• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Butler: Public School Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 9:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly Ciel's complete refusal to actually engage with Cricket as more than a means to an end is so [expletive] funny, the shit (pun unintended) he has put his schoolmates through for the sake of this bloody plan is deranged, I love it
yeehaw

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Everyone involved in animating the "shitgasm", as my friend called it, needs to go to jail specifically for putting me through that.
I found it relly funny that Ciel's plan once they saw the headmaster was just to get him
I thought there'd be an elaborate plan but I guess sometimes simple is best
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'd say Black Butler's sense of humour is one of its strongest points, and I'd argue it shines best whenever the story dips its toes into other genres for a bit, or in this case, into sports anime.

Sadly, the animation and direction have really taken a dive these past couple of episodes. I particularly didn't like how rushed the match against Red House felt, or how little moments like Edward's flashback didn't get the focus they deserved. But more importantly, I just wish the staff could've given us a truly over-the-top presentation worthy of a sports anime mini arc.

Also, I know Rebecca said she didn't find the cricket tournament that interesting, but I personally loved seeing all the devious plans Blue House came up with to outsmart its opponents. I laughed out loud when Greenhill hit Ciel in the head and Ciel started screaming. That little shit Laughing
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Sebastian just went to the apothecary and bought some modern day laxatives
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah, there's the female fanservice! Been holding out on us given the setting...

All the engrish special moves...taking one for the team...the true meaning of sportmanship...most epic cricket game ever.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
I liked the little detail of Francis being the only one who didn't join in the applause when Ciel won the match. She must've been very familiar with Vincent's dirty tricks, and she knows Ciel didn't fall far from tree.

I could've done without that minute-long explanation of Ciel's final trick though.

The parade and afterparty were really cute. I'm a fan of those scenes where we get a glimpse of Ciel's vulnerable side, like when we see the wonder in his eyes during the fireworks.

Something that caught my attention was that Phipps seemed to have a chicken randomly sitting on his shoulder? What was that about? Laughing

EDIT: After a quick google search, it turns out the chicken was a nod to an earlier chapter that didn't make it into the anime.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Everlasting Coconut wrote:
The parade and afterparty were really cute. I'm a fan of those scenes where we get a glimpse of Ciel's vulnerable side, like when we see the wonder in his eyes during the fireworks.

I also really liked that, it's a nice glimpse into what the poor kid would be like if his life was normal.

Can anyone fill me in on some characters? There was a red-haired lady among Ciel's friends and family who I don't remember, the two white men next to the queen I vaguely remember but I've only read the manga up to vol 13 once and that was many years ago
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Ciel is cynical and a perpetual downer but even he can respect sincerity and find beauty in things.

This arc is now heading into a pivotal point as Ciel directly confronts the mystery head on with a surprise twist.
yeehaw wrote:
Can anyone fill me in on some characters? There was a red-haired lady among Ciel's friends and family who I don't remember, the two white men next to the queen I vaguely remember but I've only read the manga up to vol 13 once and that was many years ago

Are you referring to Meyrin? She's the clumsy maid who has a crush on Sebastian and is also a lethal sniper.

The Two Charles' are the Queens' enforces.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been watching, so I totally didn't realize this was the school arc from like 10 years ago in the manga. I thought the anime was way further for some reason. Shocked
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 5:24 pm Reply with quote
The Headmaster's being Undertaker certainly reframes things. Depending on his endgame, it didn't matter what Ciel did, he would either have definitely been invited to the Midnight Tea Party, or definitely never been invited, since Undertaker knew who he and Sebastian were all along. Apparently he wants them to know what's going on...or he just wanted to play with them again. Is that confidence that he can accomplish his goal regardless, or is he hoping they'll stop him (while being his excuse for failure)?
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Redmond really sucks at picking fags huh? If he had a penny he'd have two pennies etc etc.
I wonder if Derrick did something else along with the bullying, because as bad as that is I feel like maybe murder is a bit drastic. If not Maurice is in danger.
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:45 pm Reply with quote
yeehaw wrote:
Redmond really sucks at picking fags huh? If he had a penny he'd have two pennies etc etc.

It was also his idea to resurrect the students they killed. Seems like a guy with bad judgment all around!
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Kamiya Hiroshi coming in at the very end of the episode like that got me goooooooood LOL. Never imagined he would be cast in Kuroshitsuji but I welcome it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Guess there is another episode of closure? Or they will leave it open until the producer decides to adapt the next arc or something
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Black Butler is more often than not shows that people, even good people who start out with good intentions or because they care too much, can become twisted and commit themselves to sin for the sake of their ideals or because they feel they have no other choice. Like here with the P4 where they felt the only way to preserve the integrity of their institution was to commit cold-blooded murder and a cover-up. And it always ends up entertaining these darkly cosmic beings.

It's kind of funny how Ciel of all people is going "these dudes are nuts to kill people over a schools' reputation."

I really have to wonder how the actual Head Master would have reacted to this had he been there.

I guess justice was served in the end. Derrick Arden is dead, even though he deserved it, and his killers escaped a prison sentence but were kicked out of the very school they sought to protect. And their drudge's now inherit their position but can't enjoy it.

And Ciel, being Ciel, is back home and putting yet another experience and the people he met along the way behind him...with Sebastian turning that memory into a new sweet.

Don't go your filler route, Victoria. Though it seems like now they'll have to keep the Undertaker's reanimation project away from the Queen...which will probably get them in even more trouble.
crosswithyou wrote:
Kamiya Hiroshi coming in at the very end of the episode like that got me goooooooood LOL. Never imagined he would be cast in Kuroshitsuji but I welcome it.

He was the perfect choice and fits generation-wise with the rest of the cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3