• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Someone mentioning Pokemon reminded me of something. Butterfree. That almost got me as a kid.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
I teared up at the end of Ghibli's Princess Kaguya.

I honestly cried like a baby through a good portion of that movie. Just the visuals alone, during certain spoilery parts, were enough to get me tearing up.

Dang right. It'll likely be a while until a film is as emotionally draining on me as that one was. Appropriately enough, the last film that got me that hard was Grave of the Fireflies, Takahata's other masterpiece. I'm not really the type of person who cries over movies or shows. It's not that I'm heartless or anything (I'd like to think I'm pretty in touch with my emotional sensitivity), I guess it's just harder for me to start welling up in actual tears.

But there have been plenty of films that have affected me very much emotionally, and maybe even got me noticeably teary-eyed as well.

Just off the top of my head: Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Kaguya (as I already mentioned), Wolf Children, of course! Anything by Makoto Shinkai, really. Probably Princess Mononoke, but I think that has more to do with it being one of my first anime than anything else. Although it is a beautiful and very affecting film for me personally.

Also some series that really got to me: Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Toradora (yeah it was definitely on the melodramatic side, but it just felt so sincere most of the time).

I mean, honestly there are a lot of other anime out there that definitely made me feel something. Heavy emotional stuff, but not necessarily enough to make me cry over them. Like, the Space Dandy finale actually moved me quite a bit as well, but nothing that I needed the tissues for. Same with Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion. Except after watching Evangelion for the first first I didn't know what to feel. I was essentially stuck in emotional limbo.
DisneyLM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
The first anime that made me cry was Angel Beats, followed by: Clannad, Clannd After Story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7