• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu Yu Hakusho Card Goes for $938 on E-Bay

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm too much of a fiscal conservative to appreciate such a purchase when it seems that this card game will be dead not long after (or even before) all the episodes of YYH get shown. Any purchase I make over $200 I make sure is either necessary (i.e., new Parametric Modeling software) or will last for at LEAST five years. But if $938 looks like $.938 in this guy's checkbook, then I'm more OK with it. It may disgust me, but at least it's not my tax dollars or something...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Whoever brought it was either some adult/older teen who likes card games, or a reaaallllly spoiled kid.

BTW, the card games for Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and the like are probably a fad for most people(yup, a whole lot less people are playing Pokemon now then about 3 years ago,) but not everyone. I know of a lot of people who got into it not because it was a fad, but because they were interested in the game itself. I'm 18, and one of those people. Razz I got into the game about four years ago and have since spent more then $300 on it, also I've played some Yu-Gi-Oh and DBZ. I probably won't try YYH though, considering it's probably just trying to live off the sucess of Pokemon and previous anime trading card games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I still have a ton of Animayhem Cards. Anyone else remember that CCG.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it's not so much the card itself, but the fact that the card was signed that makes it important to the person.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Shorty22 wrote:
Perhaps it's not so much the card itself, but the fact that the card was signed that makes it important to the person.

Could be, but the creator didn't exactly invent a ground-breaking card game that will last for ages, just another entry into CCGs based off an anime.

Nagisa wrote:
this is just a cookie-cutter card game tied to a moderately successful franchise with a dumbed down rule structure lifted from older, better quality games of a similar type.

From what I've read of this, the game structure isn't all that different from the DBZ CCG. I used to play that all the time, but found that the game's intelligence went only so far. In other words, you could only create plays and situations to a certain level of intelligence and cunning. After that (and if your opponent did the same) it came down to luck of the draw. If it comes to that, why not just play Solitaire or something? But I digress.

Even when I played the game, I knew my cards were worth about $.10 apiece, no matter how rare. Signed or not, it won't be worth anything once the fad is over, and there are only a fraction of the players left. And if they create another super-rare card, plate it in gold and have the creator of YYH sign it, people will forget about the $938 card and go for the new one. Just like the so-called ultra-rares from the first DBZ CCG saga depreciate in value every time a new saga comes out, so will this card. But if the person has money to burn, far be it from me to keep them from a $938 piece of paper with (IMO) an average guy's signature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:12 am Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
I still have a ton of Animayhem Cards. Anyone else remember that CCG.

Now THAT was a great CCG. Maybe a bit ahead of its time though. I wonder who still has the rights to it, as it would be a perfect product for today's market I think.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:28 am Reply with quote
It takes a lot for me to break out from just browsing a site to actually post something, and this thread has broken that fine barrier.

For people who care I'm Matthew Low from Pojo.com. I write for the DBZCCG section, and hence I'm closely associated with that game and other things Score does. This does include the YuYu Hakusho TCG, and hence I'm just here to put out my perspective on things, as well as point out some inconsistencies in the posts you guys have.

First off, The Dark One is an amazing card. 7000 Defense value is not matched by any character in the current environment for face value; sure you can play Zeru with the Rokuyukai Team Bonus and whatnot, but for face value this guy has it all. He has a free attack doing 6000 with a hand disruption side effect. What the heck. There's no character that comes close to that. Thus this guy can swing for a point of damage generally every turn on average.
His effect is nothing to ignore either; minimum damage might of been the best way to hurt him, but that's not going to happen.
Now the second attack is the funny one. Score Employees are the only ones who can use this to its full potential, but they cannot play in tournaments anyway. It's for gunslinging decks, for people like IQ (Israel Quiroz) to turn any card into "Go buy me a soda." Seriously. The card is for kicks and laughs; I'd like to see what Aik or IQ or Josh or Adam or whoever I gunsling against and see what they make me do. I mean sure they could just turn a card into "You win the game" but they gunsling to have fun as they gain nothing from winning.
To a normal gamer like myself, you can make up some stupid fun combos like Double Teaming on Dark One, or Urameshi Team Bonus with Sacrifice of Life, generating a free attack. Throw an Overwhelming Kill onto the mix and you've generally got a match over and done with.

