• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Most Popular Gundam Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMBounty_Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
midori kou wrote:
I amazed to see so few Gundam Wing characters on the list. Zechs is not even on the list! O_O!!! Has the world gone mad?!?!

because its more like Gundam Wang.....

good to see the Zaku II is in the top 10 Very Happy
too bad GMs get no love Sad

they will probobly redo the poll after the new Zeta movies are released
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
But I wonder how many of the SEED characters will stay if the poll was taken again after SEED has died down a bit. I personally can't see someone like Natarle Badjrule on that list in a few years.

I wouldn't be so sure. If such "lower tier" characters as Cima Garahau and Crowley Hamon can make the list, I don't see why Natarle would only make it on the "SEED is new" crutch. Granted, stuff like Luna & Stellar placing in the Top 5 is a bit off, but I think generalising just about all of SEED's cast as "only making it because it's a new show" is just foolish, really.

midori kou wrote:
I amazed to see so few Gundam Wing characters on the list. Zechs is not even on the list! O_O!!! Has the world gone mad?!?!

I'd say "the world's" tastes have improved a bit, actually. The vast majority of Wing's cast is completely flat & one-dimensional, while the most "depth" others get is the task of pulling Deus Ex Machina leaps in logic to jumpstart a stale plot. Of course, the real shame is that the most vapid and aimless character in the series (Heero) places eighth while the few characters to get legitimate development (Treize, for example) are nowhere to be found.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Akuma-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, seeing Lacus at the top of the list of favorite Females depressed me. Majorly.

Though seeing Fllay on the list at all depressed me as well. Fllay doesn't strike me as the type who's very deserving of it. I would have placed Murrue higher, and stuck Noin or Sally Po on the list as well. Both of them are good characters, compared to what SEED has to offer (though, I must say, I prefer the females of SEED to the females of Wing).

As for the males, it's a pleasant surprise to see Yzak so high on the list. And Mu, too. I would have put Mu maybe a little higher, and most definitely not have had Heero up there, but. I personally never understood Heero Yuy's appeal. I would have liked seeing Duo higher, and Quatre or Trowa on the list, since both of them aren't bad characters either. Dearka should be a little further up, too. Nicol, too. I can't believe he's not on the list.

Overall, I agree with those who are saying that it's just because it's hot the characters are so popular. But, I think another factor is that SEED is newer too, and more people have seen it. I myself have only seen SEED and Wing, with bits and pieces of a couple other series', and a little of SD and G Gundam. Personally, I wasn't a big fan of G Gundam, and don't see how Domon made the list, buuut.

To each their own =P.
darkhunger
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I agree, the poll should be redone in a year or two, particularly a year when maybe Bandai doesn't release a new Gundam series, in order to get more accurate results. No offense to the SEED characters, but some of them are only there because its on TV right now. If the poll was taken while Wing was still on, all of the main characters would be on the list, most likely.

These polls are taken on Gundam Ace periodically... The last "Top Characters" polls for male and female characters from all of Gundam and "Top mecha" (from the June/July/August/Sept issues of Gundam Ace, which were published when there were no Gundam series on air) had the following results:

Gundam Best 10 - Your favorite Male characters.
1) Char Aznable - 21234 votes
2) Amuro Ray - 12367
3) Anavel Gato - 7657
4) Kira Yamato - 5456
5) Shiro Amada - 3456
6) Heero Yuy - 3214
7) Kamille Bidan - 2123
8) Athrun Zala - 1232
9) Duo Maxwell - 987
10) Ramba Ral - 876

Gundam Best 10 Poll - Your Favorite Female Characters
1) Lacus Clyne - 19789 votes
2) Sayla Mass - 18689
3) Cagalli Yula Athha 9678
4) Aina Sahalin - 8429
5) Haman Karn - 8254
6) Christina Mackenzie - 6515
7) Tiffa Adil - 4588
8) Elpeo Ple - 1879
9) Matilda Ajan - 1067
10) Cima Garahau - 497

Gundam Best 10 Poll - Your favorite Gundam
1) Zeta Gundam
2) RX-78-2 Gundam
3) Freedom Gundam
4) Nu Gundam
5) Gundam Mk-II
6) Wing Custom Zero
7) GP02 Gundam Physalis
8) Turn A Gundam
9) GP01 Gundam Zephyranthes
10) Gundam F91
11) Justice Gundam
12) Gundam Deathscythe
13) God Gundam
14) RX-79[G] Gundam Ground-Type

Gundam Best 10 - Favorite Non-Gundam MS
1) MSN-04 Sazabi
2) MS-06F/J Zaku II
3) MS-09 Dom
4) MS-14S Char's Gelgoog
5) AMX-004 Qubeley
6) MS-07B Gouf
7) MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki
8) MSM-07 Z'Gok
9) RGM-79 GM
10) MSM-04 Acguy

I think some of you might take these as the more accurate polls since they were taken after the first SEED had ended for a while and before SEED Destiny started.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
That old poll seems more balanced than the new one. It's also nice to see God Gundam get on that list, though Heero is higher up on that poll...I remember liking Gundam Wing when I watched it, but I was younger then and it was also my first Gundam, so I didn't know that there was better stuff out there. Still, Wing Gundam Zero "Custom" holds a special place in my heart...
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
1) Char Aznable - MSG/The Origin

That's no surprise. Char's one of my all-time favorite anime characters and is certainly the most interesting, charasmatic, engaging Gundam character.

Quote:
2) Athrun Zala - SEED DESTINY
3) Kira Yamato - SEED DESTINY

On one hand, I'm not surprised by this, since SEED and SEED DESTINY are still new, so the new generation of Gundam fans are likely to vote for the latest characters. But neither Athrun nor Kira are very interesting at all. SEED is probably one of the better AU Gundam shows, but that's not saying much, considering the others (Gundam Wing, G Gundam... I've heard Gundam X is stellar, though!).

Quote:
4) Amuro Ray - MSG/The Origin

If there was justice in the world, Amuro Ray would be number 2.

Quote:
5) Anavel Gato - 0083

I can sort of see where fans love Gato. He SEEMS to have character depth and emotion. But to me, he's ulimately just a mindless Zeon robot. I wasn't convinced by this character at all.

Quote:
8) Heero Yuy - Wing

I'm not a huge fan of Gundam Wing, as it fooled me into thinking it was a benchmark series when I was still in my early years of anime fandom. After viewing UC Gundam shows, I realized how lame Gundam Wing is. However, even though he speaks in monotone and wears shorts that make you wonder if he's a unic, I always liked Heero Yuy. With all the other melodramatic characters making long speeches about peace and war, Heero always spoke in simple, calm, deadly phrases. He could make phone numbers sound deadly by reciting them. And he was indestructable (almost as indestructable as those absurdly powerful Gundams the G-boys piloted). Maybe he was a sweet, caring person underneath it all. But I hoped he wasn't, because he kicked ass.

Quote:
6) Haman Karn - Zeta Gundam

Haman Karn is the most powerful and interesting women in any Universal Century Gundam show I've seen. She's a brilliant newtype pilot, a military strategist, a politician, a puppeteer, and just overall a fantastic character. It's too bad she isn't higher on the list. I think she deserved more credit than Cagalli, Sayla, or Lacus.

I am glad that Reccoa isn't on the list. spoiler[The traitorous witch deserves nothing but contempt.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KooKiz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote
I really dislike Gundam Wing, but I'm pretty amazed that Epyon isn't in the top30. Am I the only one who like this original gundam design ?
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of Gundam Wing, as it fooled me into thinking it was a benchmark series when I was still in my early years of anime fandom. After viewing UC Gundam shows, I realized how lame Gundam Wing is.

You're not the only one. I used to think that Gundam Wing was the ultimate anime show. Then again, at that age, I also thought that DBZ was a really good show...

KooKiz wrote:
I really dislike Gundam Wing, but I'm pretty amazed that Epyon isn't in the top30. Am I the only one who like this original gundam design ?

You're not alone, Epyon was always cool, and a lot of the designs in Gundam Wing were pretty cool as well, despite the poor quality of the rest of the series.
Jacut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:24 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who would have placed Kamille Bidan 1st? He's my favourite male character ever in anime, and so much more developped than the obvious rookie pilots we see in every mecha series.
It's a shame though that Lacus won the female poll, she has no depth at all. I would have voted for Cagalli, Haman Karn or Diana from Turn A.
And we don't see that much characters from one of the best series in my opinion : Victory Gundam. Moreover, it has some very unique mechas and the wonderful Gundam V2!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:01 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I am glad that Reccoa isn't on the list. spoiler[The traitorous witch deserves nothing but contempt.]

spoiler[Why did Reccoa join the Titans and as a result of that it lead to her death, because Char was too blind to see that she loved him.]I will never forgive him for what he did.

Huh post 93 maybe I should change my avatar to something that fits that number.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:50 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Lacus ... has no depth at all.

I beg to differ, actually. There's a lot more to her than she herself lets on. She plays the ditzy "sweet & innocent" act because it's her public image, and it also allows her to really...well...manpulate people when she has to (spoiler[even to the point of saving her own hide; I somehow don't see her stay on the Archangel being nearly as pleasant had she not played dumb]). However, being the daughter of one of PLANT's top politicians, she knows a lot more than she lets on, and pretty much uses that knowledge spoiler[to assemble a force of her own to oppose both the Atlantic Federation and Patrick Zala all at once (hell, she even turns his own son against him with her deceptively clairvoyant wiles).]

More depth than many other Gundam females get, that's for sure.

JinchuuGundam85 wrote:
Huh post 93 maybe I should change my avatar to something that fits that number.

Amen to that. Any plans for a Crossbone Vanguard avatar once you reach 123 posts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JinchuuGundam85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:38 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Any plans for a Crossbone Vanguard avatar once you reach 123 posts?

I don't think I will ever have a Crossbone Vanguard avatar since I don't know if they have an emblem and I am alittle confused with the "bad" Crossbone Vangaurd and the "good" one that is in Crossbone Gundam. When I get to post 111 I will have something from the Formula series though. After that I'll probably go back to Wing Gundam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2