• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Psychic Reading

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
*looks at the shelves* Nice~ Lots of 'older' shows I've been meaning to watch. I've always wanted a Tachikoma but I rather have the figure version than the plushie.

Uta Koi has it's ups and downs. I really like the art of the show, the romance and friendships the characters make (and then break) with each other, and the interpretation of the Ogura 100 Poems themselves really make me appreciate the history and the depth of the poetry more.
I still don't like the anachronism (or the ending theme song) though. I get they are supposed to be light-heart moments to serve as comic relief but it just pulls me out of the historical setting that the show is suppose to rely on.

While the whole "hijack Ryosuke" arc is taking too long, I still like the way Natsuyuki Rendezvous shows how complicated the whole "moving on with life"-type romance really is. Even without a literal ghost, Atsuki's death would still impact Rokka and Ryosuke's relationship. Even if the story is slow, I still like seeing adult romance in any media so I'm glad. :3

Quote:
No No.6? That did come out, right? Or since it already got stream worthy it won't come back onto shelf life?
Beat me to it. Smile
I think Gia won't review it again since watching the same show twice, albeit with a Englidh dub, would probably be a waste of her time. I'm also guessing that she won't review Natsume's Book of Friends again, either, since it's coming on DVD soon & she had already watched it.
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I like seeing in the photos week after week how everyone has their favorite sort of anime swag. I love me some anime coffee mugs, and it's just as fun seeing all the key rings this person has. Nice collection! Smile And that Menchi grill is interesting to say the least.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
No No.6? That did come out, right? Or since it already got stream worthy it won't come back onto shelf life?

Sentai doesn't send me review copies (well, not lately, although they have in the past), so I'd have to rent it, and I don't think rentanime.com has it yet.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
It's not like Josei anime have never been made, and enough have been successful. Just look at Nodame Cantabile. And Chihayafuru is getting a second season.

They're not at all common, but it's not as if they've never existed Very Happy.

The Nodame live action drama was probably way more popular than the anime! That said, I'm sure josei is like, 1% of all anime production.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime for grown-ups - who'da thunk it? This is the kind of stuff I'd like to see on DVD.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:12 am Reply with quote
I guess it helps to be a bit older and/or having lost someone close to you to appreiciate Natsuyuki Rendezvous. To me it's more about loss and grief and (not) being able to move on then about romance. In fact, i could have done without the 'new love interest' completely but i guess the genre kind of demanded it...well, i'm definitely looking forward to the final episodes (and the potentially 'shocking' or at the very least 'surprising' ending Very Happy).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:21 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Quote:
Beat me to it. Smile
I think Gia won't review it again since watching the same show twice, albeit with a Englidh dub, would probably be a waste of her time. I'm also guessing that she won't review Natsume's Book of Friends again, either, since it's coming on DVD soon & she had already watched it.

Doubtful we will see any kind of spotlight review for No. 6. ANN has recently only been devoting the spotlight reviews to shonen and harem shows -

(in reverse chronological order):

Freezing
Sword Art Online
Mahoromatic
Campione
Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero
K-On Season 2
So I Can't Play H

I wish they would have given Rebecca No.6, instead of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero. Kind of confusing. Anime dazed

I'm happy that some of the alternative shows get regular mention in "The Stream", since Bamboo seems to like some of them...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:

I wish they would have given Rebecca No.6, instead of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero. Kind of confusing. Anime dazed

As soon as I get my hands on a copy (and assuming no one beats me to that point), I'll review it. Smile By the way, Erin, rentanime added it recently.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
No.6 made me cry. Crying or Very sad

Tears of boredom. I wish you luck, brave challenger.
N.R.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, a collection of anime lunch boxes and chains. That's unique!

But the Menchi griller...goes and buys a griller for 15$ -> prints a picture of burning coals and cuts it to a circle -> buys a Menchi figure from eBay for 16$ -> Puts everything together!

