• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ride Back (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jel123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Did you notice that the "Next Episode" preview was spoiler[a silent retrospective on Suzuri (who had always partly narrated them)] rather than show actual preview clips? That leaves no hints about the directions the final two episodes will take.

I thought the spoiler[memorial in place of the preview] was a little over the top. If they just silently showed next weeks preview it would have been just as fitting without preying on our emotions to the same extent. But, yeah, they may have been using it to keep from giving away anything from the upcoming episode.

Key wrote:
I will also be curious to see how they wrap this up in a mere two episodes, since the story seems to be set up for a more gradual pace than that - and while I, too, wouldn't mind seeing more Ride Back action, I don't mind the pace. They are trying to build Rin into a role rather than just dropping her into it (as so often happens in series like this), and I respect the series for that.

I would be fine with an ending that leaves us hanging somewhat. Not a cliffhanger per se (I hate those) but clean up some of the loose ends while leaving a little hope for a second series/OVA.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

spoiler[Well, Oakura's gone off with Kiefer to assault the GGP. Rin also seemed to get over her issues with some help from Tomoyo. Just in time too as if she hadn't decided to stay in the city the two of them would have both died along with the helicopter. However, this put them in the position to fight back and escape.]

I'm looking forward to seeing spoiler[Rin and Tomoyo make street pizza out of the people pursuing them. Sure hope RBZ has Goblin for an OS though, otherwise Tomoyo might be in trouble.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:20 am Reply with quote
I feel stupid even asking this question but this is driving me nuts...what channel are you people watching this series? I checked the Encyclopedia and it seems to be playing only in Japan.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I feel stupid even asking this question but this is driving me nuts...what channel are you people watching this series? I checked the Encyclopedia and it seems to be playing only in Japan.

In a word: fansubs.

About episode 11: spoiler[I think we all felt that the series was, in some way, building towards a situation where Rin would have to (or want to) take the initiative and go into action, and I'm actually not disappointed that it took until the end of the penultimate episode to get to that point. It makes the series as much about her coming to terms with the changes in her life as it is about the Ride Backs, so her ultimate decision to go down this path actually makes sense in this case.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:42 am Reply with quote
Ah. For a second there, I thought you all had access to a mystical N.A. channel that was carrying first run Japanese product.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah. For a second there, I thought you all had access to a mystical N.A. channel that was carrying first run Japanese product.

Allow me to somewhat educate you on a fact of modern Anime life; there exist not just fansubs, but online streams that run concurrently (or near enough) with the actual show. So a person in Madagascar, say, could be watching on their computer Gundam 00 or Rideback at the same time as a person in Japan is watching it on their television set.

The only downside is the notoriously bad quality of the streams, and the more people tuning into one the worse the quality gets. Well, there's that and the fact that they are (naturally) a raw, as in no subs. Those who can understand Japanese like to use them, as do those who can get most of the story just from the visual aspect (which is a surprisingly large amount of people). I would try to watch them more often, but my ADSL is pathetically slow, which doesn't help things.

Just so that we are on the same page, they are of course illegal, and are without the blessing of either the overseas licensors or the original creators. But then so too is fansubbing, and therefore the streams are accepted among many elements of the fansub community.

So yes, there are places on the Internet where you can go and watch these streams, and no, I won't tell you where to find them, even in a Private Message. General forum rules still apply to PMs, so I'm not going to risk being banned. Especially with Admin having the power to view the supposedly private conversations, at least that is what ANN Admin tells us.

I hope I didn't come across as lecturing you; I just thought that you might want to know about such methods some fans use to keep "up-to-date" with the current shows. Yeah, so up-to-date that they know everything almost as soon as the Japanese viewers learn it.
sburstall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Episode 11:

spoiler[Well, Oakura's gone off with Kiefer to assault the GGP. Rin also seemed to get over her issues with some help from Tomoyo. Just in time too as if she hadn't decided to stay in the city the two of them would have both died along with the helicopter. However, this put them in the position to fight back and escape.]

I'm looking forward to seeing spoiler[Rin and Tomoyo make street pizza out of the people pursuing them. Sure hope RBZ has Goblin for an OS though, otherwise Tomoyo might be in trouble.]
Maybe they have taken the American version of cliffhangers so that there will be an audience when the next season comes out. It would be bad writing that somehow the GGP would fall under the assult of Rin and Tomoyo in just one episode.
BTW, those things following R and T aren't manned. They are automatic weapons which look like they are based on the white ridebacks. They won't be street pizza, more like a pile of nuts and bolts.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I wasn't try to be "cute" with my question. I honestly did wonder if there was a channel somewhere for this stuff. It's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now and finally did this morning. I've heard of fansubs before, but had always assumed they were TV series that had already been broadcast in their entirety in Japan but had not received a North American DVD release yet.
sburstall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Just so there is no misunderstanding, I wasn't try to be "cute" with my question. I honestly did wonder if there was a channel somewhere for this stuff. It's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now and finally did this morning. I've heard of fansubs before, but had always assumed they were TV series that had already been broadcast in their entirety in Japan but had not received a North American DVD release yet.

You just went OT, but that's okay. Just do a google search on the anime of choice and then "direct download" or "bittorrent". You'll get a lot of sites.

Like the others have stated and pretty much with any forum, giving the site name is a no-no. Remember, the only stupid question are those not asked. Wink
jel123

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:
No complaints.