Now what is my point? The Dark One is a freakishly broke card yes. Worth all $938? Maybe. Gateway is supposed to make this guy not as broken and more even with the playing environment. Currently, there are only two released to the public anyway, so it shouldn't have too much of an effect. For the person who does get it, yes, he does have an advantage. There are just a lot of ways to deal with him, but they also put you in a hole. I mean, you could just take the next best character in the game IMO, Yoko, attach Death Seed/Tree to him and double damage Dark One. You could Call Out The Dark One and Unconcious, therby destroying hopes of Double Teaming. But, regardless, a skilled player with The Dark One could easily abuse him to the max. He could be a stall tool, a combo character, or there just to win an easy match (you must win 3 out of 5 to win the game).

Thing is, there will be people who pay the big bucks for cards. I myself go out of my way to make my decks as good as they can be. There is a fine line between casual gamer and tournament gamer. Right now we don't really know who actually won the thing yet, but I assume once the premier tournaments start up it will show. While winning with cash is lame over winning with pure skill, it's still a game. You've got to look at this in the gamer's perspective as well. If your hobby is to buy multiple anime DVDs and cels and whatnot, all the power to that. I'm a gamer, and I go out of my way to get expensive cards. I don't, however, foolishly spend money on a card that I won't need or I know will lose value later before I need it for a tournament. This card I believe will keep a lot of its value around mainly because of its rarity if anything. Gateway, the next set, will explain a lot, but the pure fact that only a few are in circulation as of now explains a lot.

IQ signed it because the Score employees were told to. Each got 3 copies and were allowed to do whatever they wanted with them. The two in circulation are apparently IQ's, and the third I bet is in his gunslinging bag, ready to order people like me to buy him sodas. IQ signs nearly any card you ask him to anyway; the signatures are there to see who was the original owner I assume.

I'm mainly a DBZ CCG player so I don't know a lot about YuYu TCG; this card has just brought up a lot in the DBZ world because both games are related. Only by company though.

Now to throw down other people's assumptions...
My collection of DBZ is still up there in value. Yes, many cards have lost a lot of value as of late, especially with GKI and the new GT game. Many cards are really expensive at the beginning and then cool off later. Some get a nice refresh like Trunks Guardian Drill, which was brought up to play in many of the Goku Freestyle DB decks. It all depends on what is playable in the current environment. Goku's Truce was a beast back in the day, but now pure commons like Goku's Flight are infinitely better. It is the natural evolution of the game. Some cards like Where There's Life There's Hope are still up there in value; I still sell them for around $50 a pop.
I love the game of DBZ CCG a lot, and I don't plan on giving up on my deck regardless any time in the near future. Sure, to you $938 is a waste, but my deck is worth way more than that to me. Ever person has a value on some things. Mine is more sentimental, but value wise it's up there as well. I could go sell it and make over $1000, but that's the last thing I ever want to do. I can see the owner of The Dark One loving the game enough to want to keep it. I mean, the card is good anyway.

Score is not stupid enough to make a card that wins the game if you play it with no stipulations. The Dark One is one of your starting characters (it better be...), and you can pretty much do what you want. Score reps can have it be a first turn win, but in the game of YuYu, you need to win 3 out of 5 matches. The Dark One can only directly win one (indirectly yes it can win more, hence the combo potential), so while it is good it is not completely broken. That would be the end of the game as we know it if Score was that stupid.

The game structure of YuYu IS different from DBZ. You can argue they the are the same, but then you can argue that all CCGs are the same. All CCGs have luck of the draw. Nothing will ever destroy luck ever, no matter how skilled you are. It can be minimized, but never destroyed.
Now while yes, CCGs can die out, so what? Fun while it lasted. Even if DBZ dies out someday, I will probably sell off most of what I have, but keep my trademark LowAlly.dec because I'm stupid like that. No, just to remember old times and how much fun I had. That's like saying unless whatever you bought you were able to sell for the same amount of money it would be a waste. I know that most of the money I put into the game I might not get back, and I'm perfectly OK with that. I had fun, and entertainment comes with a price.
And yes, cards do lose value. I should know that first hand with all the things I've done. I sometimes care, but that's the natural evolution of everything anyway. Cards are like the stock market in a sense. Some go up, some go down. Some crash. It's the way things go. The signature was supposed to be there anyway. I even have random people ask me to sign an Ultra Rare (why I still haven't figured it out), and that doesn't make it any more expensive.
And yes, Score could make some uber broke card again... that would be scary to think about that... but I doubt that will happen.

