• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Mission Critical

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dblitzer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Since no fan is obligated to watch crappy Anime, I would rather have a season with lots of crappy shows but lots of good shows too over a season with lots of middling shows but nothing really standout (in a good way or a bad way).

See, in five years' time few people will remember all of the crappy shows, instead they'll look back fondly at a season with lots of good shows. Long-term it's lots of pleasure, little pain. That's why I'd rather have that sort of season than the other one, where everything is a straight "meh".

I think this is sort of what's causing the confusion though. For those who are more interested in the level of quality in a big picture general sense, to make a judgement that a season is bad because no show is particularly great (or perhaps in more subjective terms no show that season personally appeals regardless of the quality of the show to the person making that claim) seems really off

not that i necessarily disagree with you, I personally would rather have one show be amazing for me each week i watch it, but merely that every time someone asserts "this season is the worst" based off if there are one or two amazing shows, or shows that personally appeal to the person making the statement, it's not surprising that quite a few people who are taking it as a more general observation are going to take issue with such an assessment

EDIT: I also am amused by this episodes rundown, "58:20 The otaku rejection of 'show, don't tell' " Because clearly it should be stated that anyone who may not be so rah-rah for showing and not telling is a baseless horrible otaku, tsk tsk
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I think Winter 2011-12 is much weaker than Winter 2010-11, but I don't think it's a bad season overall. It has a lot of middling shows that I don't mind watching and that show some promise. And anyway, 2011 was a pretty good year for Anime, even if you take out Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Usagi Drop. You can't expect every year to be as good as or better than the last.

All I was stating is that I would rather have a season with lots of shows both good and bad instead of a season with just lots of middling ones. In the latter there is nothing to truly inspire or repulse me, while in the former I can safely ignore the lower-end shows and focus on all of the great shows at the top.

It's my opinion, a personal preference. I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting to limit the crap. It's just that I don't see why you can't avoid watching it when it is airing and merely focus on the stuff that really makes you glad to be a fan. Me, I'm not in Anime to watch mediocre shows, even though I do each and every season. I'll gladly take one RAINBOW over ten Kaze no Stigmas. It is the top stuff that sticks in my mind and that I really remember back on fondly.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I know that you know what I meant, so all I can say is keep trolling, it just makes you look even worse.

All I know is that you're slowly trying to shift away from "good" and sneak in terms like "mediocre" and "middling" into this conversation because it fits the point you are trying to make better.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Since no fan is obligated to watch crappy Anime, I would rather have a season with lots of crappy shows but lots of good shows too over a season with lots of middling shows but nothing really standout (in a good way or a bad way).

You'd rather have a season with lots of crappy shows over a season with lots of good ones. Now that's an odd argument.

Oh, I disagree: repeating what the other person did not say is an all-too-common argument. Its not odd at all.

In the passage that you quoted in your own comment, dtm42 expressed a preference for a season with more bad and more good shows over a season with fewer bad and fewer good shows ~ not a preference for a season with more bad shows over a season with more good shows. Whether or not dtm42 had pushed the goalposts, you were mis-stating the passage you quoted.

Suppose there are 10 shows: is it better to have 1 A, 4 Bs, 1 C, 4Ds and 1F, or 0 As, 1B, 8Cs, 1D and 0Fs? Somebody who watches and enjoys a "C" show might well prefer the second, which gives them 9 series to watch and enjoy instead of 6, and somebody who skips Cs except in their favorite genre might prefer the first, which gives them 5 series to watch instead of 1.

As for myself, three series that I'm going to follow keeps me in a season and likely watching other things besides, and between Chihaya Furu, Miniskirt Space Pirates, and Knight in the Area, I reckon I got that. So I'm happy enough with the season. Whether it will be a season to remember ten years from now ~ I may be dead or senile ten years from now, so I'm not sure that I much care about the "long term, looking back" perspective.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh, I disagree: repeating what the other person did not say is an all-too-common argument. Its not odd at all.

As what you just did. I at least try to keep single paragraphs or general thoughts in context. I hinted at his moving of the goalposts in the comment you've misquoted.

Now I've only quoted that bit because that was the most relevant part of your comment to me. I have no interest in the rest of what you've said nor am I going to subject myself to your brand of misinterpretations and strawmanning.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

As what you just did. I at least try to keep single paragraphs or general thoughts in context. I hinted at his moving of the goalposts in the comment you've misquoted.

Now I've only quoted that bit because that was the most relevant part of your comment to me. I have no interest in the rest of what you've said nor am I going to subject myself to your brand of misinterpretations and strawmanning.

