• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Worst Anime Relationships

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:22 am Reply with quote
Not sure I could ever make a list of disturbing anime relationships and just list 5. Maybe 5 per season?

Didn't see anyone mention Kodomo no Jikan on any of the posts but yes, where do we begin on the disturbing relationships? While I love the manga, I absolutely hated Reiji (Rin's adopted dad) and while I gave him points for standing up to Mimi's parents, I didn't like his ending. If anything, I would have submitted Reiji/Mimi or Reiji/Rin as a contender for worst relationship. As much negative publicity as this manga received for Rin and Aoki-sensei, that was probably the healthiest relationship in the lot. spoiler[Aoki waited until Rin was legal. But Reiji...Reiji was grooming underage girls and, unlike Rin, no one cared that he targeted Mimi.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
If Love Hina were made today it would almost certainly adapt a more recent anime trope and explain the basis of the Keitaro X Naru relationship. The guy is a masochist and his truest character comes out when he is abused. When you look at it that way, he definitely got his match right.

But yeah, the anime does go a little extra. Just recently reread the manga and enjoyed it again. One big thing- They're a couple or resisting being a couple for like half the series. There is very little doubt who they like, just bits where the other girls realize they have their own one-sided feelings.

The biggest problem with the manga is the ending, where none of the girls, except maybe Kitsune- who was never a serious contender, move on in life and are all still fixated on a guy who has permanently and rightly friend-zoned them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
wow, so much shield hero discussion. I find it both amusing and headscratching to see the discussion escalate to that degree.

As for my pick for worst anime relationships, i can't really say i know many awful relationships. Maybe something from Infinite Stratos or DxD if i really had to dig into the LNs due to some odd choices for how characters interact or grow towards each other.

I also honestly think a good chunk of romantic relationships in anime are rather off. DxD and Infinite Stratos suffer from overly archetypal characters and also rather shallow reasons for attraction. When I say shallow, i mean that it's based of relatively surface level traits like niceness rather than deep emotional connections tied to personality and what not.

Granted, what i stated is most likely due to different focus but man, i find it so odd that people back then liked harem series considering how lacking the romance is compared to say Toradora or Kaguya sama
Probablytomorrow

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Go read the light novels, it's literally what happens. Raphtalia DOES not have to follow Naofumi's orders and can disagree with him whenever she wants, he turned off the slave crest so that it wouldn't hurt her or cause pain but left the beneficial aspects like the stat boosts. The anime just doesn't get into the nitty gritty of those aspects but it's definitely not a rewrite, it's just more subtle in the anime.

I wouldn’t call that a nitty gritty detail. Doesn't that detail redefine their entire relationship dynamic? How is anyone supposed to believe her slave crest doesn’t work just from watching the anime? How was that even subtly hinted?
gedata

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I always viewed the moment with Raphtalia choosing to keep the slave tattoo as the most baffling writing decision in the entire series. It functionally does nothing for her but limit her autonomy as a person, but not only that, wouldn't it make more sense to want to get rid of the tattoo associated with kidnap and torture of not only your people, but one of your closest friends? It's just odd.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:07 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
Her husband goes off and has fights that he has a high chance of not coming back from and Chichi doesn't even take the chance to think of her own happiness and divorce Goku.

While probably not your intention, this seems like a call out for the spouses of police officers, firemen, and soldiers to divorce their loved ones because of their jobs. Chichi married Goku knowing who he was and what he does. Sure, people can regret their choices later, but people who work dangerous jobs should have spouses that accept that risk also. Goku is a world class trouble magnet, but without him, everyone would be dead, and there would be no happiness to be had by anyone.

Chris Handsome wrote:
My pick for worse relationships though goes to Mysterious Girlfriend X. How can you not get sick reading that? And it doesn't ever evolve into anything meaningful anyhow.

Have to disagree with that. Everyone has their thing. That was the price to pay, to be in her life. There are plenty of boys and men, that would do anything to get the girl or woman they like to notice them. Sometimes you just get bowled over by a girl you never noticed before, and then you are just putty in her hands.
chitosyuuyuu

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
I always viewed the moment with Raphtalia choosing to keep the slave tattoo as the most baffling writing decision in the entire series. It functionally does nothing for her but limit her autonomy as a person, but not only that, wouldn't it make more sense to want to get rid of the tattoo associated with kidnap and torture of not only your people, but one of your closest friends? It's just odd.

At that point Naofumi still had trust issues and he was pushing her away, thinking she would leave him after the duel.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:

Just because the anime didn't explain what Naofumi did doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You keep soapboxing on this topic and I think it's time you stop. All you're doing is rehashing the same opinion over and over and shoving it down people's throats. If you don't agree with the list presented then that's great. You don't have to. You're acting though as if it's some cast in stone list that's irrefutable, which is simply ridiculous. You also keep telling people to read the light novels but the title of the article is 5 worst ANIME relationships. It doesn't matter 2 cents what has, or has not, made it over to the anime as this list is based on anime relationships, not manga or light novel relationships. So yes, for you it is in fact time to move on or find something new to add to the conversation.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
Post removed. If you have an issue with how we moderate please follow up via feedback rather than clog up anime discussion threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:27 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

Just because the anime didn't explain what Naofumi did doesn't mean it didn't happen.