And with that, I think I'm done speaking my mind. Keep in mind there are more than one perspective on everything. Gamers do spend the cash if they view that card is what they need to be competitive. Each person has their own opinion. Some people think my hobby of playing card games is a waste, but personally I don't think it is. It is just unique. It's a way of life. Or something to that effect.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you think this is crazy... Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Champion, THE rarest card in the DBZ CCG, is currently on Ebay for $1000 with over 5 days left. I was seriously tempted to bid on that thing when it was nice and low, even with it getting up to around where it is now, but... Score just told us that if they don't get that card back, the CRD (Current Rulings Document) will change that card so that the one legal owner will be the only one who can use the card. Thus it would be pretty stupid to do that now, although it would be hilariously funny to have it. In my own mind though.
For the people who don't know, there is only one legal copy of DBZ Ultimate Champion in existance, and the winner of 2003 Worlds owns it and still does. The one up on Ebay now was apparently stolen from Score HQ, and somehow ended up through a bunch of sources and now in the Netherlands. Score has also said that only one will ever be released, mainly because the card power on the card is just stupid good. No seriously, that card is almost "You win the game" in a nutshell if you aren't stupid when using it.
There's a big controversy going on right now in the DBZ CCG world over this thing... all I can say is whoever does buy it, if Score doesn't get it, that person is going to be one mad person when he finds out that he can't use the card he just bought, in hopes of ending the game as we know it. Score said that only one will ever be released because of the sheer power of the card on the environment, and the owner being a really good player as well.
And I think that the current owner does deserve the card he won anyway, so there's nothing I can take away from him. He did knock me out in Top 8 at Worlds so props to him.
I wonder if there will be a thread on that...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:01 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
(Blah, blah, blah, etc...)

Look Mr. Low, my comments on this card were just for laughs, I didn't mean for anyone to take it seriously. Yes, if that card were to do as I suggested, the game itself would fold itself and be gone along with the company. And yes, it is a lot of money for just 1 card, but I didn't say whoever bought it shouldn't have done so.

As you already said, a lot people take pride and joy into their hobbies. If card gaming is one of them, by all means, go ahead and by the card. I'm not saying whoever bought this is "wasting" their money. I'm sure they know what they're getting and it will help to continue one of their more enjoyable pastimes. Well, I apologize if I angered yuu. Good luck in your future tournaments, then. Smile
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Heh, even I'm not that insane. I haven't bought a card for even close to that much...
I wasn't pointing my post at anyone, I was just pointing out that people have to look at all perspectives before deeming it a waste of money. In a sense it is, and in a sense it is not.

Though I wonder where you got that I was angry because I wasn't...
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
Though I wonder where you got that I was angry because I wasn't...

Well, you used the word "stupid" a lot when referring to the preconceived notions that people might have when not knowing the power of "the card." And since text doesn't really convert speech too well, I probably made an inaccurate assumption about your comments. Sorry Anime catgrin .
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:20 pm Reply with quote
What a waste. If whoever bought it is not hurting for cash, then it's fine. But if it's someone who used their rent and car payment to pay for it, just so he could have a powerful card, then he's a fool. I personally think it's a waste of money, no matter how powerful the card is.
matthewlow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Heh, stupid good means the card is so good it would be stupid not to realize how good it is.

Gamer jargon, don't worry. Wink
Carol Maxwell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:34 am Reply with quote
When there is competition to buy something, people will be willing to pay anything to get said item. That's how a lot of people buy a lot of stuff that is relatively cheap for prices it should never be worth.

On another note, that's how people who wouldn't buy stuff that they wouldn't normally get, but, when it's auctioned off, they go to it like me to pie. Competition is an irresitable force. Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
space clam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
matthewlow wrote:
(Huge post)

I used to play the DBZCCG all the time. (probably already said that, but just for reiteration) I chased after the hugely powerful cards, only to realize that with each expansion came cards more powerful, and the ones I had were of much less value. I didn't mind, because I was basically breaking even on tournament winnings and selling cards. However, it didn't take me long to realize that the only way I could justify spending money on this is if a) I were making (significant) money on this b) I wanted to keep playing until I was 30 c)I would make a living on this. Since it was none of the aforementioned, I sold a bunch of ultra-rares, and managed to break about -$200 from when I started.

matthewlow wrote:
My collection of DBZ is still up there in value. Yes, many cards have lost a lot of value as of late, especially with GKI and the new GT game. Many cards are really expensive at the beginning and then cool off later. Some get a nice refresh like Trunks Guardian Drill, which was brought up to play in many of the Goku Freestyle DB decks. It all depends on what is playable in the current environment. Goku's Truce was a beast back in the day, but now pure commons like Goku's Flight are infinitely better. It is the natural evolution of the game. Some cards like Where There's Life There's Hope are still up there in value; I still sell them for around $50 a pop. I love the game of DBZ CCG a lot, and I don't plan on giving up on my deck regardless any time in the near future. Sure, to you $938 is a waste, but my deck is worth way more than that to me. Ever person has a value on some things. Mine is more sentimental, but value wise it's up there as well. I could go sell it and make over $1000, but that's the last thing I ever want to do. I can see the owner of The Dark One loving the game enough to want to keep it. I mean, the card is good anyway.

Pardon my language, but who in the hell are you still selling WTLTH for $50?! I tried selling off everything right before the Buu Saga came out, and I couldn't get that much then. I think the only money I can get from the rest of my collection is from taking it to the recycling plant. I just find it incredulous that you can still get money for cards like Trunks Guardian Drill when card shops won't buy them, players won't buy them, practically no one in a 300 mile radius will buy them. I guess the Saiyan style must have really fallen off or something, since that's what makes up the majority of my collection. (I thought it was pretty good; I never lost a game with my Saiyan deck, but never got to play in a major tournament [13-14 year old + remote region of VA = nothing more than unofficial tournaments at school/backwater woods and a couple sanctioned tourneys])

If you hope to have an advantage in these CCGs through the use of hugely powerful/rare cards, you constantly must upgrade (much like you would with computer software) I use CAD software all the time, and for those familiar with it, you can better understand why I try to save at every turn. If you're unfamiliar, here's an example: I got a used, but full, version of Autodesk Inventor (5) for $3500. (regularly about $5000) I am close to having to get TurboCAD(9?), and unless I can get some help from school/college/NASA, I won't be buying even manga for a LONG time. If it's $938 for a living; fine, it's a drop in the bucket. If it's $938 for random fun, maybe they can help pay for insane software...
matthewlow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Heh, sir, TGD is still quite widely demanded. I sell them for $50-60, and if I'm desperate and can probably go $45. I actually bailed out a friend in need of money, giving him $201 for FA, 3 GT, 2 TGD, and 1 VD. If I'm desperate I should be able to at least break even, but if I work it correctly I should get a bit of profit.
Yes I seriously sell WTLTHs for $50. It's not that hard. Some people sell them for $40, but I still put a $50 price tag and I had two sales about a month ago.

It's called reputation. People know me in the DBZ world. They know I have next to everything. They know that if they come to me, I'll probably have what they need. I might not want to sell it for a cheap price, but if they offer high enough I might budge and sell it. Key is they can get everything they need from me all at once, at a somewhat decent price, and they have will have 0 problems with ripping.

I make quite a significant amount of money on DBZCCG. Most gets recycled into the game, in terms of plane flights and whatnot, but still. I have fun while doing it, so its all good.

All I can say is... it is the people you know. Ebay is normally my last resort. Otherwise, I sell to quite a few people and make quite a bit of money that way. When you make friends over the net and they know what you have, they'll come to you and help you out.

Oh and yes I constantly upgrade. GT comes out in two short weeks, and I'm looking at a starter box and 2-3 booster boxes right now.

Saiyan is actually one of the best decks now, if not the best. But you quit before Buu Saga, so that's probably the biggest of your problems. Saiyan got a big boost in Buu with the Broly Subset, and Kid Buu gave it Beef, Lurch, Jeering Drill, Handstand, and Acute Rapid Slam, which gives it a lot of interesting options. Saiyan Broly is really good.

If you know your cards and know what you are doing, you might be able to squeeze some money from what you have left. Of course, it all depends what you have left as well. Patient sellers work best though; I bide my time and sometimes wait for the best prices if I know I can get them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3