So yeah, it won't be an official griller, but we'll be grilling Menchi nonetheless!
Gamescook

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that noitaminA and shows like Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Princess Jellyfish are getting onto the air. Keeping in mind that most are targeted toward specific audiences, I hope this is a sign that the (arguably) sexist moe shows are on the decline for a more balanced and inclusive line-up of entertainment.

Put it this way, it's 2012 and there need to be more fictional female characters in Japanese pop culture that (figurative and literally) wear pants.[/i]
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While the whole "hijack Ryosuke" arc is taking too long, I still like the way Natsuyuki Rendezvous shows how complicated the whole "moving on with life"-type romance really is. Even without a literal ghost, Atsuki's death would still impact Rokka and Ryosuke's relationship. Even if the story is slow, I still like seeing adult romance in any media so I'm glad.

Oh, it's a good and different type of show in a lot of respects, it just didn't hold my interest. I think it's mostly the new love interest guy where it falls flat. He's not terribly interesting or likeable and their isn't much (any?) chemistry between the leads.

I could buy into the argument that the widow and her dead husband are the true protagonists, but he's still the weak point that keeps it all from coming together like it should.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Gamescook wrote:
I'm glad that noitaminA and shows like Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Princess Jellyfish are getting onto the air. [...]

Put it this way, it's 2012 and there need to be more fictional female characters in Japanese pop culture that (figurative and literally) wear pants.

*highfive* Very Happy
Yay for pants!

mad mac wrote:
Quote:
While the whole "hijack Ryosuke" arc is taking too long, I still like the way Natsuyuki Rendezvous shows how complicated the whole "moving on with life"-type romance really is. Even without a literal ghost, Atsuki's death would still impact Rokka and Ryosuke's relationship. Even if the story is slow, I still like seeing adult romance in any media so I'm glad.

Oh, it's a good and different type of show in a lot of respects, it just didn't hold my interest. I think it's mostly the new love interest guy where it falls flat. He's not terribly interesting or likeable and their isn't much (any?) chemistry between the leads.

I could buy into the argument that the widow and her dead husband are the true protagonists, but he's still the weak point that keeps it all from coming together like it should.

Oh, I agree actually. I used to think that that Ryosuke wasn't trying to get to know Rokka more as a person. Rather, the relationship btwn Rokka and Atsuki was simply more compelling and recived more attention. As of late, it seems that Ryosuke's finally got a clue. But, yeah, I understand.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Gamescook wrote:
I'm glad that noitaminA and shows like Natsuyuki Rendezvous and Princess Jellyfish are getting onto the air. Keeping in mind that most are targeted toward specific audiences, I hope this is a sign that the (arguably) sexist moe shows are on the decline for a more balanced and inclusive line-up of entertainment.

Put it this way, it's 2012 and there need to be more fictional female characters in Japanese pop culture that (figurative and literally) wear pants.[/i]

Natsuyuki is projected as the worst selling show of the Summer season (about 500 copies sold), so I wouldn't call it a victory yet. Jellyfish also sold about 700 copies. If anything, it just shows that the anime fanbase doesn't want these kinds of shows made.
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Natsuyuki is projected as the worst selling show of the Summer season (about 500 copies sold), so I wouldn't call it a victory yet. Jellyfish also sold about 700 copies. If anything, it just shows that the anime fanbase doesn't want these kinds of shows made.

Well, they're shows aimed at a difference audience. It might be more accurate to say that josei fans apparently don't buy (Or watch?) a lot of anime.

Honestly, it seems like the only female fanbase that can compete with the Otaku's for spending money are the Yaoi/Reverse Harem fans, which is basically replacing people in it for the cute girls with people in it for the cute guys. Which makes a certain amount of sense, depressing as it is.

I don't tracks sales all that closely, though. How has the Noitama block been doing overall over the last year or so?
danilo07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:

And yet every year they are constantly created.Why?Cause noitamina really isnt about sales but about broadcasting. It was a project that didn't really rely on the sales in the first place,since it was aimed at college students who dont really have enough money to buy animes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4