• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion: 1.0's English Dub Cast Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
I'm not all that upset with Rei being recast. Brina Palencia is a good choice to replace her.
The way she voiced Eve from Black Cat is a good comparison to how she will probably do Rei. I think she fits the role rather well.
As for the rest of the cast, I'm very pleased with them. Shinji, Misato, and Gendo were the 3 main VAs I was hoping to make a return.
Now all that's left is that, if they manage to acquire You Can (Not) Advance in the future, that they get Tiffany Grant to reprise Auska.

Agreed, I think she'll do a nice job, I've liked her performances. Asuka's my remaining key to the rebuild dubs and not just because she's my favorite character, it's also how unique Tiffany's voice is for her.

merr wrote:
Funi's worked with Tiffany Grant plenty of times in the past (e.g., as Nojiko in One Piece), so I don't see any reason why they couldn't get her back for the next movie.

You're right she has so I don't know what I was thinking, I shouldn't have posted so fast because I let pessimism get the best of me there, also as has been said before she's very likely to want to do Asuka again if given the opportunity so there is actually a very good chance.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat May 23, 2009 9:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
http://www.myspace.com/spikespencerfrickingenius
Okay, no contest, coolest guy ever. Pretty excited about the new Eva movie.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
s....

SET SAIL FOR THIRD IMPACT!!!

I can't tell you how much this made my day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
ADV's dub of the TV series, like most of their dubs, really doesn't hold up these days at all, so I usually switch to the Japanese track (with its all around brilliant performances). However, it is somewhat nice to know that Spike Spencer will be returning as Shinji.

Justin Cook is a perfect choice for Toji, by the way. We've already seen him play the tough guy Yusuke Urameshi in Yu Yu Hakusho. The same voice will be good for Toji.

But who will play Pen Pen, huh? Huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Ah, the epic question. Smile
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Good news all around. Good for Sgt. Frog fans, finally! I would have liked to know a date for the Eva movie, but I am sure that will come soon enough.

I predict sometime this summer they will announce that they have already secured the rights to the second movie. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm torn. I was really, really hoping Greg Ayres would be cast as Kaworu again, but...thinking about how much of a fanboy of NGE I know Greg to be, Kensuke might be an even better role for him. Anime hyper It's great to see Spike and Allison back, too! And I wasn't attached to AWL as Rei, and I've really enjoyed Brina in what I've seen of Hell Girl so far, so I think she's an excellent choice. I have the director's cut on DVD, but I can't remember what Swasey sounded like as Gendo--I'll have to rewatch and see. It's a shame the original isn't coming back, though, although I expected that he wouldn't considering what I've heard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Why Monica Rial we be providing the voice of our peculiar penguin pal
irishninja

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Good news all around. Good for Sgt. Frog fans, finally! I would have liked to know a date for the Eva movie, but I am sure that will come soon enough.

I predict sometime this summer they will announce that they have already secured the rights to the second movie. Smile

November 10th, last I saw. Now I just wish I could remember WHERE I saw it. Embarassed
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Why Monica Rial we be providing the voice of our peculiar penguin pal

That I could accept.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
irishninja wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

November 10th, last I saw. Now I just wish I could remember WHERE I saw it. Embarassed

Funi's Eva 1.01 site probably.
Shwiggie

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I was actually hoping for an all-new cast, but I can certainly live with this. I just hope they don't attempt to slavishly ape the original performances. I've been watching them for close to ten years now, and, while I'm not among those who hated the original dub, it can stand much improvement. By-and-large, it's commendable how much better localization efforts are these days.

Two points I had to laugh about:
1) Eh-va or E-va?
2) Toji's getting his, what, fourth English VA?
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Probably considering the dub is in Texas and Amanda now resides in LA.

Is that still an issue? I was under the impression that most voice actors (anime and otherwise) work by email these days, so geography is less of an issue.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I am also somewhat disappointed that Tristan MacAvery wont be coming back. I remember listening to the DC episodes and wondering why Gendo sounded flat. I'm not saying that John Swasey isn't a good VA, but when MacAvery's Gendo says, "Correct," it's like a steel spike being driven into your skull. MacAvery's Gendo sounds a lot harder, more ruthless, and harsh, IMO. That's how I think Gendo is supposed to sound.

I thought that Swasey did a servicable job as Gendo, but I just wish there was some way to get MacAvery back. I guess there wasn't one, though.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
A similar thing happened when ADV dubbed Slayers Premium, they tried to get the New York cast back but were only able to get Crispin Freeman as Zelgadis (his longest role by episode count and my fave role he did). I know Cynthia Martinez, Chris Patton, and Luci Christian are good voice actors/actresses (Honestly,I found Chris Pattons's dub of Yuichi in the Kanon 2006 series better than the great performance his Japanese counterpart did).

However, I just feel the butchered the respective roles of Lina, Gourry, and Amelia. To me, only Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, and Veronica Taylor (Though Sarah Natochenny is hot on the eyes, her role of Ash is total crap compared to Veronica, the only true dubbed Ash) should've done those voices. I've been to Amanda's Live Journal and she hasn't done a lot of voice acting in the last few years. That might be a reason why she wasn't available. It's possible that if and when the licensors get 2.0, Amanda might be able to reprise her role as Rei.

I loved Amanda's role as Rei and Allison doing Misato. However, Tiffany Grant's role as the bitchy Asuka (If she unable to do Asuka, that is disappointing because she did her so well. She doesn't appear until the 8th TV episode. Since the movies are essentially semi recycled animation with new stuff, the first movie only covered up to like the first 5 or 6 episodes.) and Spike's role as the wimpy and emo Shinji (I find Shinji to be the most emo anime character and even more of a loser than Sasuke Uchiha) that are my favorite parts of the dub. Honestly, if Spike and Asuka couldn't reprise their roles if and when 2.0 gets released, I will then watch it subbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8