• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Claymore Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
It just seems to me like I'm hearing the same ten actors or so in most of Funi's stuff (ADV is far worse in that department though) so I thought I'd inquire on how big exactly the pool of ladies was.
Not to sound like a jerk but the Japanese VAs for this series aren't exactly neophytes themselves. While there is more overall variety in the Japanese dub, because their studios are closer together and thus it's easier for actors to move about, it's not fair to attack the English dub over using the same actors over and over. Besides, Funi hired a number of new VAs not too long ago and they've been using some of their lesser known ones in more prominent roles lately.

Sure, you've still got the "big names" in the big series, but that's to be expected since, much like bigger names in the Japanese scene, the big VAs over here do have followings. (Though I don't think it's quite as strong as with the Japanese.)

Besides, isn't the most important thing that the voices and acting compliment the character? Who cares if we've heard the VA a thousand times before so long as they are the right choice for the roll?

It's not an attack, but simply an observation and a bit of exaggeration at that. Not to mention you're taking my words out of context. Also, you're preaching to the choir my friend. Smile

Who does what doesn't really matter to me as long as the same VA isn't voicing like 3 or 4 roles in the same series like in Naruto or Bleach, (that is the issue here not the other thing. You're jumping at shadows there without following the rest of the conversation in previous posts) only then does it annoy me slightly (it's understandable since the cast lists are immense). I like being able to pick out voices actually, but I'm pretty good at it so when I hear Johny Bosh voice like 3 people in Naruto it's kind of disorienting sometimes hearing what is in my mind as the Chounin exam finals Proctor play somebody else even if they try to alter their voice. What I was concerned with, is if Funi had a small selection of women like my ear tells me, then there might be lots of that doubling and trippling of roles going on since Claymore's major cast is like 90% women unless they get more help from ADV like they've done previously. Both studios tend to share actors once in while so it's possible. That's all I'm saying.
edzieba

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese VAs, whilst mostly the same talent as other shows (i.e. not really any new names), are using significantly different voices than sual. It took me till halfway through my second viewing to notice that Clare's VA and Isako's (Amasawa Yoko, Dennou Coil) VA are one and the same (Houko Kuwashima). And I'm usually pretty good at VA bingo.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
When the last volume of the anime comes out, I will be sure to be the one to review it so I can explain again why the last few episodes don't suck (well, okay, the action is ridiculous but the rest of the content isn't) and actually provide a proper round-out to the series. Sheesh, I get tired of hearing people rag on them.

I'm happy to hear this. The final episodes themselves certainly weren't as great as the first 20 or so, but they surely did not suck. My response to GATSU's post a few pages back touched on this a little.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Funimation recently got into blu-ray,which is good too.I want to see a good DVD release from Funimation that can beat the h.264 fansubs.

Ah yes, FUNi releasing Claymore in Blu-ray would be a nice incentive to finally get a Blu-ray player. I've been eying one of those for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kajin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
all i can say is "Hooray!"
about damn time i can own it on DVD
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I do wish they'd announce some smaller shows too though.  I love the Claymore manga, I'll buy the anime, but as much as blood with babes appeals to me, I'm more of a niche kind of guy.

Claymore is the kind of major-name, nearly guaranteed profit-leader that companies like FUNi acquire to allow themselves to finance titles less likely to be hits - like Black Blood Brothers, for instance. (Honestly, I don't know what they saw in that show.) Of course, FUNi has never had much of a reputation for going after niche titles, either. 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:29 pm Reply with quote
That's true, though their library of titles contains a far larger variety of genres than it used to in the old days of Funi's origin where all they liscensed were shounen so they've come a long way. Now they have mecha, sci-fi, action,horror, romance, harem, and even a little shoujo. Pretty well rounded I'd say.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7