• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-01-14

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:

I prefer playing linear games that have a defined ending...

That's why I don't play MMOs right there- if I'm going to spend that many hours of my life, I want a big, shiny ending seqence as a reward. A fact that was re-affirmed for me when I finished Kingdom for Keflings single-player Sunday. King Kefling: 'Good job!' Me:... 'That's it? I don't even get a credits roll?' Crying or Very sad I mean, even Animal Crossing worked the credits in so you could get that sense of completion even if the game didn't actually stop.

I would be more upset if it'd taken more than a weekend to finish... plus, being able to kick the lil' guys helps. Wink

Myoopi should recover. if those Japanese genetics folks can make him poop candy, they can make him MMO-resistant too. Laughing
boznia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote
Poor Nina (and Myoopi). That feeling of accomplishing something when you've really accomplished nothing at all makes me feel hollow inside, too.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Thank god I could never get into MMORPGs. On the other hand, it would keep me from going out into the world and buying Anime dvds I may or may not ever watch. It might be nice to have paycheck at the end of the month for... clothes...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Anime can be just as addictive, you know.

Poor Myoopi. Sad

I'll second that. Poor Myoopi. Oh that had me cracking up. Kevin always looks pissed of all the time. GAWD. I always wondered what online gaming was like, but I'm glad that I never got involved with that. Hell, I still remember the little bit of addictions I had when I used to play rpgs back in HS. You just get sucked in.

Now I wonder how they can make your character dance. Laughing
skyesage

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote
Next week: Nina gets addicted to Jdoramas!

Hahaha, seriously, though, I spent way too much of my winter break watching Hana Yori Dango...then Hana Kimi...then finishing the TW drama Devil Beside You...then crying through One Litre of Tears...hahaha I am just addicted to dramas generally...you watch one episode then you are like...OK I am going to do something else. But wait! That cliff hanger! I need to find out if Makino jumps out of that window in the next episode (not a spoiler, because nothing like that ever happens in HanaDan hahaha)...

But yes, if you really want something to eat up your time...finished series...it's kinda...interesting that way.
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Does anyone else find it easier to keep up with manga than anime, or vice-versa?

I have a problem with both.

On the one hand, I used to be good about keeping up with manga because I could read it at work on my lunch break, but I've fallen behind lately because I've had so many novels to read.

For anime, I meet with a friend every Friday night to watch anime. So, I do get a fairly consistent anime fix. However, I have a backlog of anime that he doesn't want to watch that I haven't found time to watch on my own.

Anime cry
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Oh god, I know exactly what that's like. I've been playing WoW since a friend got me hooked a few months after it came out, probably around Jan 2005. Raiding seems to take a lot more free time than you realize.

As a result, my watched anime list has suffered. I've probably got at least 1/3 of my collection that's gone unwatched. But I'm still in the habit of buying DVDs. So I unwrap them, place them on my shelves in alphabetical order, and don't watch them. Some of the DVDs have been sitting there for years.

This is me in nutshell. I have a huge chunk of anime to watch still. Which is why I'm going to attempt to switch to Netflix and stop buying unless I really, really like something. I also agree with the previous statement that anime is like marijuana and WoW is like cocaine.

Quote:
For me though, I think it's easier to keep up on my manga collection. Probably because I can take it to work and read it in my free time. Also it seems to take less time to read a volume of manga than to watch a DVD of anime. Does anyone else find it easier to keep up with manga than anime, or vice-versa?

Yes, it's MUCH easier to keep up with manga, as I can read on the bus, or during my lunch, or in bed. I have never overbought manga and not read it (unless I completely lose interest and then once I realize that, I sell it). With my anime though, I easily have a half dozen movies and series that are still sitting there making me feel guilty as I log on to WoW for the next five hours...
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Does anyone else find it easier to keep up with manga than anime, or vice-versa?

I'm the other way around. I can easily keep up with both anime and manga. It's my video game backlog that keeps on growing. Anime smile + sweatdrop
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
Faceman wrote:

I'm the other way around. I can easily keep up with both anime and manga. It's my video game backlog that keeps on growing. Anime smile + sweatdrop

My video game backlog is my worst backlog of all. Anime cry Anime cry Anime cry

My new year's resolution this year is to watch movies/anime and play video games for that very reason. Anime hyper
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:52 pm Reply with quote
SailorButterly- Awesome job on the cosplay!!! Did anyone recognize you at the convention? The candy-pouch Myoopi is just.. super bonus points, right there!! Anime hyper

I am behind on videogames AND anime. Since working full time again and moving, I have barely made time for fun nerd stuff.. without ANN and game blogs, I feel like I'd get totally out of the loop. However, I did just get Guild Wars, which is really fun and not super addictive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
MMORPGs have daily server maintenance, program/computer crashes, network lag/drops ...

Good lord, such MMO hate on these boards. <_<; As for -you-, I don't think you know what you're talking about. 99.9% of MMOs do not have daily maintenance at all, nor do they crash, nor do they have lag/network drops unless one's own connection is at fault.

In short: Don't spread a bunch of crap about something you clearly are oblivious towards. While the comic was amusing, the replies here are downright messed up.

Protip, people. Do you really think that if WoW really ruined the lives of everyone who touched it that it would have almost 12,000,000 subscribers with a userbase that's only going up? For the past two years I've maintained a 4.0 in university classes, while managing WoW daily.

The vast majority of people play the game just fine, like myself, so get over your bias already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
SailorButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
SailorButterly- Awesome job on the cosplay!!! Did anyone recognize you at the convention? The candy-pouch Myoopi is just.. super bonus points, right there!! Anime hyper

They did! I gave Myoopi candy-poops to anyone who recognized me. Very Happy

Thanks!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:58 pm Reply with quote
SailorButterfly wrote:

They did! I gave Myoopi candy-poops to anyone who recognized me.

I hope there were no cinnamon rolls!

That's a really awesome costume SailorButterfly.

-t
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:
Protip, people. Do you really think that if WoW really ruined the lives of everyone who touched it that it would have almost 12,000,000 subscribers with a userbase that's only going up?

Logically, all that these numbers imply is that their lives are not ruined to the point that they can no longer play the game.

As for the experiences reported on this thread, it may take some time for some people to learn to pace themselves on MMORPGs. DVDs, at least, typically end by themselves.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Ugh god no, not that kind of game. Blech, keep it away
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5