You keep soapboxing on this topic and I think it's time you stop. All you're doing is rehashing the same opinion over and over and shoving it down people's throats. If you don't agree with the list presented then that's great. You don't have to. You're acting though as if it's some cast in stone list that's irrefutable, which is simply ridiculous. You also keep telling people to read the light novels but the title of the article is 5 worst ANIME relationships. It doesn't matter 2 cents what has, or has not, made it over to the anime as this list is based on anime relationships, not manga or light novel relationships. So yes, for you it is in fact time to move on or find something new to add to the conversation.

To risk being a little pedantic. Naofumi and Raphtalia aren't in a relationship in the anime so I assumed the novels were being taken into account.

Buuuut yeah, dead horses don't need to be beaten. Wonderful job from the moderators and ANN staff writers for a great article. Might not agree with it but if nothing else the discourse has been... interesting.
BlaséReviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I kinda have to DISagree with the whole "Why SasuSaku/NaruHina not in worsts couple???"
It's been over 5000 bleeping years since Naruto ended and those couples became canon but people are still crying, ranting about it instead of moving over with their lives.

I understand not being fond of a pairing but claiming it deserves to be among the worst relationships of all animes because it's not to your liking doesn't seem fair. The point of this article is to discuss about poorly written romances and dysfunctionnal relationships. I fail to see where exactly NaruHina falls between all that. As do I fail to see how screentime relates to making the ideal partner for the main hero. First things first, Naruto has always been a shonen about action, battles and friendship: romance is in no way mandatory nor does it have to be the primary focus of the series. It doesn't mean there cannot be any romantic relationships and all in all it's all up to the author's discretion: and as far as I can see, he did throw the bases allowing to understand why each couple ended up canon (regarding NaruHina, SasuSaku and ShikaTema at least).
I'm sorry to say it but the less numerous interactions Naruto and Hinata had with each other over time were way more significant in a romantic light than any other relationship for Naruto. How those interactions shaped them and their relationship did more in favour of their development than the time spent together at first.

The following point - you'll be many to dislike what I'm about to say but oh well - is about why this couple was endgame rather than the other and why I think it's for the best, really.
One thing that has always irked me to no end with this fanbase is how the double standards, selective obliviousness, selective reading and mindless bashing (pick any if not all) have always been strong within it. To me, people acting like this are way more problematic and toxic than a couple!
No matter how many years it's been, Sakura is always remembered for the past wrongdoings of her 12 years old self, as if people were perfect and knew better at that age. Despite her having developped a lot since, people seem to only remember the way she was at the beginning because it gives them more reasons to hate on her, perhaps? If it helps you sleep at night, good for you guys. However no matter what you think or say, Sakura stopped having a shallow crush on Sasuke since the Death Forest Arc - that is around 1/7 of the whole manga - as she realized how flawed he really was as a person but cared for his wellbeing anyway and started developping genuine feelings for him all the while. The fact she still loved the same person from the beginning to the end doesn't mean her crush didn't develop: it did and I prefer seeing this instead of the same tried old cliché of the perfect guy she idolizes and crushes on before truly falling in love with the other guy. People wanted something so obvious and on-the-nose like this to happen to Sakura so they could say that she "really matured". But human beings can have immature feelings for a person that then turn into love for said person. I don't know, maybe it's due to a lack of reading skills if anything else that people didn't notice/denied this growth. As was the whole debacle over NaruSaku whereas it being a red herring reeked of it hundreds miles away. I mean it was obvious: their "serious moments" were always downplayed by Naruto acting goofy or trying to make a move on Sakura, which always ended badly for him. These scenes always ever had a comic relief feel to them. And while their relationship developped too, they grew as partners only in a platonic way: there was a strong sense of comraderie and mutual support between them, but nothing in the romantic department. Naruto often acted like he was Sakura's annoying younger brother, understood him better and she viewed him as a very close friend but she never fell for him. As for Naruto, his so-called feelings for her mostly were used for the sake of rapid-fire comedy, weren't that strong as they vanished with time, him realizing that she only ever loved one person no matter what, plus his relationship with Hinata was more meaningful in a romantic sense. In my view, NaruSaku was the pairing where one person had a one-sided love and acted long after like a schoolboy with a crush. Studiot Pierrot did try to push for more moments between Naruto and Sakura and force it in the most painful ways while they weren't asked to in the first place. They should first try to get a better grasp of the characters they write about before adding their own contents and do some favours for a pairing that could also be argued lacks chemistry whatsoever.

