• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Longview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
FRUITS BASKET?! Are you going to do a similar route to the anime? End it at volume 6? I can't IMAGINE a movie for that series working well beyond that volume.

Hmmm. I just ran through the major story beats in my mind's eye, and I think it could work with a compressed timeline. Instead of slowly unfolding the relationships and the angst of the zodiac - Joshua Long was spot-on when he noted that there are long stretches where nothing cinematic happens - start the story close to when spoiler[the zodiac bond to their "god" reaches the crisis point] and build the story there. As much as I'd miss the side trips to Ayame's dress shop, the Sorta Cinderella performance, class field trips, and Hanajima's spoiler[psychic powers], I'd streamline the story in order to focus on Tohru and the zodiac Sohmas. The slow reveal and progress in character growth worked for the manga, but the movie needs a real ending if it's going to be widely successful. Fruits Basket is a popular manga, but that doesn't translate to a Twilight-style fanbase.

On an unrelated note... Thanks very much to Zac and Gia for their comments on Eden of the East. I'd recently canceled my pre-order for grim financial reasons, but the podcast reminded me that the first five eps truly were exceptional when I watched them streaming. Hearing that the ending isn't the disappointment that I've read about sealed the deal. As a bonus, RightStuf reaps the benefit of my Amazon cancellation. The crowd goes wild.
aizensama666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree with Eden of the East being a great concept for a live action movie. Just finished watching it last night and I'm waiting for my Blu Ray to come in the mail some time this week. Tatami Galaxy would be great too. The pitch: "Groundhog Day meets American Pie." And I know it's not anime, but I'm dying for an Americanized Battle Royale....but the cast would need to be all unknown kids.
AuthorRoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry if I'm resurrecting this thread or whatever, but I really feel like it's downright criminal for people to not mention these...

Slayers - If the novels are used as the primary source, I think this could make a good anime/novel->movie transition; at least, it should be popular with younger teens/kids.

Code Geass - This one is simply too amazing to ignore. It has an easily understood story - one that would reach beyond the traditional anime fan with incredible ease. I consider it to be the best story I've ever seen/read/watched, out of everything ever. And Transformers proved that giant robots can be done, so that's not a problem.

Escaflowne - Similar to Code Geass, this one has really a nice story that could easily reach beyond the average anime fan and become really popular with a western audience. I feel though, that it would be better as a live action series rather than movie.

Eden of the East is an...okay suggestion, I suppose, but we just had Bourne Identity already... I'd really rather see an original series based on it; perhaps an Eden of the West or something with characters based in the Americas or UK or something. Bonus points if it's considered canon and old characters make new appearances, but I really think it doesn't need to be remade this early.

Ranma 1/2 I would say this'd be great, but someone might think it's just trying to ride off the success of kung-fu kid... not to mention it would be hard to pull off the Japanese humor and appeal to a western audience with the incredibly japanese personalities...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7