• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist's Original Ed, Al to Reprise Roles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnav

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
cool video..amaaaaazzzzziiiinnnnggggg
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
cnav wrote:
first of all FUNIMATION SUX...licensing is ok..but to stop fansubbers from subbing animes is just too harsh..

If the fansubbers are R1-based, like much of English fansubdom is, then pragmatically, it's just tough cookies for those watchers outside R1 since this is a R1 issue. "Outsiders" just happened to partake in it, but it's still just a "domestic" issue. (The "original" fansub code leads to a domestic goal, after all.) Them's the breaks, s'all.

cnav wrote:

what should the guys in the indian subcontinent do to watch their favourite animes..

Have their fansubbers take over, or better yet, sub 'em in Hindi or other local language so not directly competing with English R1 so R1 companies won't care.
spoony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
While I was content with both Rie Kugimiya and Aaron Dismuke's performances as Al, I DID think that the casting people were a little off in their portrayal of him. I was able to reconcile this for the anime because

1) They for some reason decided to portray Al as more childish in the anime than they do in the manga, so it kind of worked out

and

2) According to anime logic, Al's body was not changing while he was in the armor, thus he returned as a 10-year-old and would still have a ten-year-old's voice throughout.

So really, in an anime intended to follow the manga I believe Al should have a voice more suited to his age and character (while manga Al is still the gentle type, I think he's more independent and also a better fighter than he is in the anime).

Still, I can't say I'm upset to hear that Rie Kugimiya is back; she's a good actress and I did like her once I got used to the fact that Al kinda sounded like a little girl.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
OMG I watched the new trailer. *faints*

The music is goooood! VIOLINS *faints again*

The new character design is so perfect, and the colour palette is different thant the previous series, a complete remake is almost sure at this point.

I'm an happy person.
Very Happy

But... what is Ed saying? Could someone translate it, please? *puppy eyes*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadix79

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I'm so excited about this and seriously hope when this comes here, Funi will get a hold of it and everyone will be back to reprise their roles. I honestly don't see Aaron coming back to play Al though since he was hit by the puberty stick. My fiance thinks that they'll get him sounding like a kid again by the same technology that made Vic Mignogna sound like a kid, but I dunno if that would work. If they couldn't pull if off though, here's a nominee I think should be Aaron's successor...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2490348/

This kid played the main character's brother in Silent Hill Homecoming and, to me, sounds like he would make a really good Alphonse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5