• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Macross Delta (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Another good episode, more characterization on Messer.
We learn about his past and why Kaname cares about him more than other Delta member. Plus, the song she used in the past saved him from turning Var completely.

The aerial dogfight is decent, although not on the level I had expected. Then again, Messer wasn't fighting with his complete skill and I doubt Keith was either. Their rivalry continues on as one of the best so far this season though imo.

On a comedic note, I think the love triangle thing officially began? Lol. At least so far by the "speculations" of the other girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this episode and I'm starting to kind of like Messer. Like Stark700 I like his rivalry with the White Knight and the Var Syndrome makes it more interesting. He also has a thing for Kaname. The captain is a nice fellow and all, but I'll root for Messer's grumpy ass.

Last edited by Cam0 on Tue May 31, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ep 9
I am going to bet on that a later reveal is that when Freyja and Hayate are somehow "synchronizing" they are utilizing a power equivalent if not stronger than the Prince's Wind Song which later may tie into Freyja having a much more intriguing heritage.

The episode was mainly to establish Messer as he has been relatively secondary and seemed to exist to be passive aggressive to Hayate, it should work out as the later scenes at least tease a different triangle of a jilted Freyja unwittingly eyeing Messer whom still has a savior crush on Kaname.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I really liked this episode and I'm starting to kind of like Messer. Like Stark700 I like his rivalry with the White Knight and the Var Syndrome makes it more interesting. He also has a thing for Kaname. The captain is a nice fellow and all, but I'll root for Messer's grumpy ass.

Yeah, I was always kinda shipping Messer/Kaname. This just solidifies it.

I actually find myself liking Kaname quite a bit, which is strange since I usually don't prefer big sister types.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Ep 10:

Well shit. spoiler[I was really rooting for Kaname/Messer too.

Of course this presents a much bigger narrative problem: no one but Messer was able to stand up to Keith, so with Messer gone there is no way Delta platoon can win any battle.]
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I can't say that I'm surprised at this episode's outcome. I wonder where the show goes from there.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Ep 10:

Well shit. spoiler[I was really rooting for Kaname/Messer too.

Of course this presents a much bigger narrative problem: no one but Messer was able to stand up to Keith, so with Messer gone there is no way Delta platoon can win any battle.]

Indeed. This is actually a perfect opportunity for Hayate and ESPECIALLY Mirage to spoiler[really step up their piloting skills and fill in the void left by Messer unless they introduce his replacement pilot. All in all, this going to make seeing Keith actually lose to the both of them all too sweet.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10
spoiler[Macross has often played with the "mentor hazard" trope, so in retrospect calling out Messer's death was more likely than a pineapple based condiment making an appearance.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Is anyone surprised? I'm not. I mean, Messer had tons of death flags in these past few episodes but I'm still sad to see him die after getting shot by Keith. Well it was a fair aerial duel and Keith happened to be the better pilot this time.

I'm also wondering what they plan to do with Kaname's role at this point or if Hayate plans on getting revenge (even though Bogue has a grudge against him since their previous encounter).

Sad episode still though...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Ep 10
spoiler[Macross has often played with the "mentor hazard" trope, so in retrospect calling out Messer's death was more likely than a pineapple based condiment making an appearance.]

But Arad is the classic mentor type so you'd expect him to go first. But I guess Kawamori likes pulling a fast one on us, like what happened with Ozuma in Frontier.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Crap another 10 episode series. Well I guess we will have to wait for the OVA's.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
But Arad is the classic mentor type so you'd expect him to go first. But I guess Kawamori likes pulling a fast one on us

I don't know about that. I heard fan speculation that because Delta switched focus to an idol squad, Kaname would be the one to die as the mentor type. Certainly the recent death flags could have been for her just as easily as they could have been for Messer.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Certainly if one of the Walkure girls are going to bite it, it'll probably be Kaname.

Still, Messer is the cold ace type who rags on the protagonist for their lack of skills. Those types typically survive at least until the protagonist gets skilled enough for the ace to recognize them as an equal. To get that same effect now Hayate will have to take down Keith, but it'll take more than a few training montages for him to reach that level.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:

I don't know about that. I heard fan speculation that because Delta switched focus to an idol squad, Kaname would be the one to die as the mentor type. Certainly the recent death flags could have been for her just as easily as they could have been for Messer.

Mikumo seems more like Freyja's mentor as well as the unofficial leader of the Walkure (IE she is closer to Messer's counterpart than Kaname), and considering she seems to have more of the "Obi-wan" effect while unlocking the secrets of the Protoculture I would find that Lady M has raised more death flags among the Walkure in comparison .
spoiler[Unless the "big twist" is that Freyja dies well before the end of the series.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Awesome. I weirdly like character deaths, particulary if it's a character I like. And I was really starting to like Messer so his passing had a lot of impact. It'll be a shame that I won't get to see more Kaname/Messer action though (unless Messer somehow survives, but becomes incapable of piloting fighters. Getting hit by a fighter's cannon will probably mess you up pretty bad though.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 20