• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Heart error report (complete)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
To Heart contains a number of duplicate persons (present no-source contributions compared to the Knight Kanji source):

• Masaya TAKAZUKA (高塚 正也, 4 cast roles) is a spelling error duplicate of
    Masaya TAKATSUKA (高塚 正也, >40 cast roles)
    as TAKAZUKA is no valid reading of 高塚.

Last edited by Devil Doll on Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Masaya TAKAZUKA (高塚 正也, 4 cast roles) is a spelling error

If it's erroneous, why bother entering additional personal info (kanji name, date of birth, etc.) for that entry? You're just adding more work for me. Rolling Eyes

I've told you about it before. If you keep doing this I'd take it as intentional.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
And I told you before that you should consider the order of events: It because I entered additional data (such as the Kanji name) I found out later that it is a duplicate (when I entered another role for that Kanji name).
Some of his role credits were entered for the wrong guy already (i. e. not by me), thus I gave him the kanji name when validating these credits; some other roles were not entered, and that's when I noticed that he's a duplicate. Is this so hard to understand for you?
If Dan42 implemented a uniqueness check during the Kanji name contribution of a person (which I suggested in another thread) I would be able to find out about the duplicate while entering the Kanji already. This is what you want me to do, so please ask Dan42 to implement this tiny little improvement that saves you so much time.

And I leave the Kanji for the wrong person in there because it can take months or years before an Encyclopedist will fix the person, and other contributors ought to get aware of the duplicate in the meantime. Were I able to fix the duplicate (i. e. remove the wrong cast entries) I'd remove the Kanji for the wrong guy as the final step of this operation - which is exactly what you did now.

By the way, there's a reason why this thread is tagged "work in progress" - it warns you that you don't have to handle potentially incomplete and erroneous input from my side. What if I had intended to remove the Kanji of the wrong persons once I've completed this task? Why don't you start with the many tasks I've completed already?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:21 am Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Is this so hard to understand for you?

(Sigh)

I'm not gonna to spend my own free time day after days listening to this crap. Guess it's time for me to quit. Feel free to model the Encyclopedia in whatever way you like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
I'm in no position to remodel anything. If you ask me to stop contributing, I will do that.

It's just that a lot of things could be done a lot more efficiently at ANN, and given the low number of encyclopedists and the years of delay between reporting errors and fixing errors I thought it would be helpful it I did a part of your work (i. e. improving the quality of already existing entries, which is why most of my contributions are kanji names for already existing persons which is the way of finding duplicates).

Apparently you don't want that, so... it's your baby, not mine. Just don't blame contributors for not having a better tool for merging people - it's not me who can implement that.
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Devil Doll wrote:
Just don't blame contributors for not having a better tool for merging people - it's not me who can implement that.

I don't think we blame people for suggesting better tools. We blame them for entering false information.
It takes more time to remove all wrong entries than it would take to remove the ones you didn't enter (after you removed yours yourself) and merge the two.

I can assure you that it would be so much more convenient for us if submitters would 1. check their entries before submitting them, 2. don't enter redundant information and 3. give us a proper source where they found the information. That last one even counts for people who report errors: I spent on average one hour per day to handle 10-15 error reports, just because I have to search the web myself for confirmation.
So you should understand that merging duplicates isn't our first priority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
<removed>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Devil Doll

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
But I am not entering false information. I enter the correct Kanji name for a person who was correctly credited for some anime contribution by someone else - under a wrongly romanized name. You're shooting the messenger instead of the culprit.

And if removing the Kanji name from a duplicate causes any additional effort for your then you just confirm my point: Your tool for merging duplicate people doesn't leave the duplicate in the state you want it to be in. Which is something that Dan42 could easily fix within this tool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1