• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2015 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Fate/stay night's new ending theme sounds like something made by a 9-year-old. Kalafina has seriously fell in their creativity in the past seven years.
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen it yet (nor do I intend to, after these reviews), but I wanted to say something about Gunslinger Stratos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's probably not entirely accurate to call the source a lightgun game (in the sense of one like Virtua Cop). As far as I can tell, it does use one, but it's an entirely multiplayer TPS. So... they likely had even less source material to stick to, and still did nothing good with it.
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
the new opener and closer do not impress much

Have to disagree on that, I love the new OP, way better than the old one, Aimer is such a great artist. I'll agree on the ED, this doesn't hold a candle to the first season's but who knows, maybe it'll grow on me
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
So Plastic Memories is basically going to break my heart every week, isn't it?

*sigh*

As the Hunchback said to one of Notre Dame's gargoyles, "Why can't I be made of stone, like thee?"
Gistradagis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

Maybe I should have gone deeper into that.

Basically what I'm getting at is that I don't like it when people or works of fiction try to portray death as necessary or beneficial just because it's inevitable. The reason I don't like that is it fosters the kind of attitudes that make people want to reject life extending technologies as being 'unnatural'.

For example, a few years ago, in the context of whether to allow certain kinds of biotechnological research, the U.S. presidential bioethics advisor stated that mortality was not an evil but a blessing and that "The Finitude of human life is a blessing for every human individual, whether he knows it or not." So this is a dude in a position of power that's deliberately opposing efforts to increase human life expectancy. Now, we don't need to open this particular can of worms, so let me say that my main point here is that whether or not one thinks people should disagree with this kind of research for other reasons, this is obviously not a good reason.

Back before smallpox was eradicated, when innoculation was beginning, there was some opposition due to those kind of rationalizations of it being part of the natural order. Surgery was initially opposed because people thought it was 'unnatural' to cut into and interfere with the body. The issue here is that those kind of rationalizations may just serve to make people feel better about inevitabilities they can't control now, but if a future time comes where we can actually deal with things like heart disease and cancer, those rationalizations will serve as obstacles to us. The solutions will indubitably involve altering the body in some way, like and unlike vaccination and surgery, and because this particular way is novel, people will initially oppose it and deem in 'unnatural'.

I mean, it just isn't right that these androids can't go past a decade, just as it isn't right that most of us don't go past a century. I don't want to see Plastic Memories take the stance that it's bad for people to not want the androids to die because 9 years is their natural life span and you have to accept that.

Let it be said that I'm not saying Plastic Memories has gone to this territory or even that it will, but I can foresee that it might, and if it does I won't be happy. On the positive side, if it takes something like the other track I can see it ascending to great heights in my books.

The key difference is between "this is bad but I accept its inevitability" and "I'm going to rationalize why this unpleasant but inevitable thing isn't bad."

I can see where are you coming from. But I think (or at least hope) that they are not really going that direction, but more of a Blade Runner or Chobits thing, with the addition that these "robots" degrade (maybe making them even more similar to humans?). So it wouldn't be that much about the necessity of death or lack thereof, but an added side to the drama.
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
So having actually seen its first episode is anyone else bothered by that image of Seraph on the "sponsored by Funimation" thing or is that just me? I know nothing about the source but that seems like an annoyingly big spoiler to have planted there.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
How can you tell that's really him? His sword doesn't even look like that.

Blood- wrote:
As the Hunchback said to one of Notre Dame's gargoyles, "Why can't I be made of stone, like thee?"

Because when you're made of stone, you're really heavy and can only lose weight via amputation or erosion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Well lord knows Plastic Memories is in need of some comic relief, but they really need to work on that. After the pathos of the last scene, I'd prefer a more heart-warming sort of comic relief than a bathroom joke. They seem to have the writing chops to handle the emotional scenes, so I hope they figure out how to use that skill on the comedy instead of just handing it over to the second-string interns.

Gunslinger Stratos is apparently one of those series I have to have played the game for it to make any sense? Cause I haven't and it didn't. And when the animation is so off-model that even I notice it, that's pretty sad, especially for a premier.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
maxwell3094 wrote:
So having actually seen its first episode is anyone else bothered by that image of Seraph on the "sponsored by Funimation" thing or is that just me? I know nothing about the source but that seems like an annoyingly big spoiler to have planted there.

