• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Streaming Service Down Amid DDoS Attack

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
They really wanted to give the middle finger to gamer and anime fans alike.
laceblade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
This is super sad - I was planning to finish off all the shows I've been watching this season while I'm off of work tomorrow & New Year's Day.

Is there anything we can do to help fight DDoS attacks, aside from generally encouraging people to not be not-so-nice-people?
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I didn't understand why CR was wierd. But then I read a fast tweet and know why. Hopefully my plan is continue or begin watching somethin on the site until january, So this didn't affected me because I didn't enter scince yersterday.

Yes, scince yesterday I noticed something wrong. Those hackers...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
pro-tip to anyone calling these guys hackers STAPH! They are not hackers all they are doing is using automated ddos or Distributed Denial-Of-Service scripst to attack websites.

To clarity all they are doing is sending out a slew of false HTTP request on a sever until the said service or streaming site crashes due to false number of request.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
paperbox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
why ;-;

hope it comes back soon...
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Try paying $25-$30 for a single vhs tape with 3-4 episodes on it. Cause that's what we did in the day when we didn't have other options. People complaining about box set prices for the most part never bought single dvds for a series, let alone vhs tapes.
if you knew where to get them back in the day there were VHS fansubs. but they came out MUCH more slowly, distros often had minimum and maximum tape numbers per order, and, of course, you had to know who to contact for them. not to mention you had to pay for the cost of the VHS tape and S&H unless it was a trade, then you had to have decent quality fansubs of something they wanted and cross record and send them a copy of it in exchange for the fansubs you wanted.

I remember waiting a good year to get the second half of something I was watching back in the day because of the speed of the fansubs AND the minimum tape requirements for the distros I used. I don't remember the prices I paid (especially since some distros used better shipping options than others so prices would vary). cost wise tho, if they came out at the same rate fansubs come out today I'd have been spending more per month back then than it would cost for a paid account at a legal streaming site or two (or three) now. and I'd probably get a better deal with the legal streaming sites because sometimes you had to top off the minimum order requirements with stuff that turned out to be something you didn't like then you had to figure out what to do with it.

there was also Cartoon Network's attempted-far-too-early-to-work anime streaming site for a while, but streaming downloads were still clunky then, most had terribly low resolution (even compared to what we'd consider terribly low resolution today; I could barely even read the subs on most of those streams), and the fact that dialup was still the main form of internet made it very impractical. not to mention how small the selection was on there.
danls86

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
its back up now... This is annoying though! They need to stop it with these attacks!
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
danls86 wrote:
its back up now... This is annoying though! They need to stop it with these attacks!

Uh, it's not back up from where I'm standing, I still can't access CR on my PC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
laceblade wrote:
Is there anything we can do to help fight DDoS attacks, aside from generally encouraging people to not be not-so-nice-people?

Sadly, I there is barely anything powerful enough to counter a Distributed Denial of Service attack.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
danls86 wrote:

No, companies must level up their IT infrastructure so that their servers can't be brought to their knees by a bunch of script kiddies. It costs money and time to do so, but hoping they will stop doing it is like asking for world peace, most will agree but it never happens..

Last edited by mangamuscle on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:

I remember waiting a good year to get the second half of something I was watching back in the day because of the speed of the fansubs AND the minimum tape requirements for the distros I used.

Shocked Shocked Shocked I think I would have gotten very very frustrated.

I lived in a small city pre-2006. I didn't have access to a distributor and none of my local stores carried anime. None, Nada, zip.
Internet was the only possible way to watch things. Though I didn't really watch much on the internet until i found fan subs on youtube in like mid 2007.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
dm wrote:
Ah, so that must be why I get a "We're checking your browser for DDOS protection" bounce/redirect when I visit ANN. I was wondering.

Yes I suspect that the group that took down PSN and Xbox Live and now CR are probably after ANN too.

ANN doesn't need DDOS attack to go down. It goes down almost weekly. lol
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:00 pm Reply with quote
All I can is, whoever attacked relatively small and legit business like CR should rot in hell.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I was in the middle of watching Seitokai Yakuindomo you asshats

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
One group I could see doing this are those who are region locked from simulcasts. While I don't feel they are justified doing it because of this, I can see why.

From what I know, YouTube would be an ideal site to do more simulcasts since I think it is the most region-free streaming site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11