• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Central Park Media Files for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:34 am Reply with quote
RIP CPM. Unfortunately, I haven't been into this hobby long enough to own many of their titles. The ones I'd like to see rescued:

Patlabor
Utena
DNA2
Record of Lodoss Wars

At least those are the ones that quickly come to mind for me. What with the recent ANN deal, maybe Sentai/ADV can put out a nice Utena collection (one can hope, anyway!).
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
This is sad news, but I alreadly thought CPM alreadly closed. Well there goes my chance of seeing how the manga version of World of Narue ends though. Besides World of Narue, I think that may be the only CPM anime I've ever watched. I could be wrong, but its been years since I watched World Of Narue,so I am not really sure.

My condolence goes out to the employees and the fans who've been watching Central Park Media anime and reading their manga since they began.
biggdog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
So, just to clarify, might ANN not exist if it weren't for CPM?

I'm pretty sure Justin had started and left ANN prior to working for CPM.
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I hope that other companies rescue some of their licenses. I would really like to finish SWAN and buy Record of Lodoss War and Grave of the Fireflies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TornadoTatsumaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Descent123 wrote:
I'm very sad that CPM is out of business, but I'm hoping that the licenses will go to other companies (Media Blasters, ADV Films anyone?).
Well. At Kamikazecon I asked Matt Greenfield if ADV was considering picking up some former CPM titles and he told me that it's possible "in the near future" that it's all about which titles of thiers is gurenteed a profit and that ADV will handpick which titles they believe will serve them best. But Matt did warn me in advance that CPM was done for.

Still its a sad to see a great R1 company like CPM bite the dust. I'm quite of fan of thiers with titles like "Blackjack", "Project A-ko", "Roujin Z", "Outlanders". Well look on the bright side, maybe it might be easier to find thier out of print titles.

Goodbye CPM. Crying or Very sad
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Glad I snatched up the $100 full series + movie box set for Utena when I did! *snuggles t-shirt that came with it*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GaryPotter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
zanarkand princess wrote:
I still don't like the idea of monopolization of the market.

Competition alone may very well make this happen.

My prediction: FUNimation will kill off ADV and any other small distributor within the next 2 years. The revenue FUNimation has can certainly afford them the luxury to do so.

Once the small fish are gone, it'll be between FUNimation and the Japanese distributors.

The ultimate winner: Bandai.
Not only does Bandai have a significant place in the market, its subsidiaries can easily offset licensing costs. Hell, Bandai even sells anime merchandise, which is 70% of the anime revenue.

There's no way a US company can compete against that if it solely relies on revenues from DVD purchases and website ads.

If FUNimation doesn't do something to change, I see them gone by 2015.

This is why I love coming to ANN. Most of things said are so stupid and ridiculous that it's always good for a laugh.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
RIP CPM. Unfortunately, I haven't been into this hobby long enough to own many of their titles. The ones I'd like to see rescued:

Patlabor
Utena
DNA2
Record of Lodoss Wars

Indeed it is a bad time to be a Patlabor fan. That said, the OVA has been unavailable for quite some time now, so I didn't have much hope to lose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
biggdog wrote:
Iritscen wrote:
So, just to clarify, might ANN not exist if it weren't for CPM?

I'm pretty sure Justin had started and left ANN prior to working for CPM.

Justin started ANN back in 1998, then handed the reigns over to other people, and eventually it came to Christopher MacDonald aka tempest. Justin in the meantime was doing his own projects, which also included working for Central Park Media, in which he was also responsible for subbing series if I recall correctly. He eventually left, did some other things before finally coming back to ANN.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I'll put money on Utena geting picked up by Funimation and the rest being left to wallow in limbo.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Oh, hmm, okay. When Justin said "I would probably not be in the anime business, or possibly in the hobby at all [without CPM]", I assumed that he founded ANN after working at CPM, since it's hard to imagine someone founding an animé news site without being "in the hobby" (i.e., a fan), or even in the animé business at all. So you understand my confusion, right?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Oh, hmm, okay. When Justin said "I would probably not be in the anime business, or possibly in the hobby at all [without CPM]", I assumed that he founded ANN after working at CPM, since it's hard to imagine someone founding an animé news site without being "in the hobby" (i.e., a fan), or even in the animé business at all. So you understand my confusion, right?

If you go to the staff page, you will find Justin's bio and what he did after he left ANN. Hopefully that will clean up any confusion that you have.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
This is why I love coming to ANN. Most of things said are so stupid and ridiculous that it's always good for a laugh.

*whistles while looking at the last 6 release articles regarding distributor releases.

But I'm glad I could help with putting a smile on your face.
Smile
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CPM's decline had nothing to do with the economy (its descent took well over 5 years), but if my theories are correct, at least the guy in charge was able to wind things down in a controlled manner.

+1 to what Justin said.

I'm surprised O'Donnell let the company linger for so long. They have basically been out of business for almost 2 years now, and lived off of re-releases for a year prior to that, so I think the bankruptcy filing is just final house cleaning for them.

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Why does everyone keep saying they want Funimation to pick so and so show up? I would rather ADV get something fairly popular because.. they need it. Even Viz could do a good job if they tried, MB could dub Utena if they thought dubbing that generic harem show was a good idea and I think Nozomi would treat it well (even if the chances of a dub lower even more with this company)

I'm glad for everything Funimation has picked p but I still don't like the idea of monopolization of the market.

Basically, Funimation is the only company that is in any position to license rescue anything right now. ADV is still reeling from that huge hit they took last year, and I seriously doubt they'd pick anything up. You don't see them jumping to license new titles and they changed their release format to cut costs. Bandai and VIZ don't exactly jump to rescue titles (at least I don't remember them doing so), and Media Blasters, Manga Entertainment, and Rightstuf/Nozomi are all smaller companies so I doubt it. However, they could surprise us. Funimation is the one with all the cash to throw around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10