• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shiki DVD/BD combo.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I have watched about 18 episodes of the Shiki DVD/BD combo pack. Looks pretty good and I have no problem marathoning it. Only saw one episode subbed a while ago. If it wasn't for work, I would have finished it already.

I like its take on vampirism and society. It would make for a good live action movie.

Does anybody know if the Funimation DVD/BD has been edited for content?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation don't edit their discs*. If they did, I assure you that the outcry would be heard on the moon.

* there are examples of changes to music for licensing reasons, e.g. Strike Witches and Kodocha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Speed Grapher and Eden of the East too for changes in music due to licensing issues, but yeah, Funimation does not edit episode content or censor things on DVD/BD.

They do however, sometimes censor their streaming video for content.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:34 am Reply with quote
I picked examples where the changes were made during an episode, rather than just an alternative opening theme. Kodocha was the worst since it meant muting the audio completely on the Japanese track.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I picked examples where the changes were made during an episode, rather than just an alternative opening theme. Kodocha was the worst since it meant muting the audio completely on the Japanese track.

It seems like that's a running issue with that band (Tokio) or at least their label.

The Skull Man also had a song from them for it's opening, but it got replaced wtih a generic instrumental theme when Sentai released it
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying this show so far. I'm curious about the dates listed throughout the show though.Does anyone know what the words after the dates mean?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I'm really enjoying this show so far. I'm curious about the dates listed throughout the show though.Does anyone know what the words after the dates mean?

If I remember correctly, I believe they're daily fortune readings, like the kind you'd get from a shrine or something, "Good luck in the morning, bad luck in the evening" etc.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
shamisen the great wrote:

If I remember correctly, I believe they're daily fortune readings, like the kind you'd get from a shrine or something, "Good luck in the morning, bad luck in the evening" etc.
That's interesting. Thank you.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I personally LOVE Shiki, its one of my favorite Noitamina series along with Tatami Galaxy (still sad that one isn't getting a stateside release) and House Of five Leaves. Pretty good story, and decently interesting characters, even if a few of em are kind of annoying at times.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone recommend picking up this show on dvd and blu-ray by funimation? How great or not so great is it without any spoilers?

thanks
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
SoundMonkey's post directly above yours is not good enough of a recommendation? How about "Looks pretty good" and "I'm really enjoying this show so far" from further up the thread?

Or you could just go watch a few episodes or read some reviews.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:56 pm Reply with quote
I have finished Funimation's Shiki DVD/BD combo. I recommend it for its unique telling on Vampirism and human nature. I am glad I forked the money out for it.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if this show takes the lord's name in vain? I would like to know...thanks

I also think they shouldn't allow taking the lord's name in vain in telelvision/anime etc.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
@Lil Kis
If you consider "taking the lord's name in vain" to be the phrase "G-d d--m it!", then I don't think so. Of course, I am not offended by that, so I wouldn't take much note of it if it did appear. This show does contain discussions between characters about being forsaken by God though (or god, not sure about the capitalization in the subtitles this time), so that may influence your decision on whether to watch the show.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Lil Kis wrote:
Does anyone know if this show takes the lord's name in vain? I would like to know...thanks

I don't remember, but then I'm the type of guy whose not really offended by anything so I wouldn't take specific note of that. It's definitely not a family friendly show though, plenty of cursing, death, depression, and a whole lot of bloody sometimes gruesome violence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2