For some reason two really minor aspects keep coming to mind though;
1) When Tamoyo and Rin were on the roof talking (not that what Rin was saying wasn't interesting - it was). I kept noticing, even though it was almost solid overcast, just how detailed they made the clouds. No lack of quality even this late in the series.
2) For some reason we see the GGP tractor trailer, on it's way to the raid, signaling a left (blinker on). Aren't the GGP way too arrogant to be obeying traffic laws? It just felt a little out of place. Wink

Kruszer wrote:

Should be a good battle. I think spoiler[Tamoyo can hold her own: remember she is a world class rideback racer. And wasn't it Hishida that said Tamoyo found Fuego difficult to control because of the modified (Goblin) ACS?]

Any thoughts on the naming of the new spoiler[(autonomous?/remote control?) ridebacks - Grimoire?] Implying how they are like conjured demons or something?
spoiler[(And why does it have a penis? Is that how they make new ones?)] Smile Smile

Don't want it to end but can't wait for the next episode.
Wellness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I know I am late but just saw episode 10.

spoiler[I knew when Suzuri showed off her treasure something was going to go wrong but decapitation... that was just nasty and mess up.

The least they could have done was massive internal injuries from a blow to the chest. But having her head batted clean off, was just Sad
]

Will try to watch the rest later tonight.

Edit: Finished it off and I can't help but wish there was more of the series. Still a great show, although it barely really scratched the surface of the whole Rideback machinery nor its political structure.

Also the Goblin was dope.

spoiler[The ending was nice and all. plenty of action and they didn't have to turn Rin into a badass killing machine (so much that she out maneuvered the machines into breaking down), although the bit with the light was... let's call it suspect.

Still good show.]
jel123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12, can't believe it's over.

There were two or three times that I thought they were going to spoiler[kill off Rin - probably a lack of faith on my part. Interesting that Tamoyo was relegated to the spectators seat. It would have been nice to see her putting up a good fight.]
Didn't think spoiler[Romanov would wait for Kiefer. He seemed like the type who would runaway once things weren't going his way. After he (somehow?) got the drop on Kiefer it was no surprise who stepped in to finish things off.]

This episode did not disappoint other than maybe it spoiler[was a little too thorough in cleaning up the loose ends. That said, I am happy with the conclusion. Not that I would mind seeing more but I really don't think there's a need for continuation - it just feels done.]

Overall this has to be one of the best animated dramas I have ever seen. The animation, story, characters - it all fit together well. Whether it's RB2 or something else; I'm looking forward to seeing more from this director and the rest of the team. They did an awesome job!
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
episode 12

well, I can say that the last episode improved my opinion of the show.

The negatives:

1. Rin got the only substantial character development in the whole show, though granted it was a lot. We never knew Okakura's reason for so fiercely protecting Rin, there was zero explanation for this...why didn't he freak out when Suzuri was on the bike?

And by the time of Kiefer and Romanov's confrontation, I honestly didn't give a crap who shot whom. The "vengeance" stuff wasn't explained at all.

2. Suzuri spoiler[died]. Why not Shouko? That would have been ten times more significant.

3. A lot of the military antics were explained with inconsistencies. Why was Romanov, an obvious loose cannon, given that much power without a leash? What kind of government of a presumably first-world country allows an outside organization to set prototypes loose on the population?

The military stuff came off as amateur and childish to me.

4. odd stop-and-start pacing, especially in the action.

The positives:

1. Rin frustrated me at times, but ultimately she rocked. Great character development through and through

2. Super action & production values

3. Good music

4. Pretty good plot, even if it was rather swiss-cheese-like
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm extremely satisfied with the way things ended, spoiler[it provides definitive closure while leaving some minor things open. ] I loved the final episode and spoiler[Rin's mecha dance of destruction was awesome.] My only complaints are spoiler[that Tamoyo was taken out of the action so easily, and the Grimoirs conveniently never tried shooting at Fuego the same way or trying to catch Tamoyo once RBZ broke down. Tamoyo didn't get to do anything and the show relegated her to uselessness.] Aside from that I would love it if this gets a sequel because there are still characters and a rich universe left to explore.
jel123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
...We never knew Okakura's reason for so fiercely protecting Rin, there was zero explanation for this...why didn't he freak out when Suzuri was on the bike?

I thought it was clear that, because of the modifications he made to Fuego, he felt responsible for getting Rin into this. There was no indication that he paid her much notice until she became a target of the GGP. Suzuri didn't "connect" with the rideback the way Rin did and by the time she became a rider Okakura was away from the club.

Quote:
And by the time of Kiefer and Romanov's confrontation, I honestly didn't give a crap who shot whom. The "vengeance" stuff wasn't explained at all.

Yeah, they did gloss over the whole "betrayal" thing. If they had more time I'm sure they would have gone into the details.

Quote:
Suzuri spoiler[died]. Why not Shouko? That would have been ten times more significant.

Why do you hate Shouko so much? Wink Just kidding. But why not Grandma or the dog for that matter? Suzuri was the most innocent/naive of the group so maybe she was meant to symbolize the spoiler[death of Rin's innocence.]

Quote:
...Why was Romanov, an obvious loose cannon, given that much power without a leash?...

The higher ups must have known what he was like. Knowing that he would get at least passive resistance from the government they may have sent him to Japan to dig his own grave. Commander Cleavage could have been watching him (and manipulating the situation) for the GGP command.

Quote:
4. odd stop-and-start pacing, especially in the action.

Are you are talking about how the otherwise spoiler[trigger happy Grimoires] would just stop and wait for Rin to decide what to do? Then, yes, that was pushing the boundaries of artistic license.

Somewhat OT but just got back from grocery shopping and noticed that my local store carries Kewpie mayonnaise. It looks like the same bottle that Suzuri was molesting as she described Rin's first Rideback experience;-) I don't like mayo and at close to $9 it wasn't worth picking up even as a novelty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11