• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime! High Art - Pop Culture in Beverly Hills

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
It's a fun exhibit, but surprisingly empty. Maybe more people will show up on Memorial Day weekend?
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Back in 1999 Mike Glad and I co-curated Anime Made In Japan, an exhibit of cels and artifacts at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francsico.

I would love to get a look at his collection these days, it was most impressive ten years ago.
Doggie Kruger

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I just came back from the exhibition.

The Good thing:
It was awesome

Tha Bad thing:
You can`t take pictures

So if the person who did the review can share some more, I`ll be more than happy.

Last edited by Doggie Kruger on Sat May 16, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Magamish

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
That lone End of Eva cell is sweet. The breadth is quite decent in of itself. =p <3 cels.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It was at this point that I noticed something curious about the show – the labels aren't particularly specific. There's a handful of Lupin cels arranged together, and the label simply says “Lupin III”, with an unspecific timeline (“1976-1992”) and that's it. They don't tell you what production each cel is from or even the individual director of each film represented. The lack of information was a little strange.

I think this is just a bunch of rich collectors showing off their cel collection without even caring about history behind those cels. Nor they would be interested in production process behind those cels, drawings and BG paintings. I don't collect cel paints nor has desire to buy one, but I would've done thorough job labeling them. Trying to treat the event as a gallery show is a joke. For people who can afford lavish floor space in Beverly Hills, they could've done many ways to identify those cels correctly. Heck, folks at Anipage Daily and Sakuga@wiki would love to offer their service for free.
ceriseangel

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
KrisEllieOphi wrote:
I wonder if the incorrect labeling is due to the information provided by the collector, or poor work on the Academy's part. I want to believe it's the former, because it's very poor form for a professional organization to misrepresent things like that.

While I can't speak for the curator of this exhibit, I interned at the San Francisco Cartoon Art Museum for several months and I always found myself struggling to figure out titles and dates of exhibit pieces.
Any information the curators get is mostly from the collectors. If all the curator receives is a cel of an anime that is from Lupin III, then that's all they can put. They can do their own research, but cels do not contain inherent dates, animators or scenes on them so if that information is lost when given to the original collector, there's no way for the curator to know.
I remember the CAM asking the collectors questions, but they don't always know themselves. You have to remember that they probably have hundreds of other cels to deal with and curators don't have the time or resources to identify everything about one cel.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Of course collectors are not always reliable source of information and curators don't have time and resource to handle hundreds of cels. Okay, that's the reality. The thing is they could have done better with ideal situation that they're in.
It seems like curator has to deal with entire information collection by himself/herself with a small number of supporting staff. Anime is a popular art form with relatively short history and extremely dedicated & knowledgeable hardcore fanbase. Why not take advantage of the situation before memory fades away? Why not farm out information gathering to hardcore fans who would love to contribute for free?
We're not talking about some ancient artifact which lost most of its information ages ago. Good thing is that Japanese are pretty thorough with staff credit for each TV episode and fan-base is reliable in a popular title. I'm no expert on Lupin 3rd, but if I had a unknown Lupin cel, I would ask various people for identification.
Hopefully information about these cels improves as it makes tour around the world.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:52 am Reply with quote
I'm more impressed that they had food. Laughing

Quote:
It was at this point that I noticed something curious about the show – the labels aren't particularly specific. There's a handful of Lupin cels arranged together, and the label simply says “Lupin III”, with an unspecific timeline (“1976-1992”) and that's it. They don't tell you what production each cel is from or even the individual director of each film represented.

The only Lupin stuff they got, to my knowledge is from Miyazaki's work on the second series, which would mean between 79-80. If you E-bay the Streamline tape "Lupin's Greatest Capers", you'll be able to recognize it.

Quote:
He came up empty-handed time and again, until eventually writing to Hayao Miyazaki himself and offering up a Gertie the Dinosaur cel in exchange for something from Spirited Away, and never heard back.

Woulda been smarter to pay for a trip to see the cels so he could touch and correct them. Laughing

I'm surprised how much Wedding Peach crap there was there. It was kind of awkward bringin' my mom and havin' her see the one which had them in skivviez, though.
Spoofer

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Ooh, purty purty Oscar François de Jarjayes cels; I wants. =o
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
Lack of info or not, those are some pretty cells to look at. Especially the Evangelion one.
LondinCalling

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote
That Evangelion Cell is golden.

But this collecter has NO RESPECT!
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Although it's impossible to find out who painted those cels, I figured out who's drew the original drawings behind Akira cels.

Akira cel: Tetsuo covered with fire-fighting foam
Key Animation: Toyoaki Emura (key animation: Jinroh and Ghost in the Sehll)
Animation correction: Koji Morimoto (dir. of Animatrix and Genius Party Beyond)
Cel coloring: Since it's impossible to identify which ink & paint artist painted cel, the credit goes to three color key artists/color coordinator: Kimie Yamana, Michiko Ikeuchi, Setsuko Tanaka

Pan shot of Kaneda's bike in the Olympic stadium
key animation: Toshio Kawaguchi (animation supervisor: Pompoko and Porco Rosso)

Kaneda looking back while riding his motorcycle
key animation: Shinji Hashimoto (character designer of Animatrix: Kid's story)

Reference Source: "AKira Animation Archive" (Kodansha, 2002)

Kenji Kamiyama (dir. Ghost in the Shell TV) was just BG artist of AKira. Maybe he painted one of those BG's on display. Who knows? The mystery remains.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Doggie Kruger wrote:
I just came back from the exhibition.

The Good thing:
It was awesome

the Bad thing:
You can`t take pictures

So if the person who did the review can share some more, I`ll be more than happy.

I would have my doubts about it. If regular photography is prohibited, then Zac was allowed to do it albeit a limited amount because of his industry involvement. The purpose of the Zac taking pictures was to give us a preview and an idea of what to expect if and when we go. And it's probably a one time thing on his part, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:48 am Reply with quote
Cryssoberyl wrote:
It must surely be a lack of photographs, but it would almost seem as though there is nothing from Utena in this exhibit. But that would be absurd! n_n;;

Fallen Wings wrote:
But lucky I didn't lose my temper when I was flicking through and didn't see anything Harlock/ Galaxy Express 999 related. Because at the end I was pretty much like "Ahh ... there you are Harlock." when I saw those images.

Comments like this confuse me. Just because you think something should be in someone else's private collection... doesn't mean it's in there. Maybe they don't like the same things you do. Shock.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Fallen Wings wrote:
But lucky I didn't lose my temper when I was flicking through and didn't see anything Harlock/ Galaxy Express 999 related. Because at the end I was pretty much like "Ahh ... there you are Harlock." when I saw those images.

Comments like this confuse me. Just because you think something should be in someone else's private collection... doesn't mean it's in there. Maybe they don't like the same things you do. Shock.

Of course people don't like all the shows I like. Just this show was showing alot of famous shows and I personally thinking that if all these classics were there then I would assume Harlock/ Galaxy Express 999 would have been there.
Also I completely missed that part where it did belong only to one guy and his wife, if I didn't skimp over that I would have most likely wouldn't have said that. But again I did therefore I feel like an idiot for missing that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3