Not really. The only people who would know who that is are people who have read the manga and wouldn't be spoiled by it. I haven't and it doesn't seem like a spoiler to me. It just looks like some random character I've never seem before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
^ Have you seen the episode? Kinda looks like a spoiler to me (I haven't read the manga either).
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

To me a first episode is a critical one. It can either make or break whether a fan watches that show. Whether or not it catches your attention or not.

As a relatively experienced anime fan, I've learned that first episodes are very rarely evocative of the entire series, and some of my favorite shows I might have given up on if judged by the first ep alone. You almost have to commit to the second episode at least on anything remotely interesting to you, it not several more.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the incongruity of the tone in the final scene of Plastic Memories was a tiny flaw, but by that point I didn't care. And with now four scores all at of 4.5 or better, it's looking like the top debut of the new season.

Galap wrote:
One twist that I can potentially forsee is that spoiler[Maybe the 9 year lifespan isn't really an inherent problem to making these people, and is intentionally introduced by the corpration, or maybe it doesn't exist at all, and these androids are being murdered for the company's profit from planned obsolescence.] That could be kind of interesting.

Boy, I really, really hope you're wrong, as I think a cheap gimmick like that would destroy what the first episode establishes. Besides, given the tone of the first episode, I suspect that this is going much more in the direction of Tsukasa's interactions with Isla, and their termination assignments, help Isla come to terms with her own impending demise. I can see the series using that to examine how people confront and deal with their own mortality in widely-varied ways, and I think that's a great approach for a series to take.

I also find it very interesting that the series is effectively doing the exact opposite of what Mahoromatic did. In that series, Mahoro always knew that she had a limited lifespan and fully accepted it, so she strove to do what she could with the time she had left. Here Isla is instead apparently terrified of it.

Oh, and yeah, Zac, you're not the only one who first thought of MSN's Ruri when seeing Isla; I was going to mention that myself but just forgot. In fact, given that the one other girl is almost a dead-ringer for NGE's Asuka (right down to the hair clips), I have to wonder if characters aren't being deliberately modeled off of certain famous mecha series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I should clarify why it seems like a spoiler to me. In that image it looks JUST like spoiler[Mikaela and his survival alone would already be somewhat of a spoiler. On top of that though considering the odd look of his sword and his expression I can already guess that for some reason or another he is fighting on the side of the vampires which will lead to some sort of epic duel between him and Yuichiro.]

Unless that happens pretty early on that does seem like a somewhat big spoiler and if I turn out to be right ill be annoyed to have noticed that.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Pick Up Girls never makes it some 'outrageous' point that the girl was the hero. That was never portrayed as it was implied here. It only matters to the protagonist because his whole self worth was already fragile before. It wouldn't have mattered if it was a male or female or a non human saving him. It just hurts his sensibilities because it was something he promised himself. I just think that critique is really weird. This show even goes out of its way to show that the female characters are some of the strongest beings in the story so far. I don't think it's some 'old stereotype' at all. And they have shown plainly that the opposite could and have worked.

As for Plastic Memories, it reminds me of a Chobits but also a bit of Death Parade mixed in. That every client has their own take on the work of the agency. Fantastic episode. Got me tearing up 3 times already in ep1.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
xBTAx wrote:
I haven't seen it yet (nor do I intend to, after these reviews), but I wanted to say something about Gunslinger Stratos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's probably not entirely accurate to call the source a lightgun game (in the sense of one like Virtua Cop). As far as I can tell, it does use one, but it's an entirely multiplayer TPS. So... they likely had even less source material to stick to, and still did nothing good with it.

Hmm, to me personally I think it's better for it to have a non narrative source material, because there the authors can be more free in writing what they want, as opposed to having to be tied to some half-baked story of a game that has a definite one but where that's not the focus.

Key wrote:

Boy, I really, really hope you're wrong, as I think a cheap gimmick like that would destroy what the first episode establishes. Besides, given the tone of the first episode, I suspect that this is going much more in the direction of Tsukasa's interactions with Isla, and their termination assignments, help Isla come to terms with her own impending demise. I can see the series using that to examine how people confront and deal with their own mortality in widely-varied ways, and I think that's a great approach for a series to take.

While I can see it being well done if it does end up that way, I do agree that it has more potential if it goes more along the confronting mortality lines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 43