• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Chobits, Eden of the East Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Glad they got Chobits Smile now if only they would license the Lupin III series
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Funimation releases of old Geneon series are basically the same old Geneon release repackaged and rearranged with a Funi label plastered on it next to the Geneon one.

No sir, this description is only for the titles that Geneon still has the license to and that FUNi has distribution rights for. As for the shows that Geneon no longer has and FUNi licensed straight from the Japanese licensors, those get released in Viridian Collection-style fashion (different packaging, less discs, some if not all extras stripped & no Geneon logo).
Aeikozz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Wow... Chobits. I just finished finding the 4DVD of the Pioneer Editions to complete my collection. Can't wait to pick that up on Blu Ray
Zom-B

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Here I went to the forum thinking to get some consolidation from reading other stories of people who hate Funimation , and now I see everyone's happy about this?? WTF?

Funimation is licensing all good anime, making life less fun for millions of people, because all groups and download sites revoke these anime when they are licensed. This makes it impossible for people to obtain them except by importing them from the USA for killer prices. WHY??

Of Paradise Lost no fansubs have been released yet and it's already licensed. How am I supposed to see it now?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Zom-B wrote:
Here I went to the forum thinking to get some consolidation from reading other stories of people who hate Funimation , and now I see everyone's happy about this?? WTF?

Funimation is licensing all good anime, making life less fun for millions of people, because all groups and download sites revoke these anime when they are licensed. This makes it impossible for people to obtain them except by importing them from the USA for killer prices. WHY??

Of Paradise Lost no fansubs have been released yet and it's already licensed. How am I supposed to see it now?

Most of the people here live in the USA so they have every reason to be happy.

Yes, the industry is failing you, and I understand how it can suck for you in the Netherlands, but you can't expect the major Anime markets in the world (USA, France, Germany, Australia, etc...) to just stand still so fans in less fortunate countries can get some anime ?

You need to find local solutions to your problem. Get some Dutch fansubbers to translate these shows, or better yet, a local commercial distributor.

I'm assuming that, if these shows were available commercially in your market, you'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for them right ?

Oh, and that stupid name you called Funimation; don't do it again.

-t
Zom-B

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
What do you call a reasonable price?

If each DVD/BR of up to 9 episodes would be $10 on average, then if I would go buy all the anime which I have on my disk that's licensed, I'd weigh about $5460 less. If I had to buy all the anime I have on my disk, including the non-licensed, I'd weigh about $26100 less.

In any case, if I ignore that and only but the anime that's currently on my wishlist and probably licensed (because I can't find it), I'd weigh about $4550 less.

ps. How do you know I'm from the Netherlands??
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Zom-B wrote:
What do you call a reasonable price?

Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder.

What do you think is a reasonable amount to pay for a TV series ?

Would you be willing to pay that ?

Essentially, my question is, are you willing and able to put any money into the anime industry to give them a reason to care about your unhappiness ?

If you stop being an anime fan, does the anime industry lose any money? If you hate Funimation, do they lose your business ?

Are you willing to watch anime without "owning" a copy ? For example on ad-sponsored TV / streaming sites, or pay-on-demand services ?

Are you willing to pay $1.99 an episode for download-to-own from itunes ?

Or do you feel that everything should be completely free ?

Quote:
ps. How do you know I'm from the Netherlands??

Magic.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7