No, you were misquoting dtm42 to twist his words in a ridiculous direction, and he's far from the only one who noticed. Stop going out of your way to antagonize him.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to agree with what other have said here. I really don't know why you'd care about the bad shows. These are the shows you simply don't watch so at the end of the day they really don't impact you at all. Now, I can see where if you're the type of person who likes to watch over a dozen shows every season then you might prefer a season that's primarily mediocre rather than 50/50 good and bad. With the prior, at least you've got plenty of watchable shows to watch even if less are especially good. For me though, someone who really just wants to watch good shows and doesn't care about quantity, then a season with lots of good, regardless of the bad or mediocre, is going to be the best.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

No, you were misquoting dtm42 to twist his words in a ridiculous direction, and he's far from the only one who noticed. Stop going out of your way to antagonize him.

I did not misquote and I followed up with the reason why I thought his comment felt odd.

As far as antagonizing goes I take more issue with being called a troll on multiple occasions(after almost all my posts since returning in December) just because I happen to disagree with dtm42. But I guess we see what we want to see.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

I was addressing the fact that you quite grossly distorted the straightforward meaning of what dtm42 said. So I quoted the quote and then the following distortion.

And yes, I know that you were trying to claim that what dtm42 had said that was odd. I apologize for being snarky in that part of my comment, "misreading" the "odd" as self-referential.

Indeed, the truly odd thing is quoting what he had actually written and then placing such a gross distortion directly beneath it, since it makes the distortion stand out like a sore thumb ... perhaps you misread it the first time?

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I did not misquote and I followed up with the reason why I thought his comment felt odd.
No, you did not misquote. However, your description of what he said directly contradicted the comment that you had just quoted.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:12 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I'll get to the central discussion topic later, but for now...

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I didn't imply informative narratives were needed to set a mood. I've only said that informative narratives logically fit pretty damn well at the very beginning of a new series.

I would have to agree, particularly when we're talking about the type of opening narrative that usually takes no more than one or two minutes at most during the first episode of any given series and is then often reduced to either literally nothing or, as an alternative, less than thirty seconds in subsequent episodes. I find those quite inoffensive myself.

Crest of the Stars, which was praised during the podcast, actually had quite a few of those opening narratives of varying length in addition to other instances where the exposition was provided in a more "natural" manner during the course of an episode. The thing is, it didn't exclusively resort to either method but combined the two.

I understand that "show, not tell" is usually a better option in the long run and Redline itself did not need more exposition, but I don't find any and all instances of "telling" to be inherently boring or offensive even if they're not particularly special or innovative. To be honest, I'm clearly not demanding more exposition but can certainly tolerate it.

In the end, we should accept that there's a lot of room for balance and stylistic or personal preferences in this matter. Especially when we're not talking about over five or ten minutes of pure exposition without any character actions or interactions, which is surely excessive, but about far less offending instances.

If anything though, I arguably prefer that previously mentioned crutch to the way the initial episode of Horizon did its exposition, by dumping all the historical information not at the beginning but during the ending credits. Now that's what I'd call truly unnatural. Wink

it looks like ANN people just don't like people who like info dumping.
Why can't they accept some people like info dump? It looks like wanted people to agree with them. You can like your Redline and your so call "good story writing" We can like our TypeMoon story writing.

I don't even care if they don't like Fate Zero because of the info dump. I don't like Redline, but I don't even post any response on the Redline review either.

The thing is if they write review based on opinion like I don't like info dump, so I will give this low score. Then they shouldn't have any problem on people give a show low score because the show doesn't has info dump. I don't like chihayafuru because the show doesn't explain to me on how the game works. It maybe a great show for people who understand it, but I don't understand.
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
The writers don't appear to have a basic idea of how physics works, and they also haven't thought out social norms of the society they are depicting.

The lack or reduction of gravity doesn't suddenly make the articles of clothing people are wearing to change in form and reveal what they are designed to cover. Objects at rest...is pretty basic physics. It is also plausible that the inhabitants of this futuristic story have designed clothing that completely retain their original form.

That is the first thing I thought when the whole skirt thing was mentioned. Also even though I haven't seen it yet I'm pretty sure just like 99.99% of all science fiction out there, Bodacious Space Pirates has ever bigger scientific errors then skirts not floating up.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Let me make something clear:

Manyu Hikencho and Queen's Blade are basically twins of one another! They put their boobs up front,frequently and honestly, and there's nothing much more to them. I've watched a few episodes of each, and I don't know how one is more worth watching than another.

I didn't get Theron Martin's point on these shows. If you like gratuitous nudity involving large breasts, I think you'd take both shows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Let me make something clear:

Manyu Hikencho and Queen's Blade are basically twins of one another! They put their boobs up front,frequently and honestly, and there's nothing much more to them. I've watched a few episodes of each, and I don't know how one is more worth watching than another.

I didn't get Theron Martin's point on these shows. If you like gratuitous nudity involving large breasts, I think you'd take both shows.

Except the boobies in Manyu Hikencho can get very nasty and kills the titillation factor unlike Queen's Blade.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Sooooo, when the acid spitting girl in Queens Blade had her breasts expand so much that they exploded, that wasn't too big a size?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8