The way I see it, people are just pissed that their wish didn't come true because Sakura supposedly "kept crushing on the bad boy". But also because the guy she loved and who according to them "never showed he cared for her" did return her feelings in the end. Like he isn't more nuanced and hasn't ever demonstrated he worried and cared for her too. You chose to belive that was doomed but it wasn't the case: they protected each other multiple times and were ready to die for each other. Sasuke's feelings for Sakura did develop too as she came to be one of his closest persons before he eventually begins reciprocating her feelings once he finally lost all desire for revenge.
Some say they are upset surely because they were oh so persuaded that the whole Sasuke situation was hopeless and that the murder attempts would cause her to fall out of love, calling it abusive while obviously using terms they know nothing about as those occured when they were fighting each other as shinobi. Thus this can't be labelled as such since no relationship was established. Perfectly logic... Surprisingly when Naruto also pursues Sasuke and wants to redeem him, he mostly tends to get away with it scott free. I don't know what was so shocking with Sasuke and Sakura becoming a couple: from the beginning, Naruto has always followed the tropes of its genre and there exists similar stories where former enemies become allies to the hero, then close friends and some characters within the group can end with said former enemies because there might have been circumstances for them opposing each other in the past and there also is more to the person. What's more in Sasuke's case, it's not merely a former foe befriending the main heroes afterwards: they happen to have a pre-existing relationship built before becoming enemies, so that's one more reason to being allies with him. The series has also always been about forgiveness so if you understood that plus what you might find while reading/watching it, I honestly have no clue about why you picked it up to begin with and complain about it doing what it's always done!
As for the message it sends about love, maybe people will read it like this if they didn't understand a single thing too! Whereas what they want to pass on is that if there's some hope, persevere and it might come true. Sakura held on to some hope since before leaving Sasuke at least showed her he appreciated what she was trying to do for him and while the focus was placed more on Naruto's friendship with him than Sakura's love for him, it did pay off for her in the end. I'd say it's better than "Get with the guy that likes you even if you end up never developping true feelings for him. Ignore the way you feel, he did so much for you so you owe him like some sort of prize!".

Last edited by BlaséReviewer on Fri May 29, 2020 6:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This list is CORRECT imho except I can't say anything about #1 because I haven't properly watched the show yet.

But their interaction does seem cute.

One ship I [expletive] hate that nobody else seems to is ChiixHideki.

Does nobody see a gross power imbalance here? She's so immature; she might as well be five years old, mentally. It feels groom-ish to me...then again she's not human but still....CLAMP wrote her to be that way and it's creepy.

Others I [expletive] hate:

SoubixRitsuka. ARREST. HIM. CRADLE-ROBBING PERV. Stop molesting the abused child! There's a right way and a wrong way to handle age gap ships this is the wrong way.

ChikanexHimeko. You know why. All I do is bitch about them lol

KanamexYuuki. Yuck

The main ship in Kyou Kara Koi Hajimemasu. It is so grossly abusive.

SatouxShio. Like....EW. Luckily the author was aware of this and gave the proper ending.

AkanexRanma He's better off with literally ANY other girl in the show but nooooooo.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
This list is CORRECT imho except I can't say anything about #1 because I haven't properly watched the show yet.

But their interaction does seem cute.

One ship I [expletive] hate that nobody else seems to is ChiixHideki.

Does nobody see a gross power imbalance here? She's so immature; she might as well be five years old, mentally. It feels groom-ish to me...then again she's not human but still....CLAMP wrote her to be that way and it's creepy.

Others I [expletive] hate:

SoubixRitsuka. ARREST. HIM. CRADLE-ROBBING PERV. Stop molesting the abused child! There's a right way and a wrong way to handle age gap ships this is the wrong way.

ChikanexHimeko. You know why. All I do is bitch about them lol

KanamexYuuki. Yuck

The main ship in Kyou Kara Koi Hajimemasu. It is so grossly abusive.

SatouxShio. Like....EW. Luckily the author was aware of this and gave the proper ending.

AkanexRanma He's better off with literally ANY other girl in the show but nooooooo.

I think the only one of those I have seen is Happy Sugar Life - and everything about that show is supposed to be disturbing. The anime may actually have a happier ending than the manga - in the anime you can think that, free of all her abusers, little Shio has a chance (however slim) at a normal life. In the manga, the author outright states that Shio is doomed to become Satou when she gets older and continue the cycle of abuse.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:

I think the only one of those I have seen is Happy Sugar Life - and everything about that show is supposed to be disturbing.

Oh I know it is...but what bothers me is people unironically ship that. Shocked Confused I mean...wtf? xD
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 pm Reply with quote
BlaséReviewer wrote:
Some say they are upset surely because they were oh so persuaded that the whole Sasuke situation was hopeless and that the murder attempts would cause her to fall out of love, calling it abusive while obviously using terms they know nothing about as those occured when they were fighting each other as shinobi.

You are right, that anime loves extreme levels of forgiveness. Want to commit genocide, murder my family and everyone else in the world. We forgive you in the name of friendship.
Yeah. (Sadly, I am not even joking, this actually happened)

If it was just a normal clan conflict, you would be right. Enemies can be friends after the war was over. But this was not a normal clan conflict, it was something much more monstrous. That Sasuke willingly chose to participate in. We really shouldn't even give a thought to Sasuke, he is not worth even a tear. I just feel pity and sadness for Sakura.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9