• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Headed to Ikkicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Sora/Sanctuary wrote:
all i can say is this will not make a good impresion for anime fans, and convention security is going to a lot stricter not just at ikkicon but any were that the feds think they might be.

Hopefully that will cut down on all the illegal activities then.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
pparker wrote:
WHERE are you reading this? I read your earlier post and thought you were kidding. The local news link doesn't mention any of this.

Here's a link that mentions what he stole before leaving. She went with a guy sending her sexually explicit text messages. Shocked (However, the "sending nude photos" link also shows that teens are sendig explicit text messages to each other too. Not that I'm defending the guy or anything.)

Some people just need to give their children an extra talk about cellphones, text messages, sending nude photos....

It's like this current generation has a lack of common sense.

Yeah, I saw that one. It just says he stole money from his workplace before they left. Makes sense. If he works in a convenience store, he's unlikely to have a large savings account to fund travel. However, nothing else is mentioned, e.g., her being involved in felonies that may string back over time.

Again from my experience, even recently visiting back home, the reach of urban culture into the hinterland is much, much lower then people would assume. We think of the Internet making culture and education ubiquitous. And yes, my cousin has an iPhone, but she travels extensively. But there's still no computer in every bedroom, if there is one at all. The rest of the family lives in the more or less cultural cocoon provided by TV and local interests, and the environment is so different that even TV hasn't influenced them that much. All the bad things happen in "those cities", and I'm not being deprecating--that's generally the truth from their perspective.

It isn't a new lack of common sense. The lack has been there all along, but it's only ignorance in a specific context. "Common" sense is relative to your environment.

Not in these days. If you give a kid a cellphone or computer access, you have to give them lectures on what can happen. Or in some cases, like what was debated in my area on morning radio, limit the type of cellphones (ones that don't receive or send photos, monitor text messages, etc.) and keystroke tracking programs. Facebook lectures also need to be given. Parents now have to step up to the plate and take on more responsibilites.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Lothar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:29 am Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:

And the ability of normal fans to feel at ease at a convention where they're supposed to have fun, but why get in the way of good old fashioned panic-induced zealotry?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Zoe wrote:

And the ability of normal fans to feel at ease at a convention where they're supposed to have fun, but why get in the way of good old fashioned panic-induced zealotry?

You mean like girls panhandling for money to buy Pocki? It's not like conventions were safe before now.
Lothar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
You mean like girls panhandling for money to buy Pocki? It's not like conventions were safe before now.

Panhandling = kidnapping. You win the Internets, good sir.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
I think that this girl is an active participant in all of this. Which is really too bad. Because no matter how much her parents try to say that she was kidnapped...the truth will come out, and in a small town...well, I don't think life will be all that pleasant for her. Her peers and others will be savage to her. Not necessarily to her face but behind her back. She will NEVER be able to have a "normal" life in that town again.

And I wish that the news would show a more current picture of what she looks like...if she looks like the "30-year-old stripper" that I saw in an earlier post...no one will recognize her with the only picture being the "cute & innocent" one.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

How do you know she was kidnapped? She could have ran away.
Sora/Sanctuary

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:
Zoe wrote:

I agree they already try to encourage people to ask befor they glomp someone but it's no fun that way. i'd rather have the suprise of almost haveing my back broken by a sqweling fan girl. but it would help to keep the creeps form hiting on 13 and 14 year olds.
Lothar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

IANAL, but if a person is under 18, their parents have claimed them to be missing, and they're traveling with an older individual, it's legally kidnapping no matter if the person gave consent. Others might say that it's just a matter of some young woman running off with an older guy to go con hopping (minus the alleged robberies). However, the law doesn't normally make that distinction.
farichada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Now I am going to feel sorry for all of the innocent old men that decide to go to this con that kind of look like this guy. I was thinking about showing up myself since I am in Austin, but I don't want to get abducted. I kid, but seriously I look like a 14-15 old even though I am an adult -- I might be considered a prime target. Wink I wonder if any parents are going to forbid their kids from going because of this.

Last edited by farichada on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Lothar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Sora/Sanctuary wrote:
I agree they already try to encourage people to ask befor they glomp someone but it's no fun that way. i'd rather have the suprise of almost haveing my back broken by a sqweling fan girl. but it would help to keep the creeps form hiting on 13 and 14 year olds.

What are con staff supposed to do? Make sure all unrelated people above and below the age of 18 never interact? Or if they're allowed to talk to each other, walk around and see if conversations between them aren't "creepy" or if the older males don't "look like pedos"? Because as a 32-year-old male, I'm really going to enjoy being watched if I happen to be in line with a 16-year-old young woman and happen to want to strike up a conversation about Kyou Kara Maou or Fruits Basket.

EDIT: And not want to have sex with her, you dipwads!
farichada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Lothar wrote:

What are con staff supposed to do? Make sure all unrelated people above and below the age of 18 never interact? Or if they're allowed to talk to each other, walk around and see if conversations between them aren't "creepy" or if the older males don't "look like pedos"? Because as a 32-year-old male, I'm really going to enjoy being watched if I happen to be in line with a 16-year-old young woman and happen to want to strike up a conversation about Kyou Kara Maou or Fruits Basket.

EDIT: And not want to have sex with her, you dipwads!

I assume that means you fall into the category of innocent old men that I described above. Old is relative to the average age of an anime fan. You may not be old when compared to overall population the average age of the general public, but as an anime fan you might as well be considered a dinosaur. Don't worry about it too much -- if don't do anything wrong you won't get arrested. You may get some unwarranted stares though.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Wow ... do you guys really think there ISN'T a lot of illegal activity at cons ... only just recently at an *unamed* con I saw underaged drinking and smelled pot in the stairwells. I later heard about the guy who was caught selling ecstacy at the rave.

Yeah ... maybe police would be helpful.
Lothar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
farichada wrote:
I assume that means you fall into the category of innocent old men that I described above. Old is relative to the average age of an anime fan. You may not be old when compared to overall population of the society, but as an anime fan you might as well be considered a dinosaur. Don't worry about it too much -- if don't do anything wrong you won't get arrested. You may get some unwarranted stares though.

Right, but I was responding primarily to Zoe. Cons have an obligation to help police when serious felonies are being committed. But to have an atmosphere of paranoia infecting the security personnel is one of the surest ways to kill an anime convention.

And if I get stares, I'll just blame it on the media hyping up missing-white-girl-of-the-week stories and assume the starer is brainwashed and probably a bit dull-witted. I probably wouldn't want to know them anyway. Everyone else knows I'm devoted to my 29-year-old partner of 7 years, or they won't stare because they realize that older men and young women can have civil and fun conversations without sexual tension.

Last edited by Lothar on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Lothar wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure by definition if a minor (who is not legally capable of making their own decisions) runs away with a 40 year old man, that's more or less grounds for a kidnapping charge.

-Tofu
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9