filmy tops as they embrace. As far as erotic-ized images go, it is several magnitudes higher on the squick scale than anything that appears in Ro-Kyu-Bu! yet dtm42 "approves" of it.

Yep, real mountain of consistency, there. Rolling Eyes

Look, you know I hate fanservice and the cheeze-whiz otaku-pandering romance in SAO in particular. However, I also understand that in Japanese culture having kids sleep in their parents' bed is normal way past the time we think it is not (up to age 10 in a paper I read for my Japanese Anthropology class). I have no doubt that picture was intended for prurient purposes, but that doesn't mean it can't be seen outside of that context as something different to someone else. Quite frankly, it is rather tame as far as doujinshi images go. I have seen far more racier and NSFW-type images used in ANN's theme skin--HLP comes to mind. Hell, the one they had up yesterday was far worse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am Reply with quote
@ dragon695: aw, aren't you the good little minion. I know you don't have the intellectual honesty to admit that your hero is a hypocrite, but I think anyone who doesn't have blinders on will take a look at some of the comments that dtm42 has made in this thread then take a look at that picture that he "approves" of and go ... "huh?"

Sure, different people will have different reactions to that image, but is there really anyone so clueless out there that they don't understand what the illustrator's intention was? Laughing
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

And how much do you want to bet that if it was Kirito instead of Asuna in that picture people would go on about how disgusting it is?

That's the thing I notice. As soon as you introduce a guy into the mix it suddenly becomes offensive. No one says anything when Sena drools over Kobato but if Kodaka dotes on Maria a little he's a lolicon.

I'm sure if Ro-Kyu-Bu was just about girls playing basketball with no coach or with Aoi as their coach there'd be a lot less outrage.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
Simple: Many societies, western society included, view men as being driven solely by libido. A woman who likes children is a nice, sweet lady but a man who likes children is obviously a perverted child rapist waiting to strike. On the other hand, a woman would never have indecent thoughts, of course Rolling Eyes

Jesus, I hate double standards.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Doujinshi nothing, thats official art. Its a Nyantype poster.

Also, how do you even define age with Yui?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8