• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hip hop music in animes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e[LP]e

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:02 pm Reply with quote
This idea came up to me when I was eating pizza backwards Laughing .
Joke aside, I would really like to know about your opinions of hip hop in general(not just about Eminem) and would it be good to implement in anime soundtracks.
I know i'm a newbie n00b around here, but can enyone be helpfull to tell me if this kind of music has allready been implemeted in anime before, so I would humbly ask for the name of the anime.
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:03 pm Reply with quote
EMINEM?!? WHERE?!? lol ahem anyways im not sure if there has been any but yeah that would definatley be cool ^^ but then it would make it harder to find sheet music for piano on it lol
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:54 pm Reply with quote
well. i'm not really a big fan of this "hip hop" and/or "rap". "but"...i dunno, it'd have to be well placed and used in an anime that it's appropriate for. i mean, there's light fluttery music in anime like "a little snow fairy sugar" *points to avatar*, and there's jazz...and a mix of a whole lot of stuff for cowboy bebop...i don't really know where it could fit it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, Initial D's opening and ending themes made excellent use of rap in the songs "Around the World" (opening theme #1, First Stage) and "Rage Your Dream" (ending theme #1, First Stage). It's actually interesting to hear Japanese Rap. Very curious and kind of catchy since it's more like Grandmaster Flash/Run DMC era rap.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah, hip hop in anime. There is a song in GTO called "Last Piece" by Kirari that has a hip hop feel to it. It was the ending song for the first 16 episodes and it was pretty good. Also in Kodomo No Omocha (Kodocha), the main character broke into a rap in one of the episodes that I saw. It was pretty funny. There are more but those are the ones off the top of my head that I remember really liking.

To answer your other question, I love hip hop. As for using it in anime soundtracks, it depends on the show. Will it fit what type of mood you are trying to establish? For example, for shows like GTO and Initial D, it would work. For shows like Gundam SEED, no.

Basically, it's like any other type of music. You have to pair it with something that it would fit with.
Zoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Well, Initial D's opening and ending themes made excellent use of rap in the songs "Around the World" (opening theme #1, First Stage) and "Rage Your Dream" (ending theme #1, First Stage). It's actually interesting to hear Japanese Rap. Very curious and kind of catchy since it's more like Grandmaster Flash/Run DMC era rap.

move isn't exactly typical mainstream Japanese rap. Most of the stuff over there sounds just like it does in the US.
Yoshball

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:13 am Reply with quote
Rap is not rap without lyrics and anime series don't usually lyrics as background music...it's distracting. Some hip-hop or r&b beats would be cool
Bell02

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:34 am Reply with quote
There has been losts of hip hop bmg (though I think it's kind of generic) and rap songs in anime. I don't feel like thinking too much but off the top of my head FFU's second ending was kind of like rap-jpop fusion.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:44 am Reply with quote
Hmm, GTO's Kirari is definitely *not* hip hop. It's pretty straight-forward JPop, even with the heavy bass beat.

However, if you're looking for hip hop in anime, you should definitely check out the background music for Infinite Ryvius. Not all of the tracks are hip hop, of course, but a large chunk of it is (the eyecatch themes really capture that).
mikazuki-linlin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:25 am Reply with quote
I`m personally a very big hip-hop fan, of both American, and Japanese type. I was wondering the same thing as you one time. There really haven`t been any anime with like, a real hip-hop feel and soundtrack to them, but I think it would work really well... if only there were something. I think it really is just a matter of time though!
e[LP]e

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:19 pm Reply with quote
That I think so too.
It's getting more and more popular (though I hate to say Eminem had enything to do with it, but ironicly it's true)
I agree, Hip hop wouldn't fit in too much action-tipe animes.
I think it would fit into a more of a emotional and realizem type.
InSeRtNaMeHeRe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:10 pm Reply with quote
*twitch* stop saying eminem! *twitch* im the most obsessed eminem fan ever and i might explode with random eminem facts but anyway i think his songs could fit into sum shows newun ever heard the song kim?? very violent (yet he sounds very sexy on it!) i dunno it might fit in akira or sumthing like that lol...eminem's shoe size is 10 1/2! oops sorry slipped thru the cracks lol ^^;
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:37 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Hmm, GTO's Kirari is definitely *not* hip hop. It's pretty straight-forward JPop, even with the heavy bass beat.
Ah, but it is the bass beat that gives it the hip hop "feel" that I was talking about. In fact, it was almost New Jack Swing in tone as it reminded me of an old song by a group named Guy.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:28 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Ah, but it is the bass beat that gives it the hip hop "feel" that I was talking about. In fact, it was almost New Jack Swing in tone as it reminded me of an old song by a group named Guy.

Ah, my fellow Coloradoan, you need to brush up on your definition of hip hop.
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:27 pm Reply with quote
That would be interesting, just so long as it doesn't involve some series about some guy trying to be a rapper, as I'm getting somewhat tired of the "Person trying to be a _________ and follow his dreams" anime. It's an overused plot formula. I think that'd be a cool idea, though. I'm a hip-hop fan as well*coughJaRulecough* *prepares to be killed by the Eminem fan* and I think it might be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2