• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sengoku Basara TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Milarkie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess we'll have to wait some more for the simulcast debacle to be sorted out.

Also, Mike "Sinterklass" should be Sinterniklaas. You have it spelled correctly in the AX Feature, but not in this article.
MJP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe it took this long.

ARE YOU READY GUYS?!

PUT YA GUNS ON!
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't want anyone to get me wrong the Sengoku news is very rad and as fan of Slayers you damn well better believe I appreciated that casting announcement.

The whole lack of Soul Eater just made me think back to the way they announced Ouran High's cast.. with it's own panel. Soul Eater is most certainly a bigger deal with many folks compared to Ouran High so it's not too unreasonable to expect they'll do a Soul Eater panel.

But that aside is it really so surprising that I (and I'm sure some others) am quite disappointed we got absolutely nothing on Funi's newer series like Oh! Edo Rocket, Nabari no Ou, et cetra?
DRWii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's too bad I won't be able to finish "Sengoku Basara" for a while, but at least when I do it'll be legally. Smile
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
The Slayers castlist made my jaw drop! Especially the fact that both Lisa Ortiz and Eric Stuart are there, when they've both mostly disappeared from the anime scene. Now I'm really excited to see what the English track on this sounds like!

And I'm thinking I'll check out Sengoku Basara, too. I don't know a lot about it, but what I have heard makes it sound like a ton of fun, so I hope it gets solicited pretty quickly.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping they put Sengoku Basara up online to preview it. I was sick of waiting around for fansubbers to finish it anyway.

I like what I've seen of it so far, but if I had to pick a series from the new season for them to license, it would have been Eden of the East. Maybe the prospect of two movie releases scared them off?
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
No brainer really. The series will really appeal to the general US audience.
My only main concern is how they keep licensing stuff, too much stuff, meaning we have to wait AGES for a release.
If they're going to keep this up, they should at least offer some free legal streams.
They need to realize that DVD and Blu-ray isn't the main market anymore. Digital distribution is the way forward, also cutting costs at the same time.
They've made mild progress with a few series, they stuff like Soul Eater, Nabari, etc, are all chances missed.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
The Slayers castlist made my jaw drop! Especially the fact that both Lisa Ortiz and Eric Stuart are there, when they've both mostly disappeared from the anime scene. Now I'm really excited to see what the English track on this sounds like!

And I'm thinking I'll check out Sengoku Basara, too. I don't know a lot about it, but what I have heard makes it sound like a ton of fun, so I hope it gets solicited pretty quickly.

It's not so much that they've disappeared, it's more so that there isn't much work for voice actors in New York anymore. 4Kids doesn't do a lot, Media Blasters doesn't always use a New York cast, or even have a dub, and CPM is gone.

OMG they confirmed the DragonBall sets. The first time ever in North America that the first 13 episodes will be released Uncut. Soz. That's certainly better then some show I haven't a clue about (Songoku what now?).
ScrappedAeon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I am so stoked for uncut DB, gonna be so much better than the set I have now (which has 13 episodes plus the first movie, but I only paid $5 for it at Walmart).
Electrastar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
YES!
I couldn't get into Slayers Revolution because I'm so used to the voices used in the dub. I'm so HAPPY that all the main characters we're not changed (except for Xellos, but I can live with that). I'm looking forward to 2010 now, I can't believe they got Lisa Ortiz to play Lina again, soooo happy!
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Xellos' character was my favorite voice in the Slayers bunch, but having everybody else returning more than makes up for it. I'm sure Mr. Snikerlata Skinertal Sinterklen Mike will do a wonderful job.
SYLiENT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote
They stated that the Soul Eater dub cast will be announced later - I believe they said in September. Though right now at the FUNimation booth in the dealer's hall there is a small snippet of it being played with one dubbed line.

As for Higashi no Eden/Eden of the East - someone asked and the response was something along the lines of "We can't say at this moment." If anything it'll be announced tomorrow during the Production I.G. panel since the representative for Production I.G. visited to talk about Basara briefly (and pitched her panel that will discuss their newest properties). ... FUNimation probably does have it, but can't announce it at this time. (Well, that's what I think at least....)

I believe someone asked during the Q&A session about Nabari no Ou - September 22nd, first thirteen episodes.

Awww, what's with all the lack of Basara love? Hopefully along with the license the games will get a redo and release (Shame on you Capcom! Shame on you! D:< ).
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I too am glad they got most of the original Slayers cast back (Actually, there was another actress that did Amelia shortly before Veronica and Crispin replaced the original Zelgadis. However, Crispin and Veronica are better than them). I feel David Moo would be better reprising his Xellos role if he got the chance but I know Michael Sinterniklaas will do him justice (his last name is "Santa Claus" in Dutch). I thank Funimation for keeping most of the NY cast. I respect ADV's talent cast but (excluding Crispin reprising his role in Slayers Premium) just think their voices sucked for Slayers (just those roles because I'd say all their other roles Cynthia Martinez, Chris Patton, and Luci Christian rule).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
They need to realize that DVD and Blu-ray isn't the main market anymore. Digital distribution is the way forward, also cutting costs at the same time.

No, not quite there yet. Far from it. Online video is simply not (yet? what's it waiting for?) profitable. It does however cut costs. Too bad it cuts profits even more. While DVD sales have declined for anime and on the whole, it's still huge ($22.4 billion in 2008). Meanwhile, the giants of online video like Hulu (no profit here) and Youtube (no profit here either) haven't generated a profit yet. You expect Funimation's piddly little site to be profitable? (No slight intended to Funimation, but by comparison it's very piddly.)

I can think of several reasons why it isn't profitable. People loathe ads. They do everything they can to avoid them. Do you have an ad blocker of some kind running? Then you're part of the problem. What? Don't like seeing and clicking on annoying web ads? Then how do you expect them to generate a profit? What do people loathe more than web ads? Unskippable ads (I believe this is the dreaded "commercial" the ancients spoke of) before or during the video itself. Wow, the 1970s pre-VCR TV experience is back.

The last reason I can think of is that the fans are pretty much full of shit. They love their funky japanese cartoons, but they love one thing more: Free funky japanese cartoons. With no restrictions of any kind. At the same time it airs in Japan or as near immediately after as possible. Unfortunately for the licensors of anime, such a creature already exists: the fansub. And its viewers don't care about your silly profit margins or need to pay the rent and employees; many of them hope you go out of business. They just know their beloved anime will always be around, funded by I don't know what.

I wish I could get accurate numbers on fansub downloads vs people viewing official online video releases of series like the FMA remake and such. I'd be absolutely shocked if the number of fansub downloaders didn't dwarf the official version viewers. And most of those fansub viewers will never pay for any version of it. Fansub popularity simply doesn't translate to DVD sales. Take Lucky Star: I hear it's popular with the fans. I bet DVD sales were great... oh, not so much? They canceled the Special Edition of the 6th volume and the OVA isn't getting a dub? Wonder what happened to all the fans.

So it's quite the dilemma. You're not going to eradicate fansubs (I wouldn't want that in the first place), but I don't see how you're going to get people to pay for something they've become accustomed to getting for free. Well, I can say I've done my part. Yeah, I watch a lot of fansubs, and I don't feel any guilt about it. But I buy a lot of DVDs and Blu-rays. Japanese and domestic. More than is recommended or sane. I'm not sure I'd recommend that to everyone.

Digital distribution is still a pipe dream. DVD and Blu-ray is still the main market, and int the meanwhile they need to figure out how to get people to pay for something intangible that most won't watch more than once or twice, when a free alternative already exists.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:43 pm Reply with quote
OMG. Thank you powers at be who got the original Slayers cast back together. I have friends who will piss their jeans at the news. I'm disappointed in the lack of David Moo (although everyone else seems to hate him) but whatever. I'm happy